October 2021 Inflation | Page 10 | General financial discussion | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
October 2021 Inflation
December 14, 2021
6:31 pm
Vatox
Members
Forum Posts: 1218
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
181sp_Permalink sp_Print

Bill said
Actually Canada's official poverty rates have declined measurably since 2015, increased gov't supports, etc. The gov't itself has previously said "The federal government's Poverty Reduction Strategy is already showing promising results in meeting Canada's commitment to reduce poverty by 20% by the year 2020. From 2015 to 2018, the overall poverty rate in Canada fell from 14.5% to 11% of people living under Canada's Official Poverty Line." So that group is not growing, it's diminishing.

So unless I'm provided with specific data re why that 11% or so demographic needs special attention re inflation I'd instead support fighting inflation with a more generalized, macro approach looking at the whole economy. At the same time you can always increase existing gov't support amounts for the poor if poverty rate begins to increase.  

Who said anything about poverty. It’s almost as if everyone only wants to talk about highly politicalized topics. Unless that survey is wrong about that 53%, everyone needs to look at it for what is. And then think about what could happen should we continue to pound them with high inflation. That’s it!

December 14, 2021
7:05 pm
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members
Forum Posts: 2885
182sp_Permalink sp_Print

Kidd said
This never ending thread, makes me look forward to a colonoscopy.  

We generally don't do those out here any more, at least for initial screens. sf-wink It is the FIT http://www.bccancer.bc.ca/scre.....is-the-fit

December 14, 2021
9:44 pm
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members
183sp_Permalink sp_Print

Vatox said

Who said anything about poverty. It’s almost as if everyone only wants to talk about highly politicalized topics. Unless that survey is wrong about that 53%, everyone needs to look at it for what is. And then think about what could happen should we continue to pound them with high inflation. That’s it!  

You are still peddling that 53%? People do it to themselves as stated by Ipsos by digging themselves deeper. https://www.ipsos.com/en-ca/over-half-53-canadian-households-200-or-less-away-insolvency-yet-still-optimistic-about-financial

With interest rates having remained low in 2020, some Canadians have seen opportunities to take advantage of favourable rates to make purchases not normally within their budget. Six in ten (59%) believe that now is a good time to buy things that they otherwise might not be able to afford (-2 from December). In addition, nearly half (49%) say they’re more relaxed about carrying debt than they usually are (+2), rising to more than half (53%) of those aged 18-34 and 60% among those living in Quebec.

Oh wow! Interest rates go down! Let's take on more debt! What could possibly go wrong?

December 14, 2021
10:10 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9245
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

I think it's time to put this thread to bed.
New CPI for Nov is due out today.

We can start a new thread and start arguing all over again with new numbers! What fun! sf-wink

Perhaps there should be a prize for someone who comes up with a new idea and doesn't repeat what they said earlier!

December 14, 2021
10:55 pm
Vatox
Members

Agreed Loonie. But it has to be accepted as what is, regardless of how we got here. See you tomorrow after the CPI release.sf-wink

December 15, 2021
5:31 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2875
186sp_Permalink sp_Print

Vatox said

No, a slower recovery is not the cancer. It’s the inflation being forced on an increasing, fixed income population. A slower recovery won’t kill us, but inflation just might. Inflation better decrease very soon! The labour force participation doesn’t pack the same punch it once did.  

You are making a big and wrong assumption that there will be a "slower" recovery if less is done.
In my mind, all that is done so far is to "guarantee" a recovery, not in the context of "fast" vs "slow".
The side effect is potential sustained high inflation which we dont want to see.
I will also argue high inflation does not kill, we have had it before. Just have to let monetary policy work its way, which takes time and some pain.

December 15, 2021
9:22 am
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members

Loonie said
I think it's time to put this thread to bed.
New CPI for Nov is due out today.

We can start a new thread and start arguing all over again with new numbers! What fun! sf-wink

Perhaps there should be a prize for someone who comes up with a new idea and doesn't repeat what they said earlier!  

Sorry to disappoint but I doubt there will be any prizes. The new thread you just started will have the same arguments. The same >4% YOY numbers will (have to) show up for the next 3-4 months as a few of us have persistently attempted to educate folk on. Anyone in denial of that doesn't understand the math.

December 15, 2021
11:08 am
Vatox
Members

savemoresaveoften said

You are making a big and wrong assumption that there will be a "slower" recovery if less is done.
In my mind, all that is done so far is to "guarantee" a recovery, not in the context of "fast" vs "slow".
The side effect is potential sustained high inflation which we dont want to see.
I will also argue high inflation does not kill, we have had it before. Just have to let monetary policy work its way, which takes time and some pain.  

The recovery was already underway. So, by default, higher interest rates could slow and even halt the recovery.

You were the one using the analogy of killing and chemotherapy. I simply pointed out that the inflation is more damaging to the whole versus a slower recovery.

Please write your comments in the forum.