Tangerine Retention Rates Q4 (Oct 4) 2017 | Page 7 | Tangerine Bank | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Tangerine Retention Rates Q4 (Oct 4) 2017
October 4, 2017
3:13 pm
Joebart
Members
Forum Posts: 65
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

rhvic said

Joebart, if I saw $225 laying on the sidewalk, I would bend over and pick it up. Heck, I even pick up nickels and dimes! My money goes to the highest rate (up to the deposit insurance level for that FI)  

No need to bend over I have already picked it up. 🙂

October 4, 2017
3:18 pm
Percentage
Members
Forum Posts: 7
122sp_Permalink sp_Print

Received 2.75%, previously at 3.24%. Not happy considering the two recent rate increases. Oh well. From Ontario.

%=$

October 4, 2017
3:36 pm
RicksBank
Alberta
Members
Forum Posts: 166
123sp_Permalink sp_Print

My wife and daughter both got the same 2.75% offer. Neither has had any activity in their accounts in the last quarter. Their balances are $5000 and $10.

October 4, 2017
4:09 pm
DavidAlta13
Members
Forum Posts: 92
124sp_Permalink sp_Print

My email arrived 5:01 Eastern (3:01 Mountain)

October 4, 2017
4:10 pm
smayer97
Members
Forum Posts: 778
125sp_Permalink sp_Print

Seems too bad for me as this is the first time I have NOT received ANY offer. Always received them in the past, and usually the highest rates offered (in Ontario). So sad.

Good thing I removed my $, though they did offer a retention rate of 2.5% when I had to call in. Oh well...not a big loss.

October 4, 2017
4:53 pm
semi-retired
Members
Forum Posts: 232
126sp_Permalink sp_Print

2.75% down from 3.22% Ont. resident.Will transfer back from checking tomorrow.

October 4, 2017
5:34 pm
Nav66
Members
Forum Posts: 36
127sp_Permalink sp_Print

I emptied my Tang savings account ~450K (transferred to EQ from EQ end) on Oct 2. I was receiving the promotional rate of 3.22% at Tang up to Sep 30. At 1 PM today, I received this e-mail offer from Tang for 2.75% Oct 4 to Dec 31.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Full Offer Terms and Conditions - General
The Tangerine Bank (the “Bank”) Savings Interest Offer of 2.75% (the “Offer”) is available to existing Tangerine Clients who: (1) receive the Offer by email directly from the Bank; and/or (2) receive a notification that they are eligible to participate in the Offer when they log in on the Bank’s website (“Eligible Clients”).
The Offer is only available to Eligible Clients between October 4, 2017 and December 31, 2017(the “Offer Period”).
The Offer is only applicable to Tangerine Savings Accounts (“Savings”), Tangerine Tax-Free Savings Accounts (“TFSA Savings”) and Tangerine RSP Savings Accounts (“RSP Savings”) (herein referred to collectively as “Applicable Accounts”) where the Eligible Client is the Primary Account Holder as described in Section 17 below. A number of similar Applicable Accounts (for example, 3 separate TFSA Savings) is defined as an “Applicable Account Type”. The Offer is not applicable to any other Accounts, including (but not limited to) Tangerine RIF Savings Accounts (“RIF Savings”), Tangerine US$ Savings Accounts, Tangerine Business Savings Accounts, Tangerine US$ Business Savings Accounts, Tangerine TFSA Kick Start or Tangerine Children’s Savings Accounts (“CSA”).
“Additional Interest” is 1.75%. During the Offer Period, the Bank will calculate Additional Interest for new deposits to Applicable Accounts each time the sum of the daily balances in each Applicable Account exceeds the corresponding Applicable Account Type balance as at October 3, 2017 to a maximum of $500,000 per Applicable Account Type (“Eligible Deposits”). Additional Interest will only apply to net new Eligible Deposits that raise the Applicable Account Type balance above the October 3, 2017 balances and the balances in an Applicable Account Type that are equal to or less than the Applicable Account Type balances as at October 3, 2017 will not earn Additional Interest.
All balances in Applicable Accounts that are not eligible for Additional Interest will be paid the Bank’s applicable posted rate of interest listed on the Bank’s website (the “Posted Rate”).

October 4, 2017
6:48 pm
moneyman
Members
Forum Posts: 31
128sp_Permalink sp_Print

2.75% offer. I had a 2% offer in the summer and declined. out of the last two years I've only got two emails. Most required me to log on or call based on what I saw on this site. Once I asked tangerine who decides who gets the emails and they said it's all the marketing department. Really customer service and retention and markineting are mutually exclusive. I think not.

