Simplii Financial Extends its 3.15% Promo (November 1, 2018 - June 30, 2019) | Page 3 | Simplii Financial | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Simplii Financial Extends its 3.15% Promo (November 1, 2018 - June 30, 2019)
February 27, 2019
12:11 pm
Winnie
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 463
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

My Simplii HISA balance was (1) In the upper 5 figures or higher (lower 6 figures).
I did not received this promotion extension (no email and nothing during log in).
So, yesterday I created a few "Upcoming Transfers" for Feb 28, 2019 to move out all my money and today I received this extension with 1 million limit: Simplii_March_2019_HISA_Retention_Offer_Long_Final_Clean.pdf

February 27, 2019
12:25 pm
cgouimet
Members
Forum Posts: 1474

I wonder if the offer goes out to accounts with declining balances suggesting movements to better rates elsewhere.

CGO
February 27, 2019
12:56 pm
fabafter50
Members
Forum Posts: 177

I am curious to see what happens, I just moved everything out as well. When I spoke to them yesterday it was suggested that these "offers" are kind of a loss leader to bring in new money. It will be interesting to see what everyone experiences with this. I would be wary of the balance as of Feb.28th, though. I got a different story every time I called them inquiring about being accepted for the offer, so I wouldn't trust anything that wasn't in writing.

February 27, 2019
2:02 pm
rhvic
Victoria, BC
Members
Forum Posts: 467

I had just under $100K and did not get the extension offer. Nor were they willing to budge when I told them I would pull the bulk of finds out to another FI.

February 27, 2019
4:35 pm
Patch002
Members
Forum Posts: 79

I did not get an extension offer. I did not contact them to negotiate (although I have in the past, sometimes it works). I just moved the money out to a competitor paying 3.15%. I am done with begging. I kept the account open though for the day when they might make another offer (i.e. don't burn bridges, it's not personal it's only business). If they don't want to offer me 3.15, they don't have to, just like I can move money to where ever I want. My question to Simplii (and any other FI) is "Tell me why I should bank with you?".

March 1, 2019
9:09 am
tgaucher
Members
Forum Posts: 18

I phoned Simplii last week and asked if I was eligible for the extension, they told me I was, read the terms and told me I would receive email confirmation. When I hadnt received my email by yesterday I phoned in and asked them for my email confirmation I was told by a supervisor even though she could see by the notes on file I was told I was eligible for the promotion I actually was not and they were not going to honour what I was told. This is BS. I am transferring every single penny I have in there out tonight.

March 1, 2019
12:28 pm
fabafter50
Members
Forum Posts: 177

tgaucher said
I phoned Simplii last week and asked if I was eligible for the extension, they told me I was, read the terms and told me I would receive email confirmation. When I hadnt received my email by yesterday I phoned in and asked them for my email confirmation I was told by a supervisor even though she could see by the notes on file I was told I was eligible for the promotion I actually was not and they were not going to honour what I was told. This is BS. I am transferring every single penny I have in there out tonight.  

Exactly what happened to me. ALL funds are out and have gone elsewhere

March 1, 2019
12:48 pm
gamgam
Members
Forum Posts: 109

Exactly the same for me. Even printed the transcript from my online chat February 22/19 where it was confirmed! Called today and nothing but apologies. All funds have gone out.

March 1, 2019
3:12 pm
Winnie
Ontario
Members

The same for me.
I did received this extension on Feb 27, 2019.
Today decided to call and confirm that, after reading a few posts here above.
Big surprise - not enrolled and not eligible for the promotion!
Will transfer all my money out and no more Simplii games in future.

March 1, 2019
4:08 pm
Inxses
Members
Forum Posts: 14

Pulled most of my funds this morning, tired of the games as well.

March 1, 2019
6:31 pm
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3921

Have had Simplii accounts for many years, they sit empty most of the time. Only when I get an email from them confirming a promo does some money go there, then I just transfer it out when the promo's over, wait for a year or more until I get another promo offer confirmed by email from them and back goes some dough for a while. This time I left some money there in one-year 2.96% GICs so I guess they tricked me this time (also got a chequing account and a credit card), and no offer so far so my remaining money left about 5 days ago. Their history for me indicates not a good place to leave your money with if you expect regular high rates plus definitely no sense asking to get a promo rate if it's not one generally available to everybody or else they reached out to you with a confirming email.

March 2, 2019
5:39 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2875

tgaucher said

same here. Its total BS after they said eligible. Put me on hold, then come back saying cant apply to account and actually not eligible. Wasted 20mins of my time for nothing.

