Targeted offer: 2% on new deposit Oct 7, 2020 to Feb 28, 2021 | Page 4 | Tangerine Bank | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Targeted offer: 2% on new deposit Oct 7, 2020 to Feb 28, 2021
October 9, 2020
7:58 am
rwb
Members
Forum Posts: 6
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I got the offer, even though I only had something like $200.00 in my account.

I appreciate information from highinterestsavings.ca I was going to buy another house, and over the past year, invested considerable sums with different financial institutions. I spent most of my savings on the house, but the higher interest rates helped build up my available cash.

Thanks
Rick

October 9, 2020
8:03 am
fbeaulie
Members
Forum Posts: 82

MG said

fbeaulie said
I have pretty much accepted all their offers and I almost always got another offer 4 to 7 days after the offer expired (except Summer 2018).

Fbeaulie, but do you move your funds out when your offer expires or do you just keep them at Tangerine, getting a low interest rate, hoping for an offer?

I used to move my funds to another institution the day after the offer expired but I realized quickly that moving my funds to my Tangerine checking account was enough to qualify as "new" money (summer 2017: I transferred my funds to my wife Savings Account because she had an existing offer that was valid until the end of November - I used not to care about CIDC limit but now I do!).

Edit: After reviewing our combined offers, starting April 2015, the only months that were not covered by a promotional offer (neither my wife nor myself) are: December 2015, December 2018 and September 2020.

October 9, 2020
8:43 am
smayer97
Members
Forum Posts: 768

Yes. It is less frequent in general that Tangerine offers promo on existing funds, though it does happen. Most often, it is safest to move all money out of any savings accounts, at least to the chequing account, though safer still to move it out of Tangerine altogether because some offers have been on new money from OUTSIDE Tangerine only.

All that said, again, there is nothing you do or do not do that increases your chances of getting a new promo, at least nothing that has ever been discerned. Everyone will have a story to tell but NONE will give any idea of if or how that impacts if they get an new offer.

They only thing you can do to make sure you qualify IF you get a new offer is to have your money properly positioned.

October 9, 2020
8:54 am
topgun
Members
Forum Posts: 452

I checked Tangerine for season bonus start date and end date. I had 10 bonus events since 2015. Years ago after paying off my mortgage I setup my income deposits to Tangerine savings. I have a friend that says it is not worth it. She is probably right, for all the interest I collected in a savings account over the years. Saving account increases. It decreases until the next income deposit. Promotional interest paid at start of month after regular interest paid at month end. Last new money savings campaign March 2, 2020 to May 31, 2020. Total bonus income for 3 months 30 cents. No offer since May 31st.

Have a Great Day

October 9, 2020
10:22 am
rhvic
Victoria, BC
Members
Forum Posts: 465

Yesterday I sent an email to Tang, saying that many people I knew were being offered 2.0% on savings accounts (US and CAD) and that I would like this also. Their reply told me to get hold of them by phone or chat, so I used chat today. There again I was told, no offer for me (my last offer expired July 2020). So I asked to escalate to a supervisor, which then came back with a 1.6% offer on CAD$ only, for 150 days. I ended up declining this, as they said they could not include US$ accounts, and besides I can park CAD funds at the 2.0% offer at Simplii. Also, taking this 1.6% offer would have meant no other better offers for at least 150 days.

So, my US$ stay at Hubert at 0.25%, in hopes of a new Tang offer in the near future. I won't hold my breath.

What an enormously frustrating bunch they are at Tangerine!!

October 9, 2020
12:13 pm
Alexandra
British Columbia
Members
Forum Posts: 458

As I said before I am just getting the 1.6% from Tangerine now. Just the other day I transferred funds from Tang to Motive. Now Motive is 1.55....so that was a futile.
Glad though I got the EQ 3mo term at 1.8%.

Hopefully, the rates will go up in Dec through Feb to capture RRSPs & TFSA.

sf-laugh

October 9, 2020
12:49 pm
smayer97
Members

rhvic said

So, my US$ stay at Hubert at 0.25%, in hopes of a new Tang offer in the near future. I won't hold my breath.

