Tangerine Retention Rates Q4 (Oct 4) 2017 | Page 16 | Tangerine Bank | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Tangerine Retention Rates Q4 (Oct 4) 2017
December 22, 2017
12:09 am
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9241
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
301sp_Permalink sp_Print

(Since it isn't yet Jan 6 or even Jan 1, I will continue.)

No phone calls received at this house yet, so no need to accept or decline.

However, I would accept, if offered.
2.5 for the next six months is acceptable to me. I appreciate not having to haggle. or move money around for that long. Six months from now, according to many pundits, there is a good chance that BoC will have raised rates again, so there is a chance of doing better for the second half of the year.
It's a savings account. I can move the money if something more attractive appears.

l heard on the news today that inflation just hit 2%.

December 22, 2017
8:53 am
Slybanking
Members
Forum Posts: 108
302sp_Permalink sp_Print

No phone offer for me either. Please let us know if you get a call from Santa Tangerine.

December 22, 2017
8:58 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3919
303sp_Permalink sp_Print

As Tangerine is calling people before the current promo is up those who are keen could try calling them and asking for the 6-month deal. I'm going to play the quarter-end game again as I can load up Simplii for 2 more months if Tangerine doesn't pan out.

December 22, 2017
4:15 pm
dentgal
Members
Forum Posts: 206
304sp_Permalink sp_Print

SavingisGood: I hope that your comment: I guess you would bend if I drop a nickel..." doesn't mean what I think it does.

p.s. the chocolate was delicious.

December 23, 2017
6:30 am
SavingIsGood
Banned
Forum Posts: 215

dentgal said
SavingisGood: I hope that your comment: I guess you would bend if I drop a nickel..." doesn't mean what I think it does.

p.s. the chocolate was delicious.  

No, it does not. I understand everybody loves freebies (including myself) but there is a limit. I would never fall for cheap treats.
You did not say was it junk chocolate or healthy one? Remember: junk is designed to taste good so you get easily addicted - that is why we have so many morbidly obese in our society...

December 23, 2017
6:32 am
SavingIsGood
Banned
Forum Posts: 215
306sp_Permalink sp_Print

Slybanking said
No phone offer for me either. Please let us know if you get a call from Santa Tangerine.  

You do not have to wait for 'a call'. Get into chat with them and you will get 2.5%. Question is: will they still offer 2.5 when I call them on 28th?

December 23, 2017
7:35 am
RicksBank
Alberta
Members
Forum Posts: 166
307sp_Permalink sp_Print

Question is: will they still offer 2.5 when I call them in January if I don't get a quarterly promo offer?

December 23, 2017
10:35 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2871
308sp_Permalink sp_Print

If all of us who got called decline the 2.5% offer, it will increase the odds that they will have to offer a higher rate in Jan for 3 months, or continue to offer 2.5% for 6 months. Given Simplii 3% is good until end of Feb, dont see Tangerine will just pull offers completely unless they dont need the money (if we see dramatic mortgage slowdown may be...)

December 23, 2017
4:40 pm
Rick
Members
Forum Posts: 1110

savemoresaveoften said
dont see Tangerine will just pull offers completely unless they dont need the money (if we see dramatic mortgage slowdown may be...)  

like to see them try and quit the promos. That's the only reason they have ANY of my money. Try paying 1% while there are so many options out there paying double or triple. Be like someone stuck an industrial strength vacuum on their deposit base and sucked the cash out in a heartbeat, couple of singles left floating around in the draft. If they didn't need money before, they would shortly after pulling that move.

December 23, 2017
5:20 pm
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members
Forum Posts: 4230

I haven't followed this thread since around page 3 but seeing as we're now near the end of Q4 2017, can we not put this "thread to bed" please, Peter? Surely what's been discussed has been discussed, re-discussed, discussed again, debated, hashed out and then the process repeated several times over. I can't see as there is anything new that would be of value to a new forum user. 🙁

FWIW, Tangerine's mortgage mortgage book is down by more than 75% in the five years since Scotiabank bought it (~@25 bn. to around ~$5 bn., give or take a billion or two). Meanwhile, deposits are down only marginally (basically flat) at slightly less than $30 billion, fluctuating between $25 and $30 billion. They're awash in deposits, most of which don't get the promo rates every quarter, I suspect, because don't bother moving them back and forth. They don't need the capital for themselves and Scotiabank isn't really doing anything truly innovative from a products and services perspective with it (technology wise, yes; products, no), such as basically killing off their recently launched Tangerine MasterCard product by reducing "other purchases" to rock bottom 0.5%. Tangerine is effectively a capital buffer for Scotiabank and a modest boost to their annual earnings, though the profit growth rate has slowed to stagnated, which likely explains the aforementioned credit card rewards rate cut, virtually ending of the TV commercials and major expense cutbacks. Still, it's holding its own by contributing roughly $500-600 million in net income to Scotiabank's yearly bottom line of, what, $6-8 billion? 😉

Cheers,
Doug

December 23, 2017
6:25 pm
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3919
311sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have been reading this thread and have found new, useful information as recently as posts 295 and 306.

December 24, 2017
8:24 am
Slybanking
Members
Forum Posts: 108

SavingIsGood said

You do not have to wait for 'a call'. Get into chat with them and you will get 2.5%. Question is: will they still offer 2.5 when I call them on 28th?  

It is just for information, I don't want to get the 2.5. I am definitely waiting for the new promo. Just wanted to know how aggressive Tangerine is about securing deposits before the new year.

Also Merry Christmas and a happy New year to all.

January 1, 2018
6:16 pm
Interest
Members
Forum Posts: 11
313sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hello, Happy Year!

Was just wondering if anyone has ever had an overlapping Tangerine Offer before - I noticed the 2.5% Limited offer they gave me expires Jan. 23, 2018 but was thinking about moving funds into chequing tonight to see if a different 1st quarter offer pops up.

(The 2.5% offer until Jan. 23 automatically applied to my savings account - it didn't have to be new money)

Thanks

January 1, 2018
8:00 pm
NorthernRaven
Moderators
Forum Posts: 606
314sp_Permalink sp_Print

There's a new thread started for Tangerine 2018 retention/promo offers:

https://www.highinterestsavings.ca/forum/tangerine-bank/tangerine-retention-rateswinter-promo-q1jan-2018/

January 1, 2018
8:14 pm
bpwest
Members
Forum Posts: 83

Interest said
Hello, Happy Year!

Was just wondering if anyone has ever had an overlapping Tangerine Offer before - I noticed the 2.5% Limited offer they gave me expires Jan. 23, 2018 but was thinking about moving funds into chequing tonight to see if a different 1st quarter offer pops up.

(The 2.5% offer until Jan. 23 automatically applied to my savings account - it didn't have to be new money)

Thanks  

I'll jump in here: I think the short answer is 'no', regarding the possibility of overlapping offers . I can't remember reading of anyone receiving a targeted quarterly bonus offer while in the midst of another offer, be it the 6-month welcome to Tangerine offer, or some sort of a 'retention' offer.

Subsequent to my becoming acquainted with Tangerine (two+ years now), and how they offer spring, summer, fall, and hopefully winter (Jan 2018) special rate targeted bonus offers, I opened up a HISA with Alterna, with an eye to parking money there while waiting/hoping for a Tang and/or PCFin/Simplii offer to consider.

Happy New Year (prosperity, good health, etc sf-smile) to one and all!!

Please write your comments in the forum.