Targeted Simplii HISA offer of 4.75% (was 3.00% and 3.85%) ending October 31st 2022 | Page 8 | Simplii Financial | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Targeted Simplii HISA offer of 4.75% (was 3.00% and 3.85%) ending October 31st 2022
October 10, 2022
8:59 am
COIN
Members
Forum Posts: 1109
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
141sp_Permalink sp_Print

Got this email from Simplii this morning.

"We’re reaching out to let you know that the promotional interest rate offer on your Simplii Financial High Interest Savings Account(s) will end on Octo‍ber 3‍1, 20‍22. After this offer ends, the interest rate for these account(s) will be the regular posted rate. As of the date of this letter, the regular posted rate is 0.40% per annum1. For a list of current rates, please visit simplii‍.‍com‍/‍en‍/‍rates‍.‍html.

Your rights and obligations in relation to these account(s), including fees, are described in the Simplii Financial Products and Services Agreement that was provided when your account was opened. You can also obtain a copy of this document at simplii.com.

Your ongoing satisfaction is important to us. If you feel this account no longer fits your needs, reach out to us to discuss account options or to close your account at any time.

Thank you for choosing Simplii Financial to meet your banking needs. We appreciate your business and we’re always happy to help."

October 19, 2022
10:55 am
COIN
Members
Forum Posts: 1109

Bill said
I've had a lot of money with them for this promo and am starting to draw it out in a week or so, wonder if CIBC has a plan for the inevitable massive outflow by lots of us.  

Question for those who are thinking of or have already withdrawn their funds before the expiry of the current promotion.

Let's say you withdraw all your funds on October 19th, will you still get credit interest for October 1st to 18th?

October 19, 2022
11:18 am
Patch002
Members
Forum Posts: 79

COIN said

Question for those who are thinking of or have already withdrawn their funds before the expiry of the current promotion.

Let's say you withdraw all your funds on October 19th, will you still get credit interest for October 1st to 18th?  

https://www.simplii.com/en/bank-accounts/high-interest-savings.html

Interest is calculated by multiplying the daily interest rate (based on the applicable annual rate) by the daily closing balance of your account and is paid into your account monthly.

Rates are subject to change without notice.

On the T&C for Promotional interest:

Promotional Interest is calculated on the portion of the applicable account’s
average daily closing balance during the Offer Period that exceeds the closing balance as at June 30, 2022 (the “Additional Balance”);

So, the key term is "average daily closing balance:.

October 19, 2022
11:46 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3922
144sp_Permalink sp_Print

Simplii's calculation method ends up with the short answer being "yes", COIN.

October 19, 2022
12:30 pm
AR
Members
Forum Posts: 64
145sp_Permalink sp_Print

I received "Notice of offer expiry", today, paper mail from Simplii. It is very odd,"If you feel this account no longer fits your needs, reach out to us to discuss account options or to close your account at any time." I tell you, I am baffled.

October 20, 2022
6:25 pm
randy
Members
Forum Posts: 9
146sp_Permalink sp_Print

Same snail mail rec'd AR and couldn't agree more,, have been a long-term customer. -randy

October 21, 2022
2:07 pm
RateChaser
Members
Forum Posts: 4
147sp_Permalink sp_Print

AR said
I received "Notice of offer expiry", today, paper mail from Simplii. It is very odd,"If you feel this account no longer fits your needs, reach out to us to discuss account options or to close your account at any time." I tell you, I am baffled.  

Got the same letter through Canada Post.
It really looks like Simplii is saying that competing on rates is not in their plans.
I am still pulling everything out before Hallowe'en in case there are more offers.

October 21, 2022
8:20 pm
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6766

It is more likely Simplii is compelled by the advance notice part of the federal Financial Consumer Protection Framework:

Advance notice for the renewal of products and services

Your bank must send you timely reminders when some of your products and services are set to renew. This also applies to any automatic rollover or promotional offer that will expire. These reminders will help you decide if you want to renew or cancel your products or services. They will include information on any rates or fees that apply.

For products or services with terms of 30 days or more, you’ll receive 2 reminders:

• 21 days before the end of your term
  • 5 days before the end of your term

If your term is less than 30 days, you’ll receive one reminder 5 days before the end of your term.

October 23, 2022
7:48 am
Winnie
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 463
149sp_Permalink sp_Print

Simplii better to be compelled by common sense and simply allow their customers to see current and promotional interest rates on Simplii Financial High Interest Savings Accounts.

It's so simple, Simplii!

October 31, 2022
8:06 am
GreatWhiteNorth
Members
Forum Posts: 40
150sp_Permalink sp_Print

Looks like I can move funds to Checking account today and have funds not count against me for any future offers, assuming terms same as current offer (where existing money only counted for savings accounts).
Tangerine does it this way. Few years back Simplii did not (they included checking account in pre existing balance.
Comments?

October 31, 2022
8:20 am
JohnnyCash
Members
Forum Posts: 230
151sp_Permalink sp_Print

GreatWhiteNorth said
Looks like I can move funds to Checking account today and have funds not count against me for any future offers, assuming terms same as current offer (where existing money only counted for savings accounts).
Tangerine does it this way. Few years back Simplii did not (they included checking account in pre existing balance.
Comments?  

Yes, you are correct. I personally wouldn't want to assume the T&Cs would be exactly the same if they were to run another promotion in November, as much as I think that will be the case.

October 31, 2022
9:31 am
mustang
Members
Forum Posts: 215
152sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just finished pulling out everything from all Simplii accounts
Now wait (not quite) patiently for the bonus interest in a couple weeks
Curious to see what comes next from Simplii for promo-- must be a lot of savings leaving there today

October 31, 2022
10:58 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3922
153sp_Permalink sp_Print

Probably a surprising amount will stay there, at least for a while. They'll probably wait with another promo until they need funds. In the past they've gone years without promos.

October 31, 2022
11:59 am
mustang
Members
154sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm surprised that folks would leave much in at 0.4%, given lots of better options right now. I suppose maybe just to be convenient to leave a modest amount in?
Which very likely would work against one, if a new promo does come out
But, you may well be right, maybe they are out of the promo racket for a while
They were pushing them out pretty regularly until the last few months, when they seem to have stopped

November 4, 2022
12:46 pm
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6766
155sp_Permalink sp_Print

I was shown this popup when I logged in earlier:

It’s almost pay day!

Remember when you signed up for our special savings offer ending October 31?

Any eligible promotional interest earned will be paid to your High Interest Savings Account by November 17

November 4, 2022
2:30 pm
mustang
Members
156sp_Permalink sp_Print

Woo hoo!
I see that message as well-- thanks for posting
Reassuring!

November 4, 2022
3:33 pm
rhvic
Victoria, BC
Members
Forum Posts: 468

Not paying interest until November 17 means that Simplii gets away with not paying interest on the interest for half a month! Cumulatively over all accounts that might be quite a bit.

Maybe they could invest in a computer or two and calculate and post the interest within a day or two of month end, like other FIs do.

November 10, 2022
9:08 pm
InterestThis
Members
Forum Posts: 271
158sp_Permalink sp_Print

Who's going to be carefully computing the bonus interest from Simplii coming due, to make sure Simplii does not simply underpay?

November 17, 2022
6:28 am
Tom90
Members
Forum Posts: 1
159sp_Permalink sp_Print

It's November 17, has anyone got the bonus interest? I still have not got mine sf-frown

November 17, 2022
7:30 am
InterestThis
Members
Forum Posts: 271
160sp_Permalink sp_Print

Nope Simplii is always behind with everything, must be since its just shell for CIBC with a poor interface.

Please write your comments in the forum.