Tangerine Retention Rates/Winter Promo Q1(Jan) 2018 | Page 5 | Tangerine Bank | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Tangerine Retention Rates/Winter Promo Q1(Jan) 2018
January 4, 2018
6:48 am
SavingIsGood
Banned
Forum Posts: 215
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

toto said
I called in to bug them as to why I haven't had a promotion for a year, and they said it's because I'm a rate chaser, I take my money out right after the promotion.
I told the csr that I would leave it if there was gic promotions, it is always about the rate.
I don't think I'll be getting any targets in future.  

That will be VERY rude and reason to file complain with Tangerine and ombudsman. Of course, you have to have it recorded or saved chat. Otherwise I can trust you only 50%.

ALL people following this particular topic on this fine Web Site (thank you Peter for hard work and info how to activate this particular offer!) ARE rate chaser. We all want most interest for our hard earned money. I doubt any CEO earning yearly salary of average Canadian within few hours on Jan 2nd is here...

Tangerine is definitely getting very sneaky... I initiated pull on Thursday; money should be taken from account on Saturday the latest. It was always like that. But actually money has been deducted on Jan 2nd when new offer started. In my book, they screwed on purpose all 'rate chasers' who do withdrawal at the end of previous offer. I will chat with rep to see if am I eligible for this offer... but somehow I am becoming sick of this games plus only 100K is insured and am gambling with anything >100K.
I did similar pull from 'normal' bank and money were deducted as expected on Saturday...

An update: Chatted with Tang. Snapshot was taken '24 hours before 3rd Jan.' whatever that means. Bottom line was, since withdrawal occurred on Jan 2nd, I am NOT eligible for this latest offer AND they cannot offer any retention rate (as they did at the end of Dec - 2.5%). Let me open few nice and safe GICs at another - Great bank...

January 4, 2018
6:49 am
dougjp
Members
Forum Posts: 575

savemoresaveoften said

To give an update, even tho I still have not received any email offer, I actually saw rates promotion under the "Insight" tab after I log in. Like others mine is also 2.5% until May31 and looks like they decided to just standardize the rate offer.

Their web site is a little quirky right now and I have to log out and log back in to see any changes I made (so as cancelling pending transactions etc). If you click on Activate offer more than once, it will show offer no longer avail but you can see it being added under ur profile/settings/ bonus.

Will see what Simplii does end of Feb given everyone has Tangerine 2.5% as a back up rate Mar thru May.  

Yes, also got the 2.5% offer. Unlike Tangerine and every other bank, Simplii only pays a minority of its interest monthly, so their offer rate at the end of February has to beat 2.5%, or be for a noticeably longer time frame than Tangerine, or they will lose massive deposits.

The main accomplishment of almost all organized protests is to
annoy people who are not in them.

January 4, 2018
7:29 am
2of3aintbad
Members
Forum Posts: 317

dougjp said

Yes, also got the 2.5% offer. Unlike Tangerine and every other bank, Simplii only pays a minority of its interest monthly, so their offer rate at the end of February has to beat 2.5%, or be for a noticeably longer time frame than Tangerine, or they will lose massive deposits.  

Hopefully, Simplii will try a different tactic, eg. inform current clients ahead of time. Otherwise, they will lose massive deposits before Feb 28 anyway because we will be clearing out our accounts in case the next promo is for 'new deposits' only. This will be a chance to see if they are like Tangerine or like Oaken.

January 4, 2018
8:27 am
rhvic
Victoria, BC
Members
Forum Posts: 468

smayer97 said

Of course, Ideal has very restrictive limits for moving money in and out, to a max of $25K in/month and $10K out/month via Interac e-transfer only (other than via mail).
Details here: https://idealsavings.ca/extras/online-services/

Not "Ideal" for folks with larger sums to move.  

This is not my experience with Ideal! I have pulled monies from Ideal, and pushed it back to Ideal, from a number of institutions using the normal electronic funds transfer, up to 100K in one day! Interac is not your only option. Yes, setting up transfer accounts from the Ideal end is not good, but one can easily link to Ideal from other institutions (e.g. Tang, Hubert, EQ).

January 4, 2018
8:32 am
dougjp
Members
Forum Posts: 575

rhvic said

This is not my experience with Ideal! I have pulled monies from Ideal, and pushed it back to Ideal, from a number of institutions using the normal electronic funds transfer, up to 100K in one day! Interac is not your only option. Yes, setting up transfer accounts from the Ideal end is not good, but one can easily link to Ideal from other institutions.  

smayer97's comments surprised me, my experience is good as well. Perhaps he is referring to interac rules I'm not aware of.

