Federal Budget 2023 | Page 2 | General financial discussion | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Federal Budget 2023
March 29, 2023
7:18 am
Winnie
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 463
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Automatic tax filing to help low-income Canadians:

The federal government is looking to help the estimated 12% of Canadians who don’t currently file tax returns take advantage of benefits they might currently be missing out on.

Starting in 2023, the Canada Revenue Agency is expected to pilot a new “automatic filing system” to help vulnerable Canadians who don’t regularly file taxes receive the benefits they’re entitled to receive.

The government also intends to expand its existing auto-file program, File My Return, which sees low-income Canadians file returns by answering a few questions over the phone.

The federal government plans to nearly triple the number of Canadians eligible for the auto-file program to two million by 2025.

March 29, 2023
7:41 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2857

Bill said
smso, it's important to call it a "grocery" rebate in order to subtly reference the evil large corporate grocery chains. It's not government policies, spending, etc but it's the private sector that is causing our inflation pains. Is the important subtext, imo.  

I guess so, except the govt continues to just target FIs and Insurance companies when it comes to extra revenue, and NOT touch groceries corporates at all even tho it is clear they are taking advantage of the food inflation to increase their profit. Government is just too afraid of the cost being pass down to the consumers... sigh

March 29, 2023
8:06 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3911

smso, not saying it's not so but I'd need more than media reports, I'd need data, lots of solid data, to agree that "it is clear" that what you allege is happening re "taking advantage".

I'll admit my bias, my data pretty much comes from my wife, she does all the food buying and preparation in our home, and she still regularly expresses surprise at media coverage and marvels at how cheaply we can eat bountiful amounts of healthy food in this country. I've no clue, aside from whenever we've travelled it seems to me, compared, she's right.

March 29, 2023
8:22 am
COIN
Members
Forum Posts: 1108

Did anybody see any mention of a "wealth tax" (I didn't)?

Regarding the "grocery rebate", how does the government know (or care) if the money is spent on groceries and not on something frivolous?

March 29, 2023
8:28 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2857

Bill said
smso, not saying it's not so but I'd need more than media reports, I'd need data, lots of solid data, to agree that "it is clear" that what you allege is happening re "taking advantage".

I'll admit my bias, my data pretty much comes from my wife, she does all the food buying and preparation in our home, and she still regularly expresses surprise at media coverage and marvels at how cheaply we can eat bountiful amounts of healthy food in this country. I've no clue, aside from whenever we've travelled it seems to me, compared, she's right.  

Yes there are still "loss leader" items regularly on the flyers, just have to adjust the weekly buying habit.

On the other hand, rather than listening to media, its from Galen's mouth. He said his stores keeps a profit margin of "merely" 4%.. Last year a $100 food cost makes $4 profit, this year a $130 food cost makes $5.20 profit. There is the extra dollar made, meaning 100% of the food inflation is passed on to the consumers, PLUS more profit to the grocery chain at the same time. Also a pack of chicken breast at reg price definitely has more than 4% profit built in (ok, that may be influenced by the media using chicken breast as an examply) 🙂

March 29, 2023
8:44 am
cgouimet
Members
Forum Posts: 1473

COIN said
Did anybody see any mention of a "wealth tax" (I didn't)?

Regarding the "grocery rebate", how does the government know (or care) if the money is spent on groceries and not on something frivolous?  

Obviously, they don't. It's a GST Credit labelled as Grocery Rebate because that's all the whining nowadays. And they don't care where it's spent except that since it's income based, the odds are are relatively high it won't be used frivolously. It it were a universal to everyone credit as some here prefer, then a lot of it would end up where it's not really needed and be inflationary. The Feds are less willing to throw vote buying $ around than the provinces ...

CGO
March 29, 2023
8:49 am
phrank
Members
Forum Posts: 312

savemoresaveoften said
....from Galen's mouth. He said his stores keeps a profit margin of "merely" 4%.. Last year a $100 food cost makes $4 profit, this year a $130 food cost makes $5.20 profit. There is the extra dollar made, meaning 100% of the food inflation is passed on to the consumers, PLUS more profit to the grocery chain at the same time. 

Basically no one gets this or calls anyone out on this. It's easy to understand if you've moved around in different real estate markets. I've sold houses in inexpensive markets where I paid 6% to the real estate agent and I've sold houses in other markets where I paid 1% because the variation in the price of the product being sold. Profit margin remaining the same is a foolish leg to stand on if you are defending profiteering during times of inflation.

