October 2021 Inflation | Page 7 | General financial discussion | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
October 2021 Inflation
December 11, 2021
9:29 pm
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members
Forum Posts: 2897
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
121sp_Permalink sp_Print

It was obvious why March 2021 Food Bank usage was 20% higher than March 2019. We were still in the deep throes of the pandemic 2nd wave and inflation wasn't even a factor then. Data mining to provide spin for the article (just like Vatox's World Bank reference which tells us nothing about where we are at in Dec 2021. Hint: We are no doubt back to 2019 levels based on the definition of Labour Participation).

On a forward basis, I agree inflation will be a factor squeezing the budgets of the marginalized but I wonder what March 2022 Food Bank usage will look like (and March 2023) relative to March 2021. Some of it depending on whether we will have a major Omicron wave. We will obviously re-visit all this a year from now.

December 11, 2021
10:40 pm
Vatox
Members
Forum Posts: 1218
122sp_Permalink sp_Print

AltaRed said
It was obvious why March 2021 Food Bank usage was 20% higher than March 2019. We were still in the deep throes of the pandemic 2nd wave and inflation wasn't even a factor then. Data mining to provide spin for the article (just like Vatox's World Bank reference which tells us nothing about where we are at in Dec 2021. Hint: We are no doubt back to 2019 levels based on the definition of Labour Participation).

On a forward basis, I agree inflation will be a factor squeezing the budgets of the marginalized but I wonder what March 2022 Food Bank usage will look like (and March 2023) relative to March 2021. Some of it depending on whether we will have a major Omicron wave. We will obviously re-visit all this a year from now.  

Labour Force Participation is not what that chart is, and whether the rate today is the same as 2019 is irrelevant to my point anyways. My point is that the Labour Force is decreasing and that means that lower unemployment doesn’t hold as much power as it used to. More of the population is entering a fixed income life. I will totally agree that the added job numbers is awesome and a good thing. I’m simply pointing out that employment participation isn’t going to solve the consumption transition that’s already started.

But I’m tired now. So that’s all I have to say.

December 12, 2021
4:54 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2885
123sp_Permalink sp_Print

HermanH said
Of course, they need to justify their existence. I've contacted my local Food Bank and learnt that they do nothing to show people how to GET OFF needing their services. They just keep handing out food. No attempt at educating users how to save money. Just keep shovelling (predominantly) junk / high-calorie / low nutrition food into hampers. sf-cry  

Give a man a fish, he will survive a day. Teach a man to fish, he will survive a lot longer.
Except our welfare system when it comes to food bank is to strictly give a fish....

December 12, 2021
7:29 am
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6777
124sp_Permalink sp_Print

Loonie said
The reasons they give for increased food bank usage are based in reality and should not come as a surprise. In some cases there may be additional reasons, but when you have high inflation and people whose existence was already marginal, you can reasonably expect an increase in usage. That is not hard to figure out.

There are lots of possible reasons for the sharp increase in food bank usage. Without Food Banks Canada providing any supporting info about why their new clients came to them, I can dismiss any claims they make that it was because of food prices.

I think it is more likely the new food bank clients showed up because of income drop from being laid off.

December 12, 2021
7:52 am
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6777
125sp_Permalink sp_Print

savemoresaveoften said

Give a man a fish, he will survive a day. Teach a man to fish, he will survive a lot longer.
Except our welfare system when it comes to food bank is to strictly give a fish....

Unfortunately, it is not always as easy as showing someone how to fish, cook, or budget.

Some people have issues that can't be fixed by knowledge alone. One woman I dated uses the food bank after she rans out of money during the month. I thought it was just once in a while. It turned out to be chronic.

The root cause was she was ordering delivery for at least one meal each day. I suspect she was spending over $400/month for delivered lunches and dinners from restaurants!

I mentioned that $400 of groceries would be quite a lot of food for one person. Other friends mentioned partly prepared frozen foods in case one doesn't want to cook from scratch.

But, all that advice seem to just go in one ear and out the other. sf-frown

I donate to the food banks. I encourage others to do so too. But, I recognize it is not a long term fix for a variety of challenges people have.

