Federal Budget 2023 | General financial discussion | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Federal Budget 2023
March 27, 2023
10:39 am
COIN
Members
Forum Posts: 1109
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Any thoughts?

March 28, 2023
7:42 am
pwm
Headingley MB
Members
Forum Posts: 98

Watch for the "Green Energy Grifters" to line up for their handouts.

March 28, 2023
8:08 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3922

Certain groups might be happy, this relatively new law might provide some clues:
https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-17.2/FullText.html

March 28, 2023
10:52 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2875

not going to agree with groceries rebate handout to "selected"only.
Everybody needs to eat and buys groceries.....
A fair distribution would be hand it out to all but make it taxable.

March 28, 2023
11:56 am
COIN
Members

I never forget this quote from the late great Jack Layton and/or our current Prime Minister.

"Tax reductions don't benefit people who don't pay taxes." We'll soon find out who pays and who doesn't.

https://financialpost.com/personal-finance/taxes/trudeau-is-right-40-of-canadians-dont-pay-income-taxes-which-means-someone-else-is-picking-up-the-bill

March 28, 2023
12:29 pm
cgouimet
Members
Forum Posts: 1474

savemoresaveoften said

Unnecessarily inflationary

CGO
March 28, 2023
12:47 pm
HermanH
Members
Forum Posts: 1164

Every announced reduction by the BoC in the rate of inflation is just taken as an opportunity to spend more, by the Federal government.

March 28, 2023
4:05 pm
Dean
Valhalla Mountains, British Columbia
Members
Forum Posts: 1914

COIN said

Any thoughts?  

Here's a few thoughts and key takeaways, from BNN . . .

Dean

sf-cool " Live Long, Healthy ... And Prosper! " sf-cool

March 28, 2023
4:42 pm
mordko
Members
Forum Posts: 824

Falls under “not great but could have been a lot worse” category.

The biggest impact might be the increased risk of stagflation.

March 28, 2023
6:24 pm
COIN
Members

"Freeland’s budget changes tax rules for financial institutions that receive dividends from Canadian companies. Payouts will be taxed as business income, raising an expected $3.2 billion over five years"

"The Trudeau government is also changing the alternative minimum tax on high earners. It’s boosting the rate to 20.5 per cent from 15 per cent, while quadrupling the income threshold at which the tax might apply. The measure applies primarily to individuals who earn at least $300,000"

March 28, 2023
6:46 pm
cgouimet
Members

COIN said
"The Trudeau government is also changing the alternative minimum tax on high earners. It’s boosting the rate to 20.5 per cent from 15 per cent, while quadrupling the income threshold at which the tax might apply. The measure applies primarily to individuals who earn at least $300,000"  

Phew! A 'little' above my pay grade ... 🙂

CGO
March 28, 2023
7:03 pm
RetirEd
Members
Forum Posts: 1013

savemoresaveoften said:

That would probably be significantly more inflationary.

Low-income earners would pay little or no income tax anyways, BUT they might lose benefits depending on how the rebate was reported. The housing subsidy program (as implemented in BC - don't know about other jurisdictions) moved their benefits to a different place on the T1 and bumped thousands of Canadians out of some other government benefits.

The net effect would be a near-negligible benefit to most well-to-do or wealthy Canadians, but an inflationary kick and a higher hit to goverment budgeting. Freeland has indicated she's paying more attention to inflationary spending.

I'm content to see the increase in the minimum tax rate.
RetirEd

RetirEd

March 28, 2023
7:13 pm
savemoresaveoften
Members

RetirEd said
savemoresaveoften said:

That would probably be significantly more inflationary.

Low-income earners would pay little or no income tax anyways, BUT they might lose benefits depending on how the rebate was reported. The housing subsidy program (as implemented in BC - don't know about other jurisdictions) moved their benefits to a different place on the T1 and bumped thousands of Canadians out of some other government benefits.

The net effect would be a near-negligible benefit to most well-to-do or wealthy Canadians, but an inflationary kick and a higher hit to goverment budgeting. Freeland has indicated she's paying more attention to inflationary spending.

I'm content to see the increase in the minimum tax rate.
RetirEd  

I think they use gst rebate income as a threshold, which means the cutoff is at $49k-64k area. I would think someone making $50k a year is by no means well off, yet completely cut off from something label ‘groceries rebate’…
On the other end, there are many ‘employees’ which are way better off than what’s reported on their tax return, due to cash arrangement and what’s not. And they continue to happily receive all these handouts shamelessly…
I do understand there can not be a one size fit all, which is exactly why it should be universal but taxable.
My 2 cents.

March 28, 2023
8:30 pm
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6766

The Grocery Rebate should not be universal and should not be taxable income.

As RetirEd pointed out, people should not get other income-based social benefits clawed back because of it. Delivering the rebate as an enhanced GST credit does that.

It is a form of social assistance and should not be universal, just like rent subsidies and welfare are not. Government is doing the right thing by not giving the Grocery Rebate to everyone. It is not a good use of borrowed money to give, up to $467 per family or up to $234 per person, to those whom that amount of money per year is of no significance.

March 28, 2023
11:31 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9245
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

The little bit extra that people are going to get from the Grocery payout is maybe going to buy them one meal a week if they are really careful. It's a small contribution to a big problem.

I won't be getting it. That's the way it should be. I don't need it.
The PSWs who help my mum at her retirement home will get it; they deserve it and they need it.

March 29, 2023
1:14 am
cgouimet
Members

Loonie said
The little bit extra that people are going to get from the Grocery payout is maybe going to buy them one meal a week if they are really careful. It's a small contribution to a big problem.

I won't be getting it. That's the way it should be. I don't need it.
The PSWs who help my mum at her retirement home will get it; they deserve it and they need it.  

Indeed ...

CGO
March 29, 2023
1:15 am
cgouimet
Members

Norman1 said

As RetirEd pointed out, people should not get other income-based social benefits clawed back because of it. Delivering the rebate as an enhanced GST credit does that.

It is a form of social assistance and should not be universal, just like rent subsidies and welfare are not. Government is doing the right thing by not giving the Grocery Rebate to everyone. It is not a good use of borrowed money to give, up to $467 per family or up to $234 per person, to those whom that amount of money per year is of no significance.  

Indeed ...

CGO
March 29, 2023
5:11 am
savemoresaveoften
Members

Norman1 said

I am just annoyed that it’s labelled a “groceries rebate”, and every single tax payer buys groceries regardless of their income.
Just label it ‘one time low income inflation relief subsidy’

Alberta and Hong Kong did a much more fair handout when they did it in my mind, Alberta paid out their oil royalty bonanza to everybody, and makes it taxable if I was not mistaken. Not saying they should hand it out in the first place, but it’s fair. Hong Kong did similar handout 2 or 3 times for similar reason (one of them Covid relief). Everyone qualifies, and it’s up to the person to apply for it or not. Again it’s taxable.
We have a progressive tax system so those having high income are already paying a much higher tax on both dollar and percentage term each year. Whether they need the money or not is irrelevant in my mind, they are the one funding it and deserve to be part of it !

March 29, 2023
5:46 am
savemoresaveoften
Members

COIN said
"Freeland’s budget changes tax rules for financial institutions that receive dividends from Canadian companies. Payouts will be taxed as business income, raising an expected $3.2 billion over five years"

This change will make those principal protected equity linked notes much less juicy for the banks, and will reflect in the reduced potential max payout.

March 29, 2023
6:22 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3922

smso, it's important to call it a "grocery" rebate in order to subtly reference the evil large corporate grocery chains. It's not government policies, spending, etc but it's the private sector that is causing our inflation pains. Is the important subtext, imo.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.