FINTRAC imposes $676,500 administrative penalty on Wealth One Bank of Canada | Page 4 | Wealth One Bank of Canada | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
FINTRAC imposes $676,500 administrative penalty on Wealth One Bank of Canada
March 31, 2023
2:11 pm
Dean
Valhalla Mountains, British Columbia
Members
Forum Posts: 1914
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Given what's been going on at WOBoC and elsewhere recently (SVB, CS, etc.), I wouldn't touch WOBoC with a 10' Pole, regardless of their GIC rates and CDIC coverage. sf-confused

'Good Luck' to those who Dare ... I'm guessing they're gonna need it ❗

My Two Nickels,

Dean

sf-cool " Live Long, Healthy ... And Prosper! " sf-cool

March 31, 2023
2:47 pm
AndreyG
Members
Forum Posts: 54

I got my GIC with Wealth One bank matured this March 28th. I got two postdated checks (principal and interest), cashed both in different banks. Both checks cashed no problems seemingly.

March 31, 2023
6:46 pm
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6768

That's not surprising their cheques were still accepted. Wealth One Bank wasn't insolvent.

The bank's recent fine was for not following some procedures to detect and prevent money laundering and terrorist financing.

April 10, 2023
8:28 am
semi-retired
Members
Forum Posts: 232

Had a GIC come due today.Interest was in my checking account at 9:00 AM this morning.Principal check was at Scrivens Broker in Ottawa where I just came from rolling it over to a 2 year GIC at 5.42%.No proplems with Wealth One Bank.Principal & interest are below the CDIC level.

April 10, 2023
12:08 pm
canadian.100
Members
Forum Posts: 943

semi-retired said
Had a GIC come due today.Interest was in my checking account at 9:00 AM this morning.Principal check was at Scrivens Broker in Ottawa where I just came from rolling it over to a 2 year GIC at 5.42%.No proplems with Wealth One Bank.Principal & interest are below the CDIC level.  

Did you stick with WealthOne for the new 2 year GIC? or did you go with a different FI? I assume you can just endorse the redemption cheque and your agent Scrivens can use that cheque to apply to purchase of the new 2 year GIC. 5.42% is a good rate these days.

April 10, 2023
1:32 pm
semi-retired
Members

canadian.100 said

Did you stick with WealthOne for the new 2 year GIC? or did you go with a different FI? I assume you can just endorse the redemption cheque and your agent Scrivens can use that cheque to apply to purchase of the new 2 year GIC. 5.42% is a good rate these days.  

The 5.42% for 2 years was also with Wealth One.I added a bit more principal but divided the amount between a personal GIC & a Joint GIC for complete CDIC coverage including interest.My principal check was applied to the purchase.Haventree Bank was paying 5.45% for 2 year,but have a GIC already with them & it would be a pain to wait for the Wealth One check to clear,drive back downtown Ottawa to Scrivens to open another HavenTree GIC.Would lose a weeks int in doing that..03% int isn't a major loss.

April 10, 2023
2:39 pm
GR
Members
Forum Posts: 632

semi-retired:

In general, a GIC broker should be able to take a maturity cheque payable to you from one financial institution and deposit it to another financial institution to purchase a new GIC for you, without you needing to deposit the cheque at your bank and issue another cheque to the financial institution you are investing with now.

April 10, 2023
4:22 pm
semi-retired
Members

GR said
semi-retired:

In general, a GIC broker should be able to take a maturity cheque payable to you from one financial institution and deposit it to another financial institution to purchase a new GIC for you, without you needing to deposit the cheque at your bank and issue another cheque to the financial institution you are investing with now.  

Good to know.I didn't even think of asking.Thanks for the update.I have another GIC coming up in 2 weeks & will use this info.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.