HSBC High Interest Savings Bonus Rate of up to 6.35% till January 12, 2024 | Page 8 | HSBC | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
HSBC High Interest Savings Bonus Rate of up to 6.35% till January 12, 2024
January 16, 2024
6:52 pm
InterestThis
Members
Forum Posts: 272
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
141sp_Permalink sp_Print

Did everyone's Jan bonus interest add up correctly? It seems a bit lower than it should be.

January 16, 2024
9:53 pm
HermanH
Members
Forum Posts: 1164

My bonus is accurate to the penny.

My normal 1.85% interest also appeared correctly.

March 7, 2024
5:30 pm
InterestThis
Members
143sp_Permalink sp_Print

HSBC what an appalling bank.
A close friend moved last month, and I helped them update their address on the HSBC website using the security device, etc.
But turns out HSBC had sent RBC everyone's details 2 months ago, so RBC only got their old address. So they have been sending the new card, statements, and personal details to the person's old address, which is very risky, as that kind of mail just ends up in the lobby. This could lead to an ID theft attempt, etc.

Do not trust HSBC with any critical details as they leave the market. Would not leave a cent in it.

March 7, 2024
7:08 pm
mordko
Members
Forum Posts: 826

I wouldn’t be too sure which of the two parties involved made this error.

I’ve been with HSBC (and predecessors) since 1994. Excellent experience. Never an issue.

Been with RBC since December 2023. Business account. Ludicrously incompetent.

For example, I attended an appointment so that ID and everything was provided in person. The RBC lady had a bit of trouble setting everything up but eventually it worked. Or so she said. Gave a card, helped to log in. All worked.

Except, when the payment was made, RBC rejected it. Because “my identity wasn’t verified so the account wasn’t operational.” After a phone call and 20 minutes of chatting, they corrected the set up and payments started going through. But I still got charged for the failed transfer.

And then they sent me two bank cards in my name as part of the transfer from HSBC. Another phone call to figure out which account I should use. “That never happened before”. just one of several glitches, and the move hasnt even gone through yet.

No way I am staying with RBC. Truly awful. Worse than civil service.

March 8, 2024
7:59 am
InterestThis
Members
145sp_Permalink sp_Print

Fair enough, RBC could have demanded the info that early, with no way of updating details.
I have still not seen any details about which kind of account its being switched to. Also the RBC accounts look like rubbish.
https://www.rbcroyalbank.com/accounts/savings-accounts.html

Regardless its best to pull everything from the accounts.
RBC is a good investment, but not not for this.
Should just cancel the account, who needs it?

March 8, 2024
8:07 am
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members
Forum Posts: 2889
146sp_Permalink sp_Print

InterestThis said
But turns out HSBC had sent RBC everyone's details 2 months ago, so RBC only got their old address. So they have been sending the new card, statements, and personal details to the person's old address, which is very risky, as that kind of mail just ends up in the lobby. This could lead to an ID theft attempt, etc.   

Not germane to HSBC specifically but IF your friend had done the proper thing and paid for a Canada Post change of address (and thus a re-direct to new address) for a period of time, e.g. 6-12 months, no CP mail would end up at the old address in the first place.

March 8, 2024
8:15 am
InterestThis
Members

apparently this is the acct you get, 1 wtd month
RBC High Interest eSavings account
https://www.rbcroyalbank.com/investments/psi/hisa.html

https://www.rbcroyalbank.com/accounts/e-savings.html

March 8, 2024
8:38 am
InterestThis
Members

Actually, every other bank changed the address instantly on their website so paying Canada Post $63 - $100 for an address change is not worth it anymore. It used to be a more reasonable cost, but these days most people don't receive much mail.

I just cancelled the HSBC account, as the RBC account is not a good one. And if a person opened their own new RBC HISA account they would get 3 months at 5.5%, but with this transition you get jack-squat.

March 8, 2024
9:20 am
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members
Forum Posts: 2889
149sp_Permalink sp_Print

InterestThis said
Actually, every other bank changed the address instantly on their website so paying Canada Post $63 - $100 for an address change is not worth it anymore. It used to be a more reasonable cost, but these days most people don't receive much mail.  

Perfect example of being 'penny wise and pound foolish'. There are almost always situations where a change of address can be missed, e.g. professional license renewal, auto registration, etc. Granted I will agree there is much less of it these days when most everything is digital.

I moved more than a dozen times in my career and was always glad to pay for CP's change of address forwarding service. There was almost always an instance or two of something important that got missed in the transition.

March 9, 2024
2:55 pm
RetirEd
Members
Forum Posts: 1015
150sp_Permalink sp_Print

I tried to get information on the transfer-in accounts on the RBC links posted by InterestThis. It seems there's no way to set any of the cookie settings on their site at all.

They have several "info" links and explaination links, none of which allow cookies to be actually managed. Most of them loop back to the original "accept all cookies" box, where none of the options can be reached at all!

Has anyone figured out a route to their cookie settings? I can find lists of cookies but no way to toggle them off. I note that one of the notes says that even with selectable cookies disabled, they will continue to gather the information and use it for analytics and targeting.

Schmucks.

RetirEd

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.