[EXPIRED] $50 cash back for minimum $500 GIC | Tangerine Bank | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
[EXPIRED] $50 cash back for minimum $500 GIC
June 20, 2023
10:07 am
Peter
Admin
Forum Posts: 1405
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

We have a new offer on our cash back website, which is $50 cash back (via Interac e-Transfer or Amazon.ca gift certificate) if you open your first GIC at Tangerine with a minimum $500 deposit https://cashback.highinterestsavings.ca/portal/offer/10439. You can be a new or existing Tangerine client, but you must not have opened a GIC with them before.

June 20, 2023
4:21 pm
Dean
Valhalla Mountains, British Columbia
Members
Forum Posts: 1914

Thanks for the Heads-Up, Peter ❗

I'm just about to invest in my first Tangerine GIC ... their 1.5Yr GIC @ 5.50%

That $50 cash-back offer will make for a nice bonus. sf-smile

Dean

sf-cool " Live Long, Healthy ... And Prosper! " sf-cool

June 20, 2023
5:14 pm
Gogie
Members
Forum Posts: 17

At anytime during the "sign up" process for investing in a GIC with Tangerine is the $50 cash back confirmed or do you just have to complete the investment and cross your fingers? I've started the process but it never mentions the $50 cash back so I'm a little leery of completing it.

June 20, 2023
6:01 pm
COIN
Members
Forum Posts: 1109

First GIC limits the number of eligible clients.

June 20, 2023
6:19 pm
Peter
Admin

Gogie said
At anytime during the "sign up" process for investing in a GIC with Tangerine is the $50 cash back confirmed or do you just have to complete the investment and cross your fingers? I've started the process but it never mentions the $50 cash back so I'm a little leery of completing it.  

It is closer to "cross your fingers". They don't confirm the sign-up with the cash back site (me) until at least a couple of weeks later. To be fair, that is how all of the offers on the cash back website work because the cash back is being paid out by us, not the financial institution: https://cashback.highinterestsavings.ca/portal/terms

In reality, if you meet the criteria, then they will honour it, even in the few cases where some manual follow-up is required.

June 20, 2023
8:01 pm
Dean
Members

Gogie said

After reading Gogie's post , and Peter's comment in Post #5 (It is closer to "cross your fingers"), I am also quite Leery myself. This $50 cashback bonus should be confirmed up-front, Not Maybe in two weeks or more ❗

No offence intended to Peter, but this is beginning look like another one of Tangerine's Games. sf-confused

In spite of Tangerine's great rate for their 1.5Yr GIC, out of Principal I'm going to put that idea on the shelf, and take my $$$ elsewhere.

'Caveat Emptor'

Dean

June 21, 2023
4:53 am
canadian.100
Members
Forum Posts: 945

Dean said

After reading Gogie's post , and Peter's comment in Post #5 (It is closer to "cross your fingers"), I am also quite Leery myself. This $50 cashback bonus should be confirmed up-front, Not Maybe in two weeks or more ❗

No offence intended to Peter, but this is beginning look like another one of Tangerine's Games. sf-confused
In spite of Tangerine's great rate for their 1.5Yr GIC, out of Principal I'm going to put that idea on the shelf, and take my $$$ elsewhere.
'Caveat Emptor'

Dean

There does seem to be something odd with this offer - there must be more to the story we don't know.

June 21, 2023
7:36 am
krwilson
Members
Forum Posts: 148

I have faith. Always had GICs with Tangerine in my wife's account. So I just set one up with my account and I await the $50. Thank you Peter for making this offer available. I will post back when I get the $50.

June 21, 2023
10:22 am
Rail Baron
Members
Forum Posts: 269

This promotion has caught my attention too. And thanks to EQ's five day hold policy, the funds that I transferred into my savings account there have not yet been committed to their 1 year GIC.
So if the rates remain steady next week, I'll be activating Peter's link and giving this promo a try.

I've had an account at Tangerine since they were ING Direct, but rarely used it, and never bought a GIC from them. So this seems like the time to give them another try!

In the event that this all goes according to plan, and I were to get the $50 bonus, does that count as income for tax reporting purposes?

June 21, 2023
10:24 am
Dean
Members

krwilson said

I have faith. Always had GICs with Tangerine in my wife's account. So I just set one up with my account and I await the $50. Thank you Peter for making this offer available. I will post back when I get the $50.  

Like Peter said in Post #5 ... "cross your fingers".

Good Luck

Dean

June 21, 2023
5:05 pm
BlueSky
Members
Forum Posts: 144

Rail Baron said

In the event that this all goes according to plan, and I were to get the $50 bonus, does that count as income for tax reporting purposes?  

I have yet to hear about money award not being reported as revenue for income tax purpose.

June 21, 2023
6:02 pm
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6780

We explored that question previously in Are opening bank account bonuses taxable? and here.

June 22, 2023
6:53 am
frizun
Members
Forum Posts: 81

For how long is this offer available?

June 22, 2023
9:35 am
Peter
Admin

frizun said
For how long is this offer available?  

There is no end date on the cash back offer. No idea about the rates themselves!

June 23, 2023
1:55 pm
Peter
Admin

Peter said

There is no end date on the cash back offer. No idea about the rates themselves!  

Right as I said that, I've been told that Tangerine is making some system updates that would affect cash back tracking, so the cash back offer will be paused before the end of day this Sunday (June 25). I haven't been told when the updates will be complete, so it might be a month before the offer returns.

June 24, 2023
8:50 am
Rail Baron
Members

I expedited my GIC purchase last night to qualify for this promotion. I clicked on the link and accepted the terms, then proceeded to Tang's web site to set up the GIC.

But I'm not clear how I will actually get the Interac transfer? I provided no additional information about my account details for that payment, either on the cash back page, or the Tangerine web site.

Looking forward to seeing how this all works.

June 24, 2023
10:25 am
Lodown
Members
Forum Posts: 196

Peter said

In reality, if you meet the criteria, then they will honour it, even in the few cases where some manual follow-up is required.  

So approximately when can we expect see the $50 bonus email from time the GIC is setup?

June 25, 2023
6:56 am
UkrainianDude
Members
Forum Posts: 66

Done.
Opened my first GIC with Tangerine 5.5% , $10k
Saved offer ID. Now I wait for my $50 etransfer.
Will update once received.
Thanks.

June 25, 2023
8:30 am
Peter
Admin

Rail Baron said
But I'm not clear how I will actually get the Interac transfer? I provided no additional information about my account details for that payment, either on the cash back page, or the Tangerine web site.

When the tracking works as it should, it's just the click ID that's associated with your account, and your account has an email address for the purpose of sending the payment. You can modify the email address at https://cashback.highinterestsavings.ca/portal/payment_details.

Lodown said

So approximately when can we expect see the $50 bonus email from time the GIC is setup?  

It should take 2-4 weeks. You can find out more in the "Cash Back Rebates" section at https://cashback.highinterestsavings.ca/portal/terms

June 25, 2023
8:35 am
Rail Baron
Members

Peter said

It should take 2-4 weeks. You can find out more in the "Cash Back Rebates" section at https://cashback.highinterestsavings.ca/portal/terms  

Thanks for clarifying how your system works for these rebates. I have logged in to that site and confirmed my email and the "click" record of my purchasing the Tangerine GIC.

I am looking forward to a bit of Christmas in July!

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.