2023 T5 tracking | Page 2 | Income tax filing | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
2023 T5 tracking
January 22, 2024
2:11 pm
BK
Members
Forum Posts: 18
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Received my Tangerine T5 in the mail today.

January 25, 2024
3:59 pm
dommm
Members
Forum Posts: 164

Just logged into TD Web Broker & downloaded T4RIF & RRSP contribution.

January 25, 2024
5:01 pm
Dean
Valhalla Mountains, British Columbia
Members
Forum Posts: 1914

Thanks for the Heads-Up , Dommm ❗

'Officially' T4RIFs aren't supposed to be available at TDDI (a.k.a. TD Web Broker) until Feb. 29.

Better early, than on time ... Eh. sf-smile

Dean

sf-cool " Live Long, Healthy ... And Prosper! " sf-cool

January 26, 2024
10:51 am
mustang
Members
Forum Posts: 217

Received Equity Credit Union T5 via snail mail today

January 27, 2024
2:43 am
RetirEd
Members
Forum Posts: 1019

Nothing in the mail yet but, of all my financial institutions, only Vancouver City Savings Credit Union was able to give me my T5 data "unofficially" by phone. Though their systems have the info, they won't tell me. All named dates in mid-to-late February.

RetirEd

January 27, 2024
4:47 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2885

RetirEd said
Nothing in the mail yet but, of all my financial institutions, only Vancouver City Savings Credit Union was able to give me my T5 data "unofficially" by phone. Though their systems have the info, they won't tell me. All named dates in mid-to-late February.  

Not sure Canada Post has same feature out west, but in Ontario you can sign up and they will let u know ‘arriving mail’ by email. This way you know what’s on the way.

But I remember you being very tech ‘careful’ so that may not be for you.

January 28, 2024
4:23 pm
RetirEd
Members

savemoresaveoften: Canada Post isn't involved. I called up all the financial institutions and asked them. Unless you meant that I should look into that arrangement. It wouldn't help me much anyway without knowing the contents of the E-mail.

I don't give out an E-mail address to any entity that bills or notifies me, as some of them will now stop mailing if they have an E-mail address. And E-mail is unreliable and insecure. If E-mail goes down, goes to spam, is blocked for the whole domain due to spam or whatever reason, one gets no notifications and the penalties start piling up.

RetirEd

January 29, 2024
4:21 am
savemoresaveoften
Members

RetirEd said
savemoresaveoften: Canada Post isn't involved. I called up all the financial institutions and asked them. Unless you meant that I should look into that arrangement. It wouldn't help me much anyway without knowing the contents of the E-mail.

I don't give out an E-mail address to any entity that bills or notifies me, as some of them will now stop mailing if they have an E-mail address. And E-mail is unreliable and insecure. If E-mail goes down, goes to spam, is blocked for the whole domain due to spam or whatever reason, one gets no notifications and the penalties start piling up.  

Yes CanadaPost provides a free service that sends u email to let u know what snail mail are arriving. Obv it won’t show the contents, but it will tell who the sender is.

Re email being insecure, not sure what associated equipment / email service u use. Gmail requires strong unique pass key for each authorized device to access email. It can be intercepted if ur authorized device is not secure to begin with, but it’s almost possible to crack brute force password hacking.

I will rely on email any day over snail mail. You seem to be paranoid about email, and prefer to have ur faith in an century old system that are prone to human errors. Plus the post office strikes that happen every few years like clock work, no thanks.

January 29, 2024
7:37 am
CAD
Members
Forum Posts: 26

savemoresaveoften said

Yes CanadaPost provides a free service that sends u email to let u know what snail mail are arriving. Obv it won’t show the contents, but it will tell who the sender is.

Could you be so kind to provide a link to CanadaPost email notification for regular snail mail arrival?
I found only for packages????

January 29, 2024
8:16 am
MG
Members
Forum Posts: 263

CAD said

savemoresaveoften said

Could you be so kind to provide a link to CanadaPost email notification for regular snail mail arrival?
I found only for packages????  

I am also intrigued by this. Just did a search on Canada Post website and found this:

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/personal/receiving/manage-mail/mymail.page

No idea how it actually works - do they send a photo of your mail?

January 29, 2024
8:23 am
phrank
Members
Forum Posts: 312

MG said

I am also intrigued by this. Just did a search on Canada Post website and found this:

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/personal/receiving/manage-mail/mymail.page

It seems you can only do these things in their app. I signed up after years of not using canadapost online due to it's lack of functionality and that was a mistake to think they have changed. Sure, they take your information, but then after that I can't do anything on my computer and I don't have a smartphone. I can't see a dashboard or anything. I just login and get useless pages telling me what I can do, but no option to do anything and no access to my profile or options and I've tried on multiple computers, browsers and various level of security.

Sure, this could be a great idea if it works for you, but for me, canada posts execution is again a big failure. Maybe someone else is able to do these things on your computers, but unless someone confirms otherwise, looks like this is smartphone access only.

January 29, 2024
9:52 am
RetirEd
Members

savemoresaveoften: There are lots of ways to limit access to an E-mail interface, but unless you're using end-to-end encryption (and of some sort that current crooks and governments can't crack) the contents travel in the clear. They're vulnerable to anyone along the transmission path. Financial institutions always warn their clients that they use E-mail at their own risk.

