Targeted offer - 5.5% on new money from Jul 4th till Nov 30th, 2023 | Page 4 | Tangerine Bank | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Targeted offer - 5.5% on new money from Jul 4th till Nov 30th, 2023
July 9, 2023
9:19 am
cgouimet
Members
Forum Posts: 1474
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

enzohu said

If I deposit additional money into my exisiting savings account, will those money get 5.5%?  

If you have a 5.5% offer which you said you didn't get.

CGO
July 9, 2023
9:25 am
enzohu
Members
Forum Posts: 3

cgouimet said

If you have a 5.5% offer which you said you didn't get?  

Correct, I didn't get the 5.5% offer. my current offier is only 5% extension until end of Sept. Wondering how come some people get it and some don't? Is it because the 5.5% offer not available to exisiting account holders?

July 9, 2023
9:28 am
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6771

The 5½% offer is targeted and not given to everyone.

One is not going to be paid 5½% on new deposits unless one has received an offer invitation and activated:

1. The Tangerine Bank (the “Bank”) Savings Interest Offer of 5.50% (the “Offer”) is available to existing Tangerine Clients who: (1) receive a communication about the Offer directly from the Bank, (2) “Activate” (as defined in Section 4 below) the Offer by July 31, 2023, and (3) receive a confirmation to their online Tangerine Account Message Board that the Offer has been successfully activated (“Eligible Clients”).

The offer is for certain "existing Tangerine Clients". I suspect not everyone is invited because the offer is a marketing exercise and there isn't the marketing budget to pay every existing client 5½% for new deposits.

July 9, 2023
9:35 am
cgouimet
Members

enzohu said

Correct, I didn't get the 5.5% offer. my current offier is only 5% extension until end of Sept. Wondering how come some people get it and some don't? Is it because the 5.5% offer not available to exisiting account holders?  

No I think they are current account holder. But I also don't think any had existing offers.

CGO
July 9, 2023
9:51 am
Wrayzor
GTA
Members
Forum Posts: 77

enzohu said

Correct, I didn't get the 5.5% offer. my current offier is only 5% extension until end of Sept. Wondering how come some people get it and some don't? Is it because the 5.5% offer not available to existing account holders?

While on an existing offer, I've never received a new one (extensions yes, but never a new and improved one).

Receiving a new Tangerine offer seems to be the luck of the draw for most people, as documented here in several threads.

July 10, 2023
3:32 am
RetirEd
Members
Forum Posts: 1015

Dealing with Tangerine is a Royal Pain in the Ask. The people most likely to have an easy and profitable time with them are new customers who make one big hit and never come back.

They never made me an offer through more than 15 years with them, and when I called in to ask I'd get at least 2% less than what others got.
RetirEd

RetirEd

July 10, 2023
4:58 am
Alexandre
Members
Forum Posts: 1112

RetirEd said
The people most likely to have an easy and profitable time with them are new customers who make one big hit and never come back.

They never made me an offer through more than 15 years with them, and when I called in to ask I'd get at least 2% less than what others got.
RetirEd  

I am with Tangerine (ING Direct) since 2012. I am getting between 1 and 3 promo offers every year.
When promo ends, I always move all funds out. I am currently on 5% promo that were extended till September 30. My money will leave Tangerine just before September 25th.

I never call banks for promo rates, Tangerine included.

July 10, 2023
7:30 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3924

Same as Alexandre for me, since day one with ING, same experience with promos. I never call anyone and complain about anything as I'd just assume their computer would code me as a get-rid-of-if-possible account because that's exactly what I'd do to complainers, etc. I just let my money's movements indicate my sentiments.

July 10, 2023
7:36 am
karenspring
Members

I got this targeted offer but want to make sure i understand the following terms correctly, if i move funds from a saving that i am listed as secondary to the saving that i am listed as primary is that transfer funds qualified for the promo rate? Thanks.
one more question, does anyone know if withdraw from rrsp saving account to chequing can be done via tang online banking? Thanks.

" Where money is transferred from an Account where the Eligible Client is listed second on the statement for an Applicable Account where the Eligible Client is the Primary Account Holder, that transfer will be eligible for Promotional Interest"

The Offer is only applicable to Applicable Accounts where the Eligible Client is the person whose name appears first on the Bank statement (the “Primary Account Holder”). For Applicable Accounts where an Eligible Client is not the Primary Account Holder (example: the Eligible Client is not the Primary Account Holder on a joint Applicable Account and is listed second on the statement for that Account), the Offer won’t be applied to that particular Account. Where money is transferred from an Account where the Eligible Client is listed second on the statement for an Applicable Account where the Eligible Client is the Primary Account Holder, that transfer will be eligible for Promotional Interest.

