5% Savings Promo Ending Sept. 30, 2023 - Any Extension Yet?? | Tangerine Bank | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
5% Savings Promo Ending Sept. 30, 2023 - Any Extension Yet??
September 23, 2023
8:10 pm
GR
Members
Forum Posts: 634
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

For those on the 5% promo from Feb. 2/23 to Sept. 30/23, has anyone received a promo offer yet to leave funds in the account with a new higher promo rate starting Oct. 1/23? It seems that this has been Tangerine's practice lately, but that targeted offer should have been released already (or to come maybe this Monday). If no new offer, say farewell to Tangerine for now, and funds should be transferred out before end of September, in case next offer is for new money only.

September 24, 2023
9:53 am
Dean
Valhalla Mountains, British Columbia
Members
Forum Posts: 1914

That promo has already been extended once. I'm guessing the chances of it being extended a second time (and improved) are pretty slim . . .

. . . but we can always hope sf-smile

Dean

sf-cool " Live Long, Healthy ... And Prosper! " sf-cool

September 24, 2023
5:50 pm
Alexandre
Members
Forum Posts: 1116

I am on that promo. I am waiting for an extension, but if nothing comes - my money goes elsewhere by the end of week. Just like I usually do a week before promo ends.

September 24, 2023
6:01 pm
suburbs4life
Members
Forum Posts: 163

“I am on that promo. I am waiting for an extension, but if nothing comes - my money goes elsewhere by the end of week. Just like I usually do a week before promo ends.”

Same

September 25, 2023
9:51 am
Dean
Members

That's the Standard (Cookie-Cutter) procedure

A.K.A. "The End Of The Promo Dance". sf-wink

Dean

September 26, 2023
7:54 am
Gogie
Members
Forum Posts: 17

Just received the "email" this morning:

XXXXX, the secret’s out. A new special Savings rate is coming your way!

Very soon, you’re going to be able to earn a 5.85% special interest rate on all of your eligible non-registered Savings balances of up to $1,000,000 combined*!

* The 5.85% Interest Rate Offer (the “Offer”) is only available to existing Tangerine Clients who have received this communication directly from Tangerine and who activate the Offer online by October 31, 2023. The 5.85% promotional interest rate (the “Promotional Interest Rate”) is valid from October 6, 2023 to December 31, 2023 (the “Promotion Period”) and is only available for eligible non-registered Tangerine Savings Account(s) (“Applicable Accounts”) to a maximum balance of $1,000,000 in all Applicable Accounts combined (“Eligible Balances”) during the Promotion Period. The Promotional Interest Rate is an annualized rate, calculated daily and paid monthly. This Offer can’t be combined with any other promotional rate offers for non-registered Savings Accounts. This Offer, including interest rates, may change, be extended or cancelled without notice.

NOTE: The offer does not say it's an extension of the current offer. It looks like it's a new offer and fortunately my money is being moved out of Tangerine as we speak so I will be in a position to move it back on Oct. 6.

September 26, 2023
8:07 am
COIN
Members
Forum Posts: 1109

The 5.85% is really close to their 5.95% one year GIC rate.

I'm still on the 5.5% HISA rate until (I think) end of November.

September 26, 2023
8:12 am
Dean
Members

NOTE ... That Promo mentioned in Post #6 is Not an extension of an existing one that the OP is referring to.

It's an unrelated New promo, and; " ... is only available to existing Tangerine Clients who have received this communication directly from Tangerine ... "

As the stomach turns,

Dean

September 28, 2023
1:07 am
InterestThis
Members
Forum Posts: 273

Did not get that email, was just transfering out.
If you left the money in Tang, that full week of low-interest is a loss of about $100 on 100K.
So for 100K, if you took a different 5.75% offer starting now, and did not use the Tang 5.85% offer,
- the Tang missed week costs you about $100.
- over 3 months you get about $25 from the higher Tang rate.
So by taking the Tang offer you would lose about $75, or so.

September 28, 2023
1:31 pm
GreatWhiteNorth
Members
Forum Posts: 40

Think it's 5 days. Annoying but lose close to that transferring money in & out.