December 12, 2021
8:18 am
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9255

You can dismiss it if you want, and I can dismiss your speculation about the reasons too. Inflation is a big factor for people who have little income, period.
However, you slice it, when income doesn't equal cost of living, that's the reason. There are lots of shit jobs out there that don't provide enough hours or enough money for basic living costs, let alone the savings that AltaRed fantasizes about everyone having.

Those of you who think food banks should be "educating" people don't recognize the reason food banks came into existence or their budget limitations. They were created to provide emergency relief to people whose cupboards are bare. Their budgets are directed towards this. If they take on other projects, then someone isn't going to eat this week. That said, where is the evidence that education is what is needed? The only thing I know of that helps stretch the food dollars is community kitchens, but those projects have likely been suspended during covid.

There are plenty of other people you can complain to and about if you think education is the primary problem, but be prepared to hear that it isn't.

It's unfortunate that the provision of emergency food has become almost institutionalized. It was not intended this way. But that has happened because the need has remained acute.

December 12, 2021
9:25 am
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members

Loonie said
You can dismiss it if you want, and I can dismiss your speculation about the reasons too. Inflation is a big factor for people who have little income, period.
However, you slice it, when income doesn't equal cost of living, that's the reason. There are lots of shit jobs out there that don't provide enough hours or enough money for basic living costs, let alone the savings that AltaRed fantasizes about everyone having. 

The thing is there are numerous opportunities today to have a full time job at $15/hr minimum wage if one actually wants to work at it. $15/hr x 35 hrs x 52 weeks is $27.3k per year - essentially the CERB benefit amount. Clearly not enough for one person to support a family of four, but clearly enough for one person to support themselves, or for 2 dual income earners to support a family of four ($54k per year). It is not a grand existence of course but it is doable. That is the basis of the entire discussion of 'universal basic income' or UBI. There simply needs to be a willingness to work 35 hours a week and/or to work some overtime as well. That is what our immigrants do. They are not afraid of work. That all said, there are folk who cannot physically work that much or have mental incapacities that prevent it. Those are the folk society should have the capacity to support.

Our pre-pandemic working poor who came through 2020 with CERB benefits should have been putting some of that money away. $500/week was more than some of them were making employed and especially those seniors who had part time jobs. IOW, the pre-pandemic working poor made out quite well and why poverty levels did go down nationally during the pandemic. That is why the savings rate DID go UP in 2020 and why so many people were able to pay down credit card debt in 2020. Those that pissed it away on online shopping and opening discount brokerage accounts rather than banking it for 2021 and beyond don't have my sympathy. They could now be tapping into it as YOY inflation increases kicked in the past 4-6 months. So yes, that group of people receiving CERB benefits had the opportunity to bank some of it and should have savings.

I do get that folks beyond the working poor (lower middle class?) who were making $40-60k per year pre-pandemic and lost their jobs and had auto and mortgage loan payments to cover could not live off $500/wk and thus the more likely folks to have to hit the Food Banks to cover the gap until jobs returned. Employment has now come back in a significant surge and there is no longer a need for those folk to need to go to Food Banks. It is also not a coincidence the surge in the number of people working in October coincided with the ending of CERB benefits. The math is rather simple to understand.

It is also a good reason for March 2022 statistics to likely show reduced Food Bank usage, and a good reason for Vatox's World Bank graph to show a return to 21 million or so for Canada's Labour Participation for 2021 when it is published presumably Spring 2022. Despite Vatox's denials/assertions to the contrary, I do know how to read a graph.

Ultimately, none of this macro-math is a difficult thing to understand if people would objectively look at the numbers. It is quite highly predictable and logical.

December 12, 2021
9:35 am
Vatox
Members

It is very important for everyone to stop thinking politics. It doesn’t matter why or how people are in the situation they are! It only matters that they are there. Whether we approve or disapprove, desire to change people or societal structure, it’s all political talk. This site is for facts, and the facts are that people live the way they decide and we have the current situations that affects us all. So we are simply left with trying to best serve the democracy.

