Tangerine - January 2020 Offer | Tangerine Bank | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Tangerine - January 2020 Offer
January 6, 2020
1:13 pm
fbeaulie
Members
Forum Posts: 82
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I got:

"Earn 2.75% interest until May 31, 2020 on up to $1,000,000† in new deposits to your Tangerine Savings Account(s), RSP Savings Account(s), Tax-Free Savings Account(s), and US$ Savings Account(s) made between January 6, 2020 and May 31, 2020."

January 6, 2020
1:19 pm
gta_905
Members
Forum Posts: 15

Got an offer for 2.5% today. Will use this for the US savings.

January 6, 2020
1:23 pm
Vatox
Members
Forum Posts: 1218

Not sure what Tang expects from TFSA, because after the offer runs out the 1.1% is pathetic and the GICs also stink! I’m not contributing to my Tang TFSA.

January 6, 2020
1:36 pm
semi-retired
Members
Forum Posts: 232

Received the 2.75% offer as well.Will only use it if Laurentian Bank drops their 3.30 % rate below it.Had cleaned out account after my promo ended at the end of November.

January 6, 2020
2:03 pm
Dean
Valhalla Mountains, British Columbia
Members
Forum Posts: 1914

Vatox said

Not sure what Tang expects from TFSA, because after the offer runs out the 1.1% is pathetic and the GICs also stink! I’m not contributing to my Tang TFSA.  

Yup❗

I pulled completely out of Tangerine (SA's & GIC's) several months ago ... and I have No plans to go back there.

The old Tangerine of the past appears to be gone forever. These days, Tangerine is just 'ScotiaBank' ... but with different lipstick.

sf-cool " Live Long, Healthy ... And Prosper! " sf-cool

January 6, 2020
4:06 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9242

I agree. Scotia appears to have completely destroyed the former ING. I imagine this was their goal all along.
I have happy memories of ING, when it was the ONLY bank offering superior rates. When ING was young, I discussed it with a full service broker, who had never heard of it. He said to me, "if you can get those rates, you should go for it!"

January 6, 2020
5:30 pm
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3919

I like Tangerine a lot, hope they carry on just as they have been. My spouse got 2.5% offer today after clearing out her money a month or so ago when her last offer expired. Seems to be what they do for the last while, just have to wait a bit then an offer comes, no calling, no fuss. If you don't like it you don't take it. Now we're both on 2.5%, pretty much puts you at the top of the HISA rate chart, probably move some money back.

January 6, 2020
6:22 pm
Joe
Banned
Forum Posts: 207

Bill said
I like Tangerine a lot, hope they carry on just as they have been. My spouse got 2.5% offer today after clearing out her money a month or so ago when her last offer expired. Seems to be what they do for the last while, just have to wait a bit then an offer comes, no calling, no fuss. If you don't like it you don't take it. Now we're both on 2.5%, pretty much puts you at the top of the HISA rate chart, probably move some money back.  

Totally agree Bill....best bank in Canada, you can play the game or come on this forum and make a bunch of posts on how you hate them...sf-cool

Tangerine....Canada's best bank. LBC.............Canada's 2nd best bank.
Hubert.....worst bank in Canada.

January 6, 2020
11:25 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9242

Yeah, well, I have played the game with Tang for several years, and left my money there even when the offer wasn't as great as some others.

But they don't want to play with me any more.
So I've taken my money and gone elsewhere.

However, if you're satisfied with 2.5% or less and a whopping $125 transfer fee on registered funds, then go for it!

January 7, 2020
2:16 am
Dean
Valhalla Mountains, British Columbia
Members
Forum Posts: 1914

Bill said

Joe said

Totally agree Bill....best bank in Canada, you can play the game or come on this forum and make a bunch of posts on how you hate them...sf-cool  

Fill Yer Boots, boys ... but most of us here have long since moved on from Tangerine (a.k.a. ScotiaBank).