Galen gets my blood boiling. That guy is such a greedy and heartless person. I used to know a family who dealt with him on his Hawaiian vacations and he'd always pressure them to give him their US dollars for his Canadian dollars and they said he always underestimated the exchange rate they'd get having to then go to their bank themself to exchange it back to USD. I also know some people who were part of a waive of layoffs he conducted because when he took over the reigns he laid off everyone over 40 and openly messaged it was because they were too old to understand his new vision. Too bad that rule doesn't now apply to him. I could say more, but I don't want to get too specific.

March 29, 2023
8:58 am
MattS
Members
Forum Posts: 142

I’m surprised nobody talking about the carbon tax set to increase April 1st that will guarantee higher grocery prices as all the manufacturers truck their goods to grocery warehouses and then trucked to each individual store. That is guaranteed additional inflation being added by the liberal government. I wish the grocery CEO’s would have brought this up when they were called in to testify

March 29, 2023
9:00 am
phrank
Members

cgouimet said

Obviously, they don't. It's a GST Credit labelled as Grocery Rebate because that's all the whining nowadays. And they don't care where it's spent except that since it's income based, the odds are are relatively high it won't be used frivolously. It it were a universal to everyone credit as some here prefer, then a lot of it would end up where it's not really needed and be inflationary. The Feds are less willing to throw vote buying $ around than the provinces ...  

I completely disagree with your view. I know of plenty of people who appear better off on paper because they budget and are fiscally and behaviorally disciplined, while others who are financially worse off waste their money for various reasons. I used to buy groceries for a single mother in my neighborhood just because people used to do those kind of things. Then after many years of us helping her out, she told my wife that she appreciated what we were doing for her, but couldn't we buy her some fun things sometimes or just give her cash so she could buy some fun things.

As well, how is people getting free money to spend on anything not inflationary? That's just not logically sound. Even if money is all spent on necessities which actually are necessities, it will still generate more inflation. The bottom line is more money means more competition for the same amount of goods.

March 29, 2023
9:06 am
mordko
Members
Forum Posts: 808
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

cgouimet said

The Feds certainly are throwing around tens of billions of taxpayer dollars at the time there aren’t any $s to spend. Thats inflationary. By making our debt burden unsustainable, we are limiting options; inflation will sooner or later become the only “solution”.

Inflation is caused by high demand combined with supply shortages. Given that many supply problems are endemic and can’t be resolved quickly (or are getting worse), it can only be dealt with by limiting demand. And that has to be done by limiting purchasing ability of poorer Canadians. Wealthy Canadians will continue buying the same food basket regardless of prices. By supporting poorer Canadians and getting deeper into debt the government is ensuring that the inflation pain will go on for longer and hurt more when the crisis comes.

P.S. I think “grocery rebate” is a meaningless political gimmick; their dental plan is far more damaging.

March 29, 2023
9:12 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3911

Making $5.20 profit on $130 is the same 4%, so no profiteering off inflation in that example.

Unpayable debt becomes payable after periods of high inflation, I agree that seems to be the strategy.

March 29, 2023
9:18 am
cgouimet
Members

phrank said

savemoresaveoften said
....from Galen's mouth. He said his stores keeps a profit margin of "merely" 4%.. Last year a $100 food cost makes $4 profit, this year a $130 food cost makes $5.20 profit. There is the extra dollar made, meaning 100% of the food inflation is passed on to the consumers, PLUS more profit to the grocery chain at the same time. 

Basically no one gets this or calls anyone out on this. It's easy to understand if you've moved around in different real estate markets. I've sold houses in inexpensive markets where I paid 6% to the real estate agent and I've sold houses in other markets where I paid 1% because the variation in the price of the product being sold. Profit margin remaining the same is a foolish leg to stand on if you are defending profiteering during times of inflation.

Galen gets my blood boiling. That guy is such a greedy and heartless person. I used to know a family who dealt with him on his Hawaiian vacations and he'd always pressure them to give him their US dollars for his Canadian dollars and they said he always underestimated the exchange rate they'd get having to then go to their bank themself to exchange it back to USD. I also know some people who were part of a waive of layoffs he conducted because when he took over the reigns he laid off everyone over 40 and openly messaged it was because they were too old to understand his new vision. Too bad that rule doesn't now apply to him. I could say more, but I don't want to get too specific.  

I get that and that's what Jugmeet keeps whining about. But at the end of the day, it's still a 4% Gross Margin business. Did you ever try to run one of those? It ain't easy.

Also good to keep in mind that's it's not just Galen, it's the entire supply chain from growers to retailers in every market.

