HSBC High Interest Savings Bonus Rate of up to 6.35% till January 12, 2024 | Page 2 | HSBC | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
HSBC High Interest Savings Bonus Rate of up to 6.35% till January 12, 2024
October 17, 2023
11:09 am
kesa
Members
Forum Posts: 202
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

HermanH said
I have not had any problem moving large amounts to or from HSBC.  

How? TIA

October 17, 2023
11:33 am
HermanH
Members
Forum Posts: 1166

I pushed/pulled from Tang. HSBC has no online eTransfer capability.

October 17, 2023
11:39 am
InterestThis
Members
Forum Posts: 273

To link to Tangerine, be sure to use the numbers from the HSBC void blank cheque.
https://www.highinterestsavings.ca/forum/hsbc/hrsa-new-deposit-promo-tier1-4-25-tier2-4-75/page-6/#p80186

October 17, 2023
11:53 am
InterestThis
Members

Am going to take advantage of this 6.35%. There are too many offers at the moment!

October 17, 2023
12:16 pm
kesa
Members
Forum Posts: 202

Thank you nice people!

October 17, 2023
12:53 pm
The Rock
Members
Forum Posts: 100

HermanH said
I pushed/pulled from Tang. HSBC has no online eTransfer capability.  

No online etransfer makes it very cumbersome. I would need to use Tangerine to pull from CIBC and then push from Tangerine to HSBC. Ugh! Given push/pull daily limits, it could take some time to move around large sums.

October 17, 2023
1:14 pm
InterestThis
Members

You can Interac e-transfer into HSBC for small amounts.

October 18, 2023
2:26 pm
Goldtooth
Members
Forum Posts: 1

Can you move money to HSBC by writing a check from your other bank?

October 18, 2023
4:30 pm
InterestThis
Members

Goldtooth said
Can you move money to HSBC by writing a check from your other bank?  

Why not, they have an app, ATM's, branches, etc.

October 18, 2023
4:34 pm
ponyFlower
Members
Forum Posts: 7

Today, I registered for a savings account and was all set to transfer funds to HSBC. However, I had some additional inquiries, so I decided to reach out to HSBC's customer service. I was particularly interested in whether it was possible to view the promotional interest rate on the dashboard, but I was informed that this was not an option. I also inquired about the possibility of linking bank accounts, only to discover that such functionality wasn't available.

Additionally, I sought information on the process for transferring a substantial sum, such as 100k, from my HSBC savings account to another Canadian bank account. Unfortunately, the response I received was quite ambiguous, with the focus being on bill payments and transfer fees associated with debit card usage.

Ultimately, I learned that the sole method for transferring more than 10k per week involved wire transfers, incurring a cost of at least 60 CAD per transfer. The only fee-free method for transferring funds out is through the use of Interac, with daily and weekly limits set at 7k and 10k, respectively.

Faced with these limitations, I ultimately decided to close my account once again.

You can find the complete list of transferring out fees in the PDF document on page 13 of 21 at this URL:

https://www.hsbc.ca/content/dam/hsbc/ca/global/hsbc-personal-service-charges-statement-of-disclosure-en.pdf

October 18, 2023
5:48 pm
mordko
Members
Forum Posts: 835

ponyFlower said
Today, I registered for a savings account and was all set to transfer funds to HSBC. However, I had some additional inquiries, so I decided to reach out to HSBC's customer service. I was particularly interested in whether it was possible to view the promotional interest rate on the dashboard, but I was informed that this was not an option. I also inquired about the possibility of linking bank accounts, only to discover that such functionality wasn't available.

Additionally, I sought information on the process for transferring a substantial sum, such as 100k, from my HSBC savings account to another Canadian bank account. Unfortunately, the response I received was quite ambiguous, with the focus being on bill payments and transfer fees associated with debit card usage.

Ultimately, I learned that the sole method for transferring more than 10k per week involved wire transfers, incurring a cost of at least 60 CAD per transfer. The only fee-free method for transferring funds out is through the use of Interac, with daily and weekly limits set at 7k and 10k, respectively.

