Estate Planning to avoid merging of registered funds to exceed CDIC $100,000 | Page 5 | Investing | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Estate Planning to avoid merging of registered funds to exceed CDIC $100,000
August 16, 2023
9:50 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9259
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Actually, Norman1 published 2 or 3 of these charts over time with similar results if I remember correctly, so it's not just one point in time. The only other evidence offered is current/recent rates. If you thought low rates were not normal, neither is the current situation normal. Do we ever have normal?

An important question which remains unanswered is WHY issuers have decided to offer these current rates at this time through brokerages. We can speculate about that, but I doubt they are going to confirm the answer. Without that information, we can't know if differences in rates through various channels are likely to continue. Given the bit of history that we do have, I suggest they aren't likely to be a reliable pattern for future renewals. Conditions are always changing.

The simplest and easiest method remains a fully insured laddered CU RIF. It's not very hard to find one with a history of generally "competitive" rates. The one I'm using has no fees for anything. The ability to "set it and forget it" becomes invaluable as you drift further into RIF territory over time. At 76, I'm starting to feel that.

There is no need to hop around to seek better rates, but, if you want to, it will be easy to do sigh your CU. Spouse is in the process of transferring an RIF this week. Filled out form online at new CU Monday, submitted by secure message; received phone call from relinquishing CU Wednesday to confirm; cheque will be in the mail tomorrow to new CU. Same process from TDDI took about four months with endless phone calls and aggravation.

I think interested readers will be able to read Norman's chart and sort out the recent comments for themselves. I have no more to add at this time.

August 16, 2023
9:56 pm
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6784

The previous charts were in the same thread as that chart.

One will have to scroll backwards in that thread as each chart doesn't have a link to the previous chart.

Historically, money market instruments and tradeable bonds were not competitive with GIC's and high interest savings accounts too. But, that's not been the case recently either.

I've emptied most of my high interest savings accounts into my brokerage accounts for brokerage ISA's, bankers' acceptances, and short-term tradeable bonds. With short-term bonds, some of the return is capital gains for tax purposes as the bonds trade below face value because of their low 1.5% to 3% coupons.

August 17, 2023
5:09 pm
RetirEd
Members
Forum Posts: 1019

I have investigated fee-based money managers before and decided to avoid them. The ones who sent me solicitations (like Canaccord) and presentations were the worst, but I was happy to make use of their information and education. (That was before series F funds and other changes) I concluded that one had to be crazy to hold any fixed assets (bank accounts or GICs paying low insured, no-action-needed rates) under management of someone taking a percentage of one's net assets. I asked one guy that specific question, and he just said (without meeting my eye) that most of his clients liked keeping everything in one place.

Hah! They always talked about their "target earnings" with no rationale to believe they'd achieve them.
RetirEd

RetirEd

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.