There is some paperwork at the outset, but its easy to pre set up a linked A bank chequing account and thereafter just call in to give transfer instructions. I was told there are 3 free transfers out per month to the linked account with no dollar limit . In comparison Alterna is 2 free transfers per month, a 25k daily limit and 50k weekly limit.

However, I have to admit to a continuing confusion over different transfer terms used in here, like interac, push, pull etc., so I'm probably unique in this regard because everyone else seems to automatically 'get it'! 🙂

The main accomplishment of almost all organized protests is to
annoy people who are not in them.

January 4, 2018
8:43 am
toto
Members
Forum Posts: 306

Yes the csr did say I was a rate chaser, I wasn't offended though, as some of my fellow bloggers have said on this topic, we are all rate chaser and do our homework to get a better return. It's all about the rate and we as a group are motivated to search it out or phone and ask for it. I'm going to take it as a compliment!

January 4, 2018
9:09 am
theodor
Members
Forum Posts: 19

Happy New Year all:

wanted to share that I received an offer of 2.5% for 3 months after talking to an agent at Tangerine. What I don't understand is the discussion about existing funds not qualifying unless they have been removed before a certain "snap shot" date?
I transferred funds from Scotiabank to Tangerine Chequing account January 2, 2018 and was surprised to see a good portion of the funds "on hold". I phoned and asked the agent why the hold when the funds came from their sister company Scotiabank and how I felt it unfair to not be able to earn interest. It was then the agent transferred the funds to our savings account at 2.5% interest for 3 months. When I read through the terms of the offer there is no mention of any existing funds being excluded from the promotion, certainly not the funds I had sitting in my chequing account as of January 2, 2018. Has Tangerine changed the terms?

January 4, 2018
9:22 am
2of3aintbad
Members

theodor said
Happy New Year all:

wanted to share that I received an offer of 2.5% for 3 months after talking to an agent at Tangerine. What I don't understand is the discussion about existing funds not qualifying unless they have been removed before a certain "snap shot" date?
I transferred funds from Scotiabank to Tangerine Chequing account January 2, 2018 and was surprised to see a good portion of the funds "on hold". I phoned and asked the agent why the hold when the funds came from their sister company Scotiabank and how I felt it unfair to not be able to earn interest. It was then the agent transferred the funds to our savings account at 2.5% interest for 3 months. When I read through the terms of the offer there is no mention of any existing funds being excluded from the promotion, certainly not the funds I had sitting in my chequing account as of January 2, 2018. Has Tangerine changed the terms?  

There are 2 different offers - the targeted one for 2.5% until May 31 for all savings accounts, including TFSA & RRSP, and the retention offer for 3 months typically only for non-registered savings.

Even though some of Tangerine savings account. It sounds as though you were not targeted for the May 31 offer. The CSR transferred your funds and effectively enrolled you for the 3 month retention offer, as far as I can tell.

January 4, 2018
9:43 am
monju00
Members
Forum Posts: 21

A Great Interest Rate on New Deposits to Your Savings Account(s) Is Just One Button Away!
Hit the ‘Activate Now’ button below (or in the banner above) to earn 2.50% interest* on new deposits made to your Tangerine Savings Account(s), Tax-Free Savings Account(s) and RSP Savings Account(s):
1. Activate by January 31st to put your special interest rate in place.
2. New deposits to these Accounts from January 3, 2018 to May 31, 2018 will earn your special rate of 2.50%.
Activate Now

January 4, 2018
10:00 am
CHUCK21
Members
Forum Posts: 63

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO GO ON TANGERINE'S SITE IN ORDER TO FIND OUT WHAT RATE YOUR ACCOUNTS ARE GETTING?

January 4, 2018
10:03 am
CHUCK21
Members
Forum Posts: 63

ME AGAIN, IF YOU HAVE AN ACCOUNT FOR YOURSELF, FOR YOUR WIFE AND A JOINT ACCOUNT DO YOU GET THE PROMO RATE ON ALL 3 ACCOUNTS. MY WIFE AND I ARE BOTH GETTING THE 2.5 RATE.

January 4, 2018
10:15 am
bpwest
Members
Forum Posts: 84

Got the same 2.5% Jan 3- May 31 targeted offer as those who received offers.

Although most of my money was already at Simplii, I essentially drained out 99% of the remainder from my expiring 2.75% Tang offer, in late Dec., just to be safe, as we never really know the 'snapshot' date until it happens.

Receiving targeted offer saved me from calling Tang to ask for a retention offer, although I am well served @ Simplii until Feb 28.

January 4, 2018
10:19 am
JenE
Members
Forum Posts: 416

CHUCK21: Go to your name, top right hand corner, click on profile and settings, click on bonuses & contests, scroll down to Special Rate Offers.

