2022 T5 | Page 7 | Income tax filing | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
March 21, 2023
6:27 am
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6768
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
121sp_Permalink sp_Print

Trusts have an alternate $25/day penalty when the trust doesn't owe any taxes on the due date. This is from the 2022 T3 Trust Guide:

The trust may be subject to an alternative penalty if it has no unpaid taxes on the date it is required to be filed. This alternative late-filing penalty is $25 a day for each day the return is late, from a minimum of $100 to a maximum of $2,500.

March 21, 2023
10:12 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3922
122sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yes, whether trusts owe taxes or don't (e.g. all distributed to beneficiaries) there's a penalty for late filing and I used to get away with it if I was a bit late due to receiving T3s late in March but a few years ago they dinged me and they told me they have latitude no longer, it's automatic now. Don't know if it's true but now I file on time whether or not I have all the T3 slips.

I believe CRA just started up a My Account for trusts, haven't investigated yet as I'll wait until after tax time to set it up, but that might help if T3s are posted there too.

March 22, 2023
12:14 am
RetirEd
Members
Forum Posts: 1013
123sp_Permalink sp_Print

Alexandre: I can't be sure there's no account waiting for me, though I am certain there is info about me lying around in their servers. Such an account shouldn't have ever been enabled, if it exists. If someone else opens an account in my name, I'm not on the hook for it in any event.

Can you think of any further ways to strengthen taxpayer security?
RetirEd

RetirEd

March 22, 2023
6:31 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2875
124sp_Permalink sp_Print

This is my understanding.
All infos for all taxpayers are made available online by CRA by default.
It is just that anyone who wants access to it online need to register to access it.

March 22, 2023
6:35 am
Alexandre
Members
Forum Posts: 1109
125sp_Permalink sp_Print

RetirEd said
Alexandre: I can't be sure there's no account waiting for me, though I am certain there is info about me lying around in their servers. Such an account shouldn't have ever been enabled, if it exists. If someone else opens an account in my name, I'm not on the hook for it in any event.

Can you think of any further ways to strengthen taxpayer security?
RetirEd  

If someone else opens account on your behalf, they may change direct deposit info and get hold of your tax refund, for example. They can also generate fake tax return with large tax refund.

We have accept reality which is: CRA MyAccount service does exist, the way it exists. We can't change what it is, but we have options how to use it.

To register with CRA MyAccount, I believe only the copy of last year tax return is needed. Unless they made it more secure.
I registered with CRA ages ago and system only asked me for one or two lines from tax return, for verification of who I am.

It would make sense to register with CRA MyAccount even if you do not plan to use it. You can register with user name and strong password, and they have 2FA now that requires phone number.
In my opinion, as long as your CRA MyAccount will have user name you don't use anywhere else and strong complex password you made just for that account, it is a stronger protection of your info than not having registered with CRA MyAccount at all.

March 22, 2023
7:33 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
126sp_Permalink sp_Print

Alexandre said
In my opinion, as long as your CRA MyAccount will have user name you don't use anywhere else and strong complex password you made just for that account, it is a stronger protection of your info than not having registered with CRA MyAccount at all.  

Totally agree. Given it also requires 2 factor verification, its safer to HAVE an account and have strong password plus 2 factor verificaiton to your device, then NOT have online access and risk some crooks setting up your account and 2 factor verification to his device. If that happens, you dont even know your acct being accessed AT ALL !

March 22, 2023
10:31 am
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members
Forum Posts: 2884

Totally agree for reasons noted. I have taken it even further in that I have registered as AltaRed on a number of similar discussion forums just to mitigate someone else from using this Username nefariously. Sometimes one needs to self-protect.

March 23, 2023
9:24 am
Jim Sherat
Members
Forum Posts: 154
128sp_Permalink sp_Print

Has anyone else who gets a T5 from Access [Hubert] received the paper copy, even weeks prior, but still not showing up in CRA MyAccount ?

That's our situation, from multiple Joint 1yr GICs, and 2022 was first year dealing with Hubert. Just not sure if action is required to try and determine why the details don't show in MyAccount after so much time? Thanks

March 23, 2023
1:05 pm
RetirEd
Members
Forum Posts: 1013

If I've never used their on-line services, I can never be held responsible for whatever screwups they allow. And I never get a refund, so nothing can be stolen. My address is on my paper returns, and I'd be able to demonstrate it remains true for mailing purposes.