Please stop talking about changes and just accept the way people live. The conversation is supposed to be about inflation and what is to be done to keep the whole engine functioning. Changing people isn’t an option. Perhaps we could do some serious financial and budgeting teaching in schools, but that doesn’t help today.

December 12, 2021
10:19 am
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members

I don't see where politics is part of this discussion. However, personal views on social ideology became an unnecessary add-on in this thread. The debate should have remained whether current monthly YOY inflation numbers are transitory, structural, or something in between. Only time will tell us, which is where this thread started.

December 12, 2021
11:17 am
HermanH
Members
Forum Posts: 1166

savemoresaveoften said Give a man a fish, he will survive a day. Teach a man to fish, he will survive a lot longer.

Which ensures that there will always be a fish-distribution job. sf-frown

Norman1 said
Some people have issues that can't be fixed by knowledge alone. One woman I dated uses the food bank after she rans out of money during the month. I thought it was just once in a while. It turned out to be chronic.

The root cause was she was ordering delivery for at least one meal each day. I suspect she was spending over $400/month for delivered lunches and dinners from restaurants!

I mentioned that $400 of groceries would be quite a lot of food for one person. Other friends mentioned partly prepared frozen foods in case one doesn't want to cook from scratch.

But, all that advice seem to just go in one ear and out the other. sf-frown

You could give some people $1000 / day and it would not be enough; nothing will ever be enough for some. They will always find some way to expend all available resources by month's end.

I also know a senior living in a retirement home who just uses the Food Bank for vegetables because she cannot be bothered to go to the market. Her family is plenty able to support her, if required. She just uses it for convenience. sf-yell

December 12, 2021
11:37 am
Vatox
Members
131sp_Permalink sp_Print

AltaRed said

People not wanting to work, nor looking for work, are not our concern. Most of them, including retirees, have a number of options to work if they wish too. I can assure you there are thousands of job vacancies here. McDonalds has a big sign out front pleading for workers at a starting wage of $17.50/hr.  

You are the most political here. That was just one of your comments.

You obviously want to make everyone be like you, with plenty of savings, good investing, and working at whatever job is available.

You need to stop posting that kind of talk and deal with what exists.
We have the situation at hand and making people live a certain way isn’t appropriate talk.

December 12, 2021
11:58 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3930
132sp_Permalink sp_Print

In fact it is critically important to understand why people do what they do, why they are in the situation there are, as only then can you begin to address the situation. And much of fiscal, taxation, etc policy is designed precisely to nudge behaviour in the desired direction, it's actually founded on understanding why people do what they do. So future interest rate settings and other measures to fight excessive inflation will be based on understanding the reasons for peoples' situations and then trying to elicit the desired changes in behaviour. In the long-run for policy-makers there's more to it than just "some people need money TODAY, give it to them NOW".

Food banks.........I've said from the first time I heard the term that a business model that is based on giving away free food with little or no vetting will see steady, continuous growth, and so far I've been right.

This inflation, if long-lived, will not be the first time something thought to be short-term ended up being not so. In fact it seems to be the norm to assume a shift from what was is just temporary, a bias that things will go back to "normal" soon. For example, no-one in 1978 predicted that interest rates would continue up until their peak in 1981, everyone assumed things would settle back to "normal" again soon. So it's critical to read all the right data correctly to have a hope, not just react to one or two cherry-picked data points.

December 12, 2021
12:47 pm
christinad
Members
Forum Posts: 315
133sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’m single and i really question whether a single person could live on 27000 a year, particularly in vancouver. If they did it would be really difficult. People don’t understand how expensive it is to pay for your own living costs. That said, inflation is easier to deal with as a single person, you can always go vegetarian to deal with food costs.Personally, i don’t think inflation has affected me a lot. I think its the families who are hurt the most by inflation. Poverty is a complex problem and i think its important we don’t reduce it to just you need to pull yourself up by your bootstraps or just claim people aren’t working hard enough. I have no doubt single people are disproportionally represented in poverty as are probably indigenous people and maybe other ethnic groups.

