[EXPIRED] $50 cash back for minimum $500 GIC | Page 2 | Tangerine Bank | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
[EXPIRED] $50 cash back for minimum $500 GIC
June 26, 2023
5:13 am
JenE
Members
Forum Posts: 416
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

When I click on the big orange square containing the $50 cash back offer it takes me to a page that says “no such offer”??? Peter’s original post link has the same result. Any answer?

June 26, 2023
5:30 am
jorno319
Members
Forum Posts: 17

JenE said
When I click on the big orange square containing the $50 cash back offer it takes me to a page that says “no such offer”??? Peter’s original post link has the same result. Any answer?  

Hi JenE,

See Peter's post #15 here https://www.highinterestsavings.ca/forum/tangerine-bank/50-cash-back-for-minimum-500-gic/#p87619

June 26, 2023
9:29 am
JenE
Members
Forum Posts: 416

Thanks Jorno319!

June 27, 2023
1:55 pm
Y.S.
Members
Forum Posts: 12

June 22/23: I clicked on the cashback offer link, completed the process, chose e-transfer for the cashback options, and was given a 22 digit number for my offer. I was transferred to Tangerine, and completed the usual type of GIC form. I was given a GIC confirmation 14 digit number, and 15 days to fund the GIC from my account. I transferred money from another institution to Tangerine. I took screenprints throughout.

June 27/23: Completed transfer to appropriate account. There was no record of the GIC. I called Tangerine.

CSR, name noted: could only repeat that Tangerine only offers cashback to new clients and credit cards and the GIC does not exist. I noted that I had screenprints. I asked for escalation to a supervisor.

SUPERVISOR, name noted: contentious, dismissive and quite aggressive. Spoke over me rapidly and loudly throughout, would not listen. He declared the offer non-existent and that highinterestsavings .ca likely is a dubious site. I referred to my screenprints and confirmation numbers. Not interested. I gave him the URL to check the offer information, with reference to Peter's post of June 23 (the Tangerine system update affecting cashback). He used the posts of other users who queried the methods of cashback to boost his argument that it didn't exist. He quoted 'cross your fingers' from one post as definitive of the scam, and maintained repeatedly and vociferously that I have to speak to Peter about this, as the offer has nothing to do with Tangerine, and ended the call abruptly. So stylish. Complaint in process.

June 27, 2023
2:01 pm
Y.S.
Members

Oh, and I've been lurking on this site for many years and, thanks to Peter and the posters (not an 80's pop group?), I have become, if not substantially rich, at least less substantially poor. Thanks folks!

June 27, 2023
4:21 pm
Peter
Admin
Forum Posts: 1405

The Tangerine reps are mostly right in that the cash back offer has nothing to do with their department. But that is a separate concern from the opening of the GIC itself. The only part the cash back offer has to play there is that the click ID is used to later confirm that the GIC was in fact opened in order to pay the cash back. The actual opening of the GIC follows the Tangerine process since it happens on the Tangerine website.

There is a notice on each offer that says something like: "The $50 cash back and $50 Amazon.ca gift card are not funded by Tangerine. If you have any queries related to this offer, please contact High Interest Savings Cash Back."

Tangerine hires affiliate marketing companies, who then set up offers with "publishers" like High Interest Savings. Tangerine pays the affiliate marketing companies, who then pay the publishers, who then pay the cash back to the end customers. (And we've had our cash back website for almost 5 years with over 1,300 individual cash back payments.) Why this separation? The short answer is that I presume that this expands on the type of marketing that financial institutions are able do. I wouldn't expect any particular Tangerine rep to know about High Interest Savings, but for them to outright call the cash back offer a scam is a surprise.

The most concerning question to me is: were you able to open the GIC?

June 27, 2023
6:02 pm
Y.S.
Members

No GIC, no record of the GIC. However, an embarrassing question arose when I reviewed the screengrab in hwyc's new Tangerine thread "15 days to fund a GIC is a bogus process (or not)?". That form reads similarly to mine, but - did we click "DONE"? Or did we screenprint and forget it, after the extra step?

Edit: hwyc reports clicking DONE.
(And thanks, Peter, for the information about the cash-back process.)

June 27, 2023
6:27 pm
Y.S.
Members

FOR CRYING OUT LOUD - as I typed the above, a Tangerine low account alert came in. The money has just been taken out of my account, credited to the wretched GIC which now is recorded properly in my account, correct in details, dated today. This system is unbelievable. And not in a good way.

July 7, 2023
8:52 pm
jorno319
Members
Forum Posts: 17

Below is my experience with this offer.

Clicked the link to open a GIC on June 20, 2023.
Offer listed as Completed on July 6, 2023.
Received cash back by Interac eTransfer on July 7, 2023.

July 8, 2023
9:02 am
krwilson
Members
Forum Posts: 148

Glad I had the faith! Easiest $50 ever.

Opened a GIC on June 21st and received the $50 bonus by Interac on July 8TH. Thank you Peter for providing the offer.

July 8, 2023
9:10 am
amidat
Members
Forum Posts: 36

I also received the $$$ today.
Thanks Peter for the promo!

July 8, 2023
10:44 am
Rail Baron
Members
Forum Posts: 269

I opened my GIC on June 23.

No bonus/rebate received yet....

July 26, 2023
8:43 am
UkrainianDude
Members
Forum Posts: 66

It has been a month.
Anyone received your $50 bonus ?

July 26, 2023
9:25 am
Rail Baron
Members
Forum Posts: 269

UkrainianDude said
It has been a month.
Anyone received your $50 bonus ?  

My bonus arrived last week, while I was on travel. I'd meant to post that news. Thanks for the reminder!

August 10, 2023
3:01 pm
fairwindw1
Members
Forum Posts: 10

opened 2 and funded them, no bonus yet , who to contact?

August 10, 2023
9:24 pm
Peter
Admin
Forum Posts: 1405

fairwindw1 said
opened 2 and funded them, no bonus yet , who to contact?  

I have followed up via email!

August 11, 2023
12:31 am
fairwindw1
Members
Forum Posts: 10

super quick follow up from the site admin, I got all my bonus now. reason is that I use one web site account to open 4 separate promo GICs, it shows as duplicate in the system. they e-transferred all the bonus directly to me

Nice work!

August 11, 2023
5:13 am
UkrainianDude
Members

fairwindw1 said
super quick follow up from the site admin, I got all my bonus now. reason is that I use one web site account to open 4 separate promo GICs, it shows as duplicate in the system. they e-transferred all the bonus directly to me

Nice work!  

Good for you. I am still waiting for my $50.

August 17, 2023
4:02 am
RAV4guy
Members
Forum Posts: 43

I have not received the $50 offered after opening my first Tangerine GIC on June 21.

August 23, 2023
10:33 am
UkrainianDude
Members

Received my $50, thanks to Peter.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.