Estate Planning to avoid merging of registered funds to exceed CDIC $100,000 | Investing | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Estate Planning to avoid merging of registered funds to exceed CDIC $100,000
August 8, 2023
4:13 pm
Pewter
Members
Forum Posts: 144
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I have a good reason to be concerned about how much we have in registered funds each at the same FI.

I live in BC so keeping local with PT and Oaken is sort of a good idea.

And of course I don't favour Oaken for RIF and TFSA as they don't have registered savings accounts.

I have lost trust in Accelerate with the new management.

I still like Hubert even though they are under the same umbrella as Accelerate and are still friendly and good to talk too. The rumour of Accelerate merging with Hubert is ok "if" they keep the Hubert system and the Hubert people.

People's Trust is CDIC insured BUT People's Bank only allows non registered GIC's
I need to transfer out TFSA funds of both of our accounts so the total including interest does not exceed $100,000. I have to build a plan for the timing of that.

Oaken Home Trust is CDIC insured and Oaken Home Bank both allow registered funds. <= is that correct, both? Next year I need to move funds at maturity to Home Bank from Home Trust. But won't meet my goals until sometime in 2025.
1. I lieu of not meeting my goal, has any one experienced to request moving a non matured RIF Gic from Home Trust to Home Bank (or vice versa) due to death and to appease the successor?

Hubert is okay as their insurance is unlimited. And I have RRIF there that I would like to keep there and will be removing all TFSA.

Accelerate has gone down the toilet and while insurance is unlimited I only plan to use them for a non registered savings account. AND will be removing all TFSA.

While I guess I am over cautious as so far it does not appear that either People's or Oaken is moving the wrong way.

My thoughts are to:
Divide up Oaken RIF's over the 2 banks.
Leave my RIF's in Hubert....or should I move to Oaken?
Leave my TFSA to be maximized at PT and then any overages to Oaken HT and HB. Or should I put my overages in Hubert. <= I like them...but what if they change and what are they like to deal with for probate?

Does any one have any ideas? Is moved money still covered?

August 8, 2023
5:13 pm
Rail Baron
Members
Forum Posts: 269

How has Accelerate gone "down the toilet"?

I'm happy with MAXA Financial, a subsidiary of Westoba Credit Union, which manages the bulk of my registered funds without worrying about deposit insurance limits because it's also backed by the Deposit Guarantee Corporation of Manitoba.

August 8, 2023
5:24 pm
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members
Forum Posts: 2900
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

I don't have any specific words of wisdom but I think you have to assume most of the mid-tier financial institutions on the HISA/GIC list here will blow 'hot and cold' over time. It will depend on profitability, executive and board strategies and policies, and competition with each other, if not ultimately mergers. What is hot today is cold tomorrow. What entity exists today may be gone in a few years. Who you are dealing with today may change significantly tomorrow.

In summary, I don't think you can make any assumptions about the longevity of your preferences. Go with your best guesses today based on which ones might be growing in assets rather than standing still and be prepared to move at any given point in time. No one would have guessed a year ago or so that Smith Financial would be buying Home Trust/Home Bank/Oaken Financial and taking it private...as an example. I doubt anyone would have guessed any of the mergers that have taken place the last year or two.

Added: Expect consolidation to continue.

August 8, 2023
9:49 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9259

I became weary reading the original post as it's so complicated.

I'm not clear on your goals, but it sounds like your priority is that the registered funds remain fully insured both now and in the event of death of one spouse (when they would increase significantly if at same FI).
But you don't tell us how much you are dealing with, so it's hard to know what this all means for you.

Based on this, I would probably just go with one or more of the MB CUs as it will all continue to be insured. You might also look at BC CUs as I believe they also have unlimited insurance, but rates may not be very good. So do Ontario CUs on registered plans - I think Meridian will serve you in BC but not sure.
I would forget about Oaken and Peoples. CDIC limits are lowish, and, with interest rates the way they are, you might exceed them sooner than you think and will have to continue to rearrange your investments regularly - a nuisance. That said, there is little to no growth to be had with RIFs due to mandatory withdrawals

August 9, 2023
4:40 am
RetirEd
Members
Forum Posts: 1019

Don't forget that both Oaken and Peoples have dual corporate structures - Home Bank/Home Trust and Peoples Trust/Peoples Bank. (Yes, you have less choice with no registered products in some.) And the separate classes within each institution still get separate limits.

If you have enough cash to fill all those options up, you might be ready to explore the Turks & Caicos!
RetirEd

RetirEd

August 9, 2023
7:40 am
Pewter
Members

Hi. Thanks for reading.

I would like to get back to the subject "Estate Planning to avoid merging of registered funds to exceed CDIC $100,000"

For example. Say I am with a CDIC bank like Peoples Trust (and while they have Peoples Bank, Peoples Bank does not have registered accounts) and let's say that Spouse 1 and 2 are successors to each others registered accounts.

