Tangerine Retention Rates Q4 (Oct 4) 2017 | Page 6 | Tangerine Bank | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Tangerine Retention Rates Q4 (Oct 4) 2017
October 4, 2017
9:38 am
mr P. Pincer
Members
Forum Posts: 28
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
101sp_Permalink sp_Print

I got the 2.75%. I'll being pulling it back from Hubert on friday when the hold expires.

October 4, 2017
9:52 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3924
102sp_Permalink sp_Print

RicksBank, I believe your current rate will continue to show 1%, that's for existing balance. The offer indicates a further (in your case) 1.75% "Additional Interest" for new money.

October 4, 2017
9:56 am
Brimleychen
Members
Forum Posts: 258

I pushed from Tang to PCF's saving account directly, and there is no hold period, and I just pulled them back to Tang again. Puzzling why PCF doesn't hold in my savings!

October 4, 2017
10:08 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2876
104sp_Permalink sp_Print

seems like dont even need to click anything to "accept the offer" ? Its automatic.

But yeah like others said, did not a email notification re new promotion at all, wierd.

October 4, 2017
10:13 am
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members
Forum Posts: 4241
105sp_Permalink sp_Print

Bill said
RicksBank, I believe your current rate will continue to show 1%, that's for existing balance. The offer indicates a further (in your case) 1.75% "Additional Interest" for new money.  

Keep in mind, if the BoC raises rates by a quarter point in October or December or by half a point in both months, your Additional Interest Rate is likely to be adjusted downward to stay the same. Tangerine is sneaky and they did this, largely unnoticed other than on this forum, in July. 🙂

Cheers,
Doug

October 4, 2017
10:35 am
HIS285
Members
Forum Posts: 35
106sp_Permalink sp_Print

I got a paltry 2.12%.

October 4, 2017
10:37 am
DavidAlta13
Members
Forum Posts: 92
107sp_Permalink sp_Print

2.75% for me in AB.

As the effective date changed to the 4th from the 5th the last two quarters, I looked at the April & July calendars versus October's and drew this conclusion:
Tang uses the 2nd & 3rd business days, not the 4th & 5th calendar days:
The special promo rates are effective the 3rd business day of the new quarter, with "new deposits" being anything above the balances at the end of the 2nd business day.

If true, then for Dec '17 / Jan '18, we'll be back to the 4th / 5th of Jan scenario.
For Mar / Apr, 2018, for those outside Quebec, it would be the 3rd / 4th of Apr.
It gets trickier for Que residents as Quebec's banks are not closed on Mar 30 for Good Friday but are closed on Apr 2 for Easter Monday. I don't know what Tang will do in Que, but it's probably better to be safe & have money out by the end of Apr 3rd.
For the rest of 2018 & Jan 2019:
Jul: 4th / 5th
Oct: 2nd / 3rd
Jan '19: 3rd / 4th

October 4, 2017
10:39 am
DavidAlta13
Members
108sp_Permalink sp_Print

No email yet, just online. Emails have shown up a day late in the past, so maybe we'll get them tomorrow.

October 4, 2017
10:39 am
Mhooper
Members
Forum Posts: 14
109sp_Permalink sp_Print

In Ont I also received offer of 2.75% vs 3.25% for last quarter.

October 4, 2017
11:20 am
bpwest
Members
Forum Posts: 84

DavidAlta13 said
2.75% for me in AB.

As the effective date changed to the 4th from the 5th the last two quarters, I looked at the April & July calendars versus October's and drew this conclusion:
Tang uses the 2nd & 3rd business days, not the 4th & 5th calendar days:
The special promo rates are effective the 3rd business day of the new quarter, with "new deposits" being anything above the balances at the end of the 2nd business day.