September 28, 2023
2:09 pm
c
Members
Forum Posts: 12

One option: Call and ask what available offer the CSR sees for your account. They had a 5.25% for 5 months available for me while I was on the 5%. She explained I could accept that, and still activate the 5.85% on Oct 6 once the email for that offer is received. I'll find out next Friday if that works but asked that she note her recommendation for this on file, recorded name/details for my records etc.

September 29, 2023
6:56 am
Lodown
Members
Forum Posts: 196

1 Oct to 31 Dec is 92 days. If you had $100k already in the account, Tang wants you to leave your funds in the account at 1% for 5 days before giving you 5.85% [if you don't forget to activate it on 6 Oct!] for 87 days.

I did the math, on a yearly basis the effective yearly rate they are giving is 5.5864%...lower than a number of other offers.

Sneaky Tang....some junior manager got a toaster for dreaming up this con.

September 29, 2023
7:26 am
InterestThis
Members

Exactly, Tang's owners Scotiabank came up up with this little tweak to boost their profits.
The Scotia offers are so confusing, I just don't bother with them, due to multplie dates, rates, premium periods, packages rates, welcome bonus, etc.
All designed to confuse people so they make an error, and Scotia takes the win.
Which is ok too, as own Scotia stock!! What a world we live in, investing in companies that constantly think of new ways to get us. Like playing chess with yourself.

September 29, 2023
1:02 pm
Top Dogg
Members
Forum Posts: 85

Hi all,

I'm on this offer until tomorrow (Sept. 30th) and the offer has already been extended for me when the promotion was supposed to run out on June 30th. So what does everyone recommend doing? I was going to just pull out my funds today and send them over to Oaken for the time being and then see if a new Tangerine promotion pops up. If I don't get anything from Tangerine, then I'll look into other alternatives. Has anyone parked their funds in Wealthsimple for the 4% Cash Account? I was going to post the email I got from Wealthsimple on Thursday August 17th but just saw that it's not yet available for use on desktops and is only available to use on the app (I much prefer desktop use).

September 29, 2023
1:46 pm
InterestThis
Members

Wealthsimple 4% works with App, but that rate won't last.

Have you looked at Meridian 5.75% for 5 months?
https://www.highinterestsavings.ca/forum/meridian-credit-union/5-75-for-5-months-hisa-regd-or-not-if-you-dont-already-have-such-an-account/

September 29, 2023
2:24 pm
Alexandre
Members
Forum Posts: 1116

Top Dogg said
I'm on this offer until tomorrow (Sept. 30th) and the offer has already been extended for me when the promotion was supposed to run out on June 30th. So what does everyone recommend doing?  

I pulled money from Tang to EQ and will be buying their 5% 6mo GIC when funds become available, which is by the end of next week. If Tang by any chance decides to offer me new promo during first week of October, I'll still have option to move money back.

If you are OK with short term GICs, there is also 120 days 5.75% GIC special from Motive. That offer is valid till October 31, 2023.

October 1, 2023
12:32 pm
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3930

Promo ended yesterday, no word from them, I don't usually do this but I called in and they offered 4.75% for 150 days. I accepted and thanked them.

October 1, 2023
5:45 pm
COIN
Members
Forum Posts: 1109

Bill said
Promo ended yesterday, no word from them, I don't usually do this but I called in and they offered 4.75% for 150 days. I accepted and thanked them.  

Does the 4.75% apply to "old" money as well?

October 1, 2023
6:19 pm
BlueSky
Members
Forum Posts: 144

Top Dogg said

If I don't get anything from Tangerine, then I'll look into other alternatives. Has anyone parked their funds in Wealthsimple for the 4% Cash Account? I was going to post the email I got from Wealthsimple on Thursday August 17th but just saw that it's not yet available for use on desktops and is only available to use on the app (I much prefer desktop use).  

I was in the same situation. I haven't received an extension from Tang, and I don't call them for offers either. I decided to try out WS

October 1, 2023
6:59 pm
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3930

COIN, yes, applies to any money that's there.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.