Another 2.80% Promotion for existing clients starting April 1, 2022 | Tangerine Bank | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Another 2.80% Promotion for existing clients starting April 1, 2022
March 17, 2022
11:55 am
COIN
Members
Forum Posts: 1108
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

"Here’s what’s going to happen:

1. Look out for a message from us dropping in your inbox on April 1, 2022.

2. In that email, activate your offer to earn your special rate.

3. Remember, you’ll have to keep the funds in your Account between April 1, 2022 to August 31, 2022 (the “Promotion Period”) to keep earning your special rate."

March 17, 2022
11:57 am
hwyc
GTA
Members
Forum Posts: 1165

Someone in my family received Tangerine email today informing him he will be on the next wave of offer at 2.80% starting April 1st to end-of-August !!!

sf-surprised ... is that Tangerine's way of telling you don't lock it in a short-term GIC elsewhere for now ????

March 17, 2022
12:16 pm
Axial
Members
Forum Posts: 4

hwyc said
Someone in my family received Tangerine email today informing him he will be on the next wave of offer at 2.80% starting April 1st to end-of-August !!!

sf-surprised  

If we received this notification about the next offer starting April 1, could one still remove funds from savings before that date and then transfer it in as new funds after the offer starts? Or does the wording exclude that?

March 17, 2022
12:20 pm
lifeonanisland
Members
Forum Posts: 235

I wonder if anyone gets these offers while their money is currently taking advantage of another targeted offer? Some of mine currently in another offer until the end of April.

March 17, 2022
12:31 pm
Gogie
Members
Forum Posts: 16

I just got an email re the 2.80% offer. It does NOT state nor imply that the rate applies only to NEW deposits. Here's the footnote to the offer:

* The 2.80% Interest Rate Offer (the “Offer”) is only available to existing Tangerine Clients who have received this communication directly from Tangerine and who activate the Offer online by April 30, 2022. The 2.80% promotional interest rate (the “Promotional Interest Rate”) is valid from April 1, 2022 to August 31, 2022 (the “Promotion Period”) and is only available for eligible non-registered Tangerine Savings Account(s) (“Applicable Accounts”) to a maximum balance of $5,000,000 in all Applicable Accounts combined (“Eligible Balances”) during the Promotion Period. The Promotional Interest Rate is an annualized rate, calculated daily and paid monthly. This Offer can’t be combined with any other promotional rate offers for non-registered Savings Accounts. This Offer, including interest rates, may change, be extended or cancelled without notice.

March 17, 2022
12:36 pm
hwyc
GTA
Members
Forum Posts: 1165

Axial said

If we received this notification about the next offer starting April 1, could one still remove funds from savings before that date and then transfer it in as new funds after the offer starts? Or does the wording exclude that?  

Hm. Come to think of it, my source is currently on the 1.40% extension till end-of-March. We don't have the T&C details on the new offer. Preemptively, I would withdraw to lower the account(s) balance before April 1st.

... also noted the pre-offer is on *non-registered* accounts whereas the wave I'm currently on (till end-of-July) includes TFSA

March 17, 2022
1:21 pm
COIN
Members
Forum Posts: 1108

Can funds still be added to the account after April 1st?

March 17, 2022
1:39 pm
cgouimet
Members
Forum Posts: 1473

Has anyone ever seen such an offer from Tangerine, one that starts at a later date? I have only ever received offers after the start date...

P.S. 10+8 ... The math to post is getting tough 🙂

CGO
March 17, 2022
1:48 pm
Axial
Members
Forum Posts: 4

lifeonanisland said
I wonder if anyone gets these offers while their money is currently taking advantage of another targeted offer? Some of mine currently in another offer until the end of April.  

Not sure how often this happens (I'd never previously received a Tangerine offer while currently on one), but I just received this 2.8% offer while currently under a 1.6% offer until Mar. 31.

March 17, 2022
2:35 pm
rhvic
Victoria, BC
Members
Forum Posts: 467

COIN said
"Here’s what’s going to happen:

3. Remember, you’ll have to keep the funds in your Account between April 1, 2022 to August 31, 2022 (the “Promotion Period”) to keep earning your special rate."  

Well this is certainly unusual with regards to Tangerine; I have never seen them announce a promotion in this manner and so far ahead of time!

What are we to make of point #3 - do you lose the promotional rate on the entire balance if you reduce the account balance in any way between April 1, 2022 to August 31, 2022 ??

Also, will the new rate include "old money" already in the account before April 1?

March 17, 2022
3:23 pm
implode
Members
Forum Posts: 167

Axial said

Not sure how often this happens (I'd never previously received a Tangerine offer while currently on one), but I just received this 2.8% offer while currently under a 1.6% offer until Mar. 31.  

I'm still stuck on my 2.0% rate until April 30th, but no 2.8% offer 🙁

March 17, 2022
3:32 pm
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2857

so thats like a 5mth GIC cuz money need to stay there till end of term in August.

March 17, 2022
4:09 pm
Rasher
Members
Forum Posts: 3

Here is an exact email I received from Tangerine today about a new but similar offer; it doesn't mention anything about the New Money requirement?! Wondering if I should move my current holdings out or not until APR-01 to be safe?!

We’re here to help with your savings.

Flag for follow up. Start by 2022-03-17. Due by 2022-04-01.
Flag for follow up. Start by 2022-03-17. Due by 2022-04-01.
Tangerine
Thu 2022-03-17 12:02

Keep your savings in place to earn a special rate.

Tangerine

Let’s take a moment to think long-term.

Let’s get through this together.

