Tangerine Summer 2017 promotion | Page 9 | Tangerine Bank | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Tangerine Summer 2017 promotion
September 9, 2017
10:01 am
Rick
Members
Forum Posts: 1110
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

dannywg said
Tangerine called and offered me 2.75% for 90 days. I took it and moved my funds from PC Financial (2.5%) back to Tangerine.  

Good news! Hasn't their history been to offer a better than normal rate to lock in just before the quarterly promos, then offer rates varying from .25 to 1.25 % better for the promo? Too much to hope for, but since the bank rate was raised twice since the last promo, maybe promo rates at 2.5 to 3.5%? I'll hold my breath I even get a promo offer in Oct.

September 9, 2017
10:47 am
dannywg
Members
Forum Posts: 4
162sp_Permalink sp_Print

Though .25% only amounts to $260 for 90 days I was on the phone for no more than 2-3 minutes. I think my time was well spent.

September 9, 2017
10:50 am
JustMe2016
Members
Forum Posts: 129
163sp_Permalink sp_Print

I got my very first 3.22% promo in June 🙂

September 9, 2017
10:51 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3890
164sp_Permalink sp_Print

dannywg, what's your promo history with Tangerine? Where you on an existing bonus of any kind when they called?

September 9, 2017
1:32 pm
dannywg
Members
Forum Posts: 4
165sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Bill,
PC offered me 2.5%, over three months ago, so I moved most of my funds out of Tangerine who was paying me 2% at the time. PC has extended the 2.5% promo that concluded at the end of August.

September 9, 2017
5:16 pm
Bill
Members
166sp_Permalink sp_Print

I see, thanks, dannywg. I'd been on a number of 2% Tangerine promotions for a year or so and then the end of last quarter (June), based on info from this site, I pulled my money out to see what would happen and sure enough about July 5 I got offered 2.97%. Money came back, so I don't imagine they'll call me as I'm on that promo until Sept 30, so I guess I'll pull my money out in the last week of September and see if I get another good rate offer a few days after quarter-end.

September 9, 2017
6:32 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9214

There's no reason not to pull it out at the end of September, for any of us. Maye they've figured that out and are trying to pre-empt it with these phone offers - for some people.

dannywg:
I'm wondering if you would be willing to tell us if you had a lot or a little in funds to put in Tangerine. It would be interesting to know what sorts of accounts they are targeting.

September 9, 2017
9:59 pm
Righand
Members
Forum Posts: 103
168sp_Permalink sp_Print

Loonie said
There's no reason not to pull it out at the end of September, for any of us. Maye they've figured that out and are trying to pre-empt it with these phone offers - for some people.

dannywg:
I'm wondering if you would be willing to tell us if you had a lot or a little in funds to put in Tangerine. It would be interesting to know what sorts of accounts they are targeting.  

dannywg said...."Though .25% only amounts to $260 for 90 days I was on the phone for no more than 2-3 minutes."

In order to get $260 extra for 90 days @ .25% he has to have approx. $425,000 in the account.

September 9, 2017
11:46 pm
Rick
Members
169sp_Permalink sp_Print

dannywg said
Though .25% only amounts to $260 for 90 days I was on the phone for no more than 2-3 minutes. I think my time was well spent.  

Good deal.
Looking forward to see what the rate spread is for the fall promo.

September 10, 2017
1:27 am
JustMe2016
Members
Forum Posts: 129
170sp_Permalink sp_Print

I just realized that banks/FI are now like insurance companies; it doesn't pay to be a faithful customer. You have to leave them and move your money/business around if you want the best deal. We live in a 'funny' world... You are rewarded for NOT being a faithful customer sf-frown

September 10, 2017
6:46 am
moneyhelp
Members
Forum Posts: 273
171sp_Permalink sp_Print

Bill said
I see, thanks, dannywg. I'd been on a number of 2% Tangerine promotions for a year or so and then the end of last quarter (June), based on info from this site, I pulled my money out to see what would happen and sure enough about July 5 I got offered 2.97%. Money came back, so I don't imagine they'll call me as I'm on that promo until Sept 30, so I guess I'll pull my money out in the last week of September and see if I get another good rate offer a few days after quarter-end.  

Hey Bill,

I got the same offer, but after reading several other posts on Tangerine promo offers, they usually send their email offers on the 5th of the quarterly month, so you want to have removed the funds before then. Not sure if this is correct, but that's what I did during the last promo and sure enough it worked!

