Tangerine new customer promo: Spring 2018 | Page 2 | Tangerine Bank | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Tangerine new customer promo: Spring 2018
June 4, 2018
11:58 am
Londonguy
Members
Forum Posts: 535
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
June 4, 2018
12:55 pm
Saver-Mom
Members
Forum Posts: 311

Ya, that’s dirty pool

July 13, 2018
7:37 pm
fionag11
Members
Forum Posts: 26

My husband is planning to open a Tangerine chequing account. Does anyone want to refer him with an "Orange Key"? (I'm not sure what you need to do exactly)

July 13, 2018
8:33 pm
MG
Members
Forum Posts: 263

Hi fionag11,

I sent you a PM with my orange key. Many thanks!

July 14, 2018
1:50 pm
phrank
Members
Forum Posts: 312

Londonguy said
Beware the definition of "new customer"

https://www.highinterestsavings.ca/forum/tangerine-bank/2-5-promotion-rate-extension-to-nov-30-being-rolled-out-now/page-3/#p31690  

FYI that like everything else these days, YMMV.

We were clients of them 5 years ago, but I thought it couldn't hurt to try because this promo would be a good pay off for us right now. Applied for an account, got the new account bonus, got the referral bonus for referring a friend and got the 2.75% promo for 6 months as a new client.

I talked the a CSR when setting up a joint account and confirmed with them that we both got the 2.75%, 6 month promo.

I had read that if you are not seen as a new client, you won't be able to register to open an account when you enter your SIN. That didn't happen to either of us, but I had to go to the post office to confirm my identity for some reason.

July 14, 2018
2:06 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9238

Well done, voodoo!
Tang used to claim that anyone who'd ever had an account with ING could not be a "new customer". That goes back 20 years!

Perhaps they updated their computers and lost the "old" names. Or else they've become more hungry for our money.sf-laugh

Suggest you "save" the details of your offer in case it gets rescinded / vanishes when their computer reboots or whatever.

July 14, 2018
2:18 pm
phrank
Members
Forum Posts: 312

Thank you Loonie, yes. Screen shots have been saved! That's a great tip.

I had to post about it in the hopes someone else could benefit who thought they were out of luck, as I did.

July 14, 2018
3:23 pm
moneyhelp
Members
Forum Posts: 273

Loonie said
Suggest you "save" the details of your offer in case it gets rescinded / vanishes when their computer reboots or whatever.  

haha, must be a PC!

July 14, 2018
3:26 pm
moneyhelp
Members
Forum Posts: 273

voodoo22 said
Thank you Loonie, yes. Screen shots have been saved! That's a great tip.

I would actually advise to save the chat session if possible, as that tends to preserve any links they may provide during the chat; as well, it will have the time stamp metadata embedded that's not editable, adding clout to its legitimacy for any possible future discrepancy.

I always do this.

July 14, 2018
5:35 pm
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6750

Loonie said

Tang used to claim that anyone who'd ever had an account with ING could not be a "new customer". That goes back 20 years!

Perhaps they updated their computers and lost the "old" names. Or else they've become more hungry for our money.sf-laugh

According to the fine print of the new client offer, one is a new client if the creation date on one's Client Number is between June 1, 2018 and October 31, 2018:

1. The Tangerine Bank (the "Bank") New Client Interest Rate Offer of 2.75% (the "Offer") is available to new Tangerine Clients:

a. whose “Client Number” (as defined below) with the Bank was created between June 1, 2018 and October 31, 2018; and

b. who open an Applicable Account (as defined below) within 90 days of the date their Client Number was created ("Eligible Clients").

A Client’s Client Number is created when he/she submits his/her personal information (including, but not limited to, name, mailing address and email address) to the Bank.

2. The Offer is available to …

Londonguy did not qualify as he had a Client Number created before June 1, back when he got his still-active Tangerine MasterCard.

Tangerine would still have the info about those ING Direct customers from 20 years ago if the customers still have an active account now. I'm not sure Tangerine would still for those who had closed their accounts like 10 years ago. I think such people, opening an account now, would have a new Client Number created and would technically be a "new client". sf-laugh

July 14, 2018
6:38 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9238

Perhaps these are new rules.

It doesn't affect me personally, so I can't verify, but I recall others running into this problem in the past.

Moral of the story: Don't get a Tangerine credit card if you want to qualify for the new client offers?sf-wink
The real challenge may be over how to make your client number go away.

July 15, 2018
9:09 am
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6750

Loonie said

Moral of the story: Don't get a Tangerine credit card if you want to qualify for the new client offers?sf-wink
The real challenge may be over how to make your client number go away.

I agree. Not really a new Tangerine client when one already has a client number as a result of having a Tangerine MasterCard, a Tangerine Mortgage, or Tangerine mutual funds.

As well, there is a limit on how new a client one is. The current new client 2¾% interest offer requires the new client to open the applicable account and take advantage of the offer within 90 days of the Client Number being created.

voodoo22 wrote that they were clients about five years ago. Maybe Tangerine ordinarily purges client info about five years after one's last product with them is closed.

July 25, 2018
10:36 am
Londonguy
Members
Forum Posts: 535

Yet another update on this topic FWIW

After being denied previous promos on the basis I was not a new client, in yesterday's snail mail I received an invite for Tangerine's latest promo of 2.50% on new money until March 31, 2019, so this morning I called them with the intention of opening a savings account to make use of it.

However, when I called in I discovered that I already have a savings account with them going back to early 2009 that has had a $0.01 balance in it since 2010 with no activity beyond then. You'd think that they would have purged the record under those circumstances but I guess not, and in this case it certainly saved me having to re-do any paperwork.

Anyway, I had the rep activate my promo status over the phone and also initiated a pull out of a Big Five while I had him on the line -- it's all good now

July 25, 2018
3:28 pm
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3911

I've had a TFSA with Tangerine with a few cents in it for about 5 years now, still active from what I can see.

July 25, 2018
8:56 pm
Joe
Banned
Forum Posts: 207

Londonguy said
Yet another update on this topic FWIW

After being denied previous promos on the basis I was not a new client, in yesterday's snail mail I received an invite for Tangerine's latest promo of 2.50% on new money until March 31, 2019, so this morning I called them with the intention of opening a savings account to make use of it.

However, when I called in I discovered that I already have a savings account with them going back to early 2009 that has had a $0.01 balance in it since 2010 with no activity beyond then. You'd think that they would have purged the record under those circumstances but I guess not, and in this case it certainly saved me having to re-do any paperwork.

Anyway, I had the rep activate my promo status over the phone and also initiated a pull out of a Big Five while I had him on the line -- it's all good now  

Winning!!!!!sf-cool

Tangerine....Canada's best bank. LBC.............Canada's 2nd best bank.
Hubert.....worst bank in Canada.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.