CGO
March 29, 2023
9:24 am
cgouimet
Members

mordko said

The Feds certainly are throwing around tens of billions of taxpayer dollars at the time there aren’t any $s to spend. Thats inflationary. By making our debt burden unsustainable, we are limiting options; inflation will sooner or later become the only “solution”.

Inflation is caused by high demand combined with supply shortages. Given that many supply problems are endemic and can’t be resolved quickly (or are getting worse), it can only be dealt with by limiting demand. And that has to be done by limiting purchasing ability of poorer Canadians. Wealthy Canadians will continue buying the same food basket regardless of prices. By supporting poorer Canadians and getting deeper into debt the government is ensuring that the inflation pain will go on for longer and hurt more when the crisis comes.  

Well that's the intent and the hope.

Yes any kind of stimulus is inflationary but there are people who really need help. So, limiting the stimulus to to some sort of low income criteria should minimize the damage.

As far as whether people use it properly, telling people in these Me-Me-My-Freedom times, that's a whole different ballgame. I was at Loblaws recently and was near a couple in their mid 30's not appearing to be anywhere wealthy by any stretch. In fact, he was wearing pyjamas and sandals, and she was sporting hair curlers. They were walking through the aisles complaining about what they could and couldn't add their cart already overflowing with chip, peanuts, pickles, cookies etc and not No Name stuff either ...

CGO
March 29, 2023
11:07 am
COIN
Members

This will sound bad but I heard at least one of the talking heads on TV say instead of a grocery rebate which I think is cash the government should instead give vouchers which are redeemable only at grocery stores. Yes, yes, I know this sounds terrible.

March 29, 2023
11:23 am
cgouimet
Members

COIN said
This will sound bad but I heard at least one of the talking heads on TV say instead of a grocery rebate which I think is cash the government should instead give vouchers which are redeemable only at grocery stores. Yes, yes, I know this sounds terrible.  

Food Stamps!

CGO
March 29, 2023
12:17 pm
phrank
Members

cgouimet said

I get that and that's what Jugmeet keeps whining about. But at the end of the day, it's still a 4% Gross Margin business. Did you ever try to run one of those? It ain't easy.

Also good to keep in mind that's it's not just Galen, it's the entire supply chain from growers to retailers in every market.  

Oh yes, it's a fair point that it's not just Galen, but he is one of the most important and maybe the most important single figure in Canada. He's also easy to vilify on a personal level with how he conducts himself.

Running any business is not easy, but that doesn't change my point that when the price of a product is 10, 20, 30% more expensive, you do not need to keep the same profit margin. The level of collusion within our food supply is absolutely atrocious and none of the major players are at risk, even with the 4% margin. I also do not believe the 4% margin. I'm sure on many of the products where they reach much further into the supply chain their margin is a lot higher. Maybe 4% at the store front, but that's a small part of the big picture.

March 29, 2023
12:43 pm
COIN
Members

For members who live in Toronto, nothing in the Budget for the city. Looks like a property tax hike to cover the city's budget shortfall.

March 29, 2023
6:18 pm
BlueSky
Members
Forum Posts: 143

It must be said that this federal government has been reckless since its inception in 2015. At the end of the day, monetary and financial policies determine how badly we get hit. Not withstanding geopolitical mayhem, this government was caught unprepared for what has come our way, and so did Tiff. He's the one who slept at the wheel and woke up only after the damage has already been done. Add to that heavy taxation, the carbon tax marvel that kept creeping up. Sure, it has exacerbated the inflationary pressure, and caused a chain reaction of prices going up all around, and this is not going to ease up anytime soon. Alas, the GST payouts will alleviate some burden on low income families having to deal with this crisis. But the bottom line is that the election campaign is around the corner, and after 2 back-to- back Liberal minority governments, as a sign of increasing dissatisfaction, they really need votes. They know full well Jag is not going to prop them up forever.

March 29, 2023
8:48 pm
COIN
Members

"They know full well Jag is not going to prop them up forever."

Unless the NDP can win a majority of their own, Jagmeet will never get more power than the "tail that wags the dog".

March 29, 2023
9:32 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9235

re: Galen.
Let's not forget that Loblaw also now owns Shoppers Drug, which is huge, at least in ON. Shoppers in turn has contracted with Canada Post to operate a slew of post office outlets (often with terrible customer service). They have also scooped up all kinds of business in flu and covid vaccines and covid testing, courtesy of Ontario govt and taxpayer funded.
The high profits don't all come from groceries.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.