2021 T5 statements from various FIs and CUs | Page 9 | Income tax filing | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
2021 T5 statements from various FIs and CUs
March 27, 2022
10:19 am
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members
Forum Posts: 2884
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
161sp_Permalink sp_Print

Bill said
To me, filing and paying are independent actions. In the past even if I filed early I'd set up my payment (if I owed taxes) from my bank to CRA for April 25 or so.  

I don't file earlier than about Apr 20th in event there are amended tax slips. I seem to get one of these every 2-3 years or so, usually an amended T3, or one year revised T1135 data. It just makes it simpler to wait rather than go online with an amended return.

March 27, 2022
10:45 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3922
162sp_Permalink sp_Print

Same happens to me, if my return's already filed I'll just ignore the new slip and let CRA figure it out if they really care to. And regularly some of my T-slips have amounts in weird boxes I can't be bothered to figure out how to report, so I just leave those amounts off my return and CRA can make the adjustments if it wants (I review my NOA, make sure they've given me any related foreign tax credits, etc).

March 27, 2022
4:07 pm
COIN
Members
Forum Posts: 1109
163sp_Permalink sp_Print

Is the CRA dropbox at 1 Front Street open now or still covered with a black garbage bag?

"Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) - 1 Front St W, Toronto, ON
https://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Ontario/Toronto/Canada-Revenue-Agency...
1 Front St W, Toronto, ON M5J 1A5."

March 30, 2022
5:42 pm
RetirEd
Members
Forum Posts: 1013

I always file by dropbox. No postage, no worry about delays.

Motorcycle fuel cost about 25 cents. 😀

RetirEd.

RetirEd

March 30, 2022
6:11 pm
GMH
Toronto
Members
Forum Posts: 19
165sp_Permalink sp_Print

This might be a bit off topic, but I’m wondering what to do if a T5 slip is sent to an old address, thus compromising my SIN. I informed TD Waterhouse mid-January to change my address. This should have been sufficient lead time before receiving my tax documents, which arrive towards the end of February.

After having received nothing by last week. I contacted TD and was told that the documents went to the old address. They weren’t very apologetic and even had the gall to suggest that I should have gotten mail forwarding. I have already verbally escalated the issue to a second level supervisor with no response and will make a formal written complaint to TD, but don’t believe it will go anywhere. Any suggestions under whose jurisdiction ( eg. IIROC, OSC, Office of the Privacy Commissioner) this would fall; or would none of them take it seriously?

March 30, 2022
6:27 pm
COIN
Members
166sp_Permalink sp_Print

RetirEd said
I always file by dropbox.   

Not sure about this year but the dropbox here in Toronto was covered with a black garbage bag.

March 30, 2022
6:28 pm
COIN
Members
167sp_Permalink sp_Print

GMH said
I have already verbally escalated the issue to a second level supervisor with no response and will make a formal written complaint to TD, but don’t believe it will go anywhere. Any suggestions under whose jurisdiction ( eg. IIROC, OSC, Office of the Privacy Commissioner) this would fall; or would none of them take it seriously?  

Have you tried customer care or ombudsman?

March 30, 2022
6:45 pm
GMH
Toronto
Members
168sp_Permalink sp_Print

"Shut the barn door after the horse has left"
Don't think there's much that TD can do, but would like to see them held accountable by some external body. Will still pursue with TD.

March 30, 2022
7:36 pm
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members

Not answering the question but a tip....

Lots of places drop the ball on address changes because they come in to FIs by the tractor trailer load*. It is why one should always pay Canada Post for 6 or 12 or 18 months of forwarding. I've had about 15 (maybe more) address changes in my adult life and always contracted Canada Post to forward addressed mail. One would be surprised how long it takes some places to update records. Months......

* The average Canadian family moves about every 5-7 years. If TDDI alone has 500,000 separate household accounts, that is 75000-100,000 address changes per year or about 300-400 per business day.

March 30, 2022
8:23 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9245
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
170sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have found it surprisingly difficult to even find out where to send a change of address or who to contact about it at CIBC.

Canada Post forwarding is not forever; you have to keep paying for it and it's expensive, especially considering it's no more guaranteed than any other method. They always miss some items no matter what you do.

March 31, 2022
1:33 am
cgouimet
Members
Forum Posts: 1474
171sp_Permalink sp_Print

If you don't move too often, Canada Post Redirecting is a really good idea. Expensive but a really good idea.

