Targeted offer - new money 1.6% till March 31, 2022 | Page 3 | Tangerine Bank | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Targeted offer - new money 1.6% till March 31, 2022
December 12, 2021
3:02 pm
HermanH
Members
Forum Posts: 1159
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

suburbs4life said
I have a joint account with my wife. Who gets the T5 and pays tax on it? Can it be the lower income earner?

I also have joint accounts at Tang and I am certain that the individual who creates the account has the income reported on their personal T5 statement. The second party who is invited to join the account (and make it into a joint account) does not have their name on the T5 statement.

I do not know if Tang allows the interest to be split and reported separately.

December 12, 2021
3:44 pm
GR
Members
Forum Posts: 632

HermanH said

suburbs4life said
I have a joint account with my wife. Who gets the T5 and pays tax on it? Can it be the lower income earner?

I also have joint accounts at Tang and I am certain that the individual who creates the account has the income reported on their personal T5 statement. The second party who is invited to join the account (and make it into a joint account) does not have their name on the T5 statement.

I do not know if Tang allows the interest to be split and reported separately.  

Normally, the T5 for joint accounts is issued with both names on it, using the S.I.N. of the primary person. For income tax reporting, the recipients are expected to split the total interest income in proportion to which they contributed to the deposits or GICs.

December 12, 2021
3:53 pm
HermanH
Members

I think that you are more precise and correct. It just turns out that I always report the entire sum. sf-smile

December 12, 2021
5:26 pm
Alexandre
Members
Forum Posts: 1100

suburbs4life said
Thanks for your thoughts Herman and Alexandre.

I have joint account with lower income earner. I like my tax life simple: I always claim 100% of interest income from that account on my tax return.

Formally speaking, you must split, but if I am ever audited I'll have a joy of having CRA refund some of my taxes paid. That thought alone is worth few dollars I might be overpaying in taxes.

December 12, 2021
6:56 pm
suburbs4life
Members
Forum Posts: 161

Thank you all. I was looking for a more tax efficient approach though.

December 12, 2021
7:49 pm
Kidd
Banned
Forum Posts: 840

suburbs4life said
Thank you all. I was looking for a more tax efficient approach though.  

You could do what our honest politicians do... move your money off shore.

December 13, 2021
6:13 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3911

When you open a joint account make the person who you want to be reporting the income as the primary, then T5 SIN matches who's reporting the income and that makes CRA computer happy (despite what the Act says about reporting the income based on funding the account). And keeping The Machine happy trumps all these days!

December 13, 2021
7:12 am
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9235
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

Bill said
When you open a joint account make the person who you want to be reporting the income as the primary, then T5 SIN matches who's reporting the income and that makes CRA computer happy (despite what the Act says about reporting the income based on funding the account). And keeping The Machine happy trumps all these days!  

That's good advice.
If your account isn't set up properly, maybe open a new one.

December 13, 2021
10:23 am
HermanH
Members

Bill said

Very true. Historically, we split reporting the T5 interest, but CRA had fits and caused us a great deal of grief explaining it to them. It just worked out more smoothly to have me declared the primary and report it all on my return.

December 13, 2021
5:19 pm
Winnie
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 463

I like simplicity and for that very reason only the primary always report it all. Over 40 years and CRA looks quite happy so far, nobody ever asked us any questions.

December 13, 2021
5:23 pm
suburbs4life
Members
Forum Posts: 161

Kidd said

You could do what our honest politicians do... move your money off shore.  

I wish I could laugh more at this but it’s so very true which is depressing.

Thanks for thoughts everyone. I suspect it was opened through me which is a Tax problem lol. However, now I have been enlightened.

December 13, 2021
6:51 pm
agit
Members
Forum Posts: 185

I've always use the joint account (for dico\cdic) myself as primary and always reported the income on my tax return. I was not offered the last Tang 2% so now i am using a joint account with a family member who is the primary. i will be reporting the income hopefully will not create a problem with CRA, or will it? thanks

December 13, 2021
8:35 pm
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3911

It could, family member's SIN will be on the T5 but family member's return will lack that income, the two won't match.

December 15, 2021
7:10 am
hwyc
GTA
Members
Forum Posts: 1165

Isn't it true their joint allow up to 4 people?

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.