Spouse 1 has $75,000 in TFSA
Spouse 2 has $45,000 in TFSA

Spouse 2 dies.
Spouse 1 now has $120,000 in TFSA account and that now exceeds the CDIC coverage of $100,000.
Has any one made a plan around that? To avoid being "over" the $1000,000?

August 9, 2023
7:44 am
Pewter
Members

AltaRed said

No one would have guessed a year ago or so that Smith Financial would be buying Home Trust/Home Bank/Oaken Financial and taking it private...as an example. I doubt anyone would have guessed any of the mergers that have taken place the last year or two.

Added: Expect consolidation to continue.  

Yes, I agree more consolidation. And HSBC will be absorbed as well. I am not familiar with the "private bank". Private meaning no share holders? Would they still be CDIC insured? Peoples is also owned by a family that owns West Edmonton Mall, or is that different?

August 9, 2023
8:04 am
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members
Forum Posts: 2900
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

A private bank is owned by a non-public traded company, such as Smith Financial. CDIC insurance still applies.

My original point to the OP is the financial landscape continually changes with mergers and acquisitions, changes in strategies, new offerings, closing of existing offerings, etc. It simply does not remain static enough to not pay attention, i.e. set and forget, if one is anxious/obsessed with insurance coverage, and/or ease to set up POAs, or ease for an Executor to process for probate.

My view has always been to keep it as minimally complicated as is practical with minimal accounts and with strong institutions.

August 9, 2023
8:11 am
Pewter
Members

Loonie said
I would forget about Oaken and Peoples. CDIC limits are lowish, and, with interest rates the way they are, you might exceed them sooner than you think and will have to continue to rearrange your investments regularly - a nuisance. That said, there is little to no growth to be had with RIFs due to mandatory withdrawals.

I really appreciate your comments @Loonie.
I assume your comments about Oaken and Peoples are because of the low CDIC limits? Or do you have some other reasons?

I have done well with GIC's over the years. I had numerous FI accounts and over the years I have closed some accounts and have never looked back and the ones I still have, I use them what they are good for, for me. ie. the only good thing about Accelerate, for me, is their Savings Account that has cheques, and ATM cards and can be the hub for push/pulls.

Because we live in Vancouver my preference is to keep Oaken and Peoples because they have offices, locally .... and their rates and level of services is good (ha ha I did not say excellent, though).

As far as BC credit unions blah!!! Coast Capital could be good but is a haywire outfit with real crappy service. I do use VanCity for my pension and bill payments .... all the freebies and the no fee ChaChing ATM's... but rates are not great. I did explore Blueshore Financial in North Van, but are not stable enough for good rates and ditto for Canada Western Bank. CWB could be a consideration and is CDIC covered but not sure if their rates are up and down too much.

Your no growth comment in regards to RRIF's with mandatory withdrawals could be correct but with some of the low rates we had vs today when I redid my wife's RRIF's in 5 yr GIC, I actual made enough "interest only" to cover her next 3 mandatory payments.

August 9, 2023
8:13 am
Pewter
Members

Rail Baron said

I'm happy with MAXA Financial, a subsidiary of Westoba Credit Union, which manages the bulk of my registered funds without worrying about deposit insurance limits because it's also backed by the Deposit Guarantee Corporation of Manitoba.  

Accelerate is my personal opinion.
Maxa I considered years ago but there was negative comments about them so I chose not to deal with them.

Both personal choices that we all make. Nothing is right or wrong about them.

August 9, 2023
9:01 am
Rail Baron
Members

Pewter said

Accelerate is my personal opinion.
Maxa I considered years ago but there was negative comments about them so I chose not to deal with them.

Both personal choices that we all make. Nothing is right or wrong about them.  

I agree that no FI is perfect, and MAXA has some annoying (but really not major) fees that I could see turning some people off. But they also accept LIRA funds, which Hubert does not.

I was genuinely curious what was bothering you about Accelerate, since these attributes are likely to migrate to Hubert in the years to come.

Remember when Wardair was merged into Canadian Airlines? Service dropped to the lowest common denominator. Remember when Canadian Airlines was merged into Air Canada? Same drop in service to lowest common denominator. It's the default model of Canadian corporate evolution, although there are always exceptions to the rule. Will Hubert be one of those exceptions? Or will it be like Wardair, fondly remembered for what was lost?

August 9, 2023
9:09 am
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6784

Hubert's system will not be kept.

Access CU disclosed when the merger was proposed that the plan is to bring all the merging CU's into Access CU's banking system and retire the other banking systems.

August 9, 2023
9:16 am
Rail Baron
Members

Norman1 said

Access CU disclosed when the merger was proposed that the plan is to bring all the merging CU's into Access CU's banking system and retire the other banking systems.  

Sounds more and more like a Wardair scenario!

August 9, 2023
9:25 am
Pewter
Members

Norman1 said

Yikes....I was hoping to NOT hear that. I have not purchased a GIC at Accelerate for a long time. I used to just call Debbie or Desiree. I think Debbie was the one that grew the business from day one. Now it’s just whoever. And “whoever” seems to not value the faceless customers.

