Tangerine - Targeted Offer - 3% for 180 days (Oct 4/18) | Page 5 | Tangerine Bank | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Tangerine - Targeted Offer - 3% for 180 days (Oct 4/18)
November 11, 2018
3:51 pm
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3922
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Patch002, you indicate you're puzzled why Tangerine "spend(s) minimal effort at retaining existing customers" but as I've said before don't assume they have the same desire to retain each of their customers. Good chance it depends on your customer lifetime value (CLV) score.

November 12, 2018
7:41 am
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9245

Bill said
Patch002, you indicate you're puzzled why Tangerine "spend(s) minimal effort at retaining existing customers" but as I've said before don't assume they have the same desire to retain each of their customers. Good chance it depends on your customer lifetime value (CLV) score.  

Never heard of CLV. How is it calculated?

November 12, 2018
7:59 am
Top It Up
Members (temp break)
Forum Posts: 1363

Lots of companies use CLV to some degree or another - a timely article from the Economist -

Flyers should worry about “customer lifetime value” scores

https://www.economist.com/gulliver/2018/11/08/flyers-should-worry-about-customer-lifetime-value-scores

Another example of CLV - this time Lyft

Lyft Rewards will begin rolling out December 2018 to select riders in various cities.

https://blog.lyft.com/posts/lyftrewards

November 12, 2018
3:10 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9245

It would be nice if they'd put ore effort into better customer service and less on evaluating our value to them. We might become more valuable then!

November 12, 2018
4:00 pm
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3922

It's the beauty of big data - businesses have limited resources and now they can use them exclusively to scoop up as much of the low hanging fruit as possible and ignore the rest. It's like everything, you can get to 80% in anything fairly easily, it's the last 20% that takes up your time and energy and now the data can direct businesses right to the 80% right off the hop, easy-peasy.

November 12, 2018
4:33 pm
Top It Up
Members (temp break)
Forum Posts: 1363

As Bill has indicated, the easy use of a CLV provides a simple and accurate cull of the whiners and pikers.

November 12, 2018
8:59 pm
Patch002
Members
Forum Posts: 79

Top It Up said
As Bill has indicated, the easy use of a CLV provides a simple and accurate cull of the whiners and pikers.  

November 12, 2018
11:33 pm
Rick
Members
Forum Posts: 1110

Top It Up said

LOL!!! Probably explains why I haven't had an offer in ages. sf-laugh

November 13, 2018
2:13 am
Kidd
Banned
Forum Posts: 840

My one cent.

When you initially fill out the application, you unwittingly supply more data than you realize. Age, occupation what is the planned use of your funds, etc. These simple questions give insight into your financial potential.

Age and occupation tells the bank, ballpark what kind of savings you would have, planned use... how long the bank may be holding onto your funds. Example. saving to buy a house. The bank knows. Where you live. Median house price in that area. Occupation, so your yearly income. They know you will be saving for a loooooong time.

This goes back to my ombudsmens claim. I had a lot of money with tangerine and i was NOT being offered the same promotions as my brother in law. He had maybe $2,000 in a savings account, tangerine were trying to entice more from him. They figured, they already had all that i had. Tangerine ALWAYS confirms, "you're retired" whenever we speak on the phone for this same reason.

You say... well i am going to move my money elsewhere. They know, Canadians as a whole are very complacent. We talk a big game but how many of us will actually find another financial institution?

On the applications, in the blank where they ask, "sex". Consider a reply of, "okay"

Insurance companies do the same, they use statistics. You are due to have a car accident because you are beating the odds. Back in the day, they wanted to know... are you a smoker? This helped in calculating life longevity. You live where? Oh, your car will be stolen.

A faulty ignition switch will kill yyyy people. Legal costs and fines will be $zzzz. The cost of fixing the switch, $xxxxxx. Conclusion. Let the people die.

Who's in goal tomorrow night? Then they'll win.

Statistics.

January 6, 2019
6:22 am
Saver-Mom
Members
Forum Posts: 312

Most I could get is 2.75%.
Have they decreased the offer, or am I just a bad negotiator?

January 6, 2019
8:20 am
moneyhelp
Members
Forum Posts: 273

Saver-Mom said
Most I could get is 2.75%.
Have they decreased the offer, or am I just a bad negotiator?  

Was the 2.75% offered to you or did you negotiate that rate?

I was offered that same rate which is for one year.

January 6, 2019
11:39 am
Saver-Mom
Members
Forum Posts: 312

The CSR could not offer it, had someone call me back. I asked for best rate, he offered 2.75% on savings account. That rate is for 6 months in my case, not a year, max $500K (no worries haha). He asked if I would be transferring more money in, and I said yes. Oh good, he replied! BTW they had earlier refused to give me that rate when I had almost nothing in the account, but did agree this time (after I had transferred a large amount in). Someone previously said you must have over $80K in the account, I believe.

January 6, 2019
11:55 am
Kidd
Banned
Forum Posts: 840

What will be of interest

Some of us took the 3% for 6 months offer, while others took the 3.1% for 4 months. The 6 month term expires in April, it will be interesting to see what those who took the 4 get in February.

January 6, 2019
12:48 pm
moneyhelp
Members
Forum Posts: 273

Saver-Mom said
The CSR could not offer it, had someone call me back. I asked for best rate, he offered 2.75% on savings account. That rate is for 6 months in my case, not a year, max $500K (no worries haha). He asked if I would be transferring more money in, and I said yes. Oh good, he replied! BTW they had earlier refused to give me that rate when I had almost nothing in the account, but did agree this time (after I had transferred a large amount in). Someone previously said you must have over $80K in the account, I believe.  

I was offered 2.75% via email for 1 year. I did call in since I know some people here were offered 3% or more. I asked for 3% (making them aware of Simplii rate of 3.15%) and they said all they could offer me was 1.6% for 4 months.

I had to remind them that I had been offered 2.75% by them via email, and they said, I can then take that rate, which I did.

When I inquired about why I cannot get at least 3%, they were clear and said that you can only get that rate if the balance is $80K or more.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.