(and saying you're glad that law enforcement can crack your E-mail seems pretty silly when foretign, hostile or crooked governments are out there)

RetirEd

January 29, 2024
10:39 am
savemoresaveoften
Members

MG said

For those concerned about privacy, the sender info is in their system in the cloud, whether you like it or not . Its NOT physical, paper trail only as one may think. Weclome to 2024 🙂

sample:

Screenshot-2024-01-29-133825.jpg

January 29, 2024
10:46 am
savemoresaveoften
Members

RetirEd said
(and saying you're glad that law enforcement can crack your E-mail seems pretty silly when foretign, hostile or crooked governments are out there)  

I said that ?? I did ?? When ??

For the record, I am saying snail mall is LESS secure than a proper email.
A email does NOT hold any critical info and more or less a notice to ask you to log in to access the statements etc. If you receive email from your FIs that has critical info on the email, I like to know which one it is to avoid it. Dont think you can provide an example tho cuz that is very basic FI email engagement protocol that all FIs are aware of.

A snail mail on the other hand is zero security if its mis delivered, whether it goes to ur neighbor or another province, crooks or not.

January 29, 2024
12:46 pm
cgouimet
Members
Forum Posts: 1474

savemoresaveoften said A snail mail on the other hand is zero security if its mis delivered, whether it goes to ur neighbor or another province, crooks or not.  

That's happened to me both ways ...

1. Opening something only to see it's the neighbour's bank statement.

2. One of our neighbours doing the same to one of my investment statements.

I also had the same thing happen with an Amazon delivery a few years back. I got the SMS and email notifications that the package was delivered. But it wasn't here. The attached picture showed the package at the front door, just not our front door. Same house number, parallel street, two blocks away. I recognized the front door. I walked over to pick it up ...

CGO
January 29, 2024
1:52 pm
Alexandre
Members
Forum Posts: 1116

RetirEd said
I don't give out an E-mail address to any entity that bills or notifies me, as some of them will now stop mailing if they have an E-mail address. And E-mail is unreliable and insecure.

It used to be that some billers were sending full bills attached to emails as PDF file. While convenient, that were woefully insecure and you are right about it. Historically.

Nowadays emails from every biller and FI I deal with are nothing more than notification: "You have a bill, you owe that much, due by that date. Login to our Web site to see details of your bill."

When comes to CRA, their emails are even more abstract: "You've got correspondence, login to CRA My Account to check it."

January 30, 2024
8:09 am
CAD
Members
Forum Posts: 26

MG said

Very Interesting!!!
I already had account at Canada Post and setting an app was simple.
My concern was/is that it looks like when they verify your identity they access who knows what database. As a name I had initials but that did not work so had to provide full name and date of birth and of course full correct address.
Only then my identity was confirmed (and it looks like I can confirm it at post office most likely presenting some government ID) and they count how many time you tried to confirm your identity... Do knot know what would happen if you exhaust all attempts...
I would say WAY TO MANY info they require, store and potentially expose to crooks and hackers.
'Good news' is Bulk Barn flyer is on the way.
This might be beneficial for infirmed people who cannot walk to community box every day but so far little daily fresh air is welcomed by me.

THANK you MG for providing that link!

January 30, 2024
12:00 pm
dougjp
Members
Forum Posts: 575

phrank said

It seems you can only do these things in their app. I signed up after years of not using canadapost online due to it's lack of functionality and that was a mistake to think they have changed. Sure, they take your information, but then after that I can't do anything on my computer and I don't have a smartphone. I can't see a dashboard or anything. I just login and get useless pages telling me what I can do, but no option to do anything and no access to my profile or options and I've tried on multiple computers, browsers and various level of security.

Sure, this could be a great idea if it works for you, but for me, canada posts execution is again a big failure. Maybe someone else is able to do these things on your computers, but unless someone confirms otherwise, looks like this is smartphone access only.  

I did the same, signed up but then blank advantages. So I found an e-mail contact and wrote:
" Hello. I signed up with Canada Post today in order to get the MyMail option that I see can give me notices by e-mail of upcoming mail deliveries. I don't have a smartphone.
Is the google play store app compatible with Windows 10 computers? If not, what is the procedure to get MyMail or otherwise be advised by e-mail of future deliveries? "
Answer: " Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, MyMail is currently only available on Android and iOS. Unfortunately, we do not support Windows 10 for MyMail. "
Bizarre. We are talking about e-mail advice's, not SMS. Useless. What's the fastest way to delete my account. sf-yell

The main accomplishment of almost all organized protests is to
annoy people who are not in them.

January 31, 2024
2:41 am
RetirEd
Members

savemoresaveoften: Sorry, I should have better separated my last paragraph from the rest. I just tacked it on because I couldn't remember where there had been conversation about web dangers that provoked some other users to protest I shouldn't be defending privacy from law enforcement. Perhaps in some discussion of genetic testing?

It's true that real mail can be stolen or misdirected. But it's always had very strong legal safeguards, and it's not an error that can be planned and executed by a malicious entity. The exceptions are supermailboxes and outdoor porch mailboxes.

The many deficiencies of E-mail are legion and well known.

RetirEd

January 31, 2024
7:59 am
Alexandre
Members
Forum Posts: 1116

Motusbank T4RSP arrived in the mail today.

Please write your comments in the forum.