October 2021 Inflation | Page 4 | General financial discussion | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
October 2021 Inflation
November 23, 2021
12:55 pm
Vatox
Members
Forum Posts: 1218
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
November 23, 2021
8:36 pm
Vatox
Members

Norman1 said

Kidd said
… I thought, Canadians have more money than they know what to do with. Maybe the likes of Rogers, air canada and every insurance company in this country are right to charge more for their substandard service, because Canadians are filthy rich.

Maybe I've been looking at our economic picture with my head in the sand. My view has always been, the glass is half empty, maybe if i had a smaller glass it would be over flowingly full and my outlook would change to the positive.

If one just focusses on the half empty glasses, then one will miss the ones that are overflowing!

There aren't multiple sources for those "53% of Canadian households are $200 or less from insolvency" news items. They are all quoting the same Ipsos poll.

The same poll also says the following:

…, the Index has also found that households are reporting having less money left over at the end of the month ($625 on average, -$108 from December). …

Overall average is $625 away from insolvency.

If 53% of Canadian households are $200 or less each month, then then other 47% must be averaging $1,104 or more each month to pull the overall average up to $625:

$200 x 0.53 + $1,104.25 x 0.47 = $624.998

The other 47% have overflowing glasses, averaging $1,104+ left each month after their expenses.

Lots of Canadian households are well off. With $1,104+ left after each month, some of them can afford a few dollars more on their utility bill or insurance bill.  

Here is why I’ve been saying you can’t average the numbers, especially for savings. Look at the savings chart. The $625 average is garbage.

https://betterdwelling.com/household-savings-data-shows-only-canadas-top-earners-are-thriving/

November 23, 2021
8:39 pm
Vatox
Members

All of those savings are in the hands of the upper echelon.

November 24, 2021
10:06 pm
Vatox
Members
November 30, 2021
2:16 pm
Vatox
Members
December 8, 2021
11:48 am
Vatox
Members

Vatox said

I don’t either because there is far more going on than employment. The changes in skilled labour are creating inefficiencies and the rising of wages is adding to the inflation. Supply chains and the movement of goods have big issues too. All we can do is wait and see what transpires.  

Referring to Loonie saying he had a hard time believing the inflation is transitory.

Yep, the tune has changed. I think Canada also admitted it’s not transitory, I’ll look for that article..

But here is the U.S.

https://fortune.com/2021/12/03/inflation-no-longer-transitory-higher-prices-fed-chair-powell-treasury-yellen/

December 8, 2021
12:21 pm
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members
Forum Posts: 2884

OTOH, Bank of Canada is not yet concerned for the longer term https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/bank-of-canada-holds-key-interest-rate-at-0-25-1.1692406 Clearly though, in the second graphic on the link, BoC is expecting high YOY rates to continue into the summer of 2022.

December 8, 2021
12:54 pm
Vatox
Members

AltaRed said
OTOH, Bank of Canada is not yet concerned for the longer term https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/bank-of-canada-holds-key-interest-rate-at-0-25-1.1692406 Clearly though, in the second graphic on the link, BoC is expecting high YOY rates to continue into the summer of 2022.  

I think it’s more about not rocking the recovery than not concerned for the longer term. Meaning they are focusing on protecting growth versus stamping out inflation. Of course, we don’t know exactly how this will play out, we may get serious Omicron outbreaks this winter and overwhelmed medical services could lead to more restrictions and lockdowns. That would stifle the broad inflation, but necessities, like food, will continue up.
As I said before, inflation will cause more damage than a rate hike

December 8, 2021
1:00 pm
Vatox
Members

Yes, the article was the same as the one I posted in today’s rate decision. It’s the third paragraph. Inflation isn’t seen as temporary anymore. Lol, it never was transitory.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/bank-of-canada-holds-key-interest-rate-at-0-25-1.1692406

EDIT: I should probably say the inflation hasn’t been transitory for a while, rather than never. We have had 7 months of reported inflation above 3% and November is done and reporting next week. I also think December will come in high.

December 8, 2021
5:24 pm
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members

As Loonie and I bantered earlier..... we will have to wait and see how Spring 2022 looks. For now, I am not going to scream 'the sky is falling'.

I have a smallish DB pension that is not COLA'd at all, so I stand to lose with inflation too on that aspect of my assets. I am thus not dismissing it either. I just think the current YOY numbers don't reflect ongoing 'rolling average' reality.

December 8, 2021
9:13 pm
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6767

AltaRed said
… I just think the current YOY numbers don't reflect ongoing 'rolling average' reality.

