Targeted offer - 5.5% on new money from Jul 4th till Nov 30th, 2023 | Page 3 | Tangerine Bank | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Targeted offer - 5.5% on new money from Jul 4th till Nov 30th, 2023
July 6, 2023
1:07 pm
InterestThis
Members
Forum Posts: 272
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

As stated that was for a PREVIOUS promo, where this worked. It worked for a previous promo rate when the GIC matured into the chequing account, and then was transfered into the savings account. Then that paid out the promo rate for a previous promo.
But if it matured into the savings acct, it would not qualify.

But if a person was to take a GIC out of Tang, they have to mature into a Tang acct, no?
But if someone posts the entire legal doc for this promo, I will read it and see if its like that last one.

July 6, 2023
1:10 pm
COIN
Members
Forum Posts: 1109

I called Tang and I'm not convinced you get the 5.5% on the maturity proceeds from the matured GIC's. I think you get only the 1%. For what its worth, this is also what Tandia does.

July 6, 2023
1:15 pm
InterestThis
Members

From earlier in this thread, the exclusion applies if it matures into the applicable account. But a transfer from chequing is ok. That is how it worked last time.

-------------------
Exclusions
10. Notwithstanding the above, the following are examples of the types of transactions that won’t qualify as Eligible Deposits and therefore won’t earn Promotional Interest:
Money transferred from a Bank GIC, Investment Fund or Line of Credit to an Applicable Account.

July 6, 2023
2:15 pm
hwyc
GTA
Members
Forum Posts: 1169

#28 Bill said
I've had the same wording before re "Bank GIC" in my t&c and then a matured GIC amount that went straight to savings account thereafter got the promo rate. I've no idea what they mean by "Bank GIC" not getting promo rate, not the case for me.  

I think you raise your experience before. My Tax-Free GIC maturing in 2 weeks. Should I give it a try as well … into Tax-Free Savings Account ?

... BTW the “Bank” means Tangerine Bank. The denotation is found near the top of the T&C

July 6, 2023
3:59 pm
mustang
Members
Forum Posts: 216

COIN said
I called Tang and I'm not convinced you get the 5.5% on the maturity proceeds from the matured GIC's. I think you get only the 1%. For what its worth, this is also what Tandia does.  

Yes, that is _precisely_ what I was told,even after I questioned that did not agree with T&C, at least how I read them

July 6, 2023
6:27 pm
COIN
Members

mustang said

Yes, that is _precisely_ what I was told,even after I questioned that did not agree with T&C, at least how I read them  

It is probably safer to move all the funds out of Tang to another institution.

The CSR also said the GIC principal is part of the base on July 3rd and any withdrawal would reduce the amount eligible for the 5.5%. Confusing, eh.

I don't understand how some people can move the GIC maturity proceeds to chequing and then to savings and get 5.5%. Will they be in for an unpleasant surprise down the road?

July 6, 2023
7:22 pm
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3924

hwyc, thanks for clarification on what the "Bank" means, makes my experience even more puzzling. But I put the matured GIC money into one of our joint savings accounts, by itself, so it was easy to see at month end that promo interest was calculated on that amount. It's still there, mixed in with other money now. Maybe they like me.

July 6, 2023
8:07 pm
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6771

That could be significant: "…put the matured GIC money into one of our joint savings accounts, …"

Would the primary holder of the joint savings account happen to be different than the primary holder of the matured GIC?

Could be similar to the situation described in paragraph 14 about transfers from Applicable Accounts that are joint but with a different primary holder:

14. The Offer is only applicable to Applicable Accounts where the Eligible Client is the person whose name appears first on the Bank statement (the “Primary Account Holder”). …. Where money is transferred from an Account where the Eligible Client is listed second on the statement for an Applicable Account where the Eligible Client is the Primary Account Holder, that transfer will be eligible for Promotional Interest.

July 7, 2023
6:11 am
Bill
Members

You're right, Norman1, I checked and it was my wife's GIC matured into a joint account where I'm primary.

July 7, 2023
7:25 am
COIN
Members

I hasten to add that when I spoke to the CSR yesterday he said that the interest portion of the matured GIC would qualify as new money but not the original principal.

July 7, 2023
7:30 am
InterestThis
Members

Where in the legal terms for this offer, does it say that money in a Tang GIC counts as part of the principal sum of end-of-day balances in all Applicable Accounts per Applicable Account Type as at July 3, 2023?

July 7, 2023
7:34 am
mustang
Members
Forum Posts: 216

Looks like we have drilled down to a resolution here
I just called to confirm-- although I confess to having something a little less than 100% confidence in the csa. To his credit, he put me on hold while he checked with someone presumably more knowledgeable, without me insisting, so that's a good sign

Our particular situaton:
I am joint (secondary) with my wife on one account-- which holds the gic
I have my own account-- which she is not joint on
We both received the promo offer, and activated

The gic will mature into the savings account where she is primary. And will not be eligible for the 5.5% there-- would just earn 1.0%
However, I will transfer immediately to my account, where it is eligible

So, at the end of the day,there is some consistency here
I think

July 7, 2023
7:57 am
Bill
Members

Also, I imagine one can change maturity instructions.

July 7, 2023
9:12 am
bhuc
Toronto
Members
Forum Posts: 138

The way I see it is:
The promo offer is made to the primary account holder.

Example:

For accounting balance purposes, as of July 3rd
"A" has 10 K across all accounts and
"B" has zero K across all accounts
including GIC's.

HISA "A"
- Primary "A" has a Balance $ 10 K
- Secondary( joint) "B"
After July 3 "A" will get rate 1.0 % going forward if "A" keeps the balance at 10 K

So if "A" transfers 10 K to "B" then
"B" will get promotion rate 5.5%

HISA "B"
- Primary "B" now has a Balance $ 10 K
- Secondary( joint) "A"
"B" will get promotion rate 5.5%

And by the way, CRA will attribute interest on the 5.5% to "B" and not "A"

Hope this clarifies !

July 7, 2023
9:58 am
InterestThis
Members

You can change the Tang GIC account maturity instructions right in the GIC. They can be set to mature to the chequing account.

July 7, 2023
10:38 am
COIN
Members

Are you absolutely certain that depositing the GIC maturity proceeds first to the chequing account and then transferring to the savings account will get the 5.5%? So there will be no unpleasant surprises

?
July 7, 2023
11:40 am
InterestThis
Members

No of course am not absolutely certain for this offer, as I stated.
But for a previous offer it worked exactly like that.
All I do is read the legal doc, and go from there.

July 9, 2023
8:39 am
enzohu
Members
Forum Posts: 3

Glad to see most of people here are getting that 5.5% rate offer. For me, unfortunately I am seeing this offer in my Insight when logging into my account, nor do I see any promo email from Tangerine.
I am only offered 5% until end of Sept 2023. sf-cry
Is this because I only have a saving account with Tangerine, don't have a chequing account?

July 9, 2023
9:06 am
cgouimet
Members
Forum Posts: 1474

enzohu said
Glad to see most of people here are getting that 5.5% rate offer. For me, unfortunately I am seeing this offer in my Insight when logging into my account, nor do I see any promo email from Tangerine.
I am only offered 5% until end of Sept 2023. sf-cry
Is this because I only have a saving account with Tangerine, don't have a chequing account?  

New offer or an extension of an existing 5%?

CGO
July 9, 2023
9:11 am
enzohu
Members
Forum Posts: 3

cgouimet said

New offer or an extension of an existing 5%  

If I deposit additional money into my exisiting savings account, will those money get 5.5%?

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.