Tangerine Retention Rates Q4 (Oct 4) 2017 | Page 10 | Tangerine Bank | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Tangerine Retention Rates Q4 (Oct 4) 2017
October 6, 2017
4:47 am
fbeaulie
Members
Forum Posts: 82
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

JustMe2016 said
I just spent 1/2 hour on hold to talk to someone at Tangerine and here is what she said.
If you move money to chequing account before promo and then back into saving to profit of new promo it won't work. If you take money out of TFSA account and put it into saving account (again to profit from higher rate) it won't work. That's what she said.

I was really surprised as it goes against what some have written in this forum, as well as what I read in another forum.  

Moving to chequing works.

October 6, 2017
5:26 am
fbeaulie
Members
182sp_Permalink sp_Print

smayer97 said
I am curious...for all those that received an offer of 2.75%, does anyone NOT have a linked account with DUCA Financial, who is also currently offering 2.75% on deposits until Dec 31, or ANY OTHER bank that is offering the same rate?

What I am trying to see if the reason that you received this highest offer is because they can see that you could take your $ there. If someone does NOT have a link with a bank that is offering 2.75% then I can conclude that this is NOT a factor. BUT if ALL have such a link, this may be a factor.  

The highest rate of my linked accounts is 1.9% and I got the 2.75% offer.

October 6, 2017
5:55 am
penniesfromheaven
Members
Forum Posts: 15

I was offered 2.75% via email October 5th, after pulling money out before month-end. My account is linked to EQ and PCF

October 6, 2017
6:22 am
JustMe2016
Members
Forum Posts: 129

fbeaulie said

Moving to chequing works.  

Thanks for the info. But could you please call tangerine and ask if you move your money from saving to chequing before the snapshot date and then move it back into saving after the start of the new promo if it will be considered new money?

Because when I called yesterday I was told that it didn't count as new money. It would be interesting if a few members of this forum would call Tangerine and ask the same question to see what kind of answers we get.

P.S. I haven't yet got the time to read (again) the fine print nor the answers from other members of this forum.

October 6, 2017
6:46 am
RicksBank
Alberta
Members
Forum Posts: 166
185sp_Permalink sp_Print

Moving money from savings to chequing and back is very clearly described in the fine print as being okay. It has worked for me and several others multiple times. I suggest we do not keep phoning them to ask, as it might draw their attention to what they might consider a loophole.

October 6, 2017
7:02 am
bhuc
Toronto
Members
Forum Posts: 138
186sp_Permalink sp_Print

Full Offer Terms and Conditions
Item 14:
States

Any interest paid into an Applicable Account, including Additional Interest, will not be treated as a new deposit for subsequently calculating Additional Interest payments.

...I guess this means no compounding interest on any Interest earned.

Maybe this will work to get compounding interest...
Move the " All Interest" out to another FI and move it back after the hold has expired 5-6 business days

October 6, 2017
7:23 am
RicksBank
Alberta
Members
Forum Posts: 166
187sp_Permalink sp_Print

I read it that interest compounds at 1% instead of 2.75%. No idea how they handle moving money out and back.

October 6, 2017
7:50 am
Slybanking
Members
Forum Posts: 108
188sp_Permalink sp_Print

RicksBank said
Moving money from savings to chequing and back is very clearly described in the fine print as being okay. It has worked for me and several others multiple times. I suggest we do not keep phoning them to ask, as it might draw their attention to what they might consider a loophole.  

Same here. I agree with RicksBank a 100%, lets not try to fix something that's been working so well.

October 6, 2017
7:58 am
AlainJF
Members
Forum Posts: 184

GoHabs said

Appreciate that info, David. I do have a Tangerine chequing account but hesitate to transfer the monies there thinking Tangerine will one day say the funds have to come from outside, not another account. Your approach in point #2 sounds tempting but at the moment I'm trying to keep financial matters as simplified as possible. But one thing I think I can do is delay when I transfer the monies out. I usually do it several days before the end of the promo thinking they used the last day of the promo for your balance when determining what promo rate they will offer you next quarter. I think I can probably wait another 2-3 days.

I'm in QC and got 2.55% this time, down from 3.1%. Disappointing. I saw someone else in QC post they got 2.75% which surprised me since I think we tend to get lower offers here because of having less options.  

I am not using them, but, unless I am wrong, DUCA is available for Quebec and it is covered by DICO.

Consequently, unless I am wrong, you do have a 2.75% option available in Quebec. (ref: https://www.highinterestsavings.ca/forum/tangerine-bank/tangerine-retention-rates-q4-oct-4-2017/page-9/#p25883 )

Question for the Forum Administrator: Why is DUCA not listed in the "Comparison Chart" of this forum ?

October 6, 2017
8:02 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3920

It would probably save a lot of time to take the few minutes to read the fine print re your offer and then if you have any questions about a particular phrase or sentence then bring the question here or else contact Tangerine and ask about the specific wording you find vague/confusing.

October 6, 2017
8:05 am
fbeaulie
Members
191sp_Permalink sp_Print

JustMe2016 said

Thanks for the info. But could you please call tangerine and ask if you move your money from saving to chequing before the snapshot date and then move it back into saving after the start of the new promo if it will be considered new money?

Because when I called yesterday I was told that it didn't count as new money. It would be interesting if a few members of this forum would call Tangerine and ask the same question to see what kind of answers we get.

P.S. I haven't yet got the time to read (again) the fine print nor the answers from other members of this forum.  

It had worked for the previous promotions and the fine prints have not changed.

I rely on the fine prints and not on what I'm told (unless I prefer what I'm told!: in those cases, I keep a copy (I interact with them using their chat to have a copy of it)).