If and when the merger occurs and would assume either Hubert or Accelerate merges to one or the other.....and uses the the Access “who ever” ungrateful style, most likely I will phase out all GICS from both.

Edit. Hubert now allows you to set your GIC maturity instructions. I always set my GICs to not renew at maturity and to pay interest annually. I don’t mind the extra online step but get annoyed when you have to call to have one or the other set up. Oaken is the best for setting up a GIC, complete with all options.

August 9, 2023
9:44 am
Pewter
Members

Rail Baron said

Remember when Wardair was merged into Canadian Airlines? Service dropped to the lowest common denominator. Remember when Canadian Airlines was merged into Air Canada? Same drop in service to lowest common denominator. It's the default model of Canadian corporate evolution, although there are always exceptions to the rule. Will Hubert be one of those exceptions? Or will it be like Wardair, fondly remembered for what was lost?  

Ha ha...I’m not that old!!

I worked for a major retailer and my first travel was to fly back and forth from Vancouver to Toronto every weekend for 5 weeks. The good part was....I was directed to fly Wardair, first class. And first class it was....first on, first off, champagne and orange juice within a minute and meals that weren’t all that bad. And very nice flight attendants.

Good old fashioned service! Some will never experience it from a Canadian airline in their life time.

Then later Air Canada was our official carrier. And the rebel in me was to book my own trips that save money by using WestJet. Good service and on time flights. But now....WestJet might as well as merge with Air Canada.

Then I was forced to use corporate travel. Air Canada with a bunch of real old curmudgeons for flight attendants, crappy food, always late and usually lied to as well.

So.....I guess this is what we see with Accelerate and soon Hubert .... bank of Air Canada. YIKES!!

Now that I am retired, the few trips we have done were not with Air Canada or WestJet.

August 9, 2023
10:42 am
Winnie
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 463

Rail Baron said

I had very bad experience with Accelerate.
Closed all my accounts and membership.
Just my personal opinion.

August 9, 2023
10:49 am
Pewter
Members

Winnie said

Rail Baron said

I had very bad experience with Accelerate.
Closed all my accounts and membership.
Just my personal opinion.  

B8E3532A-2DD5-4036-B01C-4FCBA51B1C95.png

Would like to share why?

Was it before or after the merger?

August 9, 2023
11:03 am
Winnie
Ontario
Members

Pewter said

B8E3532A-2DD5-4036-B01C-4FCBA51B1C95.png

Would like to share why?

Was it before or after the merger?  

Before merger.
A few problems, but the most difficult for me was the process how they managed withdrawal from my RRSP account.

Each time, when I asked for withdrawal of some money from my RRSP, I needed to call them and I was forced to write a withdrawal note with my signature. Mandatory to include there, that I do understand, that Accelerate will withhold and forward some percentage to CRA from my withdrawal.
Yes, each single time I needed to do that, not just once.
And I needed to mail that note each time.

August 9, 2023
11:28 am
Pewter
Members

A few problems, but the most difficult for me was the process how they managed withdrawal from my RRSP account.
Each time, when I asked for withdrawal of some money from my RRSP, I needed to call them and I was forced to write a withdrawal note with my signature.

Similar to Hubert. In years past I just called Hubert and they gave it to me. But it appears that Hubert is doing same as Accelerate. I KNOW EXACTLY HOW YOU FEEL. Probably a “who ever” kind of employee did not explain why...and if they had you might still be there. They have to do a CYA to ensure that you realize that there will be a tax withhold. The CYA covers them if you call back with an issue. The withhold is outside of the mandatory RRIF payment ... but I believe always if coming from a RRSP. They don’t make that decision .. they have to meet federal government guidelines. With Hubert you call them and they do an electronic form that shows your request like.....$1000 minus 10% and that you will receive $900. You then electronically sign it, then the funds show in your savings account.

Did you pull funds from savings account or from an non matured GIC?

Mandatory to include there, that I do understand, that Accelerate will withhold and forward some percentage to CRA from my withdrawal.

Yes they have to take 10% for up to $5000 and 20% for over $5000. Quebec is different. No matter what both RRSP and RRIF are taxable now or at end of year.

Yes, each single time I needed to do that, not just once.
And I needed to mail that note each time.

That’s there call. They did not do a good explanation for you. I usually do extra withdrawals from RRIF from savings or in the case of Oaken I direct them to move a matured RRIF GIC to my non registered savings. I have a brunch of $1000 and $2000 GICs to do that with. And I do mail in a signed form for that request. The form is their form..so not too much effort to handle.

Every one has different rules. Hubert and Oaken have them published on their website. Does Accelerate?

August 9, 2023
12:33 pm
Winnie
Ontario
Members

Pewter said
Did you pull funds from savings account or from an non matured GIC?

Just from savings account.
I think, that from an non matured GIC simple not possible.
I never tried or needed to do from an non matured GIC

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.