Tangerine Summer 2017 promotion | Tangerine Bank | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Tangerine Summer 2017 promotion
June 25, 2017
8:27 am
rhvic
Victoria, BC
Members
Forum Posts: 468
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Well, it is about that time again - what will Tangerine offer to us for a summer 2017 promotion? If all goes according to past patterns, Tangerine will start making selective interest rate offers around July 5 or so.

In preparation, I have already transfered the bulk of my cash from Tangerine and parked it at Ideal, where I get 2.5% till the end of 2017. If Tangerine can't exceed that rate, then it will not move back. Currenty I am getting 3.21% at Tangerine till June 30. If funds do go back to Tangerine, then they will arrive as 'new' deposits.

Tangerine would be smarter to just always have rates near the top of what is available.

June 25, 2017
4:57 pm
3oakwest
Ontario, Canada
Members
Forum Posts: 155

Here we go again!

June 26, 2017
4:57 am
AlainJF
Members
Forum Posts: 184

rhvic said
... and parked it at Ideal, where I get 2.5% till the end of 2017....  

Ideal @ 2.5% ? Could you give the reference to that offer. Thanks !

June 26, 2017
5:29 am
DevPatel
Members
Forum Posts: 26

Hello guys,
I believe someone had a link to the promotion page on Tangerine website which allowed to peek the interest rates before they were actually announced. Could you please post that link?
Thanks...

June 26, 2017
5:59 am
Top It Up
Members (temp break)
Forum Posts: 1363

AlainJF said

Ideal @ 2.5% ? Could you give the reference to that offer. Thanks !  

It's an OLD offer but the thread is an interesting read - rest assured Janna will never again be posting a comment on this thread after her harsh "welcome" -

https://www.highinterestsavings.ca/forum/ideal-savings/add-ideal-savings/

June 26, 2017
8:36 am
AlainJF
Members
Forum Posts: 184

Top It Up said

It's an OLD offer but the thread is an interesting read - rest assured Janna will never again be posting a comment on this thread after her harsh "welcome" -

https://www.highinterestsavings.ca/forum/ideal-savings/add-ideal-savings/  

Not sure how this answer my question to the user "rhvic" who started this tread.

rhvic wrote that he/she parked $ (temporarily ?) at 2.5% (... and parked it at Ideal, where I get 2.5% till the end of 2017....)

June 26, 2017
9:09 am
Winnie
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 463

DevPatel said
Hello guys,
I believe someone had a link to the promotion page on Tangerine website which allowed to peek the interest rates before they were actually announced. Could you please post that link?
Thanks...  

https://www.tangerine.ca/en/landing-page/specialinterestrate/index.html

June 26, 2017
9:27 am
rhvic
Victoria, BC
Members
Forum Posts: 468

AlainJF said

Not sure how this answer my question to the user "rhvic" who started this tread.

rhvic wrote that he/she parked $ (temporarily ?) at 2.5% (... and parked it at Ideal, where I get 2.5% till the end of 2017....)  

The offer from Ideal of 2.5% to end of 2017 was a very temporary one, when they first launched. I managed to get this offer, but many did not.

June 26, 2017
6:17 pm
Rick
Members
Forum Posts: 1110

For some reason, I didn't get a Summer offer last year. Got the others, but not the summer. Maybe because they offered it to the secondary account holder (wife) who is not a primary account holder at all.

June 28, 2017
8:39 pm
Hmm
Members
Forum Posts: 106

This is interesting. Several months ago PCF was offering a 2.5% rate until the end of this month. I asked Tangerine if they could match it and the best they could do was offer me 2.1% so I declined.

I had over 500K moved from Tangerine to PCF. I don't know why I didn't get a 3.21% offer like another poster previously mentioned and of course, no 2.5% either. I have been a very long time customer with Tangerine and in fantastic standing. As such, I am puzzled why I was not offered anything decent.

June 29, 2017
9:31 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3922

Hmm, the current PC promotion I'm on is until Aug 31 and the limit, if I remember right, is $500K. Did your promotion with PC not have that limit?

June 30, 2017
1:20 pm
HappyCow
Members
Forum Posts: 3

I chatted with Tangerine to see if they could extend the 2.97% promo and they offered me 2.5% until September 27th.

