Tangerine Retention Rates/Winter Promo Q1(Jan) 2018 | Page 2 | Tangerine Bank | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Tangerine Retention Rates/Winter Promo Q1(Jan) 2018
January 1, 2018
7:02 pm
howiemandel
Canada
Members
Forum Posts: 24
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Saver-Mom said
I don't understand calling in when they may be making offers higher than that in a few days...are you afraid it will all end?  

I have to call in, in order to move my funds out. anything over 50k and you need to do it over the phone where they can verify with further security questions + give themselves an opportunity to retain your cash.

January 1, 2018
7:04 pm
howiemandel
Canada
Members
Forum Posts: 24

rfdm4g4g9 said

You called in too early .

Call on December 29 to transfer the money. The money won't be out till Jan 2, since Dec 30, Dec 31 & Jan 1 are holidays. But Tuesday - Jan 2 the money will be out of Tangerine.

So you will earn interest till Jan 1, 2018 on that money, even though you initiate the transfer on Dec 29.

They will take a snap shot of your balance for Jan 3 for the promo rates.  

completely agree but i took a conservative approach to clear out a couple days earlier given the holidays etc. not trying to be perfect, trying to be complete

January 1, 2018
8:32 pm
moneyhelp
Members
Forum Posts: 273

howiemandel said

I have to call in, in order to move my funds out. anything over 50k and you need to do it over the phone where they can verify with further security questions + give themselves an opportunity to retain your cash.  

Exactly right, I had to do the same thing and call in. When I attempted to do it online, it prompted me to call in, so next day I did.

Interestingly, the CSR didn't even ask why, or offer anything and I didn't bother inquiring.

January 1, 2018
8:49 pm
smayer97
Members
Forum Posts: 783

Just remember that as has been described in the older Tangerine thread, you do not need to move your money out of Tangerine, only move it out of the Savings account. So, you can simply open a chequing account with Tangerine if you do not have one (only takes a few minutes, no rep needed), and move the money there...NO $50K limit either for the transfer.

Also, you do not need to do things a few days ahead for fear of missing a date. Just schedule the transfer (wherever you choose). Mine was scheduled for today, Jan 1 and it was automatically processed at 3 AM.

January 2, 2018
8:29 am
SavingIsGood
Banned
Forum Posts: 215

moneyhelp said

Exactly right, I had to do the same thing and call in. When I attempted to do it online, it prompted me to call in, so next day I did.

Interestingly, the CSR didn't even ask why, or offer anything and I didn't bother inquiring.  

Exactly wrong. You do not have to do that. I explained way ago how to move up to 2 million from Tangerine... I just moved out 400+K...

January 2, 2018
1:27 pm
smayer97
Members

SavingIsGood said

Exactly wrong. You do not have to do that. I explained way ago how to move up to 2 million from Tangerine... I just moved out 400+K...  

I presume you mean instead of pushing money out, you initiate transfer from the other destination bank instead? Or some other way?

Since this is a new thread, please describe (especially for anyone new coming here).

January 2, 2018
1:35 pm
dougjp
Members
Forum Posts: 575

smayer97 said

I presume you mean instead of pushing money out, you initiate transfer from the other destination bank instead? Or some other way?

Since this is a new thread, please describe (especially for anyone new coming here).  

Agreed. I can guarantee the search tool here is pretty useless because I couldn't find his details.
I think in the Simplii thread the way to do it with them is to do multiple $ 50k transfers online to your linked chequing account. What I'm reading in the two retention rate threads is this doesn't work the same with Tangerine, but its confusing and insufficiently explained anyway. Of course initiating a transfer from a linked chequing account is impossible, and even if it was, would have a hold funds.

The main accomplishment of almost all organized protests is to
annoy people who are not in them.

January 2, 2018
2:11 pm
smayer97
Members

dougjp said

Agreed. I can guarantee the search tool here is pretty useless because I couldn't find his details.
I think in the Simplii thread the way to do it with them is to do multiple $ 50k transfers online to your linked chequing account. What I'm reading in the two retention rate threads is this doesn't work the same with Tangerine, but its confusing and insufficiently explained anyway. Of course initiating a transfer from a linked chequing account is impossible, and even if it was, would have a hold funds.  

Terrible searching on this site... 🙁

You used to be able to push in $50K increments. Now Tang has reduced this to $25K, and IIRC they limit that to PER DAY now...unless you call in.

January 2, 2018
3:48 pm
DavidAlta13
Members
Forum Posts: 92

dougjp said

Of course initiating a transfer from a linked chequing account is impossible, and even if it was, would have a hold funds.  

