Targeted offer - 5% on new money till June 30, 2023 (extended to September 30) | Page 4 | Tangerine Bank | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Targeted offer - 5% on new money till June 30, 2023 (extended to September 30)
June 24, 2023
10:25 am
InterestThis
Members
Forum Posts: 273
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Its like GIC laddering, the rates are recalculated on a daily basis based on automated projections from their algorithm's. Tang and some others have some 5.25 1 yr GIC's at present.

June 24, 2023
11:03 am
Lodown
Members
Forum Posts: 196

I moved funds prior to 30 June. Lets see what happens.

June 24, 2023
1:07 pm
Dean
Valhalla Mountains, British Columbia
Members
Forum Posts: 1914

But Lodown ... what are you Expecting to happen ?!

The date of June 30th is no longer a factor. As documented in numerous posts above, this Offer has Now been extended to Sept. 30th ... and there are No changes to the Terms & Conditions.

Is there something you know, that we don't ? sf-wink

Dean

sf-cool " Live Long, Healthy ... And Prosper! " sf-cool

June 25, 2023
2:30 pm
Dean
Valhalla Mountains, British Columbia
Members
Forum Posts: 1914

Hmmm ... still no word from Lodown. sf-smile

Meanwhile, back at the ranch . . .

Just so we're all aware, Tangerine's wordings indicate that they can change, or pull the plug on this offer, anytime they want. With Special Offers, this is pretty much standard procedure with most FIs.

Quote from Tangerine :
    "This Offer, including interest rates, may change,
    or be cancelled without notice."

Fingers crossed,

Dean

sf-cool " Live Long, Healthy ... And Prosper! " sf-cool

June 26, 2023
10:07 pm
Vatox
Members
Forum Posts: 1218

Lodown is hoping to get offered 5.25% rather than just the 5% extension. Since the 5% exists on his account already, I don’t think they will offer 5.25% to bring the money back.

June 27, 2023
9:31 am
InterestThis
Members
Forum Posts: 273

Has anyone seen an instance where Tang matched or upgraded an offer on request? So far I have only seen nope nope and nope.

June 27, 2023
9:38 am
HermanH
Members
Forum Posts: 1166

I have had Tang extend an offer to me that another household member had originally received and accepted.

June 27, 2023
2:21 pm
Top Dogg
Members
Forum Posts: 85

Hi all,

Just wanted to chime in and say that I contacted Tangerine last Friday (Friday June 23, 2023) with this question:

Hi,
My promotional rate got extended until the end of September. Is that just for new deposits or am I still getting the 5% on what's in my savings account as well?

And Tangerine responded with this message:

Thank you for your message. We can confirm that this would be for new deposits only.

Sincerely,
Tangerine.

I also called Tangerine on Friday June 23, 2023 because I wanted double-confirmation and was told by a Customer Service Agent the same thing. Sorry to re-hash or re-iterate what has been said in previous posts but I just wanted to confirm that the extension to September 30th, 2023 for the 5% interest rate is ONLY for new deposits and any existing funds in your Savings(s) Accounts WILL NOT get the promotional interest rate of 5%. I guess for myself it's back to Achieva Financial for now until I open an account at Motive Financial for 4.10% which seems to be the best interest rate floating out there right now unless you're on some sort of promotional rate. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Kind regards,
TD

June 27, 2023
4:46 pm
Alexandre
Members
Forum Posts: 1113

Top Dogg said
Tangerine responded with this message:

Thank you for your message. We can confirm that this would be for new deposits only.

I think you expect too much from overworked call center employees. They are not going to go through nuances of promo offer for you.

I also had 5% promo offer till June 30th. I moved all money out 10 days earlier, because this is what I always do before offer expiry. Then, I got email with promo extension and moved some money back.
This is what my updated offer says in Savings account details:

From February 2, 2023 to September 30, 2023, you’ll earn your special interest rate on new deposits over your total balances calculated on February 1, 2023.

On February 1, 2023 my balance with Tangerine was $0.00. Any money I moved in after that, moved out, moved back in should be considered new money comparing to the balance as of February 1, 2023.
I absolutely expect to see promo rate applied to my money with Tangerine and I expect to see promo interest on August 1st, for the month of July.

June 27, 2023
4:49 pm
HermanH
Members
Forum Posts: 1166

Top Dogg said
My promotional rate got extended until the end of September. Is that just for new deposits or am I still getting the 5% on what's in my savings account as well?

The only way for you to be certain is to log-in online to your account, select the account, and then look at the account details. There have been cases where one forumite got a slightly different offer than another forum member.

Also, read the special terms and conditions for your specific special offer. I believe that the exact terms can be found under your profile >> bonuses & contests.

June 27, 2023
5:22 pm
COIN
Members
Forum Posts: 1109

Does Tang intentionally make offers overly confusing?

