5% Savings Promo Ending Sept. 30, 2023 - Any Extension Yet?? | Page 2 | Tangerine Bank | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
5% Savings Promo Ending Sept. 30, 2023 - Any Extension Yet??
October 2, 2023
10:58 am
Top Dogg
Members
Forum Posts: 85
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Thanks for the input from everyone, it is much appreciated. I transferred out all my funds yesterday on Sunday October 1, 2023 from Tangerine. So now I'll just wait and see if I get a new promo offer. If not, I will go through my options to see what best serves me. I saw that Tangerine is offering a 1 year GIC for 5.95% which is pretty good but I hate tying up my funds if I don't have to. I much prefer to be liquid as I'm sure most would agree with me on it.

TD

October 4, 2023
4:46 am
Alexandre
Members
Forum Posts: 1116

Alexandre said

Top Dogg said
I'm on this offer until tomorrow (Sept. 30th) and the offer has already been extended for me when the promotion was supposed to run out on June 30th. So what does everyone recommend doing?  

I pulled money from Tang to EQ and will be buying their 5% 6mo GIC when funds become available, which is by the end of next week. If Tang by any chance decides to offer me new promo during first week of October, I'll still have option to move money back.

I've got Tangerine promo offer! Nothing in email, but logged to account and it i there in insights.
It is 6% for new money as of October. https://www.highinterestsavings.ca/forum/tangerine-bank/its-simple-rewarding-to-save-earn-6-00-interest-until-february-29-2024/

Will be moving money from EQ back to Tangerine as soon as hold is off. I am so glad I emptied my Tangerine Savings account before my previous 5% promo ended on September 30th.

October 4, 2023
5:46 am
mordko
Members
Forum Posts: 836

Same here. Got the 6% promo till end of Feb. Will be moving money from Meridian. No real gain (getting 5.75% at Meridian) but Tang is more convenient.

October 4, 2023
12:58 pm
Top Dogg
Members

Thanks for the heads up guys, glad you got something. I haven't received anything yet. Like I mentioned up above, I moved my funds out from Tangerine on Sunday October 1, 2023. I'll keep waiting, hopefully something will pop up today.

I left a little bit of money in my Tangerine Chequing Account (under $50). Should I pull that money out as well?

October 4, 2023
1:01 pm
Dean
Valhalla Mountains, British Columbia
Members
Forum Posts: 1914

No ⬆ ... don't bother, Top Dogg

That special rate does Not apply to chequing accounts.

Cheers,

Dean

sf-cool " Live Long, Healthy ... And Prosper! " sf-cool

October 4, 2023
1:07 pm
Top Dogg
Members

Dean said

No ⬆ ... don't bother, Top Dogg

That special rate does Not apply to chequing accounts.

Cheers,

Dean

Ok Thanks for clarifying that for me Dean.

October 4, 2023
2:50 pm
InterestThis
Members
Forum Posts: 273

That's right, so far the Tang chequing account has not been part of these promos. So its best to have GIC's mature to the chequing account, and also can just move money into chequing before certain key dates.

October 4, 2023
2:55 pm
Vatox
Members
Forum Posts: 1218

I got the 6% promo til February from an email. That rocks!

October 4, 2023
3:22 pm
Vatox
Members
Forum Posts: 1218

I just checked my email, now, so anyone waiting for the offer check both your email and Tang insights today!

EDIT: The email was 1:54 Pacific.

October 4, 2023
3:26 pm
zgic
Members
Forum Posts: 113

Got the 6% promo till end of Feb from tang. Looks like too many people are trying to set up the promos. Tang is hanging

October 4, 2023
4:36 pm
Alexandre
Members

InterestThis said
That's right, so far the Tang chequing account has not been part of these promos. So its best to have GIC's mature to the chequing account, and also can just move money into chequing before certain key dates.  

There was that one time, as I recall, when Tangerine included chequing account in promo eligibility calculations, which means they may do it again.

October 4, 2023
9:04 pm
Top Dogg
Members

InterestThis said
Wealthsimple 4% works with App, but that rate won't last.

Have you looked at Meridian 5.75% for 5 months?
https://www.highinterestsavings.ca/forum/meridian-credit-union/5-75-for-5-months-hisa-regd-or-not-if-you-dont-already-have-such-an-account/  

Thanks for the reply. Are they are fees, etc. with Meridian? I don't see Meridian listed on the 'HISA Charts' page.

October 5, 2023
12:33 pm
InterestThis
Members

Top Dogg said

Thanks for the reply. Are they are fees, etc. with Meridian? I don't see Meridian listed on the 'HISA Charts' page.  

No fees with this Meridian promo, that I am aware of. Its just a 5 month promo, then after that is back to lower interest, that is why its not on the HISA page. But I would read the thread about Meridian first to check out all the angles.

October 6, 2023
1:52 pm
topgoat
Members
Forum Posts: 11

I initially got the 5% promo until June 30, 2023, then it was extended to September 30, 2023 (all money included). I then got an email saying that if I keep my money were it is, I will get 5.85% starting October 6 to December 31, 2023. Although I lost high interest from October 1 to 5, today, when I logged in, I did get an invitation to activate the new offer (on all money) at 5.85% until December 31, 2023. However, I see other people got a new 6% offer up to February 28, 2024 on new money. My question is ... Did those who had a 5% promo ending September 30, 2023 but transferred out from Tangerine all their money before October 3, get the 6% promo to February 28, 2024 on "new" money?
If yes, I guess I learned my lesson that it does NOT pay to be loyal to Tangerine :-(...
Thank you!

October 6, 2023
2:31 pm
mordko
Members
Forum Posts: 836

Yes.

October 6, 2023
4:27 pm
suburbs4life
Members
Forum Posts: 163

Topgoat- in short YES. We had the same offer until Sept 30th and moved all of our money out then got the 6% offer October 4th… we never got a preemptive offer this time. it sounds you were given something different. We got the offer on October 4th after all money was moved out prior to sept 30th.

October 6, 2023
5:04 pm
InterestThis
Members

yep

October 7, 2023
7:51 am
Wrayzor
GTA
Members
Forum Posts: 77

Topgoat - yes for me, as well. As for loyalty, when a business extends better offers to new customers than to existing ones (plenty of examples, not just FIs) they don't deserve loyalty IMO.

October 7, 2023
8:15 am
Alexandre
Members

Loyalty, what loyalty? My money follows laws of physics: it flows to where interest rate is higher.

October 7, 2023
9:07 am
InterestThis
Members

Tangerine is owned by Scotiabank, and their loyalty is to the Scotiabank shareholders, that is, we who own lots of banking shares and ETF's!

(that is after the CEO gets his $8.5-million in variable compensation, bonuses and stock awards)

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.