Nov 2019 targeted offer, 2.50% until April 30, 2020 | Tangerine Bank | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Nov 2019 targeted offer, 2.50% until April 30, 2020
November 5, 2019
11:16 am
hwyc
GTA
Members
Forum Posts: 1167
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

November wave is out

Nov 2019 targeted offer, 2.50% on new money from Nov 5, 2019 to Apr 30, 2020

Is it true ?

(If true - much lower than Simplii's 2.8% over same time frame)

November 6, 2019
4:47 pm
suburbs4life
Members
Forum Posts: 161

hwyc said
November wave is out

Nov 2019 targeted offer, 2.50% on new money from Nov 5, 2019 to Apr 30, 2020

Is it true ?

(If true - much lower than Simplii's 2.8% over same time frame)  

The best I was offered was 2.3% on existing money last week. I was told that was the best they would give me right now. This was the retentions department. They have a different marketing department that gives out what you are asking about I suspect. Ie if you empty your accounts for who knows how long.

Good luck

November 6, 2019
6:23 pm
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3920

hwyc, that's the same offer that appeared when I signed in today, click to activate if I want it. My 2.75% deal ended Sept 30, I didn't call them, just moved my money out, and now this offer came.

November 7, 2019
2:30 pm
rhvic
Victoria, BC
Members
Forum Posts: 467

I was offered 2.5% until April 30, 2020 when I logged into my account. I have accepted this, but will first top up other FIs offering up to 2.8%.

November 7, 2019
3:09 pm
GreatWhiteNorth
Members
Forum Posts: 40

Hmmm, wouldn't give me the 2.75% they offered so many others, now Simplii has their 2.80% 6 month deal out, Tangerine pops up with 2.50%. Sorry, the money's long gone.

November 7, 2019
5:53 pm
Shawguy
Members
Forum Posts: 275

I got 2.40%...but the reason I'm happy with it... Is that I have about 5k in USD earning 0.75...now earning 2.40.

So for me the inclusion of the USD savings was what got me happy.

November 8, 2019
12:35 am
implode
Members
Forum Posts: 167

GreatWhiteNorth said
Hmmm, wouldn't give me the 2.75% they offered so many others, now Simplii has their 2.80% 6 month deal out, Tangerine pops up with 2.50%. Sorry, the money's long gone.  

Ohh, I wonder if my Simplii account has 2.80% too. If so, I'd start moving now from my existing 2.75% at Tangerine that's going to end later this month.

November 8, 2019
12:48 am
implode
Members
Forum Posts: 167

Sweet, I called into Simplii and activated the 2.80%. I guess even before my 2.75% has ended, I'll start shifting some money out to Simplii since it's at a higher rate. My USD will stay as nothing comes close to 2.75%.

November 22, 2019
12:41 pm
Peter
Admin
Forum Posts: 1405

I received the Tangerine offer, but for 2.40%!

November 22, 2019
1:19 pm
moneyhelp
Members
Forum Posts: 273

Is it fair to assume if I didn't receive an offer yet, as my currently promo rate ends November 30th, then I likely won't be receiving a new promo rate?

November 24, 2019
9:14 am
Peter
Admin
Forum Posts: 1405

moneyhelp said
Is it fair to assume if I didn't receive an offer yet, as my currently promo rate ends November 30th, then I likely won't be receiving a new promo rate?  

There could be another round starting in December, although I have no idea.

November 25, 2019
10:48 pm
RicksBank
Alberta
Members
Forum Posts: 166

My previous offer (2.75%) ends Nov 30. It looks like nobody has seen higher than 2.5% going forward? Motive is 2.8%, and B2B (if I can get past the Equifax questions) is 3.3%. Time to move my money from Tangerine. It's been there for quite awhile now.

November 26, 2019
6:03 am
Londonguy
Members
Forum Posts: 535

RicksBank said
My previous offer (2.75%) ends Nov 30. It looks like nobody has seen higher than 2.5% going forward? Motive is 2.8%, and B2B (if I can get past the Equifax questions) is 3.3%. Time to move my money from Tangerine. It's been there for quite awhile now.  

Laurentian (LBC Digital) is also paying 3.30% in their HISA. You have to get past the moat of Equifax questions just like a B2B application, but IMO the premium interest rate and the extra CDIC coverage makes it worth trying.

