October 2021 Inflation | Page 5 | General financial discussion | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
October 2021 Inflation
December 9, 2021
2:14 pm
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2875
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

NOONE knows esp the economists and the central banks whether inflation is really transitory or not. Central banks are "hoping" its transitory, so they can wait it out before raising rates too quickly, and risk tipping the delicate balancing act of aiding the recovery from the pandemic.

One thing I do learn after being a financial professional for a long time, central bank policy are never correct, which is a polite way of saying "always wrong".
If the policy makers are right even half the time, there will not be inflation nor recession cycles. Arent they suppose to put in the "right" policy so there is "soft landing" and "prolong growth without inflation" ? And in the past 50 years or more, there is just a repeat of growth/recession cycle, with rates rising/falling AFTER the fact.
Will they get it right this time, I will bet against it.

December 9, 2021
3:21 pm
canadian.100
Members
Forum Posts: 944

savemoresaveoften said
NO ONE knows esp the economists and the central banks whether inflation is really transitory or not. Central banks are "hoping" its transitory, so they can wait it out before raising rates too quickly, and risk tipping the delicate balancing act of aiding the recovery from the pandemic.

I agree that is the current situation. There is much resistance (especially from a political point of view) to raising interest rates so as not to hinder the recovery.
P.S. On a CTV political discussion today, it was mentioned that inflation in the USA is now 6% - so after 2021 ends, I will not be surprised if it is confirmed that inflation in Canada reached around 5% in the last quarter of 2021.

December 9, 2021
4:18 pm
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members
Forum Posts: 2885
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

High inflation is indeed a problem. Low inflation is an economic necessity.

In the absence of enough productivity growth to increase GDP, the question is what is the right amount to keep GDP moving in a positive direction and thus enough job growth to match population (work force) increases. Japan is an example of what NOT to be.

When I retired, my long term assumption was 3% CPI increases. That meant costs doubling every 14 years (rule of 72). In a 30 year retirement, that would mean costs 4 times what it was at the beginning of my retirement. I can't say my standard of living has suffered any in almost 16 years of retirement so far. My DB pension is worth less but asset inflation in capital and real estate markets has more than made up for it. For the time being, there is no reason to be alarmed.

December 9, 2021
5:26 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9245

Most retirees are not in your privileged situation, AltaRed (or mine for that matter), let alone everyone else. And THAT is the problem that Vatox keeps pointing to. You can't just go on about economic theories and GDP and so on without recognizing these realities.

I'm not suffering from inflation either, but that's not relevant.
It's imperative to use a wider lens both to understand the issues and to understand one's own situation and vulnerabilities, but I am tired of repeating myself.

December 9, 2021
6:37 pm
MG
Members
Forum Posts: 263

AltaRed said

When I retired, my long term assumption was 3% CPI increases. That meant costs doubling every 14 years (rule of 72). In a 30 year retirement, that would mean costs 4 times what it was at the beginning of my retirement.   

Well my rule of 72 would have costs doubling every 24 years, not every 14 years. So just over double during your 30 year retirement.

December 9, 2021
7:07 pm
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members

MG said

Well my rule of 72 would have costs doubling every 24 years, not every 14 years. So just over double during your 30 year retirement.  

Indeed, my math is wrong. A faux pas on my part. Perhaps why I am not seeing any material impact 16 years into retirement.sf-embarassed

December 9, 2021
7:13 pm
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members

Loonie said
Most retirees are not in your privileged situation, AltaRed (or mine for that matter), let alone everyone else. And THAT is the problem that Vatox keeps pointing to. You can't just go on about economic theories and GDP and so on without recognizing these realities.

I'm not suffering from inflation either, but that's not relevant.
It's imperative to use a wider lens both to understand the issues and to understand one's own situation and vulnerabilities, but I am tired of repeating myself.  

The majority (not all) of the middle class has the same opportunities as the rest of society to stay in sync with, or ahead, of inflation, both in employment remuneration and in their investment/retirement accounts. If they are not doing so, they are not looking out for themselves. I am tired of 'woe is me' too.

