FINTRAC imposes $676,500 administrative penalty on Wealth One Bank of Canada | Page 2 | Wealth One Bank of Canada | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
FINTRAC imposes $676,500 administrative penalty on Wealth One Bank of Canada
March 7, 2023
3:41 pm
Lodown
Members
Forum Posts: 193
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

bhuc said

"The murky beginnings of a new Canadian bank "
from Globe and Mail .....PUBLISHED NOVEMBER 24, 2016

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/the-murky-beginnings-of-a-new-canadian-bank/article33034258/

After reading the 2016 article and this latest event, I would recommend staying away from this bank. Why play with fire? Maybe the next thing we see in the near future is this headline "Canadian bank declares bankruptcy after x years in business"

March 7, 2023
6:17 pm
HermanH
Members
Forum Posts: 1159

I had my principal under CDIC with WealthOne, but the interest was not. As my first annual payment was not yet due, I asked them to pay me out annually instead of compounding the interest. Looks like I made a prudent decision.

March 7, 2023
6:23 pm
Iconoclast
Banned
Forum Posts: 23

Lodown said

After reading the 2016 article and this latest event, I would recommend staying away from this bank. Why play with fire? Maybe the next thing we see in the near future is this headline "Canadian bank declares bankruptcy after x years in business"  

As stated earlier WO is a CDIC insured bank. It is no more or less risky than any other bank if you are under $100K

March 7, 2023
6:36 pm
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members
Forum Posts: 2869

It is less about risk (with CDIC insurance coverage) than about supporting a potentially rogue institution that may believe it is above the law and/or the inconvenience about funds being potentially tied up should the bank cease operations.

March 7, 2023
6:37 pm
Lodown
Members
Forum Posts: 193

Iconoclast said

As stated earlier WO is a CDIC insured bank. It is no more or less risky than any other bank if you are under $100K  

You do realize, CDIC reimbusement is not immediate. If all goes well, it is a least 3 weeks. Again, why invite headaches? Secondly, not supporting bad actors will make the overall FI market in Canada stronger.

March 7, 2023
6:51 pm
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members

Given the spirited defense of this institution, and posts to date limited to this bank, it causes me to wonder whether Iconoclast may have a conflict of interest and/or have shareholder ownership, and/or be an employee in this private company?

March 8, 2023
7:02 am
Iconoclast
Banned

AltaRed said
Given the spirited defense of this institution, and posts to date limited to this bank, it causes me to wonder whether Iconoclast may have a conflict of interest and/or have shareholder ownership, and/or be an employee in this private company?  

The moment you start releasing private information about yourself, I will consider doing the same.

March 8, 2023
7:18 am
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members

Long time members here generally know a fair bit about other long time members other than, in most cases, actual name. It is the camaraderie that gets established over time.

It is considered courteous, if not mandatory on some financial forums, to disclose conflicts of interest when posting about certain subjects. You are welcome to scan through all 2200 posts of mine to paint a pretty good picture of who I am and the institutions I deal with. You are being called out/challenged given the unequivocal bias that is apparent in your posts so far.

March 8, 2023
7:27 am
dommm
Members
Forum Posts: 157

AltaRed said
Long time members here generally know a fair bit about other long time members other than, in most cases, actual name. It is the camaraderie that gets established over time.

It is considered courteous, if not mandatory on some financial forums, to disclose conflicts of interest when posting about certain subjects. You are welcome to scan through all 2200 posts of mine to paint a pretty good picture of who I am and the institutions I deal with. You are being called out/challenged given the unequivocal bias that is apparent in your posts so far.  

Am I the only one that think you are offside on this issue?

March 8, 2023
7:29 am
Iconoclast
Banned

From where I stand, there is no bias in any of my posts. I would argue that people who disagree with my positions are exhibiting their bias.

March 8, 2023
8:23 am
mordko
Members
Forum Posts: 815

Everyone has biases. My bias is a sneaky suspicion that the regulator is understaffed and too lenient and that a whole bunch of financial institutions are getting away with it. In that respect Wealth One might feel like it's been “picked on” while with a better regulator the punishment would have been broader.

That aside, the headline is factually correct, demonstrably so and it's a bit puzzling that one would challenge it on the basis of accuracy.