The actual numbers don't. The reality is being misrepresented and that Fortune article can be called "fake news."

Sky must be falling with average wages "25% higher compared to the same point last year"!

Don't look too closely at their graph! You might notice that even with the 25% climb, wages are still below what they were before March 2020, before the pandemic. As well, wages look like they are levelling off: sf-confused

Nov-Wages.png

December 8, 2021
11:15 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9245

Just curious, but how do you guys define "transitory"? I'm asking for days, months or years.
I wish I'd thought to ask this back in about April or May when inflation began exceeding its target 2-3%.
The economist at the Fed and BoC won't commit themselves to an answer. They just keep repeating that it's transitory and that they don't know how long transitory is. So I conclude their definition is endlessly elastic and therefore meaningless.
We can't really discuss whether it is transitory or not if there are no clear and agreed criteria.

We are now told to expect high inflation to continue for at least six months in 2022. Add this to 2021 from April and you have 15 months. It is now going to impact Cost of Living adjustments for DB pensions including CPP, and other benefits and annually rated expenses. One thing I feel sure of is that these increases will not be transitory. So, in my mind, we have likely already exceeded "transitory".

December 9, 2021
8:35 am
canadian.100
Members
Forum Posts: 943

Loonie said
Just curious, but how do you guys define "transitory"? I'm asking for days, months or years.
I wish I'd thought to ask this back in about April or May when inflation began exceeding its target 2-3%.
The economist at the Fed and BoC won't commit themselves to an answer. They just keep repeating that it's transitory and that they don't know how long transitory is. So I conclude their definition is endlessly elastic and therefore meaningless.
We can't really discuss whether it is transitory or not if there are no clear and agreed criteria.

We are now told to expect high inflation to continue for at least six months in 2022. Add this to 2021 from April and you have 15 months. It is now going to impact Cost of Living adjustments for DB pensions including CPP, and other benefits and annually rated expenses. One thing I feel sure of is that these increases will not be transitory. So, in my mind, we have likely already exceeded "transitory".  

Not sure why you assume "transitory" means a few days, weeks or months. I think we are talking years - and frankly no one can predict it accurately - it depends on so many variables - the ramping up of the new Variant has thrown all predictions off - so don't blame the economists - they don't control events in Canada and the world.

- I do think we are going through a period of significant inflation which is going to continue at least through 2022.
- I believe interest rates are not going to increase significantly anytime soon - very gradual increases by BoC likely in 2022. If inflation goes wild in 2022 then more pressure to raise rates.
- rates for HISA and GICs will stay about the same as they are now with slight increases starting in 2022 but again depending on many factors.
To me, transitory could mean a few years.

December 9, 2021
8:56 am
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members

Transitory is when the rate of recent cost increases decelerates back to historical rates. Inflation was far too low in last 6-8 months of 2020 and first 3-6 months of 2021 relative to desired inflation of 2-3% and relative to the years that preceded it. We are still in catch up mode until Spring 2022. Norman's wage graph is ONE example of this where wages are not yet back on trend to what they would have been if there had been no pandemic. There are no doubt similar graphs of this for a host of goods and other services, all looking a bit different in shape and timing and effect. That is what makes up the CPI.

Those who have been supporting the transitory theory know that after acceleration to 'catch up' to the trend line that was broken in early 2020, rate of increases in goods and services should decelerate back to 2-3% range. That makes them transitory. Cost of living adjustments that didn't happen in 2021 as a result of essentially zero inflation in 2020 should now happen in 2022 due to 'catch up' of cost inflation in 2021. That is as it should be to get back on trend with previous years. For example, we might have had a TFSA contribution increase to $6500 for 2022 had 2020 and early 2021 inflation been on trend but it didn't. We can perhaps expect that to happen in 2023 due to the surge in CPI in 2021 and early 2022.

What we don't know is whether some of the cost increases we have been seeing since early 2021 will decelerate back to 2-3% trend in early/mid-2022 or whether they have become structural in nature. Will some of the havoc we are seeing in the shipping industry with inefficiencies and latent costs go away back to a harmonized global trading system? Or will some inefficiencies remain in both marine and truck shipping? Will the pandemic retreat such that assembly lines for the production of consumer goods not be repeatedly interrupted do to lack of timely resources? The semi-conductor shortage is a prime example that causes interruption in autos, electronics, etc that idles production lines, increases costs and results in inventory shortages with minimal retail discounting. Try to get a discount on an auto dealer's lot these days, even on used cars. My 2007 Infiniti is worth more today than it was a year ago. Will its value suddenly plummet again to where it should have been on the trend line in 2023 when new car inventory reverts to normal? Will the health system permanently incur more costs due to permanent presence of covid-19, more ICU use, more vaccines, better LTC care for our elders?

