Inflation 2023, reflected in my household expenses | Page 2 | Your stories | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Inflation 2023, reflected in my household expenses
December 30, 2023
6:10 am
dougjp
Members
Forum Posts: 575
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

For my situation, I don't keep detailed data on spending, however definitely grocery costs went up by double digits. Mainly this is because I was playing the points/sales flyer/volume buying deals for non-perishables &/or within best before dates "game" before this year, so I had less to gain by changing habits.

I did concentrate more on it than before which helped, sometimes changing brands in response to, IMO, obscene predatory practices. A prime example is Becel, where their prices after taking into account their shrinkflation trick rose 84% in a single year. This is comparing common sale prices by volume.

The main reason for posting though is to remind that the taxes on our greatly increased interest earnings are going to reflect on net household expense changes but with a delay effect, a large increase for 2023 and more in future years, especially 2024 for those of us who bought 1 year high rate GICs.

The main accomplishment of almost all organized protests is to
annoy people who are not in them.

December 30, 2023
6:21 am
Alexandre
Members
Forum Posts: 1113

savemoresaveoften said
Threre are still people who regularly shops at loblaws brand like NF, etc yet still dont have PCO membership. What are they thinking ???  

That really depends on how much you spend, which is often driven by the size of your household and where you shop.
Case to the point: I am getting $70 in grocery points monthly on average. Obviously, I carry points card with me and use it every time. I do align my shopping list to hit bonus point thresholds for large purchases, when they are offered.

If my points collection were under $10/mo, for example, I would not bother. Would not worth the effort for me.
That's the reason I don't bother to carry gasoline points card with me, now that I don't drive a lot.

December 30, 2023
7:01 am
mordko
Members
Forum Posts: 832

We tend to patronize local butchers and grocers and get the canned stuff from Walmart. So no loyalty points beyond credit card. Can’t say I am despondent about losing out on having to mess with the points.

December 30, 2023
7:27 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2883

Alexandre said

That really depends on how much you spend, which is often driven by the size of your household and where you shop.
Case to the point: I am getting $70 in grocery points monthly on average. Obviously, I carry points card with me and use it every time. I do align my shopping list to hit bonus point thresholds for large purchases, when they are offered.

If my points collection were under $10/mo, for example, I would not bother. Would not worth the effort for me.
That's the reason I don't bother to carry gasoline points card with me, now that I don't drive a lot.  

True if the amt is insignificant, but then all points card can be stored on the phone now, and I think majority has a smart phone by now.

I continue to tap cc over Apple Pay, as I don’t like Apple Pay assigning a different cc number, which makes refund difficult (when someone else try to do it for u and the physical card # don’t match what’s on the receipt.

December 30, 2023
7:34 am
cgouimet
Members
Forum Posts: 1474

savemoresaveoften said

Do u have the app ? That is the easiest way to see personalized deal every week. Regular I see banana, broccoli, bread etc, which are btw 10%-20% points rebate equivalent. I collect on average 500k pts each year which is $500. Most of my purchases are on sale items too. For example I regularly gets 4k pts per $15 purchase on ready to eat meal. And lots of 50% off available in the morning. Also when NF has buy 4 get 4k pts on veggie and broccoli at 1.99 per, that makes it 0.99 per when buy 4!
Mind you loblaws is only 5mins from my house so I go regularly.

I don’t even use their PCO cc as my card gives me 4% rebate which is better.

Agree no pt to buy stuff at reg price just to get pts. But if you shift your purchase, you can accumulate pts quickly.

Check out the personalized offer, that’s what u need.  

For the years 2019-2022, I collected and redeemed ~$1K/yr in PC MC & PC Opt pts. This year, I upped the shopping game a bit ... ~$1.5k collected, ~$1.7k redeemed.

So, playing the sales/flyers/points game can pay off nicely

CGO
December 30, 2023
7:56 am
dougjp
Members
Forum Posts: 575

savemoresaveoften said

I have the same card. A suggestion, next time, give this a try. Use your PCO cc as a PC Optimum card ONLY, ie; tell them you are using another card to pay. Or if in self checkout, tap the PCO cc for Optimum, NOT pay, then pick pay and use the other one. It adds up quickly.

The main accomplishment of almost all organized protests is to
annoy people who are not in them.

December 30, 2023
8:29 am
phrank
Members
Forum Posts: 312

savemoresaveoften said

Do u have the app ? That is the easiest way to see personalized deal every week. Regular I see banana, broccoli, bread etc, which are btw 10%-20% points rebate equivalent.

Agree no pt to buy stuff at reg price just to get pts. But if you shift your purchase, you can accumulate pts quickly.

Check out the personalized offer, that’s what u need.  

You don't even have to use the app, you can just use their website. As long as you check your offers before you shop, they become activated, whether you do that online through your phone or through a computer.

