CDIC protection for WS Cash accounts increased to 500K | Page 6 | Wealthsimple | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
CDIC protection for WS Cash accounts increased to 500K
April 14, 2024
8:35 am
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members
Forum Posts: 4247
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
101sp_Permalink sp_Print

savemoresaveoften said

If one has both WS cash and investment account, one will receive 2 separate statements monthly.

This is on the last page of the WS monthly cash account statement:

Our Cash product is offered by Wealthsimple Investments Inc. (“WSII”), a member of the Canadian Investment Regulatory Organization, and Wealthsimple
Payments Inc., a Financial Transactions and Reports Analysis Centre of Canada (“FINTRAC”) registered money services business. The funds you add to a Cash
account (the “Funds”) are ultimately held securely in trust with a single or multiple members of the Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation (“CDIC”). CDIC
protects eligible deposits held at CDIC member institutions in case of a member institution’s failure. Wealthsimple Payments Inc. and WSII are not CDIC
member institutions. Under the trust framework, CDIC insures eligible cash balances up to $100,000 per beneficiary, per member institution, provided certain
disclosure rules are met. Coverage is free and automatic. Funds must be spread across at least 3 CDIC member institutions in order for up to $300,000 in
deposits to benefit from applicable CDIC coverage. The advertised interest rate for the Cash Account is derived from interest earned by Wealthsimple on the
funds. The Funds are settled with any CDIC member(s) one business day following the date that Funds are reflected in the Account.

This is part of the statement on the bottom of the WS monthly equity account:

STATEMENT NOTES
Client accounts for Wealthsimple Trade and Wealthsimple Invest held at Wealthsimple Investments Inc. are
protected by CIPF within specified limits in the event Wealthsimple Investments Inc. becomes insolvent. A
brochure describing the nature and limits of coverage is available upon request. http://www.cipf.ca.
Free credit balances in non-registered accounts represent funds payable on demand which, although properly
recorded in our books, are not segregated and may be used in the conduct of our business. Cash balances in
registered accounts are held in trust by Canadian Western Trust. Occasional failed deliveries from executing
brokers can cause shares to be desegregated based on approved segregation logic.
A statement of financial condition and a current list of directors and officers for Wealthsimple Investments Inc. will
be furnished upon request. Clients in British Columbia are entitled to certain additional information about
Wealthsimple Investments Inc., including information about commissions and fees that we charge, and about any
administrative proceedings that may relate to the firm or its staff.  

Thank you, savemoresaveoften. This refutes the theory Norman1 has articulated above. This is not to discredit or admonish what Norman1 has said, as he has just tried to interpret based on confusingly and, critically, vaguely worded public legal agreement language on their public websites.

As I suspected, the Cash account is held by both Wealthsimple Investments and Wealthsimple Payments. For example, when transactions are charged against the card, a pledge against those funds is credited to Wealthsimple Payments for end of day or next business day settlement, at which point the funds would be 'withdrawn' from the WSII account balance and credited to Wealthsimple Payments to settle the outstanding debit balance. But, in any case, because the accounts themselves are held within one's WSII portfolio, CIPF coverage thus applies.

I still wish they provided greater disclosure in terms of the financial institutions where the funds are held, but I guess this allows them to move funds around more quickly within their pooled trust accounts to take advantage of the best rates on offer.

Cheers,
Doug

April 14, 2024
11:40 am
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6800
102sp_Permalink sp_Print

Doug said

Thank you, savemoresaveoften. This refutes the theory Norman1 has articulated above. This is not to discredit or admonish what Norman1 has said, as he has just tried to interpret based on confusingly and, critically, vaguely worded public legal agreement language on their public websites.

No, they do not. What you wrote and what you have been writing are inconsistent with what savemoresaveoften has taken the time to share, the Wealthsimple Cash account agreement, and how CDIC is set up.

CDIC has no jurisdiction over money services buisiness Wealthsimple Payment or investment dealer Wealthsimple Investment. Neither are CDIC members. Funds sent to either are not deposits for the purposes of CDIC insurance.

There's no clarity issue with the legal documents. Neither with the Wealthsimple Cash User Agreement nor with the two documents savemoresaveoften has shared.

The user agreement clearly says the balances of the Cash Account are with Wealthsimple Payment Inc. The agreement even goes as far as saying that if one has direct deposits set up to the Cash Account, then the direct deposits go to one's direct deposit/PAD account with Wealthsimple Investments first. Then, Wealthsimple Investments will automatically transfer the funds to the Cash Account that is with Wealthsimple Payment Inc.

