Targeted offer - 5% on new money till June 30, 2023 (extended to September 30) | Page 6 | Tangerine Bank | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Targeted offer - 5% on new money till June 30, 2023 (extended to September 30)
June 28, 2023
9:06 pm
Top Dogg
Members
Forum Posts: 86
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
101sp_Permalink sp_Print

Vatox said

Yes, it’s just an extension, not a new promo! My money is staying. The csr’s are tards, I never call in.  

Hi Vatox,

Thanks for the reply. You gave me some relief with this..lol. I guess I will just leave my money in there as well.

I hate how Tangerine operates. When my previous promo before this one ran out with Tangerine, I moved my money to Oaken Financial. Prior to moving my funds, I had called Tangerine to see if they could offer me a better more competitive rate before moving my money out and the CSR that I spoke with over the phone said that there was nothing they could offer me at this time. Then lo and behold just over a week after I move my money out of there, they offer me the current promotional rate that I'm currently on right now. Like you could have just saved me the time of transferring my funds out by just giving me the new promotional rate but I guess that's how they operate their business and or business model. I think they're banking (pun intended) on people forgetting about their promotional rate and then just leaving their money in there and getting stuck with a terrible interest rate.

I wonder if the CSR's are told to confuse the client on purpose. It's either that are they're just totally inept and from what people are saying on this forum it seems like the latter.

June 28, 2023
9:21 pm
Top Dogg
Members
102sp_Permalink sp_Print

InterestThis said
It says right in the account, the offer is just extended to Sept 30. There is not one word about July 1, etc. The key is check your balance on Feb 1, that is the baseline.

"From February 2, 2023 to September 30, 2023, you’ll earn your special interest rate on new deposits over your total balances calculated on February 1, 2023 (up to $1,000,000† per Account Type)  

My balance on February 1, 2023 was basically $0 if not $0. It wasn't until February 4, 2023 that I moved all my funds back in.

June 28, 2023
11:01 pm
HermanH
Members
Forum Posts: 1169

I think they're banking (pun intended) on people forgetting about their promotional rate and then just leaving their money in there and getting stuck with a terrible interest rate.

It's a common business model in other industries like online streaming subscriptions. It's common because it works.

June 29, 2023
3:17 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3930
104sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yes, Top Dogg, as my Feb 1 balance was zero I'm getting 5% until Sept 30 on any money I choose to keep in my account. Maybe they'll extend it again, for me that would be the 3rd extension of the original offer.

June 29, 2023
6:24 am
Top Dogg
Members
105sp_Permalink sp_Print

HermanH said

I think they're banking (pun intended) on people forgetting about their promotional rate and then just leaving their money in there and getting stuck with a terrible interest rate.

It's a common business model in other industries like online streaming subscriptions. It's common because it works.  

Yup for sure. You can always count on people to fall asleep at the wheel.

June 29, 2023
8:21 am
cgouimet
Members
Forum Posts: 1474
106sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yes Tangerine can be confusing and sometimes guilty of poor communications. There are others that don't even communicate rate changes, like EQ Bank.

That's why each of us have our own set of preferred FI's that we monitor routinely for rate changes and and special offers and the T&C's associated with them.

Kinda like monitoring Grocery flyers and posted prices and receipts to make sure we're in the right transactions.

Also, not all offers/transactions are equally attractive to all of us ...

CGO
June 29, 2023
9:39 am
InterestThis
Members
Forum Posts: 274
107sp_Permalink sp_Print

The CSR's are very hit and miss. Its better to just very carefully read the legal doc attached to each offer. Last year Simplii also extended and even raised the interest rate in the middle of an offer. So it can happen.
They could also lower the interest rate in the middle of an offer if they wanted to.
Was about to move the Tang deposits out, but with the extended offer will leave them there for now.

June 29, 2023
11:45 am
COIN
Members
Forum Posts: 1109
108sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think Tangerine (or was it Simplii?) recently had something like 3-4 overlapping promos.

They should have just have one promo at a time open to all, like a sane institution.