If you move often, overlapping Canada Post Redirectings can get confusing and really expensive.

The ultimate solution ... Electronic document pick-up and/or delivery! A green forest-friendly solution with cheap and quick redirecting. And, the occasional old document shredding process is just a few keystrokes away.

CGO
March 31, 2022
9:19 am
GMH
Toronto
Members
172sp_Permalink sp_Print

It's not my responsibility to get mail forwarding if I've informed the institution of an address change with sufficient lead time. TD is the outlier here. I received all other T5s from other FIs at the new address. I did not mail in my address change. I did it over the phone, so it was entered into their database immediately. This isn't 1980 with back offices full of paper files waiting to be processed. I even checked my E-statement for January which displayed the new address.

March 31, 2022
10:02 am
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members

You can push on a rope all you like and stick with principle. While TD may be wrong and sloppy and maybe one TD entity does not know what the other TD entity is doing, it is just like leading a horse to the trough. You can never be sure the horse will actually drink.

Consider that Murphy's Law is alive and well and that the cost of moving also includes the cost of a Canada Post redirect, just like making sure you have sufficient insurance for your goods while in transit from one location to the other.

I no longer rely on folks getting things right. I pay for a CP redirect to cover anything that can't possibly be done electronically online. FWIW, I don't trust Canada Post with anything sensitive. Mail has been known to be stolen out of community boxes, contractors and couriers have thrown mail bags in ditches and employees have been known to steal mail for various nefarious reasons.

March 31, 2022
11:21 am
MG
Members
Forum Posts: 263
174sp_Permalink sp_Print

GMH said
It's not my responsibility to get mail forwarding if I've informed the institution of an address change with sufficient lead time. TD is the outlier here.   

Actually they are not the outlier. I had a similar experience with a BMOIL corporate account. I moved and called in with my new address which was changed over the phone. I also purchased Canada Post forwarding for a year because something always goes missing. Well, even though all my statements had the correct address, my T5 went to the old address and luckily got forwarded. I called in to find out what happened. They had no idea and thought it might be because I had a mutual fund/ money market fund with another arm of BMO. I was assured it would be corrected. It took 3 years!! Of course my Canada Post forwarding had expired but when I did not get the receipt each subsequent year, I called in and complained. And they again pointed the finger at some other part of the bank. They wanted me to contact the mutual fund department, this department, that department. And believe me I tried. The third year, I finally wrote to them and complained big time. The squeaky wheel got some action but it was painful. I closed my account. sf-frown

April 10, 2022
2:55 pm
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2875
175sp_Permalink sp_Print

For those that has a T5 with Manulife, can you check if CRA recd and post ur copy under your profile already too ?
I just checked and while both my wife and myself recd the hard copy back in Feb, it does not show for neither my wife or myself on the CRA site. Find it weird given T5's deadline are Feb 28 and should be posted to the account by now.
If someone chooses to do an autofill and end up owing tax as a result, whos fault is that as CRA will calculate interest penalty on the tax owed ?

April 10, 2022
3:49 pm
MG
Members
Forum Posts: 263
176sp_Permalink sp_Print

savemoresaveoften said
For those that has a T5 with Manulife, can you check if CRA recd and post ur copy under your profile already too ?

I checked 2 days ago and Manulife was still not posted. There must be an issue with their upload files or everyone at CRA is off sick!

April 10, 2022
5:23 pm
mustang
Members
Forum Posts: 215
177sp_Permalink sp_Print

Same for me
Just checked again today, and nothing for Manulife under CRA
Two years ago, mine did not not get posted under CRA until May 5
I tore into Manulife, and they swore they had submitted it, and that I should check with CRA.
Yeah, like that was ever going to get me anywhere!
I have since changed my mind--i.e., I believe Manulife was straight enough with me, and that the issue is indeed with CRA.
(Good luck getting something done about that!)
So this has pretty much wiped out my dream of Autofill being the answer to posting all my tax slips
Indeed, it is a useful adjunct-- there are slips-- including T4OAS and T4CPP -- that I never got a hard copy of, or a method of downloading successfully, and I was able to get them from the CRA site

April 11, 2022
7:25 am
COIN
Members
178sp_Permalink sp_Print

Received Manulife paper T5 weeks ago . Nothing in CRA account as of early April.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.