July 10, 2023
8:42 am
cgouimet
Members

karenspring said
I got this targeted offer but want to make sure i understand the following terms correctly, if i move funds from a saving that i am listed as secondary to the saving that i am listed as primary is that transfer funds qualified for the promo rate? Thanks.
one more question, does anyone know if withdraw from rrsp saving account to chequing can be done via tang online banking? Thanks.

" Where money is transferred from an Account where the Eligible Client is listed second on the statement for an Applicable Account where the Eligible Client is the Primary Account Holder, that transfer will be eligible for Promotional Interest"

The Offer is only applicable to Applicable Accounts where the Eligible Client is the person whose name appears first on the Bank statement (the “Primary Account Holder”). For Applicable Accounts where an Eligible Client is not the Primary Account Holder (example: the Eligible Client is not the Primary Account Holder on a joint Applicable Account and is listed second on the statement for that Account), the Offer won’t be applied to that particular Account. Where money is transferred from an Account where the Eligible Client is listed second on the statement for an Applicable Account where the Eligible Client is the Primary Account Holder, that transfer will be eligible for Promotional Interest.  

That's what it says it plain english. I don't know how it could be easier to understand.

If you're the first on the account, it's yours; if you're not, it's not ...

CGO
July 10, 2023
8:48 am
cgouimet
Members

Alexandre said

I am with Tangerine (ING Direct) since 2012. I am getting between 1 and 3 promo offers every year.
When promo ends, I always move all funds out. I am currently on 5% promo that were extended till September 30. My money will leave Tangerine just before September 25th.

I never call banks for promo rates, Tangerine included.  

Same here.

My only product complaint with TNG has been the need to make GIC's Joint by Phone. This then takes me to my service complaint: Frequently (though not lately) we experience excessive wait times and then frequently get problematic CSR's (especially lately).

CGO
July 10, 2023
8:57 am
karenspring
Members

cgouimet said

That's what it says it plain english. I don't know how it could not be easier to understand.

If you're the first on the account, it's yours; if you're not, you're not ...  

Thanks, I just wanted to confirm transfer from saving that I am secondary to saving that I am primary qualifies for promo interest. Anyone knows if rrsp saving withdraw can be done online? Thanks.

July 10, 2023
9:08 am
cgouimet
Members

karenspring said

Thanks, I just wanted to confirm transfer from saving that I am secondary to saving that I am primary qualifies for promo interest. Anyone knows if rrsp saving withdraw can be done online? Thanks.  

I have no idea on the RSP thing. Have you tried?

CGO
July 10, 2023
9:25 am
Iminterested
Members
Forum Posts: 17

karenspring said

Yes, you can withdraw from your RRSP savings easily and quickly online.

July 11, 2023
5:37 am
bhuc
Toronto
Members
Forum Posts: 138

Not sure your getting the promo rate just check the account details tab for the applicable savings account.

A primary account holder may see this:
Interest Rate
Current Interest Rate 1.00%
Your special rate is active! Nice! You're earning a special interest rate of 5.50% on new deposits to this Account until November 30, 2023.

For the same account
A secondary account holder will see this:
Interest Rate

July 11, 2023
6:57 am
cgouimet
Members

bhuc said
Not sure your getting the promo rate just check the account details tab for the applicable savings account.

A primary account holder may see this:
Interest Rate
Your special rate is active! Nice! You're earning a special interest rate of 5.50% on new deposits to this Account until November 30, 2023.

For the same account
A secondary account holder will see this:
Interest Rate

And, just below that is the "More Info" button with the general offer parameters.

Screenshot-2023-07-11-at-09-50-47-Savings-Account-Details-Tangerine.png

And then, that Legal "Stuff" link opens up the offer T&C's.

Screenshot-2023-07-11-at-09-51-37-Savings-Account-Details-Tangerine.png

CGO
July 12, 2023
6:06 pm
uniQChick
Members
Forum Posts: 34

I received only 5.00% as an extension of an existing one. sf-frown

July 12, 2023
11:58 pm
cgouimet
Members

uniQChick said
I received only 5.00% as an extension of an existing one. sf-frown  

From end of June? Till when?

CGO
July 14, 2023
8:59 am
uniQChick
Members
Forum Posts: 34

cgouimet said

From end of June? Till when?  

Until the end of September.

July 25, 2023
4:13 am
Saver602
Members
Forum Posts: 6

Got all excited when I saw this rate (here) and logged into TNG but no offer for me, just 1% for savings. I have a couple of GICs with TNG and had a residual $1k in a savings account with them. So, I just transferred the $1k out to RBC and will close the savings account in the coming days. If that initiates an offer by TNG I will report back. Ticks me off that we need to play games and skip around from institution to institution - but here we are.

New member of this community - first post. Been lurking for quite some time. You folks are awesome - thanks for sharing what you know.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.