A 60/40 TSX/Cdn bond balanced portfolio returned over 6% annually for the period 2000-2020 per http://www.ndir.com/cgi-bin/do.....de_adv.cgi Mix it up a bit with equal Cdn/US holdings and it is about the same. That is the gold standard reference point in investment accounts provided by any one of many mutual fund and ETF products from a wide variety of financial institutions. Inflation has been nowhere near 6% annually for the past 20 years.

My point being it does not matter if one makes $35k per year or $100k per year or has $100k in financial assets or $1000k in financial assets. A balanced fund does not differentiate between $100k or $1000k, nor does COLA wage growth on $15/hr or $50/hr, or CPP+OAS for that matter. It's all relative.

December 9, 2021
10:01 pm
Vatox
Members
Forum Posts: 1218

Lol, the same narrow frame of mind keeps coming up. It’s not relative AltaRed, because not everyone chooses to live within their means and taking advantage of all financial tactics. It would only be relative if everyone applied your way of living, but with their own income limits. And guess what, they don’t. I too would say it’s their own fault for choosing to live the way they do, but, unfortunately, we will all feel some suffering if the common good isn’t maintained. It’s a serious multiplier effect when large amounts of the population have hard times. If people stop or slow down purchases of some goods or services, it can cause others to lose jobs or wages and it keeps funnelling through the economy.

December 10, 2021
5:54 am
savemoresaveoften
Members

AltaRed said
High inflation is indeed a problem. Low inflation is an economic necessity.

Absolutely, thats exactly the reason why 1-3% is the target inflation, not 0%.
If the GDP can grow at ~2% each year, even if its 100% due to inflation, it IS a good thing.

December 10, 2021
7:00 am
canadian.100
Members
Forum Posts: 944

I know some of you could not care less, but I read this morning in US business news on iTrade, that inflation in the USA hit 6.8% in November. It is the highest inflation rate in 39 years.
I am keen to see in January what the December inflation rate turns out to be.
I would guess that Canada's rate cannot be too much behind the US rate.

December 10, 2021
7:56 am
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members

Vatox said
I too would say it’s their own fault for choosing to live the way they do, but, unfortunately, we will all feel some suffering if the common good isn’t maintained. It’s a serious multiplier effect when large amounts of the population have hard times. If people stop or slow down purchases of some goods or services, it can cause others to lose jobs or wages and it keeps funnelling through the economy.  

That has nothing to do with the angst of YOY inflation numbers the past 6 months or so - the point of this thread. Current high rates is primarily catch up for the lack of inflation in 2020 where people did very well with government largesse and lack of cost increases in 2020. If they blew it all on online shopping, buying real estate, and opening millions of discount brokerage accounts, rather than decreasing personal debt, society cannot be held responsible for poor judgement. Statistics in both USA and Canada, however, show that far fewer people were below the poverty line in 2020 and 2021 to date because of taxpayer generosity. It seems to me a large part of our society thus benefited positively in a financial sense overall.

What is really happening now is many people are now being weaned off the taxpayer teat and don't want to face the pre-pandemic world again. Guess what? Employment in Canada now exceeds 2019 pre-pandemic levels with the huge rush of new jobs being filled now that pandemic benefits have essentially ceased. Is that a surprise? McDonalds has 'for hire' signs outside their restaurants advertising $17.50/hr starting wage. Over a million job vacancies posted with offering wages up. Doesn't seem to be an income problem to me.

The short answer is taxpayer largesse positioned a good part of our society to be in a better position leading into the post-pandemic recovery than they were going into it. The country is now back to work.

Current YOY inflation numbers are likely mostly a reality check for the time being. Whether there is a structural problem or not will become more apparent come Spring/Summer 2022. We may well get 4-6 interest rate increases next year to tackle structural inflation if that appears to the case. It is simply too early to cry wolf.