June 29, 2023
12:19 pm
cgouimet
Members
109sp_Permalink sp_Print

COIN said
I think Tangerine (or was it Simplii?) recently had something like 3-4 overlapping promos.

They should have just have one promo at a time open to all, like a sane institution.  

TNG definitely have numerous offers in play. I'm OK with it all. I've been a willing participant in their games and I have profited nicely.

One issue with TNG is the variability in customer service; usually good but occasionally you get a really miserable CSR like I did last week. Which brings me to the other issue... The need to call in to complete the purchase of joint GIC's; if it weren't for that I wouldn't have experienced bad customer service.

CGO
June 29, 2023
12:26 pm
Top Dogg
Members

cgouimet said
Yes Tangerine can be confusing and sometimes guilty of poor communications. There are others that don't even communicate rate changes, like EQ Bank.

That's why each of us have our own set of preferred FI's that we monitor routinely for rate changes and and special offers and the T&C's associated with them.

Kinda like monitoring Grocery flyers and posted prices and receipts to make sure we're in the right transactions.

Also, not all offers/transactions are equally attractive to all of us ...  

cgouimet: Your last statement is very true. I think most (such as myself) are looking for the best savings interest rate in the market at the time. If not the best, at the very least in the top 3 savings interest rates in the market.

June 29, 2023
12:33 pm
cgouimet
Members
111sp_Permalink sp_Print

Top Dogg said

cgouimet: Your last statement is very true. I think most (such as myself) are looking for the best savings interest rate in the market at the time. If not the best, at the very least in the top 3 savings interest rates in the market.  

All true IMHO, not just the last bit ...

LOL

CGO
June 30, 2023
10:25 am
InterestThis
Members
Forum Posts: 274
112sp_Permalink sp_Print

The overlapping promos are just part of how it all works, as they are responses to changing market conditions, similar to GIC's. If the banks math tells them to bring in more savings, they raise the promo rate over a period.
It sure would be interesting to know how much savings money comes in when they do a promo. Its probably somewere in a disclosure.
But of course, they also want to get people to open an account, and then leave thousands in the account when the offer expires.
There are plenty of people with 80K just sitting in a crummy savings account.

June 30, 2023
11:32 am
The Rock
Members
Forum Posts: 101
113sp_Permalink sp_Print

Last day for the promo. Tangerine is witnessing a mini bank run today.

June 30, 2023
11:43 am
Rail Baron
Members
Forum Posts: 269
114sp_Permalink sp_Print

The Rock said

Which direction is the bank run? In or out?

June 30, 2023
12:40 pm
The Rock
Members
115sp_Permalink sp_Print

Rail Baron said

Which direction is the bank run? In or out?  

Out. Alot of money being pulled this week.

June 30, 2023
1:00 pm
Rail Baron
Members
Forum Posts: 269
116sp_Permalink sp_Print

The Rock said

Out. Alot of money being pulled this week.  

I ran the other way, opening 2 GICs @5.5%.

June 30, 2023
1:16 pm
The Rock
Members
117sp_Permalink sp_Print

Rail Baron said

I ran the other way, opening 2 GICs @5.5%.  

Sweet. LBC Digital has 5.6% for one year.

https://www.lbcdigital.ca/investing/guaranteed-investment-certificates#gic-rates-table

June 30, 2023
2:27 pm
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3930
118sp_Permalink sp_Print

TheRock, you didn't get an extension beyond June 30 at Tangerine?

June 30, 2023
2:44 pm
mordko
Members
Forum Posts: 838
119sp_Permalink sp_Print

The Rock said

You have no basis for this claim.

July 9, 2023
9:30 am
hwyc
GTA
Members
Forum Posts: 1171

ertyu said on June 23rd
I have this promo and just got a notice they've extended mine till Sep 30  

Since Tangerine didn't ask, I wonder is it possible to say NO to an extension & let the promo ends on June 30th. Normally there would be no reason to do so. But in a rising rate environment, people may want that choice of being released back to the lottery pool sooner.

... just saying in hind sight, I probably would have passively accept sf-confused

Please write your comments in the forum.