2021 T5 statements from various FIs and CUs | Page 8 | Income tax filing | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
2021 T5 statements from various FIs and CUs
March 18, 2022
11:32 am
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9248
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Oaken staff quality has deteriorated more generally over last few years. Beware, and double check everything they do.

A couple of years ago I bought a GIC in person at Toronto store The guy made about five errors before finally presenting me with accurate documents to sign - and it was me who had to catch the errors. They have a lot of staff turnover - I never see the same people twice there, and I've bought all my GICs in person. This particular fellow had recently arrived from Ireland and was "trying out" Canada on some kind of temporary work programme. Not exactly high commitment. He's probably been replaced several times by now by people with similar backgrounds.

March 18, 2022
2:21 pm
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6770
142sp_Permalink sp_Print

RetirEd said
Norman1: Interesting point! I've never gotten any T5s that didn't match my calculations and back statements, but Oaken doesn't give me statements. I have to call in, and their phone service response has sunk to the level of Tangerine's.

That's strange. There should be statements for your Oaken savings account. Oaken: Documents and statements mentions them:

Is there a fee to receive a paper copy of my monthly Savings Account statements by mail?

Yes, if you prefer to receive paper statements, there will be a charge of $2 per statement per month. However, e-statements are made available automatically, and are free of charge.

March 21, 2022
5:17 am
Jim Sherat
Members
Forum Posts: 154

mustang said
Found our Simplii T5's in the mailbox today
Interestingly, they do not show up yet from CRA MY ACCOUNT
Just waiting for National Bank now  

We got our 2 expected T5s from Simplii about the same time, but they still don't show up in either my, or my wife's 'My Account CRA'.
Anyone else able to now see their Simplii T5s on CRA site ?
fwiw, Our other FI T5s are to be found on CRA site, including a massive one for $0.18 from EQ !

Is it unusual for FIs like Simplii to NOT be sending T5s to the CRA? Any Issues or Concerns in that regard ?

March 21, 2022
6:01 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3924

It's not unusual for My Account to not show everything yet, as of yesterday it doesn't show a few of mine, including Simplii, i.e CIBC. Not sure if it's CRA processing issue or what but be assured the FIs have sent or will (late) send their stuff to CRA.

March 21, 2022
6:30 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2876
145sp_Permalink sp_Print

Bill said
It's not unusual for My Account to not show everything yet, as of yesterday it doesn't show a few of mine, including Simplii, i.e CIBC. Not sure if it's CRA processing issue or what but be assured the FIs have sent or will (late) send their stuff to CRA.  

My experience is CRA does it in batches, and some slips may "miss the window" and then only get "clean up / upload" after a while. So its not unusual some slips may end up in my profile BEFORE I rec soft/hard copy or vice versa. Worst I have seen is it does not show up under CRA a month after I recd my copy. Thats another reason I dont use auto import from CRA as its not reliable in my mind.

March 21, 2022
7:08 pm
RetirEd
Members
Forum Posts: 1015
146sp_Permalink sp_Print

Norman1: Yes, they will mail monthly statements for $2. I left Tangerine for wanting $2, and Wealth One for wanting $5.

As I don't want to use Oaken for anything but a single CIC at a time, I decided to forgo the fee. I am resisting the pressure to go e-banking across the industry. As much as I can.

At least, unlike W1, Oaken does not charge for other documents like GIC agreements and annual summaries. And their phone service was not as execrable when I signed up as it is now!
RetirEd

RetirEd

March 22, 2022
7:24 am
Alexandre
Members
Forum Posts: 1112
147sp_Permalink sp_Print

Alexandre said

Same here.

Still, no OAS/CPP/GIS tax forms in mail, for relatives whom I help filing their taxes. It's been quite a long wait this year.

These all finally arrived yesterday, Monday March 21st. For each person, a single envelope with all tax forms, which is different from previous years.

March 22, 2022
7:39 am
mustang
Members
Forum Posts: 216
148sp_Permalink sp_Print

OAS, CPP, T4A all came in one envelope yesterday, for spouse
For me, I got the T4A only!
On CRA site, one more T5 (from TD) now shows up
Still missing slips from Simplii and Manulife
How can people rely on the Autofill?
Seems like a grand idea, that fails in practice

March 22, 2022
7:59 am
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6770
149sp_Permalink sp_Print

RetirEd said
Norman1: Yes, they will mail monthly statements for $2. I left Tangerine for wanting $2, and Wealth One for wanting $5.

As I don't want to use Oaken for anything but a single CIC at a time, I decided to forgo the fee. I am resisting the pressure to go e-banking across the industry. As much as I can.

That will be an issue with these new financial institutions. They are not set up for telephone banking like ING Direct was when it was started.

Wyth's account agreement, for example, requires one to review account activity at least once every thirty days. There are no mailed paper statements.

