Duca EMPA Deposit Rate Increase! 3.25% effective Monday, July 18, 2022 | Page 4 | DUCA Credit Union | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Duca EMPA Deposit Rate Increase! 3.25% effective Monday, July 18, 2022
November 22, 2022
7:17 am
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9238
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

canadian.100 said
So I gather the present 3.25% Promotion is going to end very shortly and they are offering you the 4.75% Term but just to March 31 and after that you are back to 1% on the HISA?  

Yes, it looks like you can't go back to Park at 3.25,but it doesn't say what happens to your Park money if you DON'T buy this GIC.

I think it's very possible the 3.25 deal will end Dec 31 but ultimately it will depend on what their goal is for retaining money deposited there and whether that goal has been met.

I think it's likely that those who buy this GIC will be given another, longer term, GIC offer when this one ends as this is a very short term and they still won't want to let all that money go elsewhere when it ends.

November 22, 2022
7:25 am
Loonie
Members

I didn't receive the offer either, although I have significant funds in Park and the account is very active.

November 22, 2022
7:55 am
smayer97
Members
Forum Posts: 778

COIN said

savemoresaveoften said
I did not receive this email even tho I do have an earn more park account (I did clean it out last month for the obvious reason).

I think only clients who had $60,000 or more got the email.  

Yes, as per the title of the email, it is an exclusive offer:
"EXCLUSIVE OFFER: For Members in current Earn More Promotion Account. "

There is no mention of an amount, so not sure how to confirm the threshold.

November 22, 2022
9:14 am
James
Members
Forum Posts: 188

Loonie said
I didn't receive the offer either, although I have significant funds in Park and the account is very active.  

Same here. No offers.

November 23, 2022
11:10 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2866

Talked to DUCA customer rep and she said I can bring new money over and she can put it into the Mar31 4.5% GIC. But she also said its by invitation only. I did mention I did not rec the email invite, and asked if I qualify. She says YES and no minimum req. If anything she does not give me 100% confidence what she said is indeed 100% correct.
Bottom line, I think anyone that brings new money in or already have money in the PARK account can just call them to set it up.

Personally 4.5% sounds ok to lock in for 4 months, but not a must have in my case.

November 23, 2022
12:34 pm
mebe
Members
Forum Posts: 24

I got the Duca 4.75% GIC offer with less than $10 in the Earn More parked account.
So why did I get the offer? I assume it's because I pulled several thousands from that Duca account into Tangerine several weeks before to get that same offer that I had with Tangerine.
Duca should have offered me more than 4.75% to get its money back. C'mon man!
If any of you have a Tangerine account (even with a low % rate), simply pull $5 from Duca into Tangerine. If that doesn't trigger an email invite, just call them and tell them you'll move your current Tangerine funds if they offer you 4.95% or higher.

November 23, 2022
1:23 pm
Loonie
Members

Spouse pulled a chunk out of DUCA Park in the summer but didn't get the promo email. Spouse has continued to add money to DUCA Park since then from time to time.

November 23, 2022
2:03 pm
COIN
Members
Forum Posts: 1108

Heard that DUCA is currently cash rich. Loan demand is down. Deposits are up. True? False?

November 23, 2022
2:37 pm
HermanH
Members
Forum Posts: 1161
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

They are aggressively soliciting 2-5yr GIC with 5.4% from brokers
Don't know if that supports or disproves your position.

November 23, 2022
5:51 pm
COIN
Members

HermanH said
They are aggressively soliciting 2-5yr GIC with 5.4% from brokers
Don't know if that supports or disproves your position.  

It's weird because their own branch(es) are offering less than 5.4%

November 24, 2022
8:05 am
savemoresaveoften
Members

COIN said

It's weird because their own branch(es) are offering less than 5.4%  

Its beyond weird, its absurd. Never makes sense to me why they are paying almost an extra 1% away thru brokers, as oppose to just do it with their own members direct. If they are pricing in their funding cost at X, that X should go to its own members...

November 24, 2022
10:10 am
canadian.100
Members
Forum Posts: 942

I am not so sure it is beyond weird or absurd. The strategy allows DUCA to pull in more money from more sources - could be that DUCA members have more limited funds or are not buying enough DUCA GICs. DUCA members may not be as affluent as the "outside" sources who will patronize GIC brokers for larger amounts.
DUCA does save on admin costs when the GIC buyers deal with the broker and not limited DUCA staff.

November 24, 2022
10:42 am
COIN
Members

Seems to me DUCA is "cannibalizing" their deposit business.

November 24, 2022
11:02 am
HermanH
Members
Forum Posts: 1161
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

savemoresaveoften said Its beyond weird, its absurd. Never makes sense to me why they are paying almost an extra 1% away thru brokers, as oppose to just do it with their own members direct. If they are pricing in their funding cost at X, that X should go to its own members...  

It does make some sense if DUCA wants flexibility and responsiveness in management of the funds accumulated. If DUCA only wants or needs $XXX, then the broker can stop offering them immediately, once the goal has been reached. If they make a promotional offer, then they might feel obligated to continue soliciting unwanted/unneeded funds throughout the term of the offer.

I would like for DUCA to at least match the rate offered by brokers, but can understand that brokers might specifically disallow that practice in their distribution contract. Otherwise, it might not be worth their while to agree to sell the GICs for DUCA.

November 24, 2022
11:26 am
savemoresaveoften
Members

HermanH said

It does make some sense if DUCA wants flexibility and responsiveness in management of the funds accumulated. If DUCA only wants or needs $XXX, then the broker can stop offering them immediately, once the goal has been reached. If they make a promotional offer, then they might feel obligated to continue soliciting unwanted/unneeded funds throughout the term of the offer.

I would like for DUCA to at least match the rate offered by brokers, but can understand that brokers might specifically disallow that practice in their distribution contract. Otherwise, it might not be worth their while to agree to sell the GICs for DUCA.  

Its all true except a 1% spread is a huge premium to pay for the flexibility in my mind, at the expense of all the members, both the borrowers and the savers.

Its old school system of funding to say the least, and CUs are like 10 years behind when it comes to their treasury management...

On another note, they do let me make a new deposit and then put it into the 4.75% Mar31 GIC. Keep in mind the M2M transfer has a 1 week hold, the money can only sit in the Park account until hold is over to "purchase" the GIC.

February 8, 2023
9:17 am
Bacon2126
Members
Forum Posts: 1

Up to 4.75% now for the EMPA

February 8, 2023
9:25 am
MG
Members
Forum Posts: 263

Bacon2126 said

New money only and only until April 30th. I also laughed when they say there are no withdrawal limits. There actually are if you try to push the funds from DUCA. The limit is $50K per withdrawal per day and, even if you call in, they will not do more. You have to wait 25 hours (24 hours plus one hour) to do your next push out.

February 8, 2023
9:47 am
cgouimet
Members
Forum Posts: 1473

Bacon2126 said

We're on 5% at TNG thru Apr 30. If DUCA extend this past Apr 30 like they did with their 3.25% promo then I might move our funds their then...

CGO
February 8, 2023
9:55 am
savemoresaveoften
Members

Bacon2126 said

Some has that money in the DUCA 4.75% lock in till end of Mar. Interesting timing they are offering a EMPA 4.75% now.

February 8, 2023
10:13 am
COIN
Members

I started a new thread rather than keep adding on to a very old thread.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.