Estate Planning to avoid merging of registered funds to exceed CDIC $100,000 | Page 4 | Investing | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Estate Planning to avoid merging of registered funds to exceed CDIC $100,000
August 14, 2023
12:29 am
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9259
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

If the GIC rates at discount brokerages have historically been so terrific, why have they not received significant (or any?) attention before on this forum? I've been here 10 years and I can't recall them ever being mentioned.
If it were all so cut and dried, we wouldn't have much left to talk about.
Seems very odd that Bill would have missed such an opportunity to tout the big banks.
Accordingly, I am not prepared to believe Bill's claim on his say-so, and it would be nigh impossible to prove or disprove it now.

I have my own theory about why these rates may be temporarily high. Markets are sluggish; the brokerages are determined to hold on to your money with the expectation that you will reinvest later, so they negotiate these higher rates with issuers specifically for these accounts. Brokerages wouldn't be in business if they couldn't look forward to keeping your money for a riskier investment later; that's where they make their money.

Someone is going to say the rates are higher than at the branch because of costs. I don't find this credible. The primary reason branch service is 'costly' is because of inefficiency: the staff spend most of your time trying to sell you something you didn't ask for. They could make online GIC purchases just as desirable for regular customers as for brokerage ones but they choose not to for reason stated above.
It will be interesting to see what happens when your new GICs mature and markets pick up. If, at that time, you decide to move your money elsewhere due to poor service or crappy rates, well, good luck to you! Every matured registered GIC you transfer out will cost you minimum $150. Hopefully it will arrive in a couple of months.

One other caveat. You can't depend on today's fee schedule to tell you what fees will be in place in a few years or how much. Several years ago I posted a question on one of the big banks' own forums about a particular fee for a registered account. The response was that there was no fee for whatever it was. Within a year, however, this overlooked "fee opportunity" had been addressed and a fee was in place.

August 14, 2023
7:32 am
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members
Forum Posts: 2901

Loonie said
I have my own theory about why these rates may be temporarily high. Markets are sluggish; the brokerages are determined to hold on to your money with the expectation that you will reinvest later, so they negotiate these higher rates with issuers specifically for these accounts. Brokerages wouldn't be in business if they couldn't look forward to keeping your money for a riskier investment later; that's where they make their money.  

GIC rates at discount brokerages have nothing to do with the brokerages themselves. Issuers of the GICs set the rates. If Home Trust wishes to sell GICs in nominee name through a discount brokerage, they peddle it to the brokerage, set the rate and the brokerage is nothing more than a passive order taker from its customers/clients. All the brokerage gets out of this is a "25bp x term" commission from the issuer for filling that GIC order. Your post show a rather erroneous view of the discount brokerage business. Discount brokerages are passive order takers. Nothing more and nothing less.

GIC rates can be higher from time to time (but not often the case) at discount brokerages because that is where the GIC issuer has made a conscious decision to attract deposits, at a cost to them of the brokerage commission, which may, or may not, be less cost than having CSRs on staff to deal with retail customers directly. There is nothing ominous, sleight of hand, or anything of the sort about it.

Those of us who buy our GICs via discount brokerages do so for the convenience of one stop shopping and range of GIC issuers. We abhor the hoops and complications of dealing with individual FIs and are willing to take, most of the time, a slight haircut on GIC yields for that convenience.

Added: "25bp x term" example: $10000 GIC for a 3 year term would attract a commission payable by the GIC issuer (not the client) of $10000 @ 0.25% x 3 years= $75

August 14, 2023
8:01 am
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6784

As well, any money that leaves a discount broker to be parked in a GIC temporarily elsewhere will come back in order to be invested in stocks. Hubert, Oaken, EQ Bank, for example, don't offer stock trading.

The deposit brokerage business is driven by the needs of the issuer and not of the broker. An issuer, such as MCAN, would not be interested in paying more to subsidize the business development of an online broker such as Scotia iTRADE.

If a deposit broker wishes to offer a better rate, the broker is free to assign some or all of the ¼%-per-GIC-year commission to the client. The issuer will then flow it through to the rate on the client's GIC.