June 27, 2023
5:46 pm
mordko
Members
Forum Posts: 832

I am on the same deal as Alexandre. After extension the 5% rate applies to balance over that of Feb 1st until Spt 30ths.

June 27, 2023
5:48 pm
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3929

That's fine if employees don't know the nuances of every promo but it's a very different thing that instead of saying "I don't know" they instead give a very definite answer that is patently wrong. It's something I've noticed in general in the last few years, employees very confidently and happily tell you something that is completely bogus instead of saying "I'm not sure, let me find out for you".

June 27, 2023
6:55 pm
Top Dogg
Members

Alexandre said

Top Dogg said
Tangerine responded with this message:

I think you expect too much from overworked call center employees. They are not going to go through nuances of promo offer for you.

I also had 5% promo offer till June 30th. I moved all money out 10 days earlier, because this is what I always do before offer expiry. Then, I got email with promo extension and moved some money back.
This is what my updated offer says in Savings account details:

From February 2, 2023 to September 30, 2023, you’ll earn your special interest rate on new deposits over your total balances calculated on February 1, 2023.

On February 1, 2023 my balance with Tangerine was $0.00. Any money I moved in after that, moved out, moved back in should be considered new money comparing to the balance as of February 1, 2023.
I absolutely expect to see promo rate applied to my money with Tangerine and I expect to see promo interest on August 1st, for the month of July.  

LOL..over-worked call center employees, yea ok. It's really hard to answer a question over the phone if that's your job. Even people on this forum can't even decipher what the promo is saying. Like I said, I sent Tangerine a direct message and I also called them and I got the same answer for both instances. So what you're saying is they're misleading me with the promo's terms & conditions and lying to me when I not only sent them a direct message but also called them as well and got the same response?

Anyways, if what you're saying is true, then I can just move my funds out tomorrow and then move them back in on July 1st and voila 5% until September 30th. I hope you're right and Tangerine is wrong when I got double-confirmation from them.

June 27, 2023
6:59 pm
Top Dogg
Members

HermanH said

Top Dogg said

The only way for you to be certain is to log-in online to your account, select the account, and then look at the account details. There have been cases where one forumite got a slightly different offer than another forum member.

Also, read the special terms and conditions for your specific special offer. I believe that the exact terms can be found under your profile >> bonuses & contests.  

It says that under "Account Details" for me right now for the new promo until September 30th but that's just for "new money or deposits" and it will continue to say that until September 30th. Tangerine is saying that if I move the money out before June 30th and then back in, I won't be eligible for the 5% since they just want "new money" as they put it. I'm so confused I don't know what to believe.

June 27, 2023
7:02 pm
Top Dogg
Members

COIN said
Does Tang intentionally make offers overly confusing?  

I know, right! I'm getting it from the horses mouth so to speak but apparently people on this forum know better than what the "over-worked call center employees" at Tangerine know.

June 28, 2023
4:18 am
cgouimet
Members
Forum Posts: 1474

Top Dogg said

It says that under "Account Details" for me right now for the new promo until September 30th but that's just for "new money or deposits" and it will continue to say that until September 30th. Tangerine is saying that if I move the money out before June 30th and then back in, I won't be eligible for the 5% since they just want "new money" as they put it. I'm so confused I don't know what to believe.  

When you received/accepted the original "new money only" offer, the offer email (and terms info) would have said what the date of the starting value was. So, money in excess of that starting value is eligible for the 5%. So, if you withdraw to below that original amount only "new" money that which brings your balance above that starting value.

When you look at the Account Details, the "More Info" button will show you that starting date ...

CGO
June 28, 2023
4:36 am
The Rock
Members
Forum Posts: 100

Top Dogg said
I guess for myself it's back to Achieva Financial for now until I open an account at Motive Financial for 4.10% which seems to be the best interest rate floating out there right now unless you're on some sort of promotional rate. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Kind regards,
TD  

Look into Manulife Bank's 5% promo. https://www.highinterestsavings.ca/forum/manulife-bank/spring-2023-new-account-5-on-net-new-deposit/

June 28, 2023
4:45 am
Alexandre
Members

Bill said
... employees very confidently and happily tell you something that is completely bogus instead of saying "I'm not sure, let me find out for you".  

When your employee KPIs based on how fast they resolve customer call and how many irate customers demand escalation "to the manager" when employee does not have an answer, this is what you get.

June 28, 2023
4:48 am
Alexandre
Members

Top Dogg said

Anyways, if what you're saying is true, then I can just move my funds out tomorrow and then move them back in on July 1st and voila 5% until September 30th.

If what I am saying is true and if your offer is same as mine:

The rest of your Account balance will earn the current posted rate.

then you do not have to move money out of your Tangerine account now and wait till July 1st to move it back. That will accomplish nothing.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.