Targeted Promotion, July 4 2018 | Page 2 | Tangerine Bank | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Targeted Promotion, July 4 2018
July 12, 2018
8:05 pm
Johnny CASH
Members
Forum Posts: 9
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Bill,

I’m aware of the impact of rates on preferred shares. The attractive thing about this ETF is that the preferred shares are equally divided into a 1-5 year ladder much like a 5 year GIC ladder so in theory each year some lower rate preferreds are expiring and being replaced with higher rate ones in a rising rate environment. The 52 week price range has been between 11.31 and 11.97 so there’s a little price risk but overall I believe this is a very conservative investment and MoneySense rates this as one of their top fixed income ETFs. Just getting so tired of this interest rate promo game that I’m looking for alternatives without having to lock into GICs.

Love it that your buddy has one of those Johnny Cash cardboard cutouts.

JC

July 12, 2018
11:23 pm
semi-retired
Members
Forum Posts: 232

Johnny CASH said
Bill,

I’m aware of the impact of rates on preferred shares. The attractive thing about this ETF is that the preferred shares are equally divided into a 1-5 year ladder much like a 5 year GIC ladder so in theory each year some lower rate preferreds are expiring and being replaced with higher rate ones in a rising rate environment. The 52 week price range has been between 11.31 and 11.97 so there’s a little price risk but overall I believe this is a very conservative investment and MoneySense rates this as one of their top fixed income ETFs. Just getting so tired of this interest rate promo game that I’m looking for alternatives without having to lock into GICs.

Love it that your buddy has one of those Johnny Cash cardboard cutouts.

JC  

Morningstar's rating for this ETF is only 1 star out of 5 for what it's worth.Everyone has a different opinion.Who do you believe ??

July 13, 2018
5:15 pm
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6766

semi-retired said

Morningstar's rating for this ETF is only 1 star out of 5 for what it's worth.Everyone has a different opinion.Who do you believe ??

According to the graphs in MorningStar: BMO Laddered Preferred Share ETF (ZPR), performance has been poor. It has underperformed both its fund category and its category's index.

$10,000 invested in it when it started in 2012 has become only $10,047. Unit price started at $15 in November 2012. Now, it is trading around $11.69. Dividends barely kept up with the losses in value. sf-frown

It is a misunderstanding that 20% of preferred shares somehow mature each year and the ETF gets the original investment back. These are not bonds. What actually happens is that the payout of 20% of the preferred shares reset each year according to their given formula.

Issuers can, but are not obligated to, redeem the shares on reset date. They won't if the shares reset to a higher yield that's still lower than what newly issued rate-reset preferreds yield.

July 25, 2018
11:05 am
Londonguy
Members
Forum Posts: 535
No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.