October 4, 2017
7:13 pm
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3911
129sp_Permalink sp_Print

FMC, no, my comment had nothing to do with your post - I was just looking at all the offers and reactions and it came to mind as a general comment.

October 4, 2017
7:28 pm
moneyhelp
Members
Forum Posts: 273

Received 2% from my summer 2.97%. Kinda sucky that it went down, but still better than Achieva or Hubert's 1.85%, so looks like I'll be sending my money back to Tangerine, to enjoy the incredible 2% sf-cry

Question. Does anyone think if I called in the rate might be better?

October 4, 2017
7:38 pm
Rick
Members
Forum Posts: 1110
131sp_Permalink sp_Print

moneyhelp said
Received 2% from my summer 2.97%. Kinda sucky that it went down, but still better than Achieva or Hubert's 1.85%, so looks like I'll be sending my money back to Tangerine, to enjoy the incredible 2% sf-cry

I think it probably couldn't be worse. Never hurts to ask.

October 4, 2017
7:53 pm
fbeaulie
Members
Forum Posts: 82
132sp_Permalink sp_Print

moneyhelp said

Last July, for the first time, I did not receive an offer but it took me less than 2 minutes to get 2.5% (I contacted them using their chat). However, I have never tried to get better than the promotion offered. Let us know how it goes.

October 4, 2017
8:58 pm
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6750
133sp_Permalink sp_Print

Loonie said

The Big Banks do offer pre-authorized debit, but only for paying bills.

They will have to do it eventually, I expect, because they are becoming increasingly peripheral to the needs of increasing numbers of Canadians. Or maybe they will get out of the savings/chequing/debit business altogether. Most likely they will keep taking over the smaller banks and dilute their value to us.

Those utility or property tax bill pre-authorized debits are actually pulls originating from the biller's bank. We provide the utility company or the municipality with the transit, institution, and account number of our bank account for them to set the PAD up.

For some reason, they created a new method, Interac e-Transfers, for personal use instead of just letting us initiate direct deposits and PAD's as the online banks do.

October 4, 2017
9:10 pm
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6750
134sp_Permalink sp_Print

I received a 2¾% offer as well:

Special offer: Earn 2.75% interest until December 31, 2017 on up to $500,000 in new deposits to your Tangerine Savings Account(s), RSP Savings Account(s) and Tax-Free Savings Account(s) made between October 4, 2017 and December 31, 2017.

October 4, 2017
9:34 pm
Righand
Members
Forum Posts: 103
135sp_Permalink sp_Print

moneyhelp said

Isn't that a waste of time ? The difference between the the two offers would only be about $ 37 per $100,000 for the entire 90 day promo period.sf-confused

October 4, 2017
10:28 pm
moneyhelp
Members
Forum Posts: 273

Righand said

Isn't that a waste of time ? The difference between the the two offers would only be about $ 37 per $100,000 for the entire 90 day promo period.sf-confused  

OK, I may have exaggerated the "crying" emoticon there, but if contacting Tangerine over chat which takes about the same time it takes most people to pee, you don't think its worth the $37? If not, then let me know, I'll send you my email so you can EFT me the $37 and I won't contact Tangerine...ok maybe I'd contact them anyway, but that's besides the point sf-wink

October 5, 2017
12:37 am
GoldenLion
Members
Forum Posts: 14
137sp_Permalink sp_Print

In the summer I moved my money out of Tangerine and into Eq Bank for 2.3% and Tangerine sent me an email offering 2.3%.This time I moved money out of Tangerine into Duca for 2.75% and now Tangerine sends an email offering 2.75%.

October 5, 2017
6:43 am
SlowPoke
Members
Forum Posts: 51
138sp_Permalink sp_Print

Had moved our funds to Tang Chequing account at the end of the Month.

No email but signing in today we both received the somewhat underwhelming 2.75% offer down from 3.24% the last quarter.

October 5, 2017
6:49 am
RicksBank
Alberta
Members
Forum Posts: 166
139sp_Permalink sp_Print

The email offer arrived at 7am this morning. I'm in AB.

October 5, 2017
7:13 am
fbeaulie
Members
Forum Posts: 82
140sp_Permalink sp_Print

Righand said

After taxes, it is still enough for a decent bottle of wine! sf-cool If it takes 2 minutes to do the transfer, it is equivalent to being paid $1,110 per hour!

Please write your comments in the forum.