As well, the Wealthsimple Investment statement text savemoresaveoften shared clearly says that Wealthsimple Investment's cash balances are not segregated, like such cash balances aren't with most other investment dealers:

Free credit balances in non-registered accounts represent funds payable on demand which, although properly recorded in our [Wealthsimple Investments Inc.] books, are not segregated and may be used in the conduct of our business.

Clearly, balances in one's Wealthsimple Cash Account cannot be a cash balance with Wealthsimple Investment Inc. Either one's Cash Account balance is (1) ultimately held in trust with some CDIC members, as the account agreement and the account's monthly statement says, or (2) not segregated and used in a non-CDIC member's day-to-day business. Can't be both.

What I described is correct. The balance in a Wealthsimple Cash Account is owed to the account holder by Wealthsimple Payments Inc., not by Wealthsimple Investment and not by any of the partner banks involved.

That is consistent with the full account agreement and with the texts from account statements that savemoresaveoften shared. That is more than just consistent with the one sentence "Our Cash product is offered by Wealthsimple Investments Inc. (“WSII”), a member of the Canadian Investment Regulatory Organization, and Wealthsimple Payments Inc., a Financial Transactions and Reports Analysis Centre of Canada (“FINTRAC”) registered money services business."

April 14, 2024
12:03 pm
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members

I'm going to cut out the multi-threaded quotes here as there is no sense quoting and re-quoting the same thing.

Firstly, I never claimed Wealthsimple Payments, as a money services business, was eligible for CDIC deposit insurance. Nor has Wealthsimple. So I'm not sure why you bring that up. The CDIC deposit insurance is through one or more CDIC members (ostensibly either CIBC, Scotiabank, National Bank, and/or Canadian Western Bank or Canadian Western Trust) in which Wealthsimple Payments, Inc., has entered into a pooled trust deposit account relationship for end beneficiaries. CDIC deposit insurance does extend to pooled trust accounts, so long as reporting requirements by the CDIC member in connection with the trust agreement sponsor (Wealthsimple Payments in this case) are met. Thus, the discussion around segregated and unsegregated balances in non-registered accounts is a moot point because I believe it's quite clear that Wealthsimple Cash balances are segregated except for the amount equal to the as yet unsettled card balance transactions, for which that portion would not be CDIC insured, yes. (Note that there is a difference between "free credit balances" in a Wealthsimple Investments account and a Wealthsimple Cash account.)

Secondly, in both cases, CIPF coverage applies, for which I believe you have also incorrectly asserted that because the account/card is issued by Wealthsimple Payments, CIPF does not apply. In fact, by your own post above referencing the PAD agreement, Wealthsimple Cash is considered part of Wealthsimple Investments, a CIPF member. The only portion excepted from CIPF coverage would, again, be the unsettled amount of transactions occurring on the Wealthsimple Cash Card, the prepaid credit card product issued by Wealthsimple Payments, Inc.

Cheers,
Doug

April 14, 2024
6:39 pm
InterestThis
Members
Forum Posts: 284

It's odd to be arguing over something like this, which is clearly settled for anyone who has read up on it with a rational mind.
Meanwhile, there are far more serious risks to people's cash savings that are minimized or denied.
But that is how the cookie crumbles, same as "jailhouse lawyers" who consider themselves experts.

April 14, 2024
6:54 pm
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members
105sp_Permalink sp_Print

It's not 'settled' though. I've articulated how Wealthsimple Cash is CDIC insured and protected by CIPF. It's a newer product that breaks many of our historical moulds because it's actually two accounts in one, issued by different legal entities, one of which deposits the funds into pooled trust accounts at one or more CDIC members, and the other of which is a spending card product.

Cheers,
Doug

April 14, 2024
7:01 pm
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2898
106sp_Permalink sp_Print

Not cash related, but WS also offer sec lending (one can opt in or out) and share with the account holder 50/50 of the proceed. However the securities that are borrowed out under sec lending are not covered under CIPF.

April 15, 2024
12:46 am
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9272

We are now 107 post into this discussion, and I really have no idea, despite all the efforts to explain it, where my money would be if I deposited it to WS Cash or if it would be consistently insured.

As far as I can make out, WS is a fintech, considers itself better than a bank (see recent interview with CEO in Toronto Star - which I consider BS); fintechs are unregulated (last time I looked anyway); WS refuses to tell customers where their money is (while claiming it is in a trust account in your name - so why not tell us where it is if you know?; and their explanations are not convincing.