Faced with these limitations, I ultimately decided to close my account once again.

You can find the complete list of transferring out fees in the PDF document on page 13 of 21 at this URL:

https://www.hsbc.ca/content/dam/hsbc/ca/global/hsbc-personal-service-charges-statement-of-disclosure-en.pdf  

I tend to transfer large amounts by writing a cheque to myself. Cheques come free with a Premier chequing account.

October 18, 2023
8:09 pm
co
Members
Forum Posts: 71

mordko said

I tend to transfer large amounts by writing a cheque to myself. Cheques come free with a Premier chequing account.  

Agree. As much as I hate writing cheques, some of you might benefit from knowing that writing cheque to yourself and then doing mobile deposit is often the most convenient method of moving money (or for what it's worth, a bank draft), especially when dealing with big 5/6/7 banks.

October 18, 2023
8:14 pm
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members
Forum Posts: 4243

Bear in mind RBC's acquisition of HSBC Canada's assets is likely to conclude between November 1, 2023, and January 31, 2024, so it's quite possible they may terminate this offer early, as the T&C of the offer allow them to do. sf-cool

October 18, 2023
9:36 pm
ponyFlower
Members
Forum Posts: 7

co said

Agree. As much as I hate writing cheques, some of you might benefit from knowing that writing cheque to yourself and then doing mobile deposit is often the most convenient method of moving money (or for what it's worth, a bank draft), especially when dealing with big 5/6/7 banks.  

Having lived in Europe for several years, it's astonishing that we're still embroiled in this paper-based madness in 2023.

October 18, 2023
11:10 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9256
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

One of these days the Europeans and others are going to regret their foolishness. Computers are eminently disruptible, and have proven it many times. We probably ain't seen nothin' yet.

I happily keep print copies of all statements and any other documents I may have further need for, and I maintain chequing accounts wherever possible, preferably free ones.

In my view, "backing things up" doesn't just mean another computer (although that's a good idea); it means an extra medium.

That aside, i have noticed a trend recently towards making it increasingly difficult to transfer large amounts from/to accounts, all in the name of "security".
Yesterday spouse made an old-fashioned trip to DUCA branch, using own two feet, to deposit a cheque. It was comforting to see that it still exists in 3 dimensions, with staff and customers. The cheque went directly into the 6.25% account, and they even provided a receipt. No fiddling with an app, no waiting on the phone etc. Quick and easy. The fresh air was free.

October 18, 2023
11:14 pm
HermanH
Members
Forum Posts: 1166

Loonie said
That aside, i have noticed a trend recently towards making it increasingly difficult to transfer large amounts from/to accounts, all in the name of "security".

Just tried to do a large Visa purchase and was immediately locked out by the algorithm , because it was way more money than I normally spend. The solution was, of course, to force me to call and wait over 3 hours on phone before someone answered in order to unlock my card. The additional security is not the problem. The problem is their refusal to properly staff the office for all those times when the AI screws up.

October 19, 2023
4:38 am
The Rock
Members

mordko said

Is there a check amount limit? Also, wouldn't you be able to link your Tangerine account initiated through Tangerine, and then pull the money into your Tangerine account?

October 19, 2023
5:09 am
The Rock
Members

HermanH said
I have not had any problem moving large amounts to or from HSBC.  

How did you achieve this? By check? Electronically?

October 19, 2023
6:24 am
mordko
Members
Forum Posts: 835

The Rock said

Is there a check amount limit? Also, wouldn't you be able to link your Tangerine account initiated through Tangerine, and then pull the money into your Tangerine account?  

Yes, you can pull from Tangerine. I do. Mobile cheque deposits do have a limit. $100K. But you can use several.

October 19, 2023
6:57 am
COIN
Members
Forum Posts: 1109

"In my view, "backing things up" doesn't just mean another computer (although that's a good idea); it means an extra medium."

I back up critical info using a computer that is never connected to the Internet. My only concern is that the harddrive might "blow up" one day and I lose the stored data.

Please write your comments in the forum.