March 2, 2019
9:53 am
bpwest
Members
Forum Posts: 83

Bill said
Have had Simplii accounts for many years, they sit empty most of the time. Only when I get an email from them confirming a promo does some money go there, then I just transfer it out when the promo's over, wait for a year or more until I get another promo offer confirmed by email from them and back goes some dough for a while. This time I left some money there in one-year 2.96% GICs so I guess they tricked me this time (also got a chequing account and a credit card), and no offer so far so my remaining money left about 5 days ago. Their history for me indicates not a good place to leave your money with if you expect regular high rates plus definitely no sense asking to get a promo rate if it's not one generally available to everybody or else they reached out to you with a confirming email.  

I contacted Simplii multiple times, from Nov 2018 until early January requesting an email confirmation of Nov-Feb 3.15% offer; each time agent assured me that my acceptance of offer was received by them, and I didn't really require an email, and they keep all conversations on file, to refer back to, in case of any disagreement. Nevertheless, they would send me an email...never came. Finally talked to a supervisor, who checked with IT guys, etc, and I received an email, but it was 'terms and conditions' of offer, not confirmation of offer, Yikes!! It was at this point I gave up...

I had deposited 6 figures, awaiting confirmation, but which I finally withdrew when no (email) confirmation arrived.

I just don't get this strategy: PC Financial would send out confirmation emails, no problem, and re: this Nov- Feb offer, my wife received the coveted email confirmation, but many, many folks on this site, and others (RFD) reported great difficulties...

And the latest wrinkle being folks reporting verbal extension of offer until June 2019 being rescinded, WOW!! What can Simplii be thinking!!

March 2, 2019
10:48 am
uniQChick
Members
Forum Posts: 34

@Oscar,
Four days later, still no email confirmation! Called and Simplii manager offered to send it by regular mail. Will wait and see…

March 2, 2019
12:02 pm
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3921

bpwest, guess you'll find out mid-month if you were on the promo for the time you had your money there. I had no issue getting the confirming email, came within 5 days or so of me "accepting" their promo offer.

Based on reports here, looks like shiny new rebranding from Simplii to PC is style over substance, maybe not a bad approach given today's Canadians. And maybe they've targeted what their systems identify as the rate chasers for especially shoddy treatment in the hopes of driving them away and focusing on the oblivious folks who bring their money in on a promo and then just leave it there, at least for a while.

March 2, 2019
12:17 pm
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6766

It is also possible Simplii did send the e-mails. But, the recipient's e-mail system thought it was spam and delivered it to the Spam folder instead of the Inbox folder.

I've had that happen to e-mails sent to me about rate offers and pre-approved credit cards.

March 2, 2019
12:32 pm
Winnie
Ontario
Members

Bill said
I had no issue getting the confirming email, came within 5 days or so of me "accepting" their promo offer.  

I also received the confirmation email.
But, apparently, that means nothing at all in my case.
Yesterday I called Simplii and big surprise - not enrolled and not eligible for the promotion!
Almost 1 hour on the phone, multiple "Please hold, my supervisor will investigate ..." and final result "We're sorry, we can't find our confirmation that email was send to your address".
Absolutely no respect, much worse than Tangerine.
At least Tangerine online banking able to show "Promotions" and current interest rate, if you received that promotion.
No more Simplii games for me, all my money out.

March 2, 2019
1:09 pm
cgouimet
Members
Forum Posts: 1474

I have $30k in GIC's and $1.10 in Savings at Simplii. All will be elsewhere when the GIC's mature Feb 21 and Feb 22. They are too much of a pain to deal with ...

I find Tangerine fine to deal with although they have become less competitive interest wise. They have the easiest process of anyone I know of to link external accounts; if they allowed more than 3, they would become my "banking central".

I've been moving a lot of $ to ... Meridian into their 3.25% 18-Mo and 3.45% 3-Yr GIC's.

I'm establishing accounts at Motive for their 2.8% Savings Account and Hubert for their really nice Quarterly Cashable 3.1% 1-Yr GIC.

CGO
March 2, 2019
1:23 pm
uniQChick
Members
Forum Posts: 34

@cgouimet ,
At Motive Savings Account only 2 free transactions and to move money out to another bank would cost you $20. (...or does it only applies to accounts transferred to another financial institution???) sf-confused

March 2, 2019
1:41 pm
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6766

Winnie said

I also received the confirmation email.
But, apparently, that means nothing at all in my case.
Yesterday I called Simplii and big surprise - not enrolled and not eligible for the promotion!
Almost 1 hour on the phone, multiple "Please hold, my supervisor will investigate ..." and final result "We're sorry, we can't find our confirmation that email was send to your address".

Are you certain the confirmation e-mail received was for the offer extension?

The original Simplii CSR may have messed up, believing you would be getting the extension offer. The "send e-mail" button on your file may only be to send the confirmation again for the original offer. sf-frown

Sounds like there's serious internal confusion at Simplii over which customers will be getting an extension of the 3.15% offer.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.