When I run into this lack of transparency and mumbo-jumbo with any other FI, I stop reading and move on. I don't see this as any different.

The interview in the Toronto Star (I think it was in the last 3 days) is worth looking at, not because it's a good interview (it's weak, and interviewer did not do their homework), but because the CEO just uses this as an advertising opportunity and doesn't answer the limited questions adequately. I found him to be very slick, and not someone i would trust.

For these reasons, I wouldn't touch it. Lots of people will, however; the guy clearly knows his target audience.

April 15, 2024
4:28 am
davidgeorge
Members
Forum Posts: 304
108sp_Permalink sp_Print

davidgeorge said
I don't understand why people want to put funds on WS savings if you don't use WS as a stock trading platform. There are much higher interest savings account around such as DUCA (6%), Tangerine (5.5%, 5.25%), ManuLife 5.75%.  

If I trade stocks, I will use WS because I can move unused fund in trading account to cash account to earn 4% interest. Is the following statement true? I can move available balance in trading account to cash account every day after trading hours to earn interest, and move fund back to trading account next day before trading hours to do trade stocks. This would be very beneficial to day traders.

April 15, 2024
5:11 am
savemoresaveoften
Members

davidgeorge said

If I trade stocks, I will use WS because I can move unused fund in trading account to cash account to earn 4% interest. Is the following statement true? I can move available balance in trading account to cash account every day after trading hours to earn interest, and move fund back to trading account next day before trading hours to do trade stocks. This would be very beneficial to day traders.  

That's exactly what I do and use WS for (not day trade but cash I intend for trading I leave it there.) I wont use it as a parking place for $$$$ as daily account like some used it for. Whether it's 4 or 4.5 or 5% (depends on how much assets u have with them etc.) I just don't feel comfortable not knowing 100% how they "manage" the cash.

For equity trading, keep in mind they don't offer every single name (no pref shares for example last time I checked) and their app is primitive and more catered to the meme stock crowd (aka gamestop type) users in my mind.

April 15, 2024
7:12 am
Norman1
Members
110sp_Permalink sp_Print

Doug said

Firstly, I never claimed Wealthsimple Payments, as a money services business, was eligible for CDIC deposit insurance. Nor has Wealthsimple. So I'm not sure why you bring that up. The CDIC deposit insurance is through one or more CDIC members (ostensibly either CIBC, Scotiabank, National Bank, and/or Canadian Western Bank or Canadian Western Trust) in which Wealthsimple Payments, Inc., has entered into a pooled trust deposit account relationship for end beneficiaries. CDIC deposit insurance does extend to pooled trust accounts, so long as reporting requirements by the CDIC member in connection with the trust agreement sponsor (Wealthsimple Payments in this case) are met. …

That doesn't matter. There's no CDIC coverage for the balances owed to the account holder of a Wealthsimple Cash account because the balances are owed by Wealthsimple Payments Inc. and not owed by any of the partner banks.

Trust bank accounts are in the name of the trustee. The trust accounts are not in the name of any beneficiaries. There's no legal relationship between the bank and the beneficiaries of a trust bank account. Consequently, there's no legal relationship between the partner banks and the Wealthsimple Cash account holders.

Should there ever be a CDIC payout for balances of those trust accounts, CDIC will pay out to the trustee, Wealthsimple Payments Inc., not to any of the disclosed beneficiaries of the trust accounts. Disclosing those beneficiaries to the banks multiplies the CDIC coverage on the balances of those trust accounts for the trustee Wealthsimple Payments Inc. Disclosing doesn't extend CDIC coverage to any balances of accounts in the trustee's books that the trustee owes to anyone, including beneficiaries.

Secondly, in both cases, CIPF coverage applies, for which I believe you have also incorrectly asserted that because the account/card is issued by Wealthsimple Payments, CIPF does not apply. In fact, by your own post above referencing the PAD agreement, Wealthsimple Cash is considered part of Wealthsimple Investments, a CIPF member. The only portion excepted from CIPF coverage would, again, be the unsettled amount of transactions occurring on the Wealthsimple Cash Card, the prepaid credit card product issued by Wealthsimple Payments, Inc.

The Wealthsimple Cash Card is issued by KOHO Financial, not by Wealthsimple Payments Inc. or by Wealthsimple Investments Inc.

The card provides a way to access up to $5,000 each day of the balance in a Wealthsimple Cash Account. The card does not change who owes the balance in a Wealthsimple Cash Account to the account holder.