August 14, 2023
8:39 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3930

I said big bank discount broker GIC offerings were "competitive", Loonie changed things a bit right off the hop by indicating I'd said "terrific". Makes it easy to attack someone's credibility when you change their wording thus meaning, I guess.

Anyway the rest of the post doesn't warrant my response, seems kind of loony to me so no point.

August 14, 2023
8:43 am
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members

AltaRed said
Those of us who buy our GICs via discount brokerages do so for the convenience of one stop shopping and range of GIC issuers. We abhor the hoops and complications of dealing with individual FIs and are willing to take, most of the time, a slight haircut on GIC yields for that convenience.  

I should have qualified this to say 'especially for registered accounts' where it is more difficult to move money to/from financial institutions. Many of us who have most of our investments in discount brokerages have non-registered funds with one or more of the FIs on the HISA/GIC charts here from time to time, and especially so when HISA and/or GIC rates are significantly better than through discount brokerages. There are threads on Financial Wisdom Forum and Canadian Money Forum specifically dedicated to HISA and GIC rates in the broader financial industry.

Off-tangent Note: This site has an extremely short 'edit' period allowed.

August 14, 2023
10:45 pm
Loonie
Members

AltaRed said

GIC rates at discount brokerages have nothing to do with the brokerages themselves. Issuers of the GICs set the rates. If Home Trust wishes to sell GICs in nominee name through a discount brokerage, they peddle it to the brokerage, set the rate and the brokerage is nothing more than a passive order taker from its customers/clients. All the brokerage gets out of this is a "25bp x term" commission from the issuer for filling that GIC order. Your post show a rather erroneous view of the discount brokerage business. Discount brokerages are passive order takers. Nothing more and nothing less.

GIC rates can be higher from time to time (but not often the case) at discount brokerages because that is where the GIC issuer has made a conscious decision to attract deposits, at a cost to them of the brokerage commission, which may, or may not, be less cost than having CSRs on staff to deal with retail customers directly. There is nothing ominous, sleight of hand, or anything of the sort about it.

Yes, I can see your point that brokerage GIC rates may not be related to brokerage industry's other products, although I didn't need the lengthy explanation. I understand more than you assume.
As I said, it was my theory, not necessarily fact and certainly unproven. I still have to wonder, though, whether the brokerages don't negotiate these rates with issuers rather than just accept them. We may never know what goes on behind closed doors.

I am glad that you recognize that brokerage GIC rates are not always at the best. Anyone who is contemplating setting up such an account for this purpose needs to realize that the patterns they see today may not be there when they renew.

August 14, 2023
10:59 pm
Loonie
Members

@Norman1:
A year or two ago, before rates started to rise, you posted a series of tables comparing Hubert to something else. I think it was GIC rates and that the others' were discount brokers or deposit brokers. I may have misremembered. Would you be able to find these again? It might be useful in the present discussion to revisit the past. I, at least, would find it interesitng, although it seems that the seekers on this thread may have made up their minds already.

August 15, 2023
12:17 pm
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members

Loonie said
Yes, I can see your point that brokerage GIC rates may not be related to brokerage industry's other products, although I didn't need the lengthy explanation. I understand more than you assume.

As I said, it was my theory, not necessarily fact and certainly unproven. I still have to wonder, though, whether the brokerages don't negotiate these rates with issuers rather than just accept them. We may never know what goes on behind closed doors.

I am glad that you recognize that brokerage GIC rates are not always at the best. Anyone who is contemplating setting up such an account for this purpose needs to realize that the patterns they see today may not be there when they renew.  

The detailed explanation was not primarily constructed for you. This thread is followed by many who may not be in the same place, including most importantly, the OP.

For the most part, issuer GIC rates are exactly the same across the discount brokerages, at least the 3 brokerages we have accounts at. I can't say that is unequivocally so since I do not monitor GIC rates every week at the 3 brokerages but it is what I observe when I do compare.