Initiating transfers from linked accounts is possible,
Holds are not always placed on the transferred funds, and
There are no limits on transfers from TD, Hubert or EQ Bank:

I initiate transfers to & from Tang from both Hubert and EQ Bank, without limit.
TD does NOT put a hold on funds transferred into my TD chequing account from any of Tang, Hubert or EQ Bank.

My Tang Savings is linked to my TD chequing account and to my EQ Bank account. Tang puts a 5 day hold on my deposits.
My Hubert account is linked to my Tang Savings account and to my TD chequing account. Hubert puts a 4 day hold on my deposits.
My EQ Bank account is linked to my TD chequing account and to my Tang Savings account. EQ puts a hold on deposits.
TD does not put a hold on my deposits that are electronically transferred in from Tang, Hubert or EQ Bank.

On Dec 21, 2017, I used the Hubert site to transfer > $100K from my Tang Savings. Hubert put a 4 day hold on the funds: Dec 22, 27, 28 & 29, so the funds could be withdrawn Jan 2, 2018. Hubert started paying me interest on Dec 21.

On Jan 3, I will move the funds from Hubert to TD chequing, with no hold.

On Jan 4, I will move the funds from TD chequing to Tang Savings; Tang will put on a 5 day hold but will start paying interest on Jan 4.

Hubert submits transactions to the interbank settlement system twice a day, around noon and 5 PM eastern.
Both result in same day postings to my Hubert account.

The earlier one results in next day postings to the linked account:
if I move the funds to TD chequing before noon eastern on Jan 3, they will post to my TD chequing on Jan 4.

If I wait until after noon eastern to do a Hubert transaction, it does not get posted to the linked account for 2 days:
My Dec 21 transfer into Hubert from Tang was done after noon eastern.
It was posted to Tang 2 days later on Dec 27 (Dec 22 was day 1, then 4 days of weekends & stat holidays, so Dec 27 was day 2).

Tang paid me my 2017 Q4 2.75% interest for Dec 21 - 26, and Hubert also paid me 1.85% for those same days. That was 6 days worth of double interest, helping to offset the "lost" interest for not getting any Tang interest for Dec 27-31.
Hubert will pay me 1.85% for Jan 1-2, better than the 1% Tang would have paid.
Tang will pay me 1% on the 2017 Q4 interest deposited to my account on Dec 31 (1%) and Jan 1 (1.75%) for Jan 1-2 - I will withdraw it on Jan 3.
I will not get any interest for Jan 3.
Tang will start paying me interest on Jan 4.

The Dec 21-Jan 3 net interest will be:
Dec 21-26: 2.75% + 1.85% = 4.60%;
Dec 27-Jan 2 = 1.85%
Jan 3 = 0.00%
14 day Average = 2.90%.
If I had left the funds in Tang Savings until Jan 3, their 14 day average would have been 2.60%, so this approach made me $22.74 / $100K more.

If Tang has not made me a Jan 4 - Mar 31 special offer by Jan 5, I will call and see if I can still get 2.5% for the 90 days Jan 5 - Apr 4.
This is important as any 2018 Q2 special offer would start Apr 5, but would only be made if there was no 2.5% promo rate on my Tang Savings on Apr 5.

January 3, 2018
12:09 am
Rick
Members
Forum Posts: 1110

dougjp said

Wasn't that difficult to find the posts:

SavingIsGood said
July 12 2016 EFT Withdrawal to Hubert transfer $xx0,000.00
Uncategorized

March 31 2017 EFT Withdrawal to Hubert transfer $x00,000.00
Uncategorized

In both cases transfer was initialized at Huber's side to take money from Tang account.

January 3, 2018
12:18 am
smayer97
Members

Rick said

dougjp said

Wasn't that difficult to find the posts:

SavingIsGood said
July 12 2016 EFT Withdrawal to Hubert transfer $xx0,000.00
Uncategorized

March 31 2017 EFT Withdrawal to Hubert transfer $x00,000.00
https://www.highinterestsavings.ca/forum/luminus-financial/caution-about-luminus-fees/#p27327Uncategorized

In both cases transfer was initialized at Huber's side to take money from Tang account.

So where is that post? The link you provided does not go there.

Also, how did you find it anyway?

January 3, 2018
12:55 am
Rick
Members

smayer97 said

So where is that post? The link you provided does not go there.

Also, how did you find it anyway?  

Sorry...link shouldn't have posted...my bad.
I clicked on posters name to the left of post #25 in this topic.
When his/her profile opened, I clicked on the "Topics posted in" button then I gambled from the list of topics he posted in that it would probably be in the
"PUSH & PULL Limits from Tangerine - Questions" topic
https://www.highinterestsavings.ca/forum/tangerine-bank/push-pull-limits-from-tangerine-questions/
clicked on it, scrolled down to poster's post, and there it was.