January 4, 2018
10:52 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3922

My wife called today, on hold for 35 minutes, got 2.5% retention offer for 90 days.

Based on past experience, Simplii won't make an effort to keep my money after Feb 28 but this general 3% promo for everybody is different so they might start playing the Tangerine-style game.

CHUCK21, if your wife and you each have your own savings account you each have to get your own offer from Tangerine. Sometimes they give an offer to one spouse and not the other. If a person gets an offer, it also applies to a joint account on which they are the primary holder.

January 4, 2018
10:56 am
2of3aintbad
Members

Bill said
Based on past experience, Simplii won't make an effort to keep my money after Feb 28 but this general 3% promo for everybody is different so they might start playing the Tangerine-style game.

Simplii has been around only for a few months. What experience did you have? It may be useful for us to know as Feb 28 approaches.

January 4, 2018
11:37 am
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members
Forum Posts: 4230

2of3aintbad said
Simplii has been around only for a few months. What experience did you have? It may be useful for us to know as Feb 28 approaches.  

That's simply not accurate. This is their 20 year anniversary, or close to it, perhaps more than. They only underwent a name change and made slight changes in terms of account opening procedures. sf-cool

Cheers,
Doug

January 4, 2018
11:42 am
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members

What do you guys mean by "screwing 'rate chasers'" for withdrawals? Did they change the terms or just make the "deposit balance capture date" earlier than normal, being January 2nd, 2018?

If the latter, this doesn't surprise me. As many of you will know, I've been waxing on here many times about how Tangerine under CEO Rideout and with Scotiabank manipulating her "strings" like a marionette, they are squeezing more profit out of the "fruit" when their current business model and customer growth simply doesn't allow for much, if any, profit growth on an annual basis. sf-cool

Cheers,
Doug

January 4, 2018
11:47 am
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members

fbeaulie said
I was planning on moving everything out on January 1st but I was away and I came back later than expected 🙁

I moved everything out to my Tangerine Checking account very early January 2nd.

I recall seeing questions as to whether or not it was "end of day" but I don't recall if someone had a definitive answer?

Thanks  

Deposit balances are captured start of day, I believe, even though your rate of interest is paid for the day is calculated on end of day balances. I believe you would be ineligible. sf-cool

With the stat holiday, I think they likely planned this somewhat "early start" to their promo, thinking people wouldn't initiate a transfer till Dec. 29th or later to capture the extra several days of interest. You might get a retention rate but, as I spoke with Tangerine before, they said that they were "pretty sure" that the Marketing Department looks at people who've received "retention rates" in their determination of new promo rates or even new promo eligibility. sf-cool

Those that transferred out on or before Dec. 28th would likely be eligible. 🙂

Cheers,
Doug

January 4, 2018
11:55 am
Slybanking
Members
Forum Posts: 108

Doug said

Deposit balances are captured start of day, I believe, even though your rate of interest is paid for the day is calculated on end of day balances. I believe you would be ineligible. sf-cool

With the stat holiday, I think they likely planned this somewhat "early start" to their promo, thinking people wouldn't initiate a transfer till Dec. 29th or later to capture the extra several days of interest. You might get a retention rate but, as I spoke with Tangerine before, they said that they were "pretty sure" that the Marketing Department looks at people who've received "retention rates" in their determination of new promo rates or even new promo eligibility. sf-cool

Those that transferred out on or before Dec. 28th would likely be eligible. 🙂

Cheers,
Doug  

As I mention before unless they changed the rules, go on your website, login, press the saving account icon and check what is the last balance for your saving account for Jan 2nd. That is what they should use for the snapshot. In any case that is what they use for the last quarter cause it worked for me.

January 4, 2018
12:00 pm
SavingIsGood
Banned
Forum Posts: 215
100sp_Permalink sp_Print

Doug said
What do you guys mean by "screwing 'rate chasers'" for withdrawals? Did they change the terms or just make the "deposit balance capture date" earlier than normal, being January 2nd, 2018?

Exactly like that: We totalled up the balances of your eligible Savings, TFSA and RSP Savings Account(s) as they were on January 2, 2018 to get your total balances per Account type

At any 'normal' week if you initiated pull from other bank on Thursday, money from Tang will be gone on Saturday morning.
For this 'promotion' they did not process transfer from THEIR account until Jan 2 and automatically you are screwed if you had a lot of $ on account.
Meaning: if you enjoyed 2.75% in Oct-Dec and had, lets say $400K, to 'enjoy' 2.5% you will have to put back $400K (earning 1%) and only additional $ would earn 2.5%.
Knowing that most 'rate chasers' will wait until last moment to pull money they applied little patch to their code:
if balance >100
then
delay transfer until Jan 2
else
who cares, let them move...
end-if

Please write your comments in the forum.