March 22, 2022
8:31 am
cgouimet
Members
Forum Posts: 1474
150sp_Permalink sp_Print

mustang said
OAS, CPP, T4A all came in one envelope yesterday, for spouse
For me, I got the T4A only!
On CRA site, one more T5 (from TD) now shows up
Still missing slips from Simplii and Manulife

As of yesterday, CRA had everything I was expecting for both of us except TD Warehouse and CIBC/Simplii.

CRA has Simplii T5 today but still no TD Warehouse T5 even though I downloaded it from TD on Feb 17 ...

Autofill worked quite well in previous years but problematic this year due to late T-Slips.

But I also encountered linking issues ... It took at least 10 tries yesterday for each of us for TurboTax to successfully connect and retrieve. I have have to go through that all again to capture these new Simplii T5's and the TD Warehouse T5's when they show up. I don't know if that's a TurboTax or CRA issue ...

CGO
March 23, 2022
5:55 am
Alexandre
Members

mustang said

Autofill is not perfect, but it is better than nothing. I have quite a number of T5s from different banks, as a result of me chasing rates during the year. I let autofill enter what CRA has, and I add manually those missing, if any.
I find it more convenient than me entering all T5s manually.

Also, because I usually end owing money to CRA, I usually delay filing taxes till end of March - early April. By that time, CRA has most if not all of my tax forms in My Account, available for autofill.

March 23, 2022
6:25 am
Alexandre
Members
152sp_Permalink sp_Print

cgouimet said

I also encountered linking issues ... It took at least 10 tries yesterday for each of us for TurboTax to successfully connect and retrieve. I have have to go through that all again to capture these new Simplii T5's and the TD Warehouse T5's when they show up. I don't know if that's a TurboTax or CRA issue ...  

No problems for me today, using TurboTax. One person logs into CRA with "Sign-In Partner" account, another with "CRA sign in." For both, connection was successful on first try and download got all forms already present in CRA My Account.

Must have been temporary glitch somewhere, which now seem to be resolved.

March 23, 2022
6:32 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2876
153sp_Permalink sp_Print

Alexandre said

Autofill is not perfect, but it is better than nothing. I have quite a number of T5s from different banks, as a result of me chasing rates during the year. I let autofill enter what CRA has, and I add manually those missing, if any.
I find it more convenient than me entering all T5s manually.

Also, because I usually end owing money to CRA, I usually delay filing taxes till end of March - early April. By that time, CRA has most if not all of my tax forms in My Account, available for autofill.  

If owe tax anyway, best to wait till close to end of April, to prevent last minute T5 changes that messes things up and require amendment. Thats what I do.

March 24, 2022
6:18 am
dougjp
Members
Forum Posts: 575
154sp_Permalink sp_Print

Same here. My withholding taxes are intentionally set to be just inadequate, but enough to avoid getting into the nuisance of having to make quarterly installment payments. I don't even look to do a check at CRA online until mid April, because their processing timing has been all over the map for years. From what people are posting, this year is no different.

The main accomplishment of almost all organized protests is to
annoy people who are not in them.

March 27, 2022
5:28 am
Alexandre
Members
155sp_Permalink sp_Print

savemoresaveoften said

If owe tax anyway, best to wait till close to end of April, to prevent last minute T5 changes that messes things up and require amendment. Thats what I do.  

Just don't wait till the very last day. I've lost Internet in my house for 3 days recently, that was a reminder to give myself at least a week before deadline to submit taxes electronically.

March 27, 2022
9:35 am
gicjunkie
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 653
156sp_Permalink sp_Print

Alexandre said

Just don't wait till the very last day. I've lost Internet in my house for 3 days recently, that was a reminder to give myself at least a week before deadline to submit taxes electronically.  

Excellent advice!

March 27, 2022
9:45 am
Loonie
Members
157sp_Permalink sp_Print

If you are stuck, and have the right paper work and available cash, you can always do it at a full service bank or CU in person.

March 27, 2022
9:57 am
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members
Forum Posts: 2889

Loonie said
If you are stuck, and have the right paper work and available cash, you can always do it at a full service bank or CU in person.  

Agreed there are always non-internet options, but the recommended advice still holds. No reason to wait until the last few business days to make payment however one does it. One avoids the rush to the finish line.

I Netfile on or about Apr 20th to make allowances for Murphy's Law.

March 27, 2022
10:06 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3924

To me, filing and paying are independent actions. In the past even if I filed early I'd set up my payment (if I owed taxes) from my bank to CRA for April 25 or so.

March 27, 2022
10:09 am
Loonie
Members

Full service bank and CU branches, where they exist, are actually more reliably accessible than the internet, even if you have to stand in line. They could have internet problems too, of course, but the problem might not be the same, and they have more capacity to deal with it than you do at home.

Please write your comments in the forum.