Besides, if someone is having a problem matching their Equifax information, that problem is not going to go away by itself, so there's no time like the present to find out what the issues are and get them fixed. That starts with getting a hard copy of your Equifax file and taking note of anything that's incorrect or you've forgotten

November 26, 2019
6:30 am
Bud
Banned
Forum Posts: 1375

how does one get a copy of their equifax file? they r hard to reach. does it cost?

November 26, 2019
8:55 am
Londonguy
Members
Forum Posts: 535

Bud said
how does one get a copy of their equifax file? they r hard to reach. does it cost?  

You are legally entitled to receive a written copy of your credit file (not your score) from Equifax and/or TransUnion for free once per year. All you have to do is rustle up the necessary documentation to prove who you are and send it in.

In the case of Equifax (since B2B and LBC use them) read up here -- https://www.consumer.equifax.ca/personal/education/credit-report/how-to-get-a-free-credit-report/

This is for TransUnion -- https://transunion.ca/product/consumer-disclosure

Be careful to not get tricked into asking for your score as well, as that option costs money and provides generally useless information anyway. You only want your free credit report, period.

I recommend getting both, for your own education if nothing else. Equifax responds quicker in my experience but OTOH their file disclosure is not as detailed as the one you'll get from TransUnion, which retains your data longer.

And before somebody else brings it up, it's true that you might be able to obtain virtually the same information by signing up with one of the online credit monitoring sites (e.g. CreditKarma) that provide intermediary online access to your own bureau file, but since those sites themselves need to verify it is really you who is enrolling, they ask a lot of the same matching questions that are causing B2B & LBC applicants grief. That means that if your Equifax file is truly munged up and full of clerical errors, then your responses to sign up for a CreditKarma account probably won't match either (just like B2B or LCB didn't) and you'll be no further ahead. You'll probably just waste a lot of time and energy, and then get phobic as well from having disclosed so much personal information to a bot.

IMO there's no substitute for just going directly to the source via snail mail and getting the printed version so that you can have it in front of you to examine for errors, and then follow the correction procedures. Getting your bureaus fixed will also prevent the same online "mismatched information" denials from occurring over and over again elsewhere in the future

November 26, 2019
12:12 pm
moneyhelp
Members

Peter said

There could be another round starting in December, although I have no idea.  

I just got off the live chat with Tangerine, and asked if they can provide me with "ANY" promo rate, and unfortunately they said no. I let them know that its unfortunate, but unless they at least match Achieva's 2.3% rate (as they can see I have my Tangerine account linked to my Achieva account) then I will be transferring my funds there.

They didn't budge, so looks like my $ off too Achieva...poof! just like that.

If they would have at least matched Achieva's rate, I would have stayed with Tangerine...oh well.

November 26, 2019
3:56 pm
Dean
Valhalla Mountains, British Columbia
Members
Forum Posts: 1914

I just received this offer from Tangerine, via email ...

"So, you’ve got big plans for retirement. (Who doesn’t?!)
We’ve got something to help you out with that: get guaranteed growth for your retirement savings by locking in a special interest rate of 2.35% on a 270 Day RSP GIC."

Needless to say, I won't be responding.

I've been 'Done' with Tangerine for several months now, and the two remaining accounts I have with them both have a balance of; $0.00 .

sf-cool " Live Long, Healthy ... And Prosper! " sf-cool

November 26, 2019
9:51 pm
GoHabs
Members
Forum Posts: 27

Is there a difference between getting an offer from Marketing vs Retention? I called as my current 2.75 rate ends Nov 30 and was told I was given that rate by Marketing so that's the department I would have to speak to about another promotional rate. Waiting to hear from them.

November 26, 2019
9:58 pm
moneyhelp
Members

GoHabs said
Is there a difference between getting an offer from Marketing vs Retention? I called as my current 2.75 rate ends Nov 30 and was told I was given that rate by Marketing so that's the department I would have to speak to about another promotional rate. Waiting to hear from them.  

Is there a number they provided for the marketing team? Or did you ask them to call you? Maybe I should do the same...

November 27, 2019
3:48 pm
suburbs4life
Members
Forum Posts: 161

GoHabs said

Yes there are. I was always in contact with retentions but marketing I believe issues the new deposit rates. Ie, attract you to deposit with them. Correct me if I am wrong but that’s what the retentions dept told me. After they gave me their sub par rate.

My money is moving out at the end of Dec. I’ve had enough of begging for better rates with 6 figure sums. They gave me 2.3%. I am going to try Motive. Their rate seems to be steady.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.