October 6, 2017
8:05 am
Rick
Members
Forum Posts: 1110
192sp_Permalink sp_Print

Slybanking said

Same here. I agree with RicksBank a 100%, lets not try to fix something that's been working so well.  

Moving to checking has worked for me the last two promos. I think the purpose of article 12 was to prevent someone that takes money out after the Oct 3 snapshot, then try to move it back in as new money. Wonder what would happen if you moved it out after Oct 3 to FI #2, moved it from # 2 to # 3, then back to Tang from #3? I guess still count as external links so wouldn't qualify.
I find you can get different answers to the same question from different CSR's at Tang...so wouldn't necessarily take the word of just one. Obviously it does count as new money because they have been paying me the interest for the last two promos, as I expect this promo.

October 6, 2017
8:08 am
AlainJF
Members
193sp_Permalink sp_Print

smayer97 said

So after NOT receiving ANY automatic offers (first time in many yrs sf-surprised ) and rejecting the phone offer when I moved my $ out, I decided to call in again to see if they would still offer me something. I WAS offered 2.5% for ALL funds, existing AND new deposits on ALL my Savings accounts. So calling back and asking paid off.

Also for those asking, the offer is valid from Oct 5 until Jan 2, 2018 only, or 90 days exactly.

YMMV  

So, in your experience, do you think that the Jan 2 date will disqualify you automatically for the next Winter 2018 offer ? (if any).

October 6, 2017
8:10 am
fbeaulie
Members

GoHabs said

(...)

I'm in QC and got 2.55% this time, down from 3.1%. Disappointing. I saw someone else in QC post they got 2.75% which surprised me since I think we tend to get lower offers here because of having less options.

In Quebec and I got 2.75% - I also got the highest rate last Spring. However, for the first time since April 2015, I did not get the "regular" promotional offer last Summer (likely not related, but I sent them a complaint in June about an issue that was not related to my savings accounts) - I finally got 2.5% after a 2-minute chat session.

October 6, 2017
8:15 am
fbeaulie
Members
195sp_Permalink sp_Print

AlainJF said

So, in your experience, do you think that the Jan 2 date will disqualify you automatically for the next Winter 2018 offer ? (if any).  

(see above) I got 2.5% until October 2 and still got the Fall savings offer

October 6, 2017
8:27 am
DavidAlta13
Members
Forum Posts: 92
196sp_Permalink sp_Print

If you didn't get a Special Interest Rate offer and haven't called in to see if you can get the 2.5% on all money (not just new deposits) that others have received, today is your last day to do it and still have a chance for qualifying for the Jan 2018 offer:
Today's 2.5% offers will expire on Jan 3, the 2nd business day and"snapshot" date, so money will have to be out to chequing or another FI by the end of Jan 3.
It appears that if you have a 2.5% rate locked in past Jan 3, you may not get the Special Offer.

October 6, 2017
8:29 am
AlainJF
Members

fbeaulie said

(see above) I got 2.5% until October 2 and still got the Fall savings offer  

My current retention offer at 2.5% ends today (Oct 6th). Yours (Oct 2th) was certainly before any Quarter offer came out.

Everything was moved out since last week. My questions are "Should I call for another 2.5% now ?" or "should I wait and see what happen tomorrow ?". I will get 2.5% for sure... but the end-date slips the more I wait.

Did anyone on this forum received an automatic offer past the 6th of the new Quarter ? Is the automatic broadcasting of Quarter offers already terminated ?

October 6, 2017
8:34 am
DavidAlta13
Members
Forum Posts: 92
198sp_Permalink sp_Print

AlainJF said

My current retention offer at 2.5% ends today (Oct 6th). Yours (Oct 2th) was certainly before any Quarter offer came out.

Everything was moved out since last week. My questions are "Should I call for another 2.5% now ?" or "should I wait and see what happen tomorrow ?". I will get 2.5% for sure... but the end-date slips the more I wait.

Did anyone on this forum received an automatic offer past the 6th of the new Quarter ? Is the automatic broadcasting of Quarter offers already terminated ?  

See my post right above yours.
The notices on Tang accounts are all done, and I think Tang finished sending email offers yesterday as no one has advised otherwise.

October 6, 2017
8:45 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3920

As far as I know no-one in our family has ever received an email offer notification, always via verbal when we call in when our promo periods end or the quarterly offers via seeing it there when we sign in to our accounts. And we've always been on one promo or another for almost a couple years now.

October 6, 2017
9:19 am
fbeaulie
Members

For those who are new to the "Tangerine Lottery" game, here is a summary of the offers I have received (all "automatic" (without contacting them) except one). The first two were slightly different. I'm in Quebec:

2.10%: April 1, 2015 to June 30, 2015 on net new deposits January 1, 2015 to June 30, 2015.
3.00%: July 2, 2015 to November 30, 2015 on net new deposits July 2, 2015 to September 30, 2015.
2.08%: January 6, 2016 to March 31, 2016 - exceeds the sum (…) as at January 5, 2016.
2.64%: April 5, 2016 to June 30, 2016 – exceeds the sum (…) as at April 4, 2016.
3.25%: July 5, 2016 to September 30, 2016 - exceeds the sum (…) as at July 4, 2016.
2.95%: October 5, 2016 to December 31, 2016 - exceeds the sum (…) as at October 04, 2016.
2.59%: January 5, 2017 to March 31, 2017 - exceeds the sum (…) as at January 04, 2017.
3.21%: April 5, 2017 to June 30, 2017 - exceeds the sum (…) as at April 04, 2017.
2.5%: Summer 2017: I did not get an “automatic offer” but got 2.5% - July 5, 2017 to October 2, 2017 after a 2-minute chat session.
2.75%: October 4, 2017 to December 31, 2017 - exceeds the sum (…) as at October 03, 2017.

Please write your comments in the forum.