August 15, 2023
10:36 pm
Loonie
Members

You are entitled to make the decision that works for you, but I have to ask, why on earth are you going with Dominion Securities? I don't always agree with AltaRed, but he has quite rightly warned you not to do this, for good reason. Assuming you are capable of making your purchases online according to your wishes and that all you want to buy is GICs, there is NO advantage to using DS and it is going to cost you a lot of money.
Perhaps you remember the TV ads that a FI ran a while ago (can't remember which one), showing a couple realizing how much they were losing by using an inappropriate arrangement. This is going to be YOU i a year or so, when you realize how much it is costing you. Unless you have well over a million dollars that you are bringing to DS, you can knock at least a full percentage point off your GIC rates, maybe as much as 1.5.
And, as the TV ad pointed out this is an ANNUAL loss.
I'm sure they will want your business. It's a walk in the park for them. Advisor and DS, ka-ching. And when those GICs mature, you can be absolutely certain he will do his best to get you to invest in something riskier, because then he will make even more money off you but you will have no guarantee. That's the way it works.

You can do what you want, and it doesn't matter to me, but I felt compelled to speak up.

August 16, 2023
1:52 am
Norman1
Members

Loonie said
@Norman1:
A year or two ago, before rates started to rise, you posted a series of tables comparing Hubert to something else. I think it was GIC rates and that the others' were discount brokers or deposit brokers. I may have misremembered. Would you be able to find these again? …

That sounds like this previous post.

August 16, 2023
7:12 am
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members

Loonie said
You are entitled to make the decision that works for you, but I have to ask, why on earth are you going with Dominion Securities? I don't always agree with AltaRed, but he has quite rightly warned you not to do this, for good reason. Assuming you are capable of making your purchases online according to your wishes and that all you want to buy is GICs, there is NO advantage to using DS and it is going to cost you a lot of money.
Perhaps you remember the TV ads that a FI ran a while ago (can't remember which one), showing a couple realizing how much they were losing by using an inappropriate arrangement. This is going to be YOU i a year or so, when you realize how much it is costing you. Unless you have well over a million dollars that you are bringing to DS, you can knock at least a full percentage point off your GIC rates, maybe as much as 1.5.
I'm sure they will want your business. It's a walk in the park for them. Advisor and DS, ka-ching. And when those GICs mature, you can be absolutely certain he will do his best to get you to invest in something riskier, because then he will make even more money off you but you will have no guarantee. That's the way it works.

You can do what you want, and it doesn't matter to me, but I felt compelled to speak up.  

Pewter claims DS would be providing an 'fee free' experience for a 'GIC only' account, free meaning other than the embedded commissions that already occurs at DIY discount brokerages such as their sister company RBC Direct Investing. I've never heard of that before but am willing to be proved wrong....that there is no other portfolio management fee.

In either case, the GIC list of issuers and yields are the same at both entities so if Pewter finds an unpleasant surprise at DS, there is minimal effort required to just shuffle over to RBC Direct Investing.

August 16, 2023
7:12 am
Pewter
Members
Forum Posts: 144

Loonie said

So far from what I have asked the broker has same rates and NO fees. But I hear ya. I am beginning to think to do it online my self.

What online do it yourself brokerage has the best selection of GIC's?.

August 16, 2023
11:44 am
Loonie
Members

Pewter said

So far from what I have asked the broker has same rates and NO fees. But I hear ya. I am beginning to think to do it online my self.

The fee you will be charged is not for buying individual GICs or cashing them. It is an overall fee based on the size of your portfolio, a percentage of your total investments. The rate gets lower as the size of your portfolio increases, but, of course, the actual amount in dollars increases.
You are (supposedly) paying this fee for the broker's advice and for him to place the orders for you.

It's possible he has (deliberately?) misunderstood your question to apply only to transaction fees.
It's possible he chose to assume you knew about admin fees.
It's even possible he plans not to charge you for the first six months or a year as an introductory offer to get your business, I suppose.