The Direct Deposit/PAD part of the account agreement does not say the account is part of Wealthsimple Investment Inc. The agreement says if one direct deposits or uses PAD on the Cash Account, then the direct deposit or pre-authorized debit is routed through Wealthsimple Investment Inc. to the Cash Account with Wealthsimple Payments Inc.

Did you even look at the agreements? It looks like you just making things up as you go along!

April 15, 2024
8:10 am
Norman1
Members

Loonie said
We are now 107 post into this discussion, and I really have no idea, despite all the efforts to explain it, where my money would be if I deposited it to WS Cash or if it would be consistently insured.

As far as I can make out, WS is a fintech, considers itself better than a bank (see recent interview with CEO in Toronto Star - which I consider BS); fintechs are unregulated (last time I looked anyway); WS refuses to tell customers where their money is (while claiming it is in a trust account in your name - so why not tell us where it is if you know?; and their explanations are not convincing.

Where my money ends up actually is not as important as who owes the money back to me!

In many cases, the money deposited in a bank is long gone and not in one of the bank's vaults for safekeeping. Money for a 5 year GIC, for example, isn't sitting in a vault for five years. The money is often lent out by the bank to a borrower who is or looks likely to repay the bank in five years with interest.

The question is not

Loonie said

It's 3a.m. do you know where your money is?

Instead, it would be better to ask the question "It's 3 a.m. Do you know who owes you that account balance back?"

April 15, 2024
9:08 am
JohnnyCash
Members
Forum Posts: 236
112sp_Permalink sp_Print

I've noticed this thread and its posts seem to be going around in circles with no clarity, or definitive conclusion. All I need to know is if Wealthsimple is doing something illegal, or committing a crime? If so, shouldn't the relevant authorities be made aware?

April 15, 2024
9:55 am
mordko
Members
Forum Posts: 848
113sp_Permalink sp_Print

If WS was doing something illegal, we’d be reading about it in a newspaper under “news from the court”.

Instead we have a chat room with a few of us being weirdly fond of big banks regardless of how badly they treat clients, and picking on literally nothing to badmouth a relatively new fintech company offering a bunch of competitive services.

Not sure I get Canadian love affair with the “colour” banks. They are just bad, bad, bad in my limited experience but to each their own.

April 15, 2024
10:03 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
114sp_Permalink sp_Print

JohnnyCash said
I've noticed this thread and its posts seem to be going around in circles with no clarity, or definitive conclusion. All I need to know is if Wealthsimple is doing something illegal, or committing a crime? If so, shouldn't the relevant authorities be made aware?  

I for one dont know exactly how the cash is being handled, but dont think its "illegal" nor commiting a crime. Its so well advertised by WS that any authority would be blind not to be aware of it, nor investigate and put out warning if it has any potential illegal component within it.
My simple mind does tell me if its 100% CDIC directly coverage to me , it cant be $100k exposure within WS, without counting money that I already have with the same FI. It is against what CDIC is saying all along when it comes to a cap of $100k per name per institution combined (out of joint acct, registered acct special cases.)
I have been proven wrong many times, but I dont need to take this unknown risk when it comes to parking big cash with WS. I do have five-figure there, an amount I feel comfortable "losing" if WS folds next day. At the end of the day, risk what you can afford to lose.

April 15, 2024
10:33 am
InterestThis
Members

The thread is not going in circles for those with a rational evidence-based mind and thinking process.
Would not waste even one second listening to uninformed people who don't even use Wealthsimple, speculating about things they don't understand.

Some people are making excellent INCOME TODAY (withdrawing, spending, investing) using the WS products, including the Cash slush-fund at times, combined with the brokerage, TFSA, RRSP, tax and other services.
Lesson of the day, don't take advice from "jailhouse lawyers".

The Star article on WS is just fine, its a standard article. https://www.thestar.com/business/no-it-s-not-a-bank-but-wealthsimple-says-it-feels-the-pain-of-younger/article_531d2cee-f115-11ee-845c-07f2a610f931.html

April 15, 2024
10:39 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
116sp_Permalink sp_Print

InterestThis said
The thread is not going in circles for those with a rational evidence-based mind and thinking process.
Would not waste even one second listening to uninformed people who don't even use Wealthsimple, speculating about things they don't understand.

Some people are making excellent INCOME TODAY (withdrawing, spending, investing) using the WS products, including the Cash slush-fund at times, combined with the brokerage, TFSA, RRSP, tax and other services.
Lesson of the day, don't take advice from "jailhouse lawyers".