December 12, 2021
1:16 pm
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members

Very few could live alone on $27k per year and hence why most don't do so. The discussion about $27k is in the context of Canada overall, not just data mining the two most expensive places in Canada (Vancouver and Toronto).

Regardless, government et al have deemed $24k ($2k/month per individual) or $3k/month to be UBI minimums. CERB essentially beat that with $500/wk per individual. StatsCan says more people are working today than there were in Feb 2020 and there are some 1 million or so job vacancies posted. There are many options available today to work for those willing to work. I am not making any of this stuff up.

Merely the facts rather than supposition, including Vatox's retort of post 131. I have a personal ideology of expecting people to make a concerted effort to support oneself where one has the physical and mental ability to do so, but that is hardly political in nature. It is a work ethic.

December 12, 2021
1:47 pm
Vatox
Members

Lol, AltaRed, there it is again. Your ideology and expectations forced on others! That’s political. Just look at what the situations are and use a current mechanism to make it better. The answer is higher interest rates.

December 12, 2021
1:48 pm
Loonie
Members

There is a lot of anger being expressed here by people who are what I would call wealthy, one in particular, towards people who are scraping by. It is being repeated over and over and over again, to the point where I have to call it hysteria. Please stop if you are capable of doing so. We heard it before and it is not advancing the discussion.

To judge by your frenzied repetitious allegations, you propose that there is a staggering number of people who are profligate and then depend on the social safety net. I'm sure there are some, but it's not a sustainable lifestyle. Unless you can provide proof, this theory should be dismissed out of hand. Anecdotes are irrelevant to proof.

Researchers at McMaster say that we don't actually know much about who uses food banks and other related questions.

They have been working on rectifying this and will present some preliminary results TOMORROW AT 1PM in online discussion, which you can sign up to attend so that you can be better informed. Unfortunately, the timing is no good for me.
https://www.economics.mcmaster.ca/news/food-banks-and-canada2019s-social-safety-net

December 12, 2021
2:23 pm
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members

Vatox said
The answer is higher interest rates.  

Ask and you may eventually get them to tame supposed structural inflation. US based but https://apnews.com/article/business-economy-prices-inflation-e5b8ab50495920c7c6c4d8cf98aaebe5

December 12, 2021
2:30 pm
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members

Loonie said
Researchers at McMaster say that we don't actually know much about who uses food banks and other related questions.

They have been workign on rectifying this and will present some preliminary results TOMORROW AT 1PM in online discussion, which you can sign up to attend so that you can be better informed. Unfortunately, the timing is no good for me.
https://www.economics.mcmaster.ca/news/food-banks-and-canada2019s-social-safety-net  

I am surprised researchers are that unknowing. Just volunteering on a fairly infrequent basis says a lot about who comes in the door, never mind those in the business of being there on a day-to-day basis. Food banks are a critical part of our safety net.

Would be curious to hear what they have to say, but timing is not an option for me either.

December 12, 2021
2:32 pm
Loonie
Members

In order to have a decent life in Toronto, not extravagant at all, one must earn at least 22.08 /hr. This may enable you to avoid cockroach and mold-infested dwellings, put enough food on the table, and be mentally healthy without continually putting nose to grindstone. In Vancouver, it costs 20.52 /hr.
Most, if not all, other places are a bit cheaper.
There are many reasons why people live where they do. I won't get into them here.
The Charter of Rights and Freedoms provides that Canadians can live wherever they choose and shall not be discriminated against on the basis of where they work or live.
We are also not required to invest in the stock market if we don't think it's the best strategy for us.

December 12, 2021
3:02 pm
Vatox
Members

AltaRed said

Ask and you may eventually get them to tame supposed structural inflation. US based but https://apnews.com/article/business-economy-prices-inflation-e5b8ab50495920c7c6c4d8cf98aaebe5  

I love the words: eventually, maybe, coming!

How about: now, yesterday, already.

EDIT: high inflation started in Spring.

Please write your comments in the forum.