Whatever it is, if you choose to go with him, I would ask for a statement in writing on RBC stationery, signed in ink by him and, preferably, his manager, to the effect that you will not be charged any fees, costs, expenses, deductions, reductions, debits, penalties (or any other euphemisms you can think of) for at least five years after opening the account. Then read all sign-up material carefully at your leisure before signing to ensure it doesn't say something else.

Obviously I don't think you will get this, but, if you should, I'm sure we would all be interested to see it.

August 16, 2023
12:03 pm
Loonie
Members

Thanks, Norman.
Yes, this chart provides important perspective on Bill's claim about historical GIC rates at discount brokers vs direct-to-customer. See #59 above, where he claims "brokerage GIC rates are... always competitive."

I think it's worth bearing this chart in mind if you are thinking of jumping to a discount broker only for GICs.

August 16, 2023
1:16 pm
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members

I can't speak for Bill but for me, if DIY discount brokerage rates are within 15-25bp, and even 50bp, of direct to retail customers, I would say those rates are 'competitive' (all things considered basis) with direct to retail, and I would default to the one stop shopping of DIY discount brokerages. That linked chart shows one would have to 'institution hop' to get the best rates direct to retail, and that would be more challenging with registered accounts. This site is full of threads about people jumping through hoops to move between institutions.

When, and if, GIC rates are the same or better at DIY discount brokerages, and it happens occasionally, then that is the best of all worlds.

From another perspective, the linked chart is an interesting one given its date. It was clearly at/near the bottom of the interest rate cycle and it would be hard to imagine anyone buying term deposits at those rates...no matter where!

And yes, I agree with Loonie that jumping to a discount brokerage just for GICs may well find that person jumping back on direct to retail institution hopping within a year, if not a matter of months. None of us know who will be offering what on a forward basis.

August 16, 2023
4:40 pm
Norman1
Members

Loonie said

The fee you will be charged is not for buying individual GICs or cashing them. It is an overall fee based on the size of your portfolio, a percentage of your total investments. The rate gets lower as the size of your portfolio increases, but, of course, the actual amount in dollars increases.
You are (supposedly) paying this fee for the broker's advice and for him to place the orders for you.

It's possible he has (deliberately?) misunderstood your question to apply only to transaction fees.
It's possible he chose to assume you knew about admin fees.
It's even possible he plans not to charge you for the first six months or a year as an introductory offer to get your business, I suppose.

The full service brokers, like those with RBC Dominion Securities, used to have a choice on how they charge for their services. I think they still do:

1. The broker can charge an all-in management fee around 1% to 2% per annum. Stock trades would be free. Mutual funds would be series F units with no trailer. GIC's would either get a ¼% improvement or the customary ¼%-per-GIC-year commission received from the issuer credited towards the all-in management fee.
  2. Alternatively, the broker does not charge an all-in management fee. Stock trades would have a per-trade commmsion. Mutual funds would be series A units with trailer commission to broker. For GIC's, broker would receive from the issuer the customary ¼%-per-GIC-year commission.

A couple I know has registered and non-registered accounts with RBC Dominon Securities under #2 option. No direct charges from the broker. Broker seems happy with the mutual fund trailers received on the substantial amount invested in mutual funds!

I think a full-service broker could be happy with offering option #2 to a GIC-only investor if the GIC holdings were large enough. An $800,000 GIC-only portfolio with the customary ¼%-per-GIC-year commissions from the issuers will produce a similar but lumpier commission stream as a $200,000 portfolio under option #1 with a 1% per annum all-in fee.

August 16, 2023
4:45 pm
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3930

I agree, AltaRed, it depends on what you mean by "competitive". For me that top Scotia iTrade rate on Norman1's chart (as you note, a snapshot at a time when rates were unusually low, no-one was buying) might be considered competitive if it matches the midpoint or so on a list of 25 issuers whereas rate chasers who are always looking for the top rate would likely not consider it competitive at all. Guess I'm lucky, for me whether I got $720 vs $1500 interest (Norman1's chart worse-case scenario) on every $100K GIC wasn't enough to go through the bother of opening an account at a new FI, do the transfer thing, etc, given my tax bracket, interest income needs, etc.

