Inflation 2023, reflected in my household expenses | Page 3 | Your stories | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Inflation 2023, reflected in my household expenses
January 1, 2024
6:25 am
Alexandre
Members
Forum Posts: 1113
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

savemoresaveoften said

I wont let my car insurance track my speed or my location...

I would and I do, because that saves me $150/month on one of my cars. See CAA MyPace.

Also, why is that nobody mentions benefit of tracking, which is establishing an alibi.

January 1, 2024
7:21 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2883

Alexandre said

savemoresaveoften said

I would and I do, because that saves me $150/month on one of my cars. See CAA MyPace.

Also, why is that nobody mentions benefit of tracking, which is establishing an alibi.  

150 a month ? How much u paying a year after discount ?!

I did do a 3 month tracking thing (that's when the program just started few years ago at my insurance company) which saves me 25% a year which is about $300 a year. No way I will let them track me 24/7 no matter the savings. Where I go is none of their business.

Mind you using Google Maps essentially give my track away, but I don’t use it all the time.

January 1, 2024
7:30 am
Alexandre
Members

savemoresaveoften said

For that same car, before CAA MyPace: $2,426 (in 2019)
With CAA MyPace, same full coverage and same modest deductibles: $621 (in 2023)

January 1, 2024
8:10 am
BlueSky
Members
Forum Posts: 144

Alexandre said

savemoresaveoften said

Wow. Have these premiums gone up since 2019? One wonders if your savings were not reduced somewhat, by raising your premiums.

January 1, 2024
8:18 am
cgouimet
Members
Forum Posts: 1474

Alexandre said

savemoresaveoften said

Google Maps Keeps track of our phones too but without telling my insurance provider if I'm speeding ...

CGO
January 1, 2024
8:22 am
savemoresaveoften
Members

Alexandre said

savemoresaveoften said

Ah that’s mostly because u r in low mileage category and the CAA program is more like a ‘insure as u drive’ policy.
Other more traditional insurer don’t put as much emphasis on mileage driven.

January 1, 2024
8:24 am
savemoresaveoften
Members

cgouimet said

Google Maps Keeps track of our phones too but without telling my insurance provider if I'm speeding ...  

No one will need to speed if the speed limit is set at a more reasonable level, and driving test standard set at a much higher level to screen out all those mediocre drivers.
Current speed limit are based on car technology designed 50+ years ago.

January 1, 2024
8:28 am
cgouimet
Members

savemoresaveoften said

No one will need to speed if the speed limit is set at a more reasonable level, and driving test standard set at a much higher level to screen out all those mediocre drivers.
Current speed limit are based on car technology designed 50+ years ago.  

A lot of people out there that shouldn't be at the wheel at any speed. And then there are those at the wheel with a sandwich, coffee and phone ...

CGO
January 1, 2024
8:54 am
mordko
Members
Forum Posts: 832

Alexandre said

savemoresaveoften said

Thats a great deal.

January 1, 2024
9:24 am
Alexandre
Members

mordko said

Thats a great deal.  

I know! Not everyone will get such a great deal, I am sure. I am not promoting CAA MyPace, but if you have a car that drives less than $12,000 km annually - check their premiums.

The comment I was replying to was about willingness of people to allow tracking of their car by insurance company. Can't speak for everyone, but for me - I can allow that for $150/month in savings.

January 1, 2024
10:13 am
cgouimet
Members

Alexandre said

savemoresaveoften said

I don't know where you live to have paid $2400 in 2019 but my two low mileage cars not with CAA add up to $1900 for 2023.

CGO
January 1, 2024
12:41 pm
Alexandre
Members

cgouimet said

I don't know where you live to have paid $2400 in 2019 but my two low mileage cars not with CAA add up to $1900 for 2023.  

I googled and found that in Toronto (where I don't live) average premium for 2023 is $2,325.

January 1, 2024
12:49 pm
cgouimet
Members

Alexandre said

I googled and found that in Toronto (where I don't live) average premium for 2023 is $2,325.  

And you paid more than that 4 years ago not in TO.

CGO
January 1, 2024
12:56 pm
Alexandre
Members

cgouimet said

And you paid more than that 4 years ago not in TO.  

Yes, I did. With spotless driving record going back by decades, not even speeding or parking ticket.
And the only reason I found MyPace is because my then insurance provider notified me that on renewal they'll increase my premiums by 20%, to just under $3K. I checked other providers and they quoted me above $3K for same coverage and deductibles.

I think CAA just started with MyPace when I applied: the tracking device they use was shipped to me in Canada from postal address of some IT company in California.

January 23, 2024
1:42 pm
RetirEd
Members
Forum Posts: 1016

Yes, there are "good" and "bad" effects from tracking, depending on one's point of view. But I was making the point that there ARE significant effects.

I live in British Columbia, where driver's insurance is extremely steep. My cost went down with age and due to my excellent record. I don't put comprehensive on my vehicle because the premiums would be more than the valuation on my two-decade-old vehicle, despite being in a locked garage.

RetirEd

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.