Federal Budget 2023 | Page 3 | General financial discussion | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Federal Budget 2023
March 30, 2023
4:07 am
mordko
Members
Forum Posts: 824
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

phrank said

The level of collusion within our food supply is absolutely atrocious and none of the major players are at risk, even with the 4% margin. I also do not believe the 4% margin.   

Collusion relates to dairy/poultry and other supply management systems. Which has nothing to do with Galen.

I am really struggling to see how Gallen can control food prices in what is a highly competitive market. Loblaws has about 30% of the market but (unlike banking) its very easy for the customers to switch. Or for new entrants to open up a shop if the margin becomes attractive. The exception is remote areas with low population numbers which probably dont make much profit.

March 30, 2023
5:45 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3922

Galen can't control food prices, what some people expect is that he take some money out of his and shareholders' pockets to subsidize our food costs.

Just the usual politics of envy to target one rich guy. But to me the modern grocery store (along with hospitals) sits right at the top of our civilization's miracles that benefit the 99% and I can't believe how cheap it is for me to get other people (farmers all over the world, processors, commercial shippers on land, sea and air, grocery store employees, etc) to bring me my daily sustenance. For my whole life now. Hunting's way harder, and much worse food selection. So I'm happy to pay everybody involved well, I say.

March 30, 2023
7:18 am
mordko
Members

If he takes money from shareholders then shareholders can fire him. Taking money from shareholders across industry = investment money goes elsewhere. Not going to help food security.

March 30, 2023
7:22 am
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6768

Bill said
Galen can't control food prices, what some people expect is that he take some money out of his and shareholders' pockets to subsidize our food costs.

Just the usual politics of envy to target one rich guy. …

I agree. That's all it is.

People's basket of groceries goes from $100 to $110 and people are blasting Galen and Loblaws for now profiting on the basket at $4.40 instead of $4.

They are even making even sillier suggestions that maybe Loblaws should reduce its profit to the original $4. As if that $0.40 of the $10 increase is what is causing their affordability issues!

That's right. Our factory's widgets are now $80 each instead of $40 because of supply chain costs. I'll just tell the sales reps that I'm cutting their commission rate from 25% to 12.5% because they shouldn't be making that much more this year.

March 30, 2023
7:34 am
agit
Members
Forum Posts: 185

"the 4% margin"

You will be the judge

Last Week Country Harvest bread price

Nofrills $2.77
RCSS $4.49

This week

Shoppers 2 for $7.00
RCSS 2 for $8.98

Giant Tiger 2 for $5.94

March 30, 2023
7:36 am
COIN
Members
Forum Posts: 1109

Spare a thought for our banks.

Tax rate increased from 15% to 16.5%.
https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/banks-insurers-catch-a-break-as-feds-scale-back-surtax-1.1749357

Inter-corporate dividends will be fully taxable.

March 30, 2023
8:03 am
Norman1
Members

agit said
"the 4% margin"

You will be the judge

Nofrills $2.77
RCSS $4.49

This week

Shoppers 2 for $7.00
RCSS 2 for $8.98

Giant Tiger 2 for $5.94

Proves nothing except there's no collusion between Giant Tiger and Shopper's.

Shoppers Drug Mart, No Frills, and Real Canadian Superstores are all run by Galen's company. Their nicer looking stores will have higher costs and the prices reflect that.

Same with the stores in the Empire group. The price for 4% profit in their flagship Sobeys stores will be higher than the price for 4% profit in the bargain FreshCo stores.

March 30, 2023
8:58 am
mordko
Members

Why are we even challenging price variability? If they got the price/service combination wrong then they will suffer.

March 30, 2023
10:15 am
Norman1
Members

The challenge is not against price variability but against the insinuation that price variability (from 2 for $5.94 to 2 for $8.98 the same week) means there's more than 4% profit in the bread for the store selling at 2 for $8.98.

But, if they all watch each other's prices and lower the prices to 2 for $5.94 that week, then they must all be colluding!

March 30, 2023
11:05 am
cgouimet
Members
Forum Posts: 1474

agit said
"the 4% margin"

You will be the judge

Nofrills $2.77
RCSS $4.49

This week

Shoppers 2 for $7.00
RCSS 2 for $8.98

Giant Tiger 2 for $5.94  

The No Frills $2.77 was indeed last week's sale. No Frills is actually usually more expensive than Loblaws on Country Harvest as is the case this week ...

No Frills $4.49 each.

Loblaws $4.49 each, $4.00 each for 2 or more.

CGO
March 30, 2023
11:48 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2875

mordko said
Why are we even challenging price variability? If they got the price/service combination wrong then they will suffer.  

yet most hate banks ??

March 30, 2023
1:26 pm
cgouimet
Members
Forum Posts: 1474

savemoresaveoften said

yet most hate banks ??  

Because they're banks. We need banks and since they make money many hate them.

We need supermarkets and since they make money many hate them.

How dare my essential service/product suppliers profit from ME?

Makes no sense to me but that's the Me Me world nowadays!

CGO
March 30, 2023
2:44 pm
mordko
Members

savemoresaveoften said

yet most hate banks ??  

I love banks. And any business. My problem is with the oligopoly as a few oversized players are providing poor service and undermining competition. My hope is that the likes of EQ will be able to provide a full suite of services and punish big boys for bad behaviour. And providing larger CDIC insurance is part of making it an even playing field when dealing with taxpayer-backed institutions .

This isn’t an issue for retail because taxpayers are’t on the hook if Loblaws goes bust and changing service providers is far easier than changing banks.