We save $10 every few months at these stores by doing what you do. I stopped using the PC card after they downgraded me because I wasn't spending 15k a year on their elite with 2% back. Now I just tap the other card with only 1% back and use a different card with higher return to pay.

We only buy things we would buy anyways. We don't have our buying pattern shaped like a lot of other people do.

Of course, you are selling them all your data by doing this and I used to resist rewards programs for this reason, but with AI, big data, they know everything about you by extrapolating everyone elses data, so at this point I think you're right to push this sort of behaviour as it's one of the few ways to get a little back for what they already have now anyways.

December 30, 2023
8:39 am
cgouimet
Members

Alexandre said

cgouimet said

I played the groceries points and specials game harder in 2023 and actually reduced our Groceries cost 0.5% while actually eating better.

I, too, use groceries points, noticed I collect many more now. It became way easier to hit bonus point thresholds which are based on amount spent in a single visit to grocery store. Spending went up, but they haven't adjusted thresholds yet.  

I aim to spend no more than $130 on a $125 offer and defer things that can wait if non-perishable safety stock remains.

CGO
December 30, 2023
9:46 am
mordko
Members

Alexandre said

mordko said

I am pretty bad at tracking expenditure anyway. Know my income to a cent...

I do track all expenses and income, and for many years.*
I can tell you exactly how much my household spent on groceries in 2013, for example.

------------------------------------------------------
* “Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six , result happiness.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery”
― Charles Dickens, David Copperfield  

Its a good thing to do for sure. I used to do this when the family was young and money was tight. Used Microsoft Money. Right now it just feels like not really worth it,except for curiosity. I know rough total annual expenditure and every few years do a check by category which gives an idea. Obviously we know expenses on the business side. We don’t tend to throw money around anyway and there is always a cushion.

December 30, 2023
10:59 am
savemoresaveoften
Members

phrank said
Of course, you are selling them all your data by doing this and I used to resist rewards programs for this reason, but with AI, big data, they know everything about you by extrapolating everyone elses data, so at this point I think you're right to push this sort of behaviour as it's one of the few ways to get a little back for what they already have now anyways.  

Yeah its not a big secret what I eat or buy anyway, I am not a celebrity and no one will care if I only buy milk when on sale. And like you said, with all the tracking going on and whats not, AI knows most of my 'data' anyway. Rather 'sell' it for a few percentage point then 'unknowingly' giving my data away for free 🙂

December 30, 2023
4:15 pm
mordko
Members

I kinda like that businesses know my habits and can advertise things I might actually like. This allows small businesses to compete against Amazons of this world by spending their ad budgets in a very efficient way. But I am probably the only one in Canada who holds this opinion.

December 30, 2023
5:32 pm
cgouimet
Members

mordko said
I kinda like that businesses know my habits and can advertise things I might actually like. This allows small businesses to compete against Amazons of this world by spending their ad budgets in a very efficient way. But I am probably the only one in Canada who holds this opinion.  

You're not alone. I agree with you on this.

CGO
December 30, 2023
9:36 pm
althisa
Members
Forum Posts: 105

mordko said

The issue is its not just a two way information relationship between buyer and seller or business and customer. The information gets sold to many third parties and used in ways we dont anticipate.

If you personally have not been negatively affected by this business practice, then you would might think its beneficial. Understand that many individuals experience negative consequences from personal info being collected, sold and analysed. Below are two instances of negative impacts on individuals. There are numerous examples.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2012/02/16/how-target-figured-out-a-teen-girl-was-pregnant-before-her-father-did/?sh=4516113d6668

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/women-affected-by-miscarriage-and-infertility-are-being-targeted-with-baby-ads-on-facebook_uk_5d7f7c42e4b00d69059bd88a

To bring this back to loyalty cards, discounts from using loyalty cards for groceries etc., this is why individuals like me are hesitant to use them as they enable micro tracking of purchase data. The few hundred dollars of savings are not worth the risks.

December 31, 2023
5:11 am
savemoresaveoften
Members

althisa said

The issue is its not just a two way information relationship between buyer and seller or business and customer. The information gets sold to many third parties and used in ways we dont anticipate.

If you personally have not been negatively affected by this business practice, then you would might think its beneficial. Understand that many individuals experience negative consequences from personal info being collected, sold and analysed. Below are two instances of negative impacts on individuals. There are numerous examples.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2012/02/16/how-target-figured-out-a-teen-girl-was-pregnant-before-her-father-did/?sh=4516113d6668

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/women-affected-by-miscarriage-and-infertility-are-being-targeted-with-baby-ads-on-facebook_uk_5d7f7c42e4b00d69059bd88a

To bring this back to loyalty cards, discounts from using loyalty cards for groceries etc., this is why individuals like me are hesitant to use them as they enable micro tracking of purchase data. The few hundred dollars of savings are not worth the risks.  

