Targeted Simplii HISA offer of 4.75% (was 3.00% and 3.85%) ending October 31st 2022 | Page 9 | Simplii Financial | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Targeted Simplii HISA offer of 4.75% (was 3.00% and 3.85%) ending October 31st 2022
November 17, 2022
7:40 am
GR
Members
Forum Posts: 632
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
161sp_Permalink sp_Print

Bonus interest was not received yet. Incredible!! Simplii informed me this morning that, apparently, bonus interest will be paid by end of November (2022?)! I spoke with a manager/supervisor and pointed out the notification from Simplii that bonus interest would be paid by November17th. He was not aware of that and claimed that the notification must have been an error! He will investigate, but, in the meantime, promised to credit my account with a goodwill adjustment.
(I wonder if the bonus interest for the period ending Oct. 31 will be paid by end of today.)

November 17, 2022
7:48 am
InterestThis
Members
Forum Posts: 268
162sp_Permalink sp_Print

I also got a pop-up saying Nov 17. I thought I had made a screenshot of it, but I guess I didn't. Simplii is simply the worst, they just do the bare minimum.

November 17, 2022
7:51 am
dougjp
Members
Forum Posts: 575
163sp_Permalink sp_Print

I suspect that everyone is premature about this, not knowing CIBC's system which, pretty much unique in the industry (and not in a good way), doesn't show today's entries until the following day. Ie; not "real time".

Those who have numerous savings accounts at various banks login on the 1rst of the month and there is the past month's interest. At all of them, but not CIBC/Simplii !

The main accomplishment of almost all organized protests is to
annoy people who are not in them.

November 17, 2022
7:55 am
InterestThis
Members

Just got an update in the live chat, he said its been paid out, and should appear end of today? So the live chat is pretty good, best way to reach them.

November 17, 2022
8:19 am
InterestThis
Members
165sp_Permalink sp_Print

fun challenge, figure out bonus interest due to be paid out, minus what has been paid, with the fluctuating rates and balances. Just did it, should be close that that.

November 17, 2022
8:42 am
elad
Members
Forum Posts: 3
166sp_Permalink sp_Print

I called in, and was told by the CSR that as per the promotion, the interest could be paid out any time in November. I told him that a popup in my account had said it would be paid today. He said they were following the promotion terms.

When I spoke to a manager, I was told that it should be paid out at some point of today and contact them if it was not in the account tomorrow.

November 17, 2022
9:22 am
Bruford
Banned
Forum Posts: 229
167sp_Permalink sp_Print

From the Simplii CSR
I have reviewed your file as well as the terms of this promotion. I can see you were enrolled in the promotion.   We are providing clients the promotional interest in batches starting today.  All of our clients will receive the promotional interest no later than November 30th 2022! 

November 17, 2022
9:49 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3911
168sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just signed in to pay a bill, pop up came up saying bonus interest will be paid "by November 17".

November 17, 2022
10:00 am
sauro88
Members
Forum Posts: 3
169sp_Permalink sp_Print

Mine just posted.

November 17, 2022
10:14 am
COIN
Members
Forum Posts: 1108
170sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yes, I see it. Don't know what time it was posted and haven't checked if the amount is correct.

November 17, 2022
10:22 am
InterestThis
Members
171sp_Permalink sp_Print

Mine also just posted. The total is about $50 less than my rough calculations, so will check it out later.

November 17, 2022
10:24 am
anita555
Members
Forum Posts: 33
172sp_Permalink sp_Print

mine posted also

November 17, 2022
11:06 am
mustang
Members
Forum Posts: 214
173sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yup, mine's there now as well
Thanks for the updates, folks

November 17, 2022
11:15 am
agit
Members
Forum Posts: 185
174sp_Permalink sp_Print

FYI interest amount is not correct. check yours

November 17, 2022
11:24 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3911
175sp_Permalink sp_Print

Need evidence to substantiate allegation of error.

I have my own plus am primary on a joint account, promo interest for both accounts put into the joint account.

November 17, 2022
11:26 am
GoldStone
Members
Forum Posts: 5
176sp_Permalink sp_Print

I built a detailed spreadsheet to calculate the expected bonus. I used the following interest rates:

Jul 1 - Aug 31: 3.85%
Sep 1 - Oct 31: 4.75%

I received about $46 more than I expected. Not sure where I went wrong. In any case, time to take my money and run. sf-cool

November 17, 2022
11:59 am
InterestThis
Members

I recalculated a little more carefully, not exact as the balance was changing around a bit. But their total is now a little higher than mine, so call it even.
Simplii interest moved into HSBC same day, interesting times...

November 17, 2022
2:01 pm
norris2
Members
Forum Posts: 21
178sp_Permalink sp_Print

I also made a half smart spreadsheet to automatically calculate from a copy/paste of transactions in online banking. It appears they calculate interest daily and round off the amount, then total them up to get the monthly or bonus interest.

I used 0.40% base interest from July 1 - Oct 31. My numbers come out within a few pennies due to the rounding error.

However I can't get the bonus to match up - with these ranges I come out close, but they overpaid me by an extra 3% of the interest (e.g. if interest should be $100 they paid $103).

3.45% Jul 1 – Aug 9
3.45% Aug 10 – Aug 31
4.35% Sep 1 – Oct 31

It appears the first bump (to 3.45%) might be backdated to Jul 1 as I tried 2.60% and it threw it way off.

Tried backdating 4.35% earlier than Sept 1 and didn't see a correct pattern. Mid August gets me the closest.

Also tried 365.25 for days in the year even though it's not applicable you'd assume, but doesn't impact the numbers enough.

I was one of the people that never added "new money" after Sep 1, in fact moved half out in mid Sep for NBC promo (mistake in hindsight)

November 17, 2022
3:01 pm
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6750
179sp_Permalink sp_Print

One cannot use the transaction dates from online banking. Those dates are the posting dates and not the effective dates of the transactions.

The effective transaction dates are shown in the monthly statements. The effective dates are the dates used for interest calculations.

Simplii also does not calculate monthly interest by calendar months. See Monthly interest is from last day of previous month to 2nd last day of month.

November 17, 2022
4:17 pm
norris2
Members
Forum Posts: 21
180sp_Permalink sp_Print

I tried using monthly statements but it only changed it by a small amount. But that did get the base interest to exactly match which proves my formulas are correct.

I didn't worry about months, since they state the date ranges for the rates. For each line item I calculate the number of days the running balance is applicable for, then: balance * days * rate / 365

Norman1 said
One cannot use the transaction dates from online banking. Those dates are the posting dates and not the effective dates of the transactions.

The effective transaction dates are shown in the monthly statements. The effective dates are the dates used for interest calculations.

Simplii also does not calculate monthly interest by calendar months. See Monthly interest is from last day of previous month to 2nd last day of month.  

Please write your comments in the forum.