If true, then for Dec '17 / Jan '18, we'll be back to the 4th / 5th of Jan scenario.
For Mar / Apr, 2018, for those outside Quebec, it would be the 3rd / 4th of Apr.
It gets trickier for Que residents as Quebec's banks are not closed on Mar 30 for Good Friday but are closed on Apr 2 for Easter Monday. I don't know what Tang will do in Que, but it's probably better to be safe & have money out by the end of Apr 3rd.
For the rest of 2018 & Jan 2019:
Jul: 4th / 5th
Oct: 2nd / 3rd
Jan '19: 3rd / 4th  

Hi DavidAlta13,

This contradicts your post #1 and #75 (I think), in regards to traditional snapshot dates, and has not been my recent experience. My snapshot date was Apr 4 & July 4, with special rate taking affect on the 5th. I can't directly speak to dates earlier than April 2017, as I had taken phoned-in retention rates, but had thought the snapshot date was the 4th the last two years, from comments of others.

Indeed, this latest offer came as somewhat of a surprise to most, although I, and many, don't wait until the last possible moment to transfer out of savings, lest Tang 'throw us a curveball'. i.e. I had my money out 'in time', and had negligible amts in my savings today.

Today's 'surprise' offer reinforces the idea that future actions (of Tang) do not always follow past strategies, dates, etc, and this quarterly 'special rate offer' may well, as some have suggested, be discontinued in the future.

October 4, 2017
11:31 am
DavidAlta13
Members
111sp_Permalink sp_Print

Doug said

Keep in mind, if the BoC raises rates by a quarter point in October or December or by half a point in both months, your Additional Interest Rate is likely to be adjusted downward to stay the same. Tangerine is sneaky and they did this, largely unnoticed other than on this forum, in July. 🙂

Cheers,
Doug  

Tang's Special Offer terms say the rates are fixed for the period offered. That means that if the Posted Rate declines, they will not lower our fixed Special Offer Rates.
For most folks, if there is a change to Tang's Posted Rate that results in an equal & opposite change to the Additional Rate, having a little more or less paid in the last day of the current month vs. the first day of the next is insignificant.

October 4, 2017
11:47 am
DavidAlta13
Members
112sp_Permalink sp_Print

bpwest said

Hi DavidAlta13,

This contradicts your post #1 and #75 (I think), in regards to traditional snapshot dates, and has not been my recent experience. My snapshot date was Apr 4 & July 4, with special rate taking affect on the 5th. I can't directly speak to dates earlier than April 2017, as I had taken phoned-in retention rates, but had thought the snapshot date was the 4th the last two years, from comments of others.

Indeed, this latest offer came as somewhat of a surprise to most, although I, and many, don't wait until the last possible moment to transfer out of savings, lest Tang 'throw us a curveball'. i.e. I had my money out 'in time', and had negligible amts in my savings today.

Today's 'surprise' offer reinforces the idea that future actions (of Tang) do not always follow past strategies, dates, etc, and this quarterly 'special rate offer' may well, as some have suggested, be discontinued in the future.  

Hi bpwest,

Sorry if informing folks that Tang uses business days (2nd & 3rd) instead of the previously mentioned calendars days (4th & 5th) was confusing.
I only deduced this based after being caught by surprise when today's offer was a day earlier than expected. My surprise was due to my having made up expectations based on a false assumption on my part, not to a change in Tang's approach, and we all know what happens when we assume...

Tang has always followed this past strategy of using the 2nd & 3rd business days of the new quarter and based on today's offers, there is NO sign they will be discontinued.

October 4, 2017
12:37 pm
rfdm4g4g9
Members
Forum Posts: 252

Does anyone here have a SCOTIA bank account ? Has anyone pulled a large amount from Scotia into Tangerine, without any issues or NSF.

I have $ 316,000 sitting in it. Its linked to my Tangerine Savings account.

I am PULLING the money from Tangerine, so the entire $ 316,000 from Scotia will come into Tangerine. I want to withdraw in 1 day.

I don't mind doing splitting the transaction like 100,000 + 100,000 + 100,000 + 16,000 if they have a per transaction limit. Don't mind doing 4 different transactions on the same day.

Does Scotia have a daily withdrawal limit of $ 100,000 or something even if I am Pulling from Tangerine & NOT pushing from Scotia.