I suspect the world will not totally retreat back to its 100% efficient self that existed pre-2020, and for good reason in some cases like health, so some structural inefficiencies will remain in place with their increased costs. That is what I think central bankers are becoming more concerned about. Have we changed the system of supply of goods and services permanently in some cases such that some higher costs are here to stay? How large is it? Does it warrant intervention?

At this point, no one quite knows what will remain of transitory inflation and what will be ultimately become a reset on structural inflation. If YOY inflation numbers fall back to the <3% range by Spring/Summer 2022, we will know most was essentially transitory.

December 9, 2021
9:18 am
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9245

canadian.100 said

Not sure why you assume "transitory" means a few days, weeks or months. I think we are talking years - and frankly no one can predict it accurately - it depends on so many variables - the ramping up of the new Variant has thrown all predictions off - so don't blame the economists - they don't control events in Canada and the world.

- I do think we are going through a period of significant inflation which is going to continue at least through 2022.
- I believe interest rates are not going to increase significantly anytime soon - very gradual increases by BoC likely in 2022. If inflation goes wild in 2022 then more pressure to raise rates.
- rates for HISA and GICs will stay about the same as they are now with slight increases starting in 2022 but again depending on many factors.
To me, transitory could mean a few years.  

I didn't include "years" because, in my opinion, if it lasts for years, it is, by definition, not transitory. The damage has been done.

I can accept that no one can predict it accurately, but the approximations offered are constantly in flux too. If you can't put a reliable end date on it, even an approximation, then you must forfeit the use of the word "transitory". The use of that word requires a deadline. Otherwise, call it "uncertain duration" or some other word that is more accurate. It appears they don't want to do that, probably afraid of "panic".

I think most of us could have accepted "transitory" if it only lasted a few months, let's say up to six months, but not when it's years and has such wide impact.

December 9, 2021
9:23 am
Vatox
Members

There is no question that inflation will eventually go back to target. The only unknown, is whether the ending of this transition will be with prices back on the initial trajectory line or on a permanent higher one.

December 9, 2021
9:27 am
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6767

canadian.100 said

I agree. I've thought the Bank of Canada was thinking about a year or two.

This is from Bank of Canada's explainer Understanding how monetary policy works:

When we adjust our policy interest rate at the Bank, we don’t expect immediate results. It usually takes 18 to 24 months to see the full effects. …

Consequently, Bank of Canada will not take any action for inflation or deflation causes that it believes will go way within two years.

It is not an exact thing. They will likely not do anything too if it looks like the causes will go away in two years and four months!

December 9, 2021
9:40 am
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members

Vatox said
There is no question that inflation will eventually go back to target. The only unknown, is whether the ending of this transition will be with prices back on the initial trajectory line or on a permanent higher one.  

I can agree with you on that thought. I suspect there will be a bit of a step change that parallels the old trend line but may be slightly higher. Health care costs for one that should never go back to where they were (the tragedy of elder care, permanent need for covid vaccines). Perhaps certain supply chains for another where cheapest sourcing overseas, e.g. chip manufacturing, may not be smart strategically. Perhaps keeping more inventory rather than just-in-time. Better HVAC systems to keep covid at bay. Higher energy costs due to carbon taxes and ideological imposition of EVs and ideological retirement of cheap sources of electricity. Or maybe consumers will start to realize they don't need as much consumption as they used to do pre-pandemic and help save our planet in the meantime There are a number of reasons to believe why there could be some minor resets.

I am just not prepared to fall for 'the sky is falling' every time a 'high' monthly YOY inflation number comes out, at least not until late Spring 2022.

December 9, 2021
10:56 am
Vatox
Members

It isn’t a case of “the sky is falling”. It’s about the inflation causing serious problems for a lot of people and that just puts more weight on the rope that’s holding everything together. I think it would be very scary to see high inflation last through to Q3 2022 or the start of Q4.

December 9, 2021
1:30 pm
Vatox
Members

The inflation is an unnecessary risk. Allowing this inflation in order to keep the recovery moving forward is not sound policy, in my view. And the reason I say this, is because rates can always be lowered again if something snaps, but the inflation causes lasting issues that will remain long after a return to target. Surely a slower recovery is more desirable, but apparently not. The only thing that would change my view, is if Canadians have fundamentally changed their standard of living.

Please write your comments in the forum.