September 10, 2017
5:33 pm
Bill
Members

Correct, moneyhelp, that's what people on here were saying, i.e. take out your money before the end of March, June, September and December and 5 days into the next month you'll get a sweet offer. And sure enough that's what happened to me too the first time I tried it. Of course, either only so few people are doing "The Manoeuvre" that Tangerine doesn't care or else they're on to us being on to them that they'll change it up at some point and then we'll have to stop liking Tangerine, until somebody figures out the "New Manoeuvre" and then we can like Tangerine again, and so on.

September 10, 2017
10:52 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9214
173sp_Permalink sp_Print

JustMe2016 said
I just realized that banks/FI are now like insurance companies; it doesn't pay to be a faithful customer. You have to leave them and move your money/business around if you want the best deal. We live in a 'funny' world... You are rewarded for NOT being a faithful customer sf-frown  

For loyalty on the other end, best to get a dog. And they provide better security too!sf-smile

September 11, 2017
6:43 pm
Rick
Members

moneyhelp said

Hey Bill,

I got the same offer, but after reading several other posts on Tangerine promo offers, they usually send their email offers on the 5th of the quarterly month, so you want to have removed the funds before then. Not sure if this is correct, but that's what I did during the last promo and sure enough it worked!  

No guarantees. I did not get an offer for summer 2016 (I think it was that one). Moved it all out and lo and behold, I got a fall offer. BTW... I've been moving it out to Tang checking on the 3rd of the month of the next promo, then back in on the 5th.
Worked so far.

September 12, 2017
7:58 am
Bill
Members
175sp_Permalink sp_Print

Rick, this is unclear to me: "I've been moving it out to Tang checking on the 3rd of the month of the next promo, then back in on the 5th."

Do you mean to say "out of Tang" instead of "out to", i.e. you've been moving your money out of Tangerine before the end of every quarter? And how have you been checking on the 3rd - your email? your online account? calling them?

September 12, 2017
11:17 am
DavidAlta13
Members
Forum Posts: 92
176sp_Permalink sp_Print

Bill, I thought Rick meant he moves $ from savings to chequing ("checking") on the 3rd & back on the 5th. As Tangerine's email offers go out on the 5th, I am now assuming they are using an algorithm that looks for savings accounts with significantly lower balances on the 3rd or 4th versus something like the previous 30 days' average. It can't be the qtr end balance, as that's zero for so many of us.

September 12, 2017
11:38 am
CHUCK21
Members
Forum Posts: 63
177sp_Permalink sp_Print

HELLO,
I TRIED TO WITHDRAW 50K FROM TANGERINE AND THEY WOULD NOT ALLOW IT OVER THE INTERNET. I HAD TO CALL TO FIND OUT THAT MY WITHDRAWAL LIMIT IS 25K PER DAY. THIS COULD BE TROUBLE IF YOU WAIT TO LATE. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

September 12, 2017
12:02 pm
Bill
Members
178sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh, right! Thanks DavidAlta13.

In my case, I didn't get an email, it appeared on my online account page July 5. I had my money out to other banks by about June 25 so had almost zero on June 30.

Chuck21, have you transferred out more than $25K per day online successfully before? Is this daily limit a new "feature" for you, did they say? Does the limit apply if you do it by phone? Anything in your history with Tangerine that might be the reason for this?

September 12, 2017
12:36 pm
DavidAlta13
Members
179sp_Permalink sp_Print

Chuck21, I linked my non-Tang accounts (Hubert & EQ) to the Tang Savings and then do the transfers from these non-Tang accounts. Sometimes I get double interest. For example, on Jun 28, Hubert started paying me on the transfer from Tang, but Tang paid me interest for Jun 28 & 29, and processed the transfer out on Jun 30. Unfortunately, it balanced out when Tang started paying me Jul 7 on the tsf in from Hubert, but Hubert processed it Jul 5. But I was able to do it all online.

September 12, 2017
12:40 pm
DavidAlta13
Members
180sp_Permalink sp_Print

Chuck21, in case you haven't considered any holds, Hubert's is 4 business days, and EQ's is 5. If you use others, check their hold periods. I don't have or use a Tang chequing account, which would avoid the holds but would pay no interest.

Please write your comments in the forum.