April 2, 2023
4:01 am
RetirEd
Members
Forum Posts: 1013

Galen & Cos have stated that their grocery profits are flat, but that they are doing better on drug and other business ventures. But he's not mentioning that their gross margins ignore the kickbacks they get from manufacturers and distributors for carrying or promoting products.

They get kickbacks for how much shelf space a product gets, whether they get a special promotion, an "end cap" at the end of an aisle, how high their shelf space is, and many other charges I for one don't know about. Actual "loss leaders" are not really part of our food market system these days - the sales are paid for by subsidies from suppliers.

Beyond that, there is no sense in any merchant to continually eat all of the increased costs and see their already-thin margins whittled away to zero. By then they'd have no investors left anyway, and no business.

The "grocery rebate" is indeed a silly name for the same GST rebate boost we saw last year. And there is no dental plan - there wasn't time to set it up or even plan it! At the moment, the "dental plan" is:

/www.savvynewcanadians.com/canada-dental-benefit/

From that source:

You can only claim benefits for children under the age of 12 who do not have access to a private dental insurance plan and are a recipient of the Canada Child Benefit (CCB).

Lastly, you can claim the Canada Dental Benefit for dental service costs incurred during these two benefit payment periods:

October 1, 2022, to June 30, 2023
July 1, 2023, to June 30, 2024

For THIS year, it will be based on dental billing for kids under 12 with about a $650 maximum for the lowest-income families The plan will be set up later, planning to assist seniors and kids under 18 within the next two years - like, probably after federal elections.

The explicit reality is that both these programs (dental and grocery) are NOT based on policy, but on the NDP's need for some quick wins to campaign on. Policy will have to come later.

Not that we aren't glad to have them, but they certainly won't bring Canada into the club of nations with full dental care. The costs are shockingly high - and dentists are already boosting prices and dropping kid/senior discounts in an attempt to recoup losses during COVID-19 panic.

FOOD STAMPS: The US experience with them is overwhelmingly positive. Yes, there were a very few people who sold their stamps at a discount to buy booze, cigs or drugs, but that was almost entirely eliminated by the Electronic Benefit Card sysem used now. EBC benefits don't judge their users - if they want to skimp on other stuff, they can have lobster for their grandma's 100th birthday.

It was the famous "Hunger in America" broadcast that got food stamps going, and the program is a constant target of Repiblicans.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/h.....ed-america

The increase in taxation on cross-corporate Dividends is welcome in my book. Concentration of ownership and anti-competitive practices are a real threat to us all. Banks, like lawyers, are largely able to write their own rules to their own benefit. For banks, that is the price of a safe, stable banking system. Why we let lawyers get away with their fat cushions - and so many of them disregarding their duty to their clients - is harder for me to accept.

The increase in carbon-based taxes is a long-established policy, its level long priced into everyone's calculation. At least (in BC) it's no longer just money taken from the poor (a consumption tax) and given to the rich (income tax reductions). Some of it now goes into actual emissions reduction support.
RetirEd

RetirEd

April 2, 2023
5:10 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2875

mordko said

I love banks. And any business. My problem is with the oligopoly as a few oversized players are providing poor service and undermining competition. My hope is that the likes of EQ will be

This isn’t an issue for retail because taxpayers are’t on the hook if Loblaws goes bust and changing service providers is far easier than changing banks.  

mordko said

I love banks. And any business. My problem is with the oligopoly as a few oversized players are providing poor service and undermining competition. My hope is that the likes of EQ will be able to provide a full suite of services and punish big boys for bad behaviour. And providing larger CDIC insurance is part of making it an even playing field when dealing with taxpayer-backed institutions .

Changing banks may take more work initially, but once done, years of benefit so to speak. Also with digital banking, I don’t see it being hard….
As for grocery stores, if u decide to go to a grocery store farther away than ur current one, u ‘pay for it’ every time u go grocery shopping going forward., in terms of commuting time, etc.

But yes I certainly hope our govt won’t provide liquidity to grocery stores.

April 2, 2023
7:00 am
Norman1
Members

savemoresaveoften said

Changing banks may take more work initially, but once done, years of benefit so to speak. Also with digital banking, I don’t see it being hard….

It is not hard. In reality, most people don't want to switch. The banks know that.

The big banks know how to serve their target client base well and know not to waste effort trying to serve those who aren't their target.

Willing to pay around $10/month for banking? All the big banks have packages that provide just that.

Want banking for $0/month? The big banks rather you go to another provider.

There is a reason why people continue to pay their $4, $11.95, $16.95, or $30 per month for a RBC Royal Bank chequing account, for example, when others, like Simplii Financial, offer one for free.

But yes I certainly hope our govt won’t provide liquidity to grocery stores.

The government should actually. The federal government made billions of dollars from the Insured Mortgage Purchase Program around 2008 by offering to buy insured mortgages from the banks at a discount!

Just make sure the grocery stores are charged a premium for the support as well.

April 2, 2023
8:28 am
mordko
Members

Big Canadian banks are pretty bad at servicing customers. Its not just the $10 (or $100 cheque books). Its inefficiency in dealing with them, the time it takes, lack of knowledge among the personnel answering phones, lack of interest in properly evaluating risks, etc. Just generally poor service compared to countries with real competition in the financial industries. Obviously don’t have experience with all of them but the likes of TD and RBC are a bit like Bell in the olden days.

Good article in the latest issue of the Economist on this subject. Big banks make great profits due to inefficiencies. Right now its a massive pain in X to move all your direct debits across, etc. But things will change. Information is already becoming far more readily available, which helps.

Grocery stores seem to do a really good job compared to other countries. Having said this, we are short of low cost providers like Aldi and Lidl.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.