I don't want NSF charges on both sides if there is a limit.

This thread below scares me. sf-surprised

The OP pulled $ 200,000 from DUCA so money from Tangerine came into DUCA. He didn't push from Tangerine.

OP( tcharger67 ) exceeded the Tangerine daily withdrawal limit, so even though he had money in Tangerine, he was charged NSF by both DUCA and Tangerine !

https://www.highinterestsavings.ca/forum/your-stories/tangerine-warning/

tcharger67 said
Well guys I decided to switch my savings into Duca financial last week. Unfortunately I got a nasty awakening when I checked my Tangerine Account today
2 No sufficient funds charges on my tangerine... Why because the two withdrawls had exceeded their daily withdrawl limits.

Now there is a back story to this. When I had opened my accounts with Tangerine, I asked them if it would be possible to move more than the daily withdrawl limit, and was informed that yes, it would be no problem, as long as Tangerine had been informed.
So last week, i got onto tangerines chat, and spoke to the rep, he informed me the transactions each at 100,000 would be no problem, and that i could move the funds to Duca.
Guess what happened today. 2x 40.00 NSF funds at Tangerine, and 2 NSF charges at Duca.
I just spent over an hour on the phone with tangerine, spoke to 3 different individuals, and apparently the chat history was *not available* and could only show that I had spoken to someone on the day of the transaction. further more, only Tangerine will refund their two NSF 40.00$ transactions, not DUCAs

I have never had a bank make me so unbelivably frustrated and i will never do business with them again.
Hope you guys get dont make the same mistake, and always keep your records.  

October 4, 2017
12:37 pm
JustMe2016
Members
Forum Posts: 129

On Sept 27 I pulled all the money to Alterna Bank. I'm in Ontario and got 2.75%. Previously had 3.22% until Sept 30.

October 4, 2017
1:41 pm
FMC
Members
115sp_Permalink sp_Print

Got 2.4%, friend got 2.75% We both in Ontario. Last time I got nothing. Can't say I'm overly thrilled with this offer.

October 4, 2017
1:55 pm
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3924
116sp_Permalink sp_Print

Gotta love humans! If I get 2.5% and everybody else gets 2.25% I'm very happy, if I get 2.5% and everybody else gets 2.75% I'm not happy! Pretty potent stuff, envy.

October 4, 2017
2:18 pm
FMC
Members
117sp_Permalink sp_Print

Not sure Bill if your reply is a direct response to mine or just a general comment. If a direct response to mine, if there is any hassle at all with Tangerine, then next time I will leave my money where it is. It's marginally better than I can get at EQ. Others, many others, have said same. No envy here. One gets what one gets. Perhaps I'm alien. 🙂

October 4, 2017
2:29 pm
rhvic
Victoria, BC
Members
Forum Posts: 468
118sp_Permalink sp_Print

Joebart said
I got 2.55% and it is kind disappointing. I am just not sure if I will move money back from EQ. For me the difference in interest rate will make $225 difference between EQ and Tangerine over three months. Its not big , disappointment.  

Joebart, if I saw $225 laying on the sidewalk, I would bend over and pick it up. Heck, I even pick up nickels and dimes! My money goes to the highest rate (up to the deposit insurance level for that FI)

October 4, 2017
2:43 pm
rhvic
Victoria, BC
Members
119sp_Permalink sp_Print

I found out that my offer is 2.75%. Had to go to my savings account and click on the interest rate tab to see the offer.

Previously I was at 3.22%. BC resident, with a Tang MC. Moved 99K out last week.

I'll move some money back to Tang until something better comes along. This new offer is disappointing given the recent BoC rate increases, and prior offers.

October 4, 2017
2:54 pm
rhvic
Victoria, BC
Members
120sp_Permalink sp_Print

I just arranged a pull of funds to Tang from Ideal. Interesting that Tang seems quite happy to pull 99K in one day as long as it is coming in, but won't push more than 25K daily if it is going out.

Please write your comments in the forum.