The Star article on WS is just fine, its a standard article. https://www.thestar.com/business/no-it-s-not-a-bank-but-wealthsimple-says-it-feels-the-pain-of-younger/article_531d2cee-f115-11ee-845c-07f2a610f931.html  

vow the biggest fan boy yet on here 😀

April 15, 2024
3:26 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9272

Norman1 said

Loonie said

Where my money ends up actually is not as important as who owes the money back to me!

In many cases, the money deposited in a bank is long gone and not in one of the bank's vaults for safekeeping. Money for a 5 year GIC, for example, isn't sitting in a vault for five years. The money is often lent out by the bank to a borrower who is or looks likely to repay the bank in five years with interest.

The question is not

Loonie said

It's 3a.m. do you know where your money is?

Instead, it would be better to ask the question "It's 3 a.m. Do you know who owes you that account balance back?"  

Yes, I am aware of all this, and actually thought someone might make the bank comparison. This is valid. The difference is that with a bank, we do know our money is retrievable where we placed it, in a regulated bank, and that it is CDIC insured to max. And that is what we are used to, so we think of our bank "deposit" as being in the bank even though we know it has been loaned out etc. The bank owes us. So does Wealthsimple, but without the regulatory oversight and apparently without the insurance.
WS could have billions in the bank trust account, but only 100K of it CDIC insured; is that right? To claim that your 500K is CDIC insured seems very misleading to me, but I can see why it's attractive.

This makes me think of those "bare trusts" that we were discussing earlier, wherein all beneficiaries have to be identified. In this case we do know that it is a trust, unlike with joint accounts. Does that have any application here?

(BTW, I have yet to be convinced that the money you deposit all goes into a trust at banks. Which 5 banks regularly pays interest in excess of 4 to 5%, allowing for profit?)

There are just too many things here that don't add up for me.

The Star article said CEO and co-founder's previous experience was with an online genealogy start-up that he sold to ancestry.com. This does not inspire confidence. What will it be next?

April 15, 2024
3:56 pm
InterestThis
Members
118sp_Permalink sp_Print

savemoresaveoften said

vow the biggest fan boy yet on here 😀  

I have said I don't shill for companies. If WS does bad things, then it needs to be called out.
But some of us have used the site thousands of times and are getting excellent results, while some others are giving out incorrect, false and misleading information.
But its a good lesson in life, with the blind leading the blind and wandering in circles.

April 15, 2024
5:06 pm
savemoresaveoften
Members
119sp_Permalink sp_Print

InterestThis said
But some of us have used the site thousands of times and are getting excellent results, while some others are giving out incorrect, false and misleading information.

Not saying WS is like Lehman nor WS is run by a bunch of liars, but Lehman mini bond investors were all getting excellent results (aka return) and proclaim how safe their money were, just saying.

April 15, 2024
6:49 pm
Norman1
Members

Loonie said

WS could have billions in the bank trust account, but only 100K of it CDIC insured; is that right? To claim that your 500K is CDIC insured seems very misleading to me, but I can see why it's attractive.

A trust account comes with $100,000 of CDIC insurance if the trustee doesn't disclose the beneficiaries to the CDIC member. If the trustee does disclose the required info about 10,000 beneficiaries, then the CDIC insurance could be multiplied to 10,000 x $100,000 = $1 billion for the trustee.

Wealthsimple Payments Inc. now has five CDIC member bank partners. So, the $500,000 from one Wealthsimple Cash account could be distributed to trust accounts at five different CDIC members.

This makes me think of those "bare trusts" that we were discussing earlier, wherein all beneficiaries have to be identified. In this case we do know that it is a trust, unlike with joint accounts. Does that have any application here?

Not really. CDIC members and CDIC don't really get into whether or not the trust account is part of a legally valid trust.

(BTW, I have yet to be convinced that the money you deposit all goes into a trust at banks. Which 5 banks regularly pays interest in excess of 4 to 5%, allowing for profit?)

RBC Royal Bank currently pays 5.2% on their Prime-Linked Cashable GIC's with at least $1 million.

It's Wealthsimple Payments Inc. that's paying that interest on the Wealthsimple Cash Account balances. It is not disclosed what interest the banking partners pay Wealthsimple Payments Inc. on the balances in those trust accounts. The account agreement says the account holder agrees that any interest earned on those trust accounts belongs to Wealthsimple Payments.

Please write your comments in the forum.