Depends on the individual, but someone tracking my grocery micro purchase does not expose me to any risk that can ‘harm’ me. If someone track my vacation purchase to determine when I am away to break into my house, that’s a different story. That don’t stop me from googling and purchasing vacation online tho. Living is full of risk, can’t avoid everything and being too paranoid.

December 31, 2023
6:48 am
mordko
Members

althisa said

To me, the concerns expressed in both your links are underwhelming. Who cares the shop knows someone is pregnant? Like you say, if it weirdly bothers you, don’t give them your address and don’t use loyalty cards so they won’t send coupons.

And if the lady was freaked out by baby pictures she could have found out how to click on the top right corner to stop it showing. I know it, clearly not a secret. Surely its less effort to google and spend 1 min reading than going to a journalist to complain? Worst case, she really does not HAVE to use the hated free product called Facebook. Nobody is forcing her.

December 31, 2023
10:38 am
althisa
Members
Forum Posts: 105

mordko said

To me, the concerns expressed in both your links are underwhelming. Who cares the shop knows someone is pregnant? Like you say, if it weirdly bothers you, don’t give them your address and don’t use loyalty cards so they won’t send coupons.

And if the lady was freaked out by baby pictures she could have found out how to click on the top right corner to stop it showing. I know it, clearly not a secret. Surely its less effort to google and spend 1 min reading than going to a journalist to complain? Worst case, she really does not HAVE to use the hated free product called Facebook. Nobody is forcing her.  

As I have indicated in my post, these are two examples out of many. "Below are two instances of negative impacts on individuals. There are numerous examples."

As I have also indicated, "If you personally have not been negatively affected by this business practice, then you would might think its beneficial".

The main point is that people have been discussing the practice of purchase microtracking as a benefit only, without risk. I provided some examples where the risks outweigh the benefits for some individuals, and often groups of people.

December 31, 2023
11:49 am
phrank
Members
Forum Posts: 312

mordko said
..if it weirdly bothers you, don’t give them your address and don’t use loyalty cards so they won’t send coupons.  

Why does someones preferences different from yours have to be weird?

December 31, 2023
9:46 pm
RetirEd
Members
Forum Posts: 1016

mordko: If that little local business uses your info to buy on-line ads from Amazon, they are feeding the beast that's eating their lunch!

Personal tracking can cost the buyer a lot if it results in loss of insurance, higher premiums or lower coverage. Or denial of insurance claims. Or loan denial or higher rates. Think of how The Donald faked his financial numbers to get cheaper loans, putting the lenders at risk.

On-line tracking can affect the price you're offered on purchases, especially travel or leasing.

Web users who use Apple computers are offered worse deals on some web sites, which consider them foolish with their money.

Gambling sites can gouge and screw people struggling to get the bet monkey off their backs.

Purchases can attract the attention of law enforcement or foreign government intervention - such as blackmail.

There are a LOT of ways targeting can damage users! I was happy to use the old Air Miles card, but not the newer Scene Plus, which is more closely tied into info gathering and sale.

RetirEd

January 1, 2024
4:45 am
mordko
Members

RetirEd said
mordko: If that little local business uses your info to buy on-line ads from Amazon, they are feeding the beast that's eating their lunch!

Personal tracking can cost the buyer a lot if it results in loss of insurance, higher premiums or lower coverage. Or denial of insurance claims. Or loan denial or higher rates. Think of how The Donald faked his financial numbers to get cheaper loans, putting the lenders at risk.

On-line tracking can affect the price you're offered on purchases, especially travel or leasing.

Web users who use Apple computers are offered worse deals on some web sites, which consider them foolish with their money.

Gambling sites can gouge and screw people struggling to get the bet monkey off their backs.

Purchases can attract the attention of law enforcement or foreign government intervention - such as blackmail.

There are a LOT of ways targeting can damage users! I was happy to use the old Air Miles card, but not the newer Scene Plus, which is more closely tied into info gathering and sale.  

Are you saying that people should be able to lie when taking out insurance like Trump did without any consequences? And that they should be able to make fraudulent claims without being investigated and caught?

With regards to purchases from an Apple computers being more expensive on some sites, this is different from businesses like Target or FB tracking habits to target advertising… but could you provide a reference?

Agree re “feeding the beast” if small vendors use Amazon. Was referring to them using targeted Google or FB ads, which I think is a great service.

January 1, 2024
5:36 am
savemoresaveoften
Members

RetirEd said
mordko:
Personal tracking can cost the buyer a lot if it results in loss of insurance, higher premiums or lower coverage. Or denial of insurance claims. Or loan denial or higher rates.

Personal tracking is totally different from a rewards program that tracks one's grocery purchase. I wont let my car insurance track my speed or my location, but Loblaws can track which store i go to.

As for purchases that attract attention of law enforcement, if those purchases are questionable, to me it IS a good thing its being tracked. All my purchases have nothing to hide and are with clean money, so I dont care who tracks me or not.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.