January 3, 2018
1:06 am
smayer97
Members

Rick said

Sorry...link shouldn't have posted...my bad.
I clicked on posters name to the left of post #25 in this topic.
When his/her profile opened, I clicked on the "Topics posted in" button then I gambled from the list of topics he posted in that it would probably be in the
"PUSH & PULL Limits from Tangerine - Questions" topic
https://www.highinterestsavings.ca/forum/tangerine-bank/push-pull-limits-from-tangerine-questions/
clicked on it, scrolled down to poster's post, and there it was.  

Ok, so with a bit of deductive reasoning you got lucky 😉 not as a result of the searching "capabilities" of this site.

Anyway, thanks for sharing...this confirms that the way around Tang's limits is to do a pull instead of a push.

January 3, 2018
8:11 am
Winnie
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 463

Activate Your Special Savings Rate Offer Today

You’re Eligible for a Special Interest Rate on Your Savings

Here’s how you can start earning 2.50% interest* on new deposits made to your Tangerine Savings Account(s), Tax-Free Savings Account(s) and RSP Savings Account(s):

Click the ‘Activate Now’ button below by January 31st
New deposits made to your Applicable Accounts from January 3, 2018 to May 31, 2018 will earn your special rate of 2.50%

Once You’ve Activated, Here’s How It Will Work:

We’ll total up the balances of your eligible Savings, TFSA and RSP Savings Account(s) as they were on January 2, 2018 to get your total balances per Account type
From January 3, 2018 to May 31, 2018, you’ll earn your special interest rate on new deposits over your total balances calculated on January 2, 2018 (up to $500,000 per Account Type)
The rest of your Account balance will earn the current posted rate

Activate now and help your savings grow at your special rate. Remember, if you don't Activate, you won't receive this rate.

January 3, 2018
8:45 am
Rick
Members

2.5 for 5 months. Disappointing. Rather keep it in EQ. Moved the snapshot day from the 3rd to the 2nd. Sneaky.

January 3, 2018
9:07 am
Slybanking
Members
Forum Posts: 108

My wife and I just got the same exact offer.

January 3, 2018
10:37 am
rfdm4g4g9
Members
Forum Posts: 252

Yup - 2 Accounts and the exact same offer of 2.5 % . Money will stay in Simplii at 3 %. Hopefully after Feb 28, Simplii extends the 3 % sf-smile

But I think this time TFSA are included for the promo rate, not sure if they were included last time or maybe they were sf-confused

Sneaky -
1.Snap shot date moved 1-2 days before than normal ,
2.Plus you have to activate the offer, its no longer automatic.
3. No email received at least so far regarding the activate offer.

So lot of people who don't check their account often, might actually move NEW money there & NOT get the 2.5 % as they didn't activate the offer, although they are eligible for it & were offered it.sf-yell
------------------------------------------------------

You’re Eligible for a Special Interest Rate on Your Savings

Here’s how you can start earning 2.50% interest* on new deposits made to your Tangerine Savings Account(s), Tax-Free Savings Account(s) and RSP Savings Account(s):

Click the ‘Activate Now’ button below by January 31st
New deposits made to your Applicable Accounts from January 3, 2018 to May 31, 2018 will earn your special rate of 2.50%

Once You’ve Activated, Here’s How It Will Work:

We’ll total up the balances of your eligible Savings, TFSA and RSP Savings Account(s) as they were on January 2, 2018 to get your total balances per Account type
From January 3, 2018 to May 31, 2018, you’ll earn your special interest rate on new deposits over your total balances calculated on January 2, 2018 (up to $500,000 per Account Type)
The rest of your Account balance will earn the current posted rate

Activate now and help your savings grow at your special rate. Remember, if you don't Activate, you won't receive this rate.

January 3, 2018
10:40 am
rfdm4g4g9
Members

Looks like they have changed things now.

Its 5 months instead of 3 months.
You have to activate the offer now.
Almost everyone has either NO offer or 2.5 % . No varying degrees now like 2.22 %, 2.75 %, 2 % etc etc.
1-2 days earlier than usual the snap shot.

January 3, 2018
10:42 am
rfdm4g4g9
Members

howiemandel said

completely agree but i took a conservative approach to clear out a couple days earlier given the holidays etc. not trying to be perfect, trying to be complete  

You were rightsf-cool
Being conservative paid off. This time the snap shot for the balance is January 2.

Your money went out before that.

January 3, 2018
10:45 am
Peter
Admin
Forum Posts: 1404

In case anybody has trouble locating the offer in their account: Note that I found my offer under Insights and in one of the slider banners. It did not show up under Profile & Settings > Bonuses & Contests until I activated it, nor under the individual account views (at least on the default Transactions tab; it might have appeared under Account Details, but I didn't check there before I activated it).

Please write your comments in the forum.