And I can't be required to use other services or notifications. I don't want to be required to pay for phone-linked texts or use any apps.
RetirEd

RetirEd

March 23, 2023
1:06 pm
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members
Forum Posts: 2884
130sp_Permalink sp_Print

The FI has been negligent filing the data with CRA and/or there has been a digital glitch at CRA getting it posted. Maybe the FI put the wrong SIN on the data file and it is posted on someone else's account. Either way, it is really not your concern to do anything about it. File your return with the correct data.

April 5, 2023
8:22 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
131sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jim Sherat said
Has anyone else who gets a T5 from Access [Hubert] received the paper copy, even weeks prior, but still not showing up in CRA MyAccount ?

That's our situation, from multiple Joint 1yr GICs, and 2022 was first year dealing with Hubert. Just not sure if action is required to try and determine why the details don't show in MyAccount after so much time? Thanks  

AltaRed said
The FI has been negligent filing the data with CRA and/or there has been a digital glitch at CRA getting it posted. Maybe the FI put the wrong SIN on the data file and it is posted on someone else's account. Either way, it is really not your concern to do anything about it. File your return with the correct data.  

No Hubert/Access yet it seems.

I also have a slip where CRA showed $0 and my slip is a loss (which is correct).
Its been a month and does not look like it will be fixed any time if at all. I speculate their auto feed system can not handle a negative number.
It will be interesting if they just use what they have on file and says I owe more tax...

April 16, 2023
10:30 am
mustang
Members
Forum Posts: 215
132sp_Permalink sp_Print

In checking CRA MY ACCOUNT today, I find two "new" T5's (from TD ASSET MANAGEMENT), posted on April 14.
I had previously downloaded these from the TD site
I didn't record the date, but I'm quite sure it was by March 1
I'm not sure why TD didn't mail them to me-- I suppose somewhere I had indicated electronic delivery of documents,
So, in this case, anyway, 6 weeks plus for CRA to get posted

Clearly, one cannot rely on CRA MY ACCOUNT to reflect all slips prior to April 30 income tax filing deadline

April 16, 2023
2:07 pm
COIN
Members
133sp_Permalink sp_Print

I just discovered I reported the same income from XYZ TWICE in 2021. I think this is fixable using "Change My Return" but I've never done it before.

Any advice from the members?

April 16, 2023
3:03 pm
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3922
134sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yup, can be done, far as I remember you just tell them what line on the return you're changing and then tell them the new number for that line and they'll recalculate the return, you'll get a new Notice of Assessment.

April 16, 2023
6:25 pm
COIN
Members
135sp_Permalink sp_Print

Bill said
Yup, can be done, far as I remember you just tell them what line on the return you're changing and then tell them the new number for that line and they'll recalculate the return, you'll get a new Notice of Assessment.  

Thanks. Wish me luck.

April 17, 2023
9:06 am
oltunde
Members
Forum Posts: 14
136sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jim Sherat said

Best to wait until around April 15, so all data updated on your CRA account. I have checked both in March and April, and some forms shows up in April.

April 18, 2023
6:27 pm
Alexandra
British Columbia
Members
Forum Posts: 458
137sp_Permalink sp_Print

oltunde said

Best to wait until around April 15, so all data updated on your CRA account. I have checked both in March and April, and some forms shows up in April.  

I went into CRA my account today. I looked and the Access/Hubert T5 hasn't been reported there yet either. Like you, I received my mailed paper T5 slip from Access quite some time ago.

April 18, 2023
9:39 pm
Warwick111
Members
Forum Posts: 54
138sp_Permalink sp_Print

Same here. My Hubert T5s are not in my CRA account yet but I was able to download the T5s from Hubert online on Feb. 23. I believed FIs are required to submit T5s to CRA by Feb. 28.

April 19, 2023
8:47 am
cgouimet
Members
Forum Posts: 1474

Warwick111 said
Same here. My Hubert T5s are not in my CRA account yet but I was able to download the T5s from Hubert online on Feb. 23. I believed FIs are required to submit T5s to CRA by Feb. 28.  

Mine were dated Mar 17 last year at the CRA. Still MIA this year. Every other 2022 T'Slip is dated on or before Mar 6.

The Hubert T5 button pusher likely has a small dialog box "Press OK to Confirm Upload to the CRA" still on their screen ...

CGO
April 19, 2023
9:39 am
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6768
140sp_Permalink sp_Print

CRA could be choking on the Hubert T5 slips for some reason.

Box 27 (Foreign currency) is supposed to be blank for Canadian dollar slips. Hubert filled in the box with "CAD" on my slip!

Please write your comments in the forum.