Unless your thing is short-term 'bait' rates, the pickins are Much Better elsewhere❗

sf-cool " Live Long, Healthy ... And Prosper! " sf-cool

January 7, 2020
4:14 am
Saver-Mom
Members
Forum Posts: 311

Joe and Bill seem to have avoided the frustration of being offered the lowest promo rate or no promo rate, and will also likely change their tune eventually. Saver-Grandmother was coming off 2.75% and I off 2.5%. We received no offers. Called in and were both offered 2% which we each declined. The new offer did not include registered money this time so we will be moving large amounts, registered and unregistered, away from Tang. Likely into some GICs as we are tired of this.

January 7, 2020
10:38 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3919

Saver-Mom, the key to my Tangerine "system" is to immediately remove my $100K per account the day the promo ends (though now it takes two days because they have me on a $50K/day per account withdrawal limit) and then wait a month or two. No contact, no nothing but actions. Then an offer comes. How long did you and your Mom wait after you came off your offers before you called in?

January 7, 2020
1:13 pm
Vatox
Members
Forum Posts: 1218

I do the same as Bill. I have never called for a rate. They can offer me something or I give them nothing, it’s that simple. I get the rate offers twice a year. I never call because it would feel like desperation and may appear as such. Competition works all by itself.

January 7, 2020
2:59 pm
Alexandre
Members
Forum Posts: 1107

No offer for me.

Played funds removal game at the end of December, now have almost nothing left in my Tangerine accounts.
It is their loss, of course. It were my primary bank when they still were ING Direct, now they are not much more than a holder of my credit card. I'm even paying my monthly Mastercard balance from funds at different bank.

I also don't call them for a rate.

January 7, 2020
3:52 pm
Saver-Mom
Members
Forum Posts: 311

I only waited a week, she waited 6 weeks
But bigger issue is new promo not for registered funds so they will leave for good

January 7, 2020
5:52 pm
Joe
Banned

Saver-Mom said
Joe and Bill seem to have avoided the frustration of being offered the lowest promo rate or no promo rate, and will also likely change their tune eventually. Saver-Grandmother was coming off 2.75% and I off 2.5%. We received no offers. Called in and were both offered 2% which we each declined. The new offer did not include registered money this time so we will be moving large amounts, registered and unregistered, away from Tang. Likely into some GICs as we are tired of this.  

Wrong...I only seem to get half of them, or every second one, so when that happens I move my money out to LB or Meridian or Manulife or whoever has a great offer. I never go crying for a retainer rate. It's called playing the game ,Have been playing it for over 5 years, and usually has to be done every 6 months or so.Moving money in/out of Tangerine takes less time then coming on this forum and whining about it.

January 7, 2020
5:55 pm
Joe
Banned

Dean said

Joe said

Fill Yer Boots, boys ... but most of us here have long since moved on from Tangerine (a.k.a. ScotiaBank).

Unless your thing is short-term 'bait' rates, the pickins are Much Better elsewhere❗  

6 months is very satisfactory to me....that's half a 1 yr GIC...LOL.

January 7, 2020
7:53 pm
Rick
Members
Forum Posts: 1110

Keep my savings account open just to put the cash back in monthly. Still on the 2.75% until end of Jan. Activated it but didn't utilize it as Motive Savvy Savings is paying 2.8. I have, and probably will again, play their games, but has to be worth it....ie at least 1/2% better than where it's been sitting for the last year +. Definitely not moving it for a lesser rate. Just not interested at all for registered funds. Rate sux after promo ends and transfer fee would wipe out any gains.

January 8, 2020
5:59 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2873

lbc digital 3.3 simplii 2.8, motive 2.8. Just drop Tangerine the easy no brainer decision

January 8, 2020
7:06 am
pooreva
Banned
Forum Posts: 440

No offer e-mail for me but after logging into site, I can see one for 2.5%. Accepted since it is better than Hubert. Thanks guys for the tip.
I am not opening any more accounts at any CU or bank. Sick of the whole process, linking, etc. Unless you move millions, 0.1, 0.2% does not make difference and it might put you into higher tax bracket.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.