July 1, 2017
7:50 pm
RicksBank
Alberta
Members
Forum Posts: 166

Previously I moved my money from Tangerine to EQ between promos. I was afraid that "next time" simply moving it to my chequing account might not be good enough to count as a new deposit when moved back. I got brave this time and just moved it to chequing on June 30. If I don't get an offer or if they change the rules then back to EQ it goes.

July 1, 2017
11:16 pm
semi-retired
Members
Forum Posts: 232

Moved my 2.81% promo to checking on the 29th.Will see what happens early next week.

July 3, 2017
7:08 am
mr P. Pincer
Members
Forum Posts: 28

HappyCow said
I chatted with Tangerine to see if they could extend the 2.97% promo and they offered me 2.5% until September 27th.  

Phoned in just now, had to wait a half hour, but it is still technically the long weekend, so I'm just happy somebody was working.

I had the 3.21% new money promo which expired friday, the rep checked for me (only took a few seconds) and the retention offer for me this time was also 2.5%, until September 30.

Needless to say, I accepted it. 🙂
___

PS. the rep did ask if I was planning to move the money out, what the rate was at the other institution, and what the name of the bank was.
I did say I would be moving it all out to Hubert (the parent CU being Sunova), and the rate was 1.7%.

Oh, and the retention offer is for up to $500K as well.

July 3, 2017
8:07 am
Percentage
Members
Forum Posts: 7

I moved my money to EQ, but since it was June 30th I was told it would be the next business day. After I hung up I checked my pending transaction it was for July 4th, due to the long weekend. I'm concerned that if I do get an offer, Tangerine usually uses your balance on the 4th of the month, and it will then not count as "new money" deposited. Anyway, I can cancel the transaction and move my money to my Chequing today, just not sure if this is still a viable option. Does this still count as having no money?

%=$

July 3, 2017
8:26 am
mr P. Pincer
Members

^If it leaves your account on July 4 and they used that day as the basis for 'new money', your closing balance will be zero, so I think you'll be ok.

I had the same thing happen once, not sure right now if it was with Tangerine or not, but I think it was. I think I wrote about it here somewhere.
Anyways, they used the closing balance for 'new money' calculations.
___

From what I've read, moving all your money into chequing has always worked with Tangerine because their 'new money' offers did not look at chequing balances, unlike the way PCF does it.
(I do not have a Tangerine chequing account).

July 3, 2017
9:04 am
mr P. Pincer
Members

mr P. Pincer said
^If it leaves your account on July 4 and they used that day as the basis for 'new money', your closing balance will be zero, so I think you'll be ok.

I had the same thing happen once, not sure right now if it was with Tangerine or not, but I think it was. I think I wrote about it here somewhere.
Anyways, they used the closing balance for 'new money' calculations.

Actually it was on the last 'new money' promo, but I wrote about it on another forum, found it though, here's a quote..

I'm playing the same game, (also got 3.21% this time around).
Previous promo was 3.25% for me, withdrew all the day after as well, but because I pulled it from an external insitution, it didn't actually exit until April 4 (the day they are using for their 'new money' calculations).

The phone rep assured me they are using closing balance for their calculations but couldn't send me an e-mail to confirm.
Will move it all back in on friday, we'll see if she was right or not when the first bonus interest is due on May 1.

..So effectively I pulled the money out of Tangerine savings on April 4, they used April 4 for the 'new money' base date, and I did get the full 3.21% on the money that I moved back in. So they did go by closing balance.

July 3, 2017
10:03 am
CHUCK21
Members
Forum Posts: 63

JUST CALLED TANGERINE. THEY WOULD NOT OFFER ANY HIGHER THAN 1.6% AND WOULD NOT EXPLAIN WHY SOME ARE GETTING 2.5%. SOME RETENTION PROGRAM. ANY THOUGHTS?

July 3, 2017
10:37 am
Righand
Members
Forum Posts: 103

CHUCK21 said
JUST CALLED TANGERINE. THEY WOULD NOT OFFER ANY HIGHER THAN 1.6% AND WOULD NOT EXPLAIN WHY SOME ARE GETTING 2.5%. SOME RETENTION PROGRAM. ANY THOUGHTS?  

I believe that generally, people being offered the 2.5% have over 100k in the account and have been a client for at least 2 years but I could be wrong on this.

On another note, it seems extremely stupid of them to insult a client with a 1.6% offer when the worst that one can do is 2% or more elsewhere.

A click of the mouse and goodbye Tangerine.sf-yell

Please write your comments in the forum.