What an enormously frustrating bunch they are at Tangerine!!  

An aside, a small bank, ICICI Canada offers 0.45% on USD account, no min, no fees. Best out there ever since Hubert dropped from 0.75% and Tangerine only had/has offers of 1.6-2% promo to some.

October 9, 2020
1:06 pm
topgun
Members

smayer97 said

An aside, a small bank, ICICI Canada offers 0.45% on USD account, no min, no fees. Best out there ever since Hubert dropped from 0.75% and Tangerine only had/has offers of 1.6-2% promo to some.  

Rather than keeping my US$ at Tangerine and getting peanuts in interest, I convert to CND and spend it. The last time I need US$ I kept enough to go on vacation. I use a CC when possible on vacation.

Have a Great Day

October 9, 2020
1:52 pm
Rick
Members
Forum Posts: 1110

Alexandra said
As I said before I am just getting the 1.6% from Tangerine now. Just the other day I transferred funds from Tang to Motive. Now Motive is 1.55....so that was a futile.
sf-laugh  

JUST noticed Motive's dropsf-surprised. Makes it easy for me. Helloooo Tangerine!sf-cool

October 9, 2020
5:16 pm
annie
Members
Forum Posts: 55

topgun said

Rather than keeping my US$ at Tangerine and getting peanuts in interest, I convert to CND and spend it. The last time I need US$ I kept enough to go on vacation. I use a CC when possible on vacation.  

USD 0.45% is not bad ~ when will the offer end?

October 9, 2020
11:10 pm
smayer97
Members

NOT an offer...this is their regular rate. In fact it was increased from 0.40% some time ago.

Note, their site might be a little quirky (especially with FireFox; seems better with Chrome) but it gets the job done.

October 9, 2020
11:14 pm
annie
Members
Forum Posts: 55

smayer97 said
NOT an offer...this is their regular rate. In fact it was increased from 0.40% some time ago.

Note, their site might be a little quirky (especially with FireFox; seems better with Chrome) but it gets the job done.  

I am worrying about where to put the dollar.. Now the interest rate is so low ~ 0.45% is better than GIC.. I will open an account.. Thank you

October 11, 2020
12:13 am
implode
Members
Forum Posts: 167

No 2% offering for me, but then when I called in before, they offered me 1.6% which I didn't accept then. Hmm, maybe I shouldn't even leave $5xx in the account. Thinking of now transferring out that $500 leaving peanuts behind.

Oh, interesting tidbit about 0.45% on USD elsewhere. I'm currently parked at Hubert for the 0.25%, but now I'll look into the 0.45% offering.

October 11, 2020
6:17 am
topgun
Members

implode said
No 2% offering for me, but then when I called in before, they offered me 1.6% which I didn't accept then. Hmm, maybe I shouldn't even leave $5xx in the account. Thinking of now transferring out that $500 leaving peanuts behind.

Oh, interesting tidbit about 0.45% on USD elsewhere. I'm currently parked at Hubert for the 0.25%, but now I'll look into the 0.45% offering.  

Years ago Tangerine became a major hub for my banking. It had a savings account that paid interest (i.e. peanuts today). They added checking in 2012. I thought about moving a couple months ago. I have 1-3 months expense balance. Moving savings elsewhere if I get a bit extra. Take ALL your $ elsewhere. Have fun.

Have a Great Day

October 28, 2020
8:56 pm
picassocat
Québec
Members
Forum Posts: 273

The wife and I got the offer and just now activated (almost late). All my lose money is now on its way to Tangerine, but come March 1st, I will exit to greener pastures. I switch between B2b, Alterna, Peoples & Tangerine.

October 28, 2020
9:59 pm
topgun
Members

picassocat said
The wife and I got the offer and just now activated (almost late). All my lose money is now on its way to Tangerine, but come March 1st, I will exit to greener pastures. I switch between B2b, Alterna, Peoples & Tangerine.  

Wish I had an offer from Tangerine. My balance is increasing in the next week. If I got 2% until March I would leave it there. No offer I leave next week.

Have a Great Day

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.