And I was speaking about a 20+ year period, my experience with 3 of the big bank discount brokerages (never used an iTrade account) was that when I checked, which might be a few times a year, I would have been happy to buy the best rate at my discount brokerages' offerings list vs those I found for example on this site. I can't vouch for every single day (which is what Norman1's chart indicates, a one day snapshot) so "regularly" is probably better to say than "always" re my experience in determining whether they were competitive or not. And it's not possible to draw any reasonable conclusions from a one-day snapshot, for example today's iTrade top 1-year GIC rate is 5.46% and it would incorrect to conclude from that that iTrade has been that close to top rates every day for the last 20+ years (Norman1's chart clearly shows that's not the case).

At the end of the day I'd be fine with using a big bank discount broker's offerings if I bought a lot of GICs, the convenience and saved time would be worth the cost, and I'm assuming I'm not the only one. And there would be others who prefer to take the time to chase higher rates, their GIC interest income might be more important to them. The big bank discount brokers are very competitive right now and as long as you have about $15K in family business with the FI (e.g. TD) there are no fees so you can leave the account open and empty for years if you want to buy your GICs elsewhere later. I have discount broker accounts I've never used, for years now. I do agree that full service brokers are not the place to be if you're just into GICs, and the broker doesn't want you either.

August 16, 2023
8:44 pm
Loonie
Members

Norman1 said

The full service brokers, like those with RBC Dominion Securities, used to have a choice on how they charge for their services. I think they still do:

1. The broker can charge an all-in management fee around 1% to 2% per annum. Stock trades would be free. Mutual funds would be series F units with no trailer. GIC's would either get a ¼% improvement or the customary ¼%-per-GIC-year commission received from the issuer credited towards the all-in management fee.
  2. Alternatively, the broker does not charge an all-in management fee. Stock trades would have a per-trade commmsion. Mutual funds would be series A units with trailer commission to broker. For GIC's, broker would receive from the issuer the customary ¼%-per-GIC-year commission.

A couple I know has registered and non-registered accounts with RBC Dominon Securities under #2 option. No direct charges from the broker. Broker seems happy with the mutual fund trailers received on the substantial amount invested in mutual funds!

I think a full-service broker could be happy with offering option #2 to a GIC-only investor if the GIC holdings were large enough. An $800,000 GIC-only portfolio with the customary ¼%-per-GIC-year commissions from the issuers will produce a similar but lumpier commission stream as a $200,000 portfolio under option #1 with a 1% per annum all-in fee.  

Interesting. We were never offered #2 (I think back then it was Nesbitt Burns but not sure), and I didn't know it existed.
Did speak to an RBC Wealth Management guy (full service) about 8 years ago concerning a portfolio of seven figures, and he did not mention it either.
I certainly have the impression this is not the arrangement they prefer. Accordingly, if offered at all, I would expect them to try to push people to invest in other things and to use the percentage system. Seems to me it should be the customer who chooses what he/she will accept, and the advisor can take it or leave it.

August 16, 2023
9:24 pm
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members

Option #2 is still around. Spouse's siblings have RBC DS accounts and are on that option. I was on that option with both Nesbitt Burns and Scotia Mcleod some 25 years ago or so. I've heard that the trend though has been to Option #1 due to ease of administration and probably higher fees.

August 16, 2023
9:36 pm
Norman1
Members

Loonie said

Accordingly, if offered at all, I would expect them to try to push people to invest in other things and to use the percentage system. Seems to me it should be the customer who chooses what he/she will accept, and the advisor can take it or leave it.

The challenge is that the advisor will leave it or fire the client later.

Option #2 with a $1 million GIC-only portfolio would produce a commission stream around $2,500 per annum.

If the broker's personal minimum is $500,000 portfolio under option #1 with 1.25% all-in fee, then that implies a minimum commission stream of $6,250 per annum for the broker.

The $2,500 per annum falls substantially short of that $6,250 minimum.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.