Earn a 2.80% special interest rate on all your eligible non-registered Savings balances of up to $5,000,000 combined*.

CDIC Digital Membership Sign - This logo signifies that this institution is a CDIC Member Deposit Protection

Here’s what’s going to happen:

3. Remember, you’ll have to keep the funds in your Account between April 1, 2022 to August 31, 2022 (the “Promotion Period”) to keep earning your special rate.

* The 2.80% Interest Rate Offer (the “Offer”) is only available to existing Tangerine Clients who have received this communication directly from Tangerine and who activate the Offer online by April 30, 2022. The 2.80% promotional interest rate (the “Promotional Interest Rate”) is valid from April 1, 2022 to August 31, 2022 (the “Promotion Period”) and is only available for eligible non-registered Tangerine Savings Account(s) (“Applicable Accounts”) to a maximum balance of $5,000,000 in all Applicable Accounts combined (“Eligible Balances”) during the Promotion Period. The Promotional Interest Rate is an annualized rate, calculated daily and paid monthly. This Offer can’t be combined with any other promotional rate offers for non-registered Savings Accounts. This Offer, including interest rates, may change, be extended or cancelled without notice.

Tangerine is a registered trademark of The Bank of Nova Scotia, used under licence.

The mailbox that sent this email for us stubbornly refuses to accept email. It won’t cooperate if you hit ‘reply’, so please use our regular contact information to reach us if you need to.

Click here to unsubscribe if you'd like to stop receiving promotional emails from Tangerine Bank. Please note that if you unsubscribe, you'll continue to receive certain transactional and operational emails about your Account and transactions with Tangerine Bank.

Apple and the Apple logo are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc.

Android and Google Play are registered trademarks of Google LLC.

Tangerine Bank | 3389 Steeles Ave. East, Toronto ON M2H 0A1 | tangerine.ca

AppStore Google store

Facebook Twitter YouTube

Privacy Code Security Blog

March 17, 2022
5:12 pm
BCgeorge
Members
Forum Posts: 5

I called Tangerine about the 2.80% special interest rate promo.
I asked if this was for new money or was it for retention.
At first he did not know about the promo and said usually these
things were for new money. I said if it was for new money, I
should transfer the money out before April 1 and back after
April 1. I asked him to check. I went on hold. He came back
and said it was for new and old money.

The email does say

"2.80% special interest rate on ALL your eligible non-registered Savings balances"

March 17, 2022
5:42 pm
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6747

The fine print of the offer and of previous offers are available after logging in, under

"Profile & Settings" ► "Bonuses & Contests"

March 17, 2022
5:51 pm
Alexandra
British Columbia
Members
Forum Posts: 458

I received notification of this offer as well today. Right now, under an old offer, I am receiving 1.6% until 31 March. So, I guess if I activate the new offer on April 1st, I'll be receiving 2.8% from 1 Apr - 31 Aug.

I take it that any funds I already have in my HISA at 01 April plus any new deposits will get the 2.8%. It does sound as though you can't do any withdrawals from the account until the offer expires?

Maybe the unusual heads up is so clients will start to transfer funds in early and for them to delay any decision to lock into another institutions GIC rates.

March 17, 2022
6:10 pm
Gogie
Members
Forum Posts: 16

Alexandra said
I received notification of this offer as well today. Right now, under an old offer, I am receiving 1.6% until 31 March. So, I guess if I activate the new offer on April 1st, I'll be receiving 2.8% from 1 Apr - 31 Aug.

I take it that any funds I already have in my HISA at 01 April plus any new deposits will get the 2.8%. It does sound as though you can't do any withdrawals from the account until the offer expires?

Maybe the unusual heads up is so clients will start to transfer funds in early and for them to delay any decision to lock into another institutions GIC rates.  

I’m pretty sure the rate applies to any funds in an eligible account on any day and you do not have to leave the money in the account until August 31. Since they state interest is deposited monthly what are they going to do, come after you to try to recover the interest paid if you take money out before August 31?

March 17, 2022
6:38 pm
Alexandra
British Columbia
Members
Forum Posts: 458

Gogie said

I’m pretty sure the rate applies to any funds in an eligible account on any day and you do not have to leave the money in the account until August 31. Since they state interest is deposited monthly what are they going to do, come after you to try to recover the interest paid if you take money out before August 31?  

No, I don't think that sf-kiss I was thinking about what rhvic said @ 2:35 pm today. On point #3: Remember you'll have to keep the funds in your account from 1Apr-31Aug to keep earning your special rate". Unsure of what that means. Naturally, anywhere if you take funds out of an account, you don't earn interest on that withdrawal amount.

March 17, 2022
11:22 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9235

You'll have to wait for the specific T&C.
It could be that any withdrawal, however small, would terminate the offer, so you would get the promo rate only up until that date; the word "keep" in point number 3 could be the clue on that.
Or it could be that they are just trying to scare you away from making a withdrawal with this poorly worded email.
It's also possible that they've taken a leaf out of Simplii's book so that, for this offer, promo interest is only posted at the end of the offer - if you continued to qualify.
Still, if what you want is a term deposit for a few months, it could be a good deal.
No email here.

March 18, 2022
12:31 am
HermanH
Members
Forum Posts: 1159
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

Loonie said
It's also possible that they've taken a leaf out of Simplii's book so that, for this offer, promo interest is only posted at the end of the offer - if you continued to qualify.

I'm a new Simplii member so I checked. Interest may only be paid at the end of the period, but interest is calculated and earned daily. Fluctuations in balance do not terminate the offer.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.