Targeted Simplii HISA offer of 5% Dec 1, 2022 to Apr 30, 2023 | Page 4 | Simplii Financial | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Targeted Simplii HISA offer of 5% Dec 1, 2022 to Apr 30, 2023
January 12, 2023
8:25 am
HermanH
Members
Forum Posts: 1164
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

KamWest said
They ripped me of once too, left 300k in an account for the full term, instead got 0.10%

This is why I made certain to close the account after my promo period ended. I thought it was just too great a risk. A CSR insisted that I was eligible for another promo and I almost re-opened a new account. Only the good folks on this forum saved me from a similar loss by showing me how I would have been ineligible, according to the written Terms and Conditions; regardless of what some CSR said.

January 14, 2023
12:47 pm
Jim Sherat
Members
Forum Posts: 154

Well I took the plunge ... even though I'm not a fan of the way Simplii does Promos. Fingers crossed, that come mid-May, an appropriate amount of interest will appear in my pre-existing HISA. 😉

January 21, 2023
5:27 pm
Maribel
Members
Forum Posts: 1

I used the chat today on Simplii and was told to call their number. Then when I called I was told no, I wasn't targeted for the promo rate and that it's random. I was also told there was no way for them to manually override.

Just as an aside I have had good luck with the local DUCA credit union, no game playing and they are eager for new deposits and want to make it work. The difference between a local branch with real people and an online bank with virtual contact

February 3, 2023
12:08 pm
COIN
Members
Forum Posts: 1109

Got an email yesterday (maybe you too) and found it a little confusing. Are they trying to attract more RRSP money by offering 5%? Does the RRSP 5% also apply to non-RRSP accounts as well? (I called Simplii and was informed this has no effect on my current 5% promo non-registered funds,)

"The sooner you open and fund an RRSP, the more you’ll save. Make a deposit now and you’ll earn 5% interest on all eligible deposits (up to $500,000*) made between D‍e‍c 1, 2‍0‍2‍2 and A‍p‍r 3‍0, 2‍0‍2‍3."

April 15, 2023
5:00 am
Jim Sherat
Members

I was surprised to get not 1, but 2 recent "Notice of Offer Expiry" emails from Simplii warning me that my special promo rate will end April 30th. Included in the emails was the new rate: 0.40%. Wowzer !

Anyone else get this? I don't recall seeing such a notice during prior Simplii short term promos that I've participated in.

So 2 weeks to figure out where to move the funds? Any suggestions ?
Was thinking about setting up non-registered TD Waterhouse accounts for my wife and I [only have TFSA, RSP/RIF presently], then maybe park it in an ISA account for now? 4% approx. last time I looked. Thoughts ?

April 15, 2023
6:26 am
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6767

The notices are part of the new federal consumer protection framework. Details in previous post.

April 15, 2023
6:41 am
mustang
Members
Forum Posts: 215
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

No, haven't recieved that "Notice of Offer Expiry" from Siimplii. Although have been receiving them lately from other fi's-- I thought maybe this was co-incident with the "Low Account Balance" notices that I get all the time now
We are actually on the Tangerine offer until May 31, so don't have to make a move until then.
At that point, it looks like the TD150 is the best option-- unless Simplii invites for a new offer. Which seems unikely

April 15, 2023
9:48 am
COIN
Members

mustang said
At that point, it looks like the TD150 is the best option--  

What is the TD150?

April 15, 2023
10:36 pm
RM485
Members
Forum Posts: 8

I applied for the 5.25% promo savings rate way back in mid-Feb, and after following up by phone a few wks later when I'd not heard boo back from them, and then basically jumping thru hoops answering questions about my employment history and credit cards (really...? to get a savings account?), I've still not gotten any client card they said would be sent out shortly.

After reading some of the other posts here, all I can say is that they certainly know how to jerk people around, just like their parent company.

April 16, 2023
5:31 am
Jim Sherat
Members

mustang said
At that point, it looks like the TD150 is the best option--

COIN said

What is the TD150?  

Perhaps Mustang means 'TDB8150' ? Currently paying 4.05%. Not the best, but for short term probably an ok option.

April 16, 2023
6:07 am
dentgal
Members
Forum Posts: 206

1. What is a TD 150 getting 4.05%
2. I haven't had much at Simplii in years--they woudn't give me a targetted rate. I've found Tangerine better, but I'm not getting as much as others are.

April 16, 2023
6:50 am
mustang
Members
Forum Posts: 215

Update: We DID receive the Notice of Offer Expiry -- just this morning
(They must have a random date for sending these out-- as they seem to for sending the offer in the first place!)

And yes- thanks Jim-- I did mean TDB8150
As you note, currently paying 4.05%
(This is the TD ISA account)
Currently, would be next best place
Problem being, of course, that rate could change tomorrow

April 16, 2023
12:44 pm
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3922

If you're already with TD and you need more for CDIC coverage TDB8155 & 8159 pay the same. I've had no success buying TDB8157 via TD Dir Inv account, it also pays the same.

April 21, 2023
3:02 pm
Wrayzor
GTA
Members
Forum Posts: 76

Today I received 8 (eight!) notifications of expiry for a dormant TFSA account at Simplii.

Thanks, but do you even notice balances?

Already received two notifications on 4/13 for non-reg HISA.

May 2, 2023
6:49 pm
mordko
Members
Forum Posts: 824

Another offer from Simplii. Identical terms. New money. 5%. Till Aug 31st.

May 2, 2023
7:30 pm
COIN
Members

mordko said
Another offer from Simplii. Identical terms. New money. 5%. Till Aug 31st.  

What about the "old" money already in the account?

May 2, 2023
7:54 pm
mordko
Members
Forum Posts: 824

COIN said

What about the "old" money already in the account?  

Anything in the account on April 30th gets the grand rate of 0.4%.

May 2, 2023
9:16 pm
GreatWhiteNorth
Members
Forum Posts: 40

So I transferred all $ out to checking Sunday April 30, transactions dated Apr 30.
Get next offer today but discover they posted my transfers as May 1.
WTF?
This is why $ seems to spend most of its time elsewhere.

May 2, 2023
9:38 pm
HermanH
Members
Forum Posts: 1164

Did you transfer after 2400h Eastern Time Zone?

I got caught by CIBC, once. I made a deposit at 2300h local time, but it was already 0100h ET. So, my deposit was listed as next day and I was thus overdrawn.

May 3, 2023
3:59 am
cgouimet
Members
Forum Posts: 1474

GreatWhiteNorth said
So I transferred all $ out to checking Sunday April 30, transactions dated Apr 30.
Get next offer today but discover they posted my transfers as May 1.
WTF?
This is why $ seems to spend most of its time elsewhere.  

Your new offer on new $ only?

CGO
No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.