Investors and clients should be grateful; better to fix a problem early.

March 8, 2023
9:21 am
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9235

It's impossible to argue with someone who insists that black is white. Rationality doesn't enter into it.

March 8, 2023
9:37 am
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members

dommm said

Am I the only one that think you are offside on this issue?  

Most likely not, but how do you think that is offside? Every one of that individual's posts have been in the 2 Wealth One threads. I don't see objectivity in that person's posts, so is that not reasonable grounds to challenge whether there is a conflict of interest?

In other financial forums I participate in, that would have been picked up by participants, if not the moderators, and questions raised. Not that it ultimately matters because it appears Wealth One is clearly not an institution many are that comfortable with anyway and have said so. By all means, carry on though.

March 8, 2023
11:57 am
dancerneverstop
Members
Forum Posts: 6

The backstage founder of this newly founded bank is a Chinese, a previous Insurance seller/Financial Advisor. Lots of Chinese people know this guy - in a not so good way. There has been lots of stories about how this guy cheated and got his client lost their life long savings etc. (don't know how accurate those stories are) But because this guy is the top sales of the company, the company just chose to protect him by helping him get out of those lawsuits. As individual, I really have no judgement on whether those stories are truth or gossip, but, I just choose to stay away from a bank and a person having so many negative stories around.

March 8, 2023
4:04 pm
Iconoclast
Banned

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ethics-commissioner-dawson-trudeau-questions-1.3897684

"Those reports raised questions about various interactions between Trudeau and attendees, including Toronto businessman Thomas Liu, who has financial interest in canola exports to China, Shengling Xian,founder of Wealth One Bank of Canada, and Miaofei Pan, who told the Globe he spoke with Trudeau about foreign investment issues that could affect the Anbang Insurance Group"

Hmmmm, the plot thickens.

March 8, 2023
9:37 pm
RetirEd
Members
Forum Posts: 1003

ABOUT DISCLOSURE: Nobody is obligated to disclose personal financial information about themselves. But people will be a little leery of defense of a financial institution from someone who hasn't at least affirmed they do not have conflict of interest.

ABOUT THE FINE: In finance, documenting compliance and record-keeping are the heart of the business' trust. We don't ever want to "let things slide," as the consequences can be... Enron. FTX. Eron mortgage. Wells Fargo. To quote the not-my-fave-source-but-it's-a-great-quote from The Gypper: Trust, but verify.

This is the same principle that makes us keep our own credit card receipts, etc.
RetirEd

RetirEd

March 9, 2023
12:36 am
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9235

Nobody has to disclose their personal stuff , but anyone who represents a financial institution is obliged to disclose that on this forum. When someone goes to such illogical extremes to defend an FI, one wonders about that question.
But I think the underlying issue is likely support for conspiracy theories. Just my opinion.

March 9, 2023
11:56 am
canadian.100
Members
Forum Posts: 940

Loonie said
Nobody has to disclose their personal stuff , but anyone who represents a financial institution is obliged to disclose that on this forum. When someone goes to such illogical extremes to defend an FI, one wonders about that question.
But I think the underlying issue is likely support for conspiracy theories. Just my opinion.  

This is an anonymous public forum, be realistic and do not expect full honesty and/or disclosure from all posters. One gets to know what information and opinions posted are (somewhat) reasonable and what is just noise and/or nonsense. I appreciate the good stuff and I try to ignore the nonsense.

March 9, 2023
12:59 pm
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members

It depends on the rules and T's and C's of the individual forum what must be met. FWF and Bogleheads are the only forums I know of which are fully non-commercial and where the rules, T's and C's are quite specific. Disclosures of direct conflicts of interest are required and for the most part that can most often be deciphered by Forum Administrators from account information during registration.

What the rules, T's and C's are here, I do not recall offhand but it should not be surprising the theme and nature of the individual's posts would have triggered a challenge by someone. No matter though in the long run because Loonie probably has the specific member pegged about right.

March 9, 2023
1:02 pm
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3911

Rules and Etiquette thread here says "5. Do not promote your product, service, or business on this forum. The moderators reserve the right to determine what is considered promotional. Representatives from financial institutions are welcome, but you must 1) disclose your affiliation; and 2) stick to explaining the facts and helping others."

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.