December 10, 2021
9:11 am
Vatox
Members

AltaRed said

That has nothing to do with the angst of YOY inflation numbers the past 6 months or so - the point of this thread. Current high rates is primarily catch up for the lack of inflation in 2020 where people did very well with government largesse and lack of cost increases in 2020. If they blew it all on online shopping, buying real estate, and opening millions of discount brokerage accounts, rather than decreasing personal debt, society cannot be held responsible for poor judgement. Statistics in both USA and Canada, however, show that far fewer people were below the poverty line in 2020 and 2021 to date because of taxpayer generosity. It seems to me a large part of our society thus benefited positively in a financial sense overall.

What is really happening now is many people are now being weaned off the taxpayer teat and don't want to face the pre-pandemic world again. Guess what? Employment in Canada now exceeds 2019 pre-pandemic levels with the huge rush of new jobs being filled now that pandemic benefits have essentially ceased. Is that a surprise? McDonalds has 'for hire' signs outside their restaurants advertising $17.50/hr starting wage. Over a million job vacancies posted with offering wages up. Doesn't seem to be an income problem to me.

The short answer is taxpayer largesse positioned a good part of our society to be in a better position leading into the post-pandemic recovery than they were going into it. The country is now back to work.

Current YOY inflation numbers are likely mostly a reality check for the time being. Whether there is a structural problem or not will become more apparent come Spring/Summer 2022. We may well get 4-6 interest rate increases next year to tackle structural inflation if that appears to the case. It is simply too early to cry wolf.  

You are missing one massive point! People needed to have taken advantage of the lower numbers in order to weather the current “catch up” high values. I certainly did, but I’m quite sure that most simply took whatever extra cash they may have had, leftover on costs, and spent it on better, more expensive stuff, or simply more stuff. So there was no overall stashed cash to be used for today. They simply spend whatever comes into their hands. The “catch up” concept wasn’t figured into their method of living.

December 10, 2021
9:13 am
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members

Wanted to add to the above but editing feature disappears far too fast. If YOY inflation numbers do not ease off by late winter, I think it is pretty certain central banks will raise overnight interest rates to tackle inflation rates. Speculation is 4-6 raises possible in 2022.

If so, that will translate into 100-150 basis points in increases and likely a corresponding increase in HISA rates, and some increases in 1-3 year GIC rates. Maybe half that amount in 5 year rates. Just what all the HISA/GIC rate chasers in this forum want to boost their subsequent interest income by 50% or so, do they not?

December 10, 2021
9:18 am
Vatox
Members

AltaRed said
Wanted to add to the above but editing feature disappears far too fast. If YOY inflation numbers do not ease off by late winter, I think it is pretty certain central banks will raise overnight interest rates to tackle inflation rates. Speculation is 4-6 raises possible in 2022.

If so, that will translate into 100-150 basis points in increases and likely a corresponding increase in HISA rates, and some increases in 1-3 year GIC rates. Maybe half that amount in 5 year rates. Just what all the HISA/GIC rate chasers in this forum want to boost their subsequent interest income by 50% or so, do they not?  

Sure! That’s awesome for us, but the 53% of Canadians with no savings don’t benefit and will pay even more for debt servicing.

December 10, 2021
10:11 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3922

It's pretty hard to project going forward based on the extraordinary circumstances we've been in and that we're (hopefully) transitioning out of, i.e. the numbers of the last 20 months or so are going to be wonky for various reasons indicated here already. But I don't believe it's good fiscal policy to tailor it to those who are profligate (no matter how large that group is), rather aim it at those who are productive, who create wealth, because that's ultimately what sustains prosperity for all of us.

And I wouldn't want to give the message to young people that those of us who are having prosperous retirements have done so via "privilege" (certainly not true in my case, or in those I engage with), it's far more empowering to realize anyone can do it with hard work (for decades, no breaks), smart career choices (e.g. complete training aimed at high-pay jobs), and good lifetime spending, savings and investment habits.

December 10, 2021
10:42 am
savemoresaveoften
Members

Bill said
It's pretty hard to project going forward based on the extraordinary circumstances we've been in and that we're (hopefully) transitioning out of, i.e. the numbers of the last 20 months or so are going to be wonky for various reasons indicated here already. But I don't believe it's good fiscal policy to tailor it to those who are profligate (no matter how large that group is), rather aim it at those who are productive, who create wealth, because that's ultimately what sustains prosperity for all of us.

And I wouldn't want to give the message to young people that those of us who are having prosperous retirements have done so via "privilege" (certainly not true in my case, or in those I engage with), it's far more empowering to realize anyone can do it with hard work (for decades, no breaks), smart career choices (e.g. complete training aimed at high-pay jobs), and good lifetime spending, savings and investment habits.  

All you said are 100% true and sensible. However the reality is:

1) it’s easy to target the rich, no matter how they gain their wealth
2) politicians are a job to put bread on the table just like any other job, the No. 1 politician is to get elected. The easiest way to do it is to appease the poor, who will always be the majority
3) bank economists and the like always come out with their prediction / forecast day in and day out, and no consequences for being wrong, Again it’s their paying job, they get paid no matter what. Just like a lawyer gets paid whether the defendant ends up in jail or not. As long as one is shameless, it’s a job that pays pretty well too

December 10, 2021
11:29 am
Vatox
Members

This thread isn’t about politics of the rich or the poor. It’s about inflation and it’s consequences. Please refrain from talking about who gets this or that and who presumably gets more or less or who deserves more or less.

December 10, 2021
3:51 pm
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3922

Vatox, it was you, in posts 88, 92 and 94, that brought up the idea that fiscal policy (e.g. interest rates) re fighting inflation should be driven by the impact on that (according to you, large) part of the population that is just barely making it, i.e. the poor instead of the not poor, as you might say. I couldn't disagree more, in my view it should be driven by whatever will encourage wealth creation, production, etc., i.e. do what's best for the productive Canadians. That's the best policy, for the long term.

December 10, 2021
4:49 pm
Vatox
Members

Bill said
Vatox, it was you, in posts 88, 92 and 94, that brought up the idea that fiscal policy (e.g. interest rates) re fighting inflation should be driven by the impact on that (according to you, large) part of the population that is just barely making it, i.e. the poor instead of the not poor, as you might say. I couldn't disagree more, in my view it should be driven by whatever will encourage wealth creation, production, etc., i.e. do what's best for the productive Canadians. That's the best policy, for the long term.  

I never stated they were the poor or unproductive. In fact I know of two retired teachers that worked at the same place doing the same thing. One is in great shape financially and the other isn’t. It’s because of lifestyle choices and that second retiree decided to have debts and a mortgage going into a pension income. I’m simply pointing out that plenty of people are hurting and not who they are.

You drew your own conclusions about the info and decided to go with what draws the higher opinionated political points of view. Don’t put words in my mouth.

December 10, 2021
5:08 pm
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members

The economy should not work (cater to) those who exercise poor judgement in lifestyle choices and fiscal management. They will always rattle around in a can no matter what the circumstances.

Consider those low income seniors complaining today that their GIS benefits ended in July because they made far too much money in 2020 primarily from CERB benefits, and continued to collect GIS through June of this year. Where were their heads at? Certainly not about saving much of that CERB windfall for what was going to be a rainy day starting July 2021. Now they are hurting because inflation that did not exist in 2020 suddenly has gained traction at the same time GIS benefits end. They are only hurting because they did it to themselves.

Regardless, this thread is supposed to be about the legitimacy of the dark clouds that have formed with recent high YOY inflation data. A few million trees will be cooked to publish a plethora of headlines on this subject for months to come. That said, there is some decent stuff being written by the likes of The Economist on this matter without the arm waving hysteria that makes the headlines with focus on Powell of course as the heavyweight. It is pretty much in his hands on whether to pull back the throttle sooner and harder than originally anticipated just a few months ago.

Let's trust they are on top of it with minimal political interference. We are along for the ride anyway. Enjoy the higher HISA and GIC